The Dark Knight Rises vs The Hunger Games

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

Which of these made for the better movie?

Personally, as much as I liked TDKR (and Batman still kicks the most @ss), I have to admit that it let me down on some level. I can't say the same for The Hunger Games. Maybe that's not fair because I didn't have super high expectations for THG, but it didn't just meet my expectation it exceeded them.

Both Great movies, but upon reflection I think I liked The Hunger Games more.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I keep meaning to watch Hunger Games because I hear good things, but for some reason I can never motivate myself to watch it.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#3 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I enjoyed both films, but Dark Knight Rises was defenitaly the better of the two. Bane was a great villian, but I wonder how he eats? Also Ann Hathaway is so beautiful...

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

The Hunger Games had a better story imo, really a metaphor for modern society. Jennifer Lawrence is a amazing as well. TDKR was just more of the same from the trilogy. It had some huge flaws as well.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serraph105

I enjoyed both films, but Dark Knight Rises was defenitaly the better of the two. Bane was a great villian, but I wonder how he eats? Also Ann Hathaway is so beautiful...

ShadowMoses900
I will give you Anne Hathaway. She's my Hollywood crush.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#6 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

The Hunger Games had a better story imo, really a metaphor for modern society. Jennifer Lawrence is a amazing as well. TDKR was just more of the same from the trilogy. It had some huge flaws as well.

BossPerson

Hunger Games defenitately had more social themes around it, no doubt. But I thought the acting and action was better in TDKR.

BTW I am looking forward to your PM, unless you are done with that conversation.

m3rksec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 m3rksec
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Dark Knight Rises ftw. Flawless victory.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
I preferred TDKR. The Hunger games was just 'meh' to me. I was sorely disappointed by the films effects even, didn't seem up to par with any big budget movie.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
TDKR
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

never seen TDKR. not really into the batman movies.

loved Hunger Games though.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Hunger Games is awful

It's too feminine for any males to like it and it's too masculine for any females to like it.

Batman win hands down, at least it's written so that it appeals to an audience, not sitting on the fence alienating both sides.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

TDKR. I'm not an angstry teenage girl.

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
Hunger Games was a pretty good movie but TDKR was much better imo.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

I'm sorry, but this is a serious thread? The Hunger Games is not even in the same league. Who would vote that over The Dark Knight Rises? It is good, but definitely not that good.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Serraph105

I'm sorry, but this is a serious thread? The Hunger Games is not even in the same league. Who would vote that over The Dark Knight Rises? It is good, but definitely not that good.

SouL-Tak3R
say what you want, but TDKR had obvious flaws.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
male hero wins
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

SouL-Tak3R
TDKR sucked big time. =P
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Serraph105
I will give you Anne Hathaway. She's my Hollywood crush.

nerdiest girl on big screen
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
The Hunger Games was like watching a horror film where everyone is the dumb one. The acting was horrible coming from all of the "kids". There wasn't a single surprise throughout the story.
Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
I couldn't sit threw Hunger Games in one sitting, had to split it up. But Jennifer Lawrence is a totally hottie. I give her the edge of Hathaway because she's younger.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

The Dark Knight Rises by far,Jennifer Lawrence was the best thing about The Hunger Games though.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

The Hunger Games was like watching a horror film where everyone is the dumb one. The acting was horrible coming from all of the "kids". There wasn't a single surprise throughout the story. CreasianDevaili

Haha, that is quite an apt description of it actually. The casting was pretty terrible given the context of the story, The main characters Katniss and Peeta are supposed to be from a very impoverished district yet they look healthy and not in want of sustenance.

Well the Hunger Games is quite a decent movie to be honest. But it's fairly hollow, at its best it is a critique on societies obsession on reality TV entertainment by making it something like a gladiatorial arena.

Well on to the subject in hand: The two are hardly comparable in the first place, as the only thing they have in common is that both are movies.
If we look at the critical acclaim: The Dark Knight Rises has a 78/100 on Metacritic while The Hunger Games has a 67/100 on the same site, a pretty big margin on that. And if we look at the box office reception: The Dark Knight Rises made over one billion dollars and The Hunger Games made around seven hundred million.

So based on that, the clear winner is The Dark Knight Rises.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

I enjoyed both, but liked TDKR a lot more.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#24 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="SouL-Tak3R"]

Allicrombie

TDKR sucked big time. =P

Remind me not to rely on you for movies.>.>

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]The Hunger Games was like watching a horror film where everyone is the dumb one. The acting was horrible coming from all of the "kids". There wasn't a single surprise throughout the story. SirWander

Haha, that is quite an description of it actually. The casting was pretty terrible given the context of the story, The main characters Katniss and Peeta are supposed to be from a very impoverished district yet they look healthy and not in want of sustenance.

