Unpopular opinion:Anyone Else just really hate anime?

• 65 results
SoloSerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SoloSerpent
Member since 2018 • 20 Posts

I'm aware hate is a strong word must be one of peoples favorite thing to say.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts

I don't hate it but I'm not a fan. If I do watch it, I prefer English dub and that seems to trigger a lot of anime fans. I can't stand the high pitch screeching.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

i hate alot of anime, its commonly over sexualised to a ridiculous point, or it drags out way to much just like a lot of tv shows are now. in saying that there are a handful i do enjoy (fullmetal alchemist and van hellsing) because its animated it can do amazing things with a much smaller budget.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Haven't watched anime in a very long time but I had my phase. There were a few shows I watched for years and I quite enjoyed myself. I can see why some people would really dislike it though.

@SOedipus said:

I don't hate it but I'm not a fan. If I do watch it, I prefer English dub and that seems to trigger a lot of anime fans. I can't stand the high pitch screeching.

I don't think that sentiment is exclusive to anime fans. A lot of people hate dubbing of any kind, or even any sort of translation. I try to watch things in their original language, with the help of subtitles if need be and am especially strict when it comes to books. If I'm fluent enough with a book's original language I will not read a translated version, regardless of how how good quality said translation might be.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By npiet1

@SOedipus: i prefer dub too, i just wanna watch tv without reading it. its ridiculous how triggered they get when you tell them.

SoloSerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SoloSerpent

@SOedipus: They might be elistists it's only a guess either way i'd rather watch something my language.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

Anime is quite a broad term though. Studio Ghibli is quite different to say Naroto or a million other series about kids killing monsters. Fist of the North Star is of its age and good for the craziness that it is. I liked violence jack and vampire hunter d but 90% of it is computer aided and annoying overblown silly fight sequences then hours of talking.

Also, why are their eyes so big. They didn’t used to be.

I prefer 80’s anime in some ways and the French stuff but I have no interest in what is mainstream anime these days.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#8 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@soloserpent:

Ahem......****....you!

That is all.. ?

SoloSerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SoloSerpent

@nepu7supastar7: good for you

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By npiet1

@nepu7supastar7: i bet you watch dub haha

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts

@korvus said:

@SOedipus said:

I don't think that sentiment is exclusive to anime fans. A lot of people hate dubbing of any kind, or even any sort of translation. I try to watch things in their original language, with the help of subtitles if need be and am especially strict when it comes to books. If I'm fluent enough with a book's original language I will not read a translated version, regardless of how how good quality said translation might be.

True. I prefer subtitles and original language with films and stuff. Just not with anime.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#12 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@npiet1:

I watch both dub and sub. If it's anime, I'm good for either one.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

I don't hate it, but I don't see the appeal of it at all either. Different strokes I guess.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

Yes and no.

I dislike most anime, if not for stereotypical characters, then for terrible plots and so forth.

But I love, love, love a lot of anime at the same time. Studio Ghibli can do no wrong, and I seem to have enjoyed most things published by "Funimation" on Netflix because every time I see that company attached to a film or show it seems to be good. I enjoy the weirdness and violence of anime in shows such as Elfen Lied, Attack on Titan, and Ninja Scrolls while also enjoying some of the light hearted stuff like One Punch Man, and even Kill La Kill with it's awkward self-aware, self-debasing humor about the anime genre.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't hate them. But, I have no interest in them either. Black Lagoon is the only thing close to an anime that I like... What initially attracted me to it was the PT boat....Elco-type PT boat, same layout as JFK's PT-109.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

I used to watch a lot of anime, but not so much anymore. That said I don't hate it, I just don't spend much time with it. Hating anime is a bit weird to me though considering how broad their scope can be. It's a bit like saying, "I hate watching tv shows," because they basically have a show for everyone out there, and unless you just hate sitting around and watching a screen and find it inherrently boring you will almost certainly be able to find some show out there that appeals to you. The same goes for anime, if you inherrently hate staring at a screen or just hate cartoons then yeah, you won't like it, but there's almost certainly an anime out there that will be about some topic or genre that you're interested in.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59327 Posts

Alot of it yea.

Ippo/DB/Ninja Scroll good though. Akira cool too, even though it's plot is incomprehensible.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#18 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I watched it for the first time a couple years ago. I've mostly watched pretty basic stuff like Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note, but I like it. There are times when I find the material questionable or uncomfortably dramatic/goofy in some way. But otherwise I think there are plenty of tolerable series out there. Though, I did venture a little too far one time and watched a show that had a sex scene between characters that were like 14. So I'm probably on a list or something now.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#19 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

I would not say I am a fan of anime.

There are some I like. Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite shows all time, and I really like the idea behind Attack on Titan.

Overall, they are mostly over the top and of little interest to me.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Hate no. I don't watch a ton of anime for the reasons people mention though. Alot of it gets too silly to the point of being dumb.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

don't hate it, just have zero interest.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9839 Posts

Can't stand it. No matter how critically acclaimed a game is, I can't play it if it is anime.

LimitlessHalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23 LimitlessHalf
Member since 2018 • 19 Posts

@SOedipus said:

About the high pitch voices.. YES! YES thank you!

I like Anime. Well, I like what I consider to be good anime, which means I don't like most anime. So I suppose you can say I don't like anime.

I also won't watch anime with subtitles.

Also, if I get into anime and I like the English voice acting, if I ever hear the native voice acting it triggers negative reactions. Example: Goku in English versus Goku in Japanese.

There are some English voice actors I like, no matter what show it is. Like the guy that did Spike in Cowboy Bebop. I'm pretty sure he's the evil beetle in the Turbo cartoon series on Netflix, so I enjoy when he's in an episode.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

I'm an Otake and all I gotta say is:

SoloSerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SoloSerpent

@comp_atkins: pretty much the same with me the obvious intelligent answer except for the fact that all the weirdos of generation y and z(my gen unfortunately) make it the ultimate cringe

SoloSerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SoloSerpent

@davillain-: The anime fanbase the 2nd weirdest of them all like any other fanbase will obviously be defensive but you guys do it best either way free speech some people obviously cant take the heat and make lame childish hater jokes the reality is there will always be haters either in conclusion good for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I watch only the popular ones like one punch man, attack on titan or death note or the shonen ones like My Hero Academia. Other anime and stuff I find them boring.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Anime is an entire medium, not necessarily a genre. There is a -lot- of anime out there, and the differences between different anime films can be as wide as the differences between traditional films. That said, a -lot- of anime is pretty derivative of the anime that came before it, and as a result much of it tends to fall into a handful of familiar tropes. Slice of life high school student love triangle, giant fighting robots, supernatural teens, superhero genre, or some combination of all of those. That's why it's so cool when something as original as Death Note comes out which isn't any of those. Or Attack on Titan.

-Byshop

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#29 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Not hate but i don't get into many of them. The art looks the same across the board and their comedy sucks to me.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Cause they mainly focus on the ecchi, hentai/perverted ones, usually with lollie girls with high pitch super kawaii voice.

Nope don't hate anime, love anime. :P

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 npiet1

@Byshop said:

Anime is an entire medium, not necessarily a genre. There is a -lot- of anime out there, and the differences between different anime films can be as wide as the differences between traditional films. That said, a -lot- of anime is pretty derivative of the anime that came before it, and as a result much of it tends to fall into a handful of familiar tropes. Slice of life high school student love triangle, giant fighting robots, supernatural teens, superhero genre, or some combination of all of those. That's why it's so cool when something as original as Death Note comes out which isn't any of those. Or Attack on Titan.

-Byshop

Probably this, while i havnt found many ive liked about 8. I watched fma about every 8 months for the past 10 years. Ive never seen anything like it or come close.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily say hating anime is an unpopular opinion.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127527 Posts

@korvus said:

Haven't watched anime in a very long time but I had my phase. There were a few shows I watched for years and I quite enjoyed myself. I can see why some people would really dislike it though.

@SOedipus said:

Honestly, I was surprised how common it was to dub shows. When I grew up, only kids shows and movies where dubbed. Those that where aimed at the 10 years and younger or so it seems.

@comp_atkins said:

don't hate it, just have zero interest.

I've had my phase with it. These days I don't have time for it.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3497 Posts

Why do you hate anime?

For me, I like anime, but I don't follow it nowadays. I prefer mainstream anime. Definitely not into those cutesy kiddy chibi anime or whatever you call them. Went comic-con last year just for fun, it was a good experience... until me and my mate watched the anime cosplay performance competition... was very weird for me.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

@360ru13r said:

Hate no. I don't watch a ton of anime for the reasons people mention though. Alot of it gets too silly to the point of being dumb.

Agreed.

I like a good action sequence, or some decent narrative. But it just gets too silly. Especially Anime with kid protagonists, those are so ridiculous.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I like anime cause it offers more varied stories than most other media.

And as for the haters:

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Used to be a huge fan. Mostly stick to hentai now since anime these days is just fan service and no other substance.

Still waiting for the new FLCL and Attack on Titan, though.

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts

I guess I do get it, seeing what titles are hyped. I am not too much into shounen so I usually do not watch it unless I want to say I watched it like with Attack on Titan which if they went a different route, I would have enjoyed it better. As I am getting older, a lot of anime is more on the okay side. There isn't a lot of anime that comes out that is actually above average these days to me.

As for the ecchi stuff unfortunately it is popular because some people are perverts not sure how else to explain it. lol I even like watching it because I just want to see what nonsense they came up with this time. There have been questions when it comes to anime like Eromanga Sensei but eh looks like it might not be stopping anytime soon.

I don't really care if people rather watch dubs because I still watch dubs even though most of the time I watch subs. The main reason for that because the services I pay for and I don't go to other sites to watch anime... just don't feel like it. I do have arguments with people online about this... even I tell people about the screeching female VAs. There have been times when the dub sounds similar to the sub and people still complain. I have to turn down the TV when I am watching a moe or a show with mostly female characters. I do play a lot of JRPGs and breathe a sigh of relief when a company announces there will be a dub especially if it is a moe-centered game.

A lot of anime fans are pretty weird so while I have some friends into anime. it is not many. I think it may have a lot to do with social issues in general.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

Used to be a huge fan. Mostly stick to hentai now since anime these days is just fan service and no other substance.

Still waiting for the new FLCL and Attack on Titan, though.

I recommend you should watch "Darling in the Franxx" it's really good and maybe check out a few Gundam series cause they are still fun to watch from old to new.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10553 Posts

i used to watch it when i was a kid in the 90s. mainly because i was really into art and drawing. akira utterly blew my mind when i first saw it. the first 15 mins or so were breathtaking. i didn't tend to get much further in than that because, like uninspiredcup said, i hadn't the foggiest idea what was going on

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

No I like anime, but I haven't really watched in a long time, took a break from it.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts

@SOedipus said:

I generally don't hate dubs myself but I do spend a lot of time listening to Japanese dubs when it comes to many of the newer main stream animes like Bleach and Naruto. When it comes to English dubs, its not the translation that bothers me, its the actors themselves sounding out of place to the characters their voicing. They just sound....plain; either they're lacking energy and emotion or it feels like they are trying too hard to fake them both. Like a bunch of amateurs decided to get together in a basement to do voice overs for an anime out of boredom. Shows like Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball Z, Berserk, Black Lagoon, and Yu Yu Hakusho all have top notch quality voice acting imo. Anime like those I actually enjoy more in English than Japanese because the voice acting in those shows actually sound like they naturally fit the characters being voiced...

On topic: Although I do enjoy watching anime, I haven't payed much attention to what's new in recent years. Been a couple years since there was something that interest me enough to invest time toward. I mainly just rewatch the oldies...

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 shellcase86

Despite my riff on kid protagonists, earlier, started watching Full Metal Alchemist this week. Pretty good, thus far.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3497 Posts
@shellcase86 said:

Despite my riff on kid protagonists, earlier, started watching Full Metal Alchemist this week. Pretty good, thus far.

Full Metal Alchemist is a gem

SoloSerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SoloSerpent

@Gaming-Planet: hentai?...weirdos like you are not normal

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

I don't hate things I'm not forced to experience. I'd even go as far as to say I like anime, I just don't watch it because priorities and not enough time in the day.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 shellcase