Well the Hunger Games is quite a decent movie to be honest. But it's fairly hollow, at its best it is a critique on societies obsession on reality TV entertainment by making it something like a gladiatorial arena.

Well on to the subject in hand: The two are hardly comparable in the first place, as the only thing they have in common is that both are movies.
If we look at the the critical acclaim: The Dark Knight Rises has a 78/100 on Metacritic while The Hunger Games has a 67/100 on the same site, a pretty big margin on that. And if we look at the box office reception: The Dark Knight Rises made over one billion dollars and The Hunger Games made around seven hundred million.

Which we already have a better movie for that type of thing,The Running Man.. With Ahnold.

white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 white_wolf922
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

Hunger Games is awful

It's too feminine for any males to like it and it's too masculine for any females to like it.

Batman win hands down, at least it's written so that it appeals to an audience, not sitting on the fence alienating both sides.

Jaysonguy

Holy gender stereotypes Batman! I am a male and really like the Hunger Games. I know many females who liked it and several other males.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

On the topic of that AHNULD I want a The Running Man "remake" that's more faithful to Richard Bachman, aka Steve King's original novel.

But then again, the post 9/11 America would probably prevent the ending of the book from being translated to the screen.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts
What's the versus thingy about, which one sucked more? I didn't like the third Christopher Nolan Batman movie, though I really liked the previous two. Guess I didn't care much for Anne Hathaway playing Catwoman, she seemed like she belonged in one of those bad post-Tim Burton Batman films, and she always seemed to have lipstick smeared on her teeth like she's a 6 year old who got into her mothers make-up, personally I don't think they could have done any worse bringing Halle Berry back to play Catwoman. And there really wasn't much else going on with Christian Bale being crippled useless for most the film. Though I did like Bane as a bad guy, wished they really could have done more with him in the film. But I was glad in the end they at least got Joseph Gordon-Levitt as a role for a future sequel. And I'm so friggin tired of seeing Gary Oldman playing Gordon, he can play such a great bad guy in films it's just so dull seeing him play Gordon, granted the role isn't as boring as it was in that Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy piece of crap movie; his role in the first Nolan Batman movie seemed fine since they were stacking the cast but now seeing him is like a cameo of little significance. And I didn't much care for Hunger Games, when the good characters got killed I thought it was just way too convenient to avoid that confrontation of them actually having to kill each other if they were all that's left. And I also didn't like that the bad kid wasn't as bad as he should have been, I mean if you're going to rip-off Battle Royale at least do it some justice, bring in the raging psychopath who volunteered out of sheer bloodlust. And the whole premise of the Hunger Games being built as a form of social control just seemed stupid to me because why'd they really need social control, I don't see any need for it because apparantly society is so advanced they can digitally manifest fireballs and random monsters into the real world with the touch of buttons, hard to imagine nobody though of utilizing their Utopian technology to maybe produce food, robotic labor, leave no reason to exploit the poor for labor or resources. But hey, the books are getting young kids interested in reading that's fine by me, but just because Barney the dinosaur might have gotten kids to be nice to each other doesn't mean I have to like it either.
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
[QUOTE="Allicrombie"] TDKR sucked big time. =P

I agree. Batman & Robin > TDKR
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

TDKR by a mile. THG was good. I'll say it had the better setting of the two, but storywise and enjoyment factor--Batman won that.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
The Dark Knight Rises and it's not really that close. The Hunger Games was alright but I felt like part of it still tried hard to appeal to the Twilight-type fanbase and that soured me on the movie some. I'd take Battle Royale over both of them
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

I'd take Battle Royale over both of themJML897

This. Of the 2, I'd go with TDKR even though I was disappointed with parts of the movie.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Will never read or watch the Hunger games. Ever.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#34 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

When it comes down to it, The Dark Knight Rises is just objectively better then The Hunger Games in so many ways. The atmosphere, the direction, the acting, the characters, the pacing, its all just more fluid and polished to me and I think more appealing then The Hunger Games film (which I think was trying to appeal to the teen crowd a bit more then the book, but I might be imagining that since the book was a good young adult novel and all).

Only one of those movies stirred my emotions and immersed me into the moment, and it was the Batman film.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

I keep meaning to watch Hunger Games because I hear good things, but for some reason I can never motivate myself to watch it.chessmaster1989
just watch it, it sucks you in quite quickly after her offer as tribute. alternatively you can buy the books to enjoy the thrill of what will happen next.

JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JoGoSo
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts

Enjoyed Hunger Games better.

Hated Rises' ending with a passion and although I enjoyed the rest of the movie, Hunger Games was pretty satisfying all around.

HybridPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HybridPhoenix
Member since 2007 • 3598 Posts
Well...I could watch Hunger Games without being horribly annoyed and borderline pissed off the entire time..
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Serraph105
[QUOTE="JML897"]The Dark Knight Rises and it's not really that close. The Hunger Games was alright but I felt like part of it still tried hard to appeal to the Twilight-type fanbase and that soured me on the movie some. I'd take Battle Royale over both of them

Someone would argue that this is little more than an argument of Battle Royale vs Rocky 4.
Avatar image for Cyanide4Suicid3
Cyanide4Suicid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cyanide4Suicid3
Member since 2012 • 733 Posts
I love both movies, but I liked TDKR more. Jennifer Lawrence is pretty sexy though lol
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178872 Posts
TDKR....no contest. THG wasn't anything original. It was okay....and predictable.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#41 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

The Hunger Games is so trite. It's weird to me how much hype the franchise has gotten.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]The Hunger Games was like watching a horror film where everyone is the dumb one. The acting was horrible coming from all of the "kids". There wasn't a single surprise throughout the story. SirWander

Haha, that is quite an apt description of it actually. The casting was pretty terrible given the context of the story, The main characters Katniss and Peeta are supposed to be from a very impoverished district yet they look healthy and not in want of sustenance.

If we look at the critical acclaim: The Dark Knight Rises has a 78/100 on Metacritic while The Hunger Games has a 67/100 on the same site, a pretty big margin on that. And if we look at the box office reception: The Dark Knight Rises made over one billion dollars and The Hunger Games made around seven hundred million.

I think the supporting cast, namely the adults, was fine. But yes the notion that it is a critique on reality TV would be a better way to look at it if the disconnects were mostly on the side of the officials and not pretty much everyone. It was almost entirely childish from the view of the kids in the arena. I think only the black older male kid showed anything that i'd call realization. The context was good but it was dull in adaption. It is a bit hard to get into what was so gosh darn annoying without spoiling it the unlucky souls still wanting to watch it.

Suffice to say if they used nerf balls I would of been more entertained. Least it would of fit with the acting.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 champion837
Member since 2012 • 1423 Posts

[QUOTE="SirWander"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]The Hunger Games was like watching a horror film where everyone is the dumb one. The acting was horrible coming from all of the "kids". There wasn't a single surprise throughout the story. CreasianDevaili

I think the supporting cast, namely the adults, was fine. But yes the notion that it is a critique on reality TV would be a better way to look at it if the disconnects were mostly on the side of the officials and not pretty much everyone. It was almost entirely childish from the view of the kids in the arena. I think only the black older male kid showed anything that i'd call realization. The context was good but it was dull in adaption. It is a bit hard to get into what was so gosh darn annoying without spoiling it the unlucky souls still wanting to watch it.

Suffice to say if they used nerf balls I would of been more entertained. Least it would of fit with the acting.

The problem with The Hunger Games is that it was a little too hollywood esque... [spoiler] The main character was supposed to be a hero but at the end she was still a puppet. Yeah she won but all of the other kids were killed and the Hunger Games continued. TDKR on the other hand even being a superhero movie maintained a sense of community (Gotham) that imo is the biggest distinction that it has from other action movies. What makes that movie so special is that you get the sense that the whole community is fighting the villain, and not just the antagonist, but many different hurdles that are a challenge to civilization. [/spoiler]

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Definitely 'The Dark Knight Rises', though 'The Hunger Games' is good.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#45 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

The Hunger Games is so trite. It's weird to me how much hype the franchise has gotten.

GreySeal9
and there was no hype surrounding TDKR?
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 champion837
Member since 2012 • 1423 Posts
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Allicrombie

What? What he said had nothing to do with TDKR.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178872 Posts
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Allicrombie

But Batman.....:o
JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JoGoSo
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts

GreySeal9
The thing that perhaps bugs me the most about Rises is that it pretends to not be trite.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

I enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises more. It had its flaws, but the movie was just so epic in almost every way possible. That being said, I still enjoyed The Hunger Games quite a bit. I was afraid they would turn it into Twilight 2.0, but I was pleasently surprised at the solid acting, good atmosphere and faithful adaptation of the novels plot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#50 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

People honestly liked The Hunger Games? I thought it was quite bad and plain idiotic. Battle Royale was much more interesting and violent... THG is just BR for the Twilight audience :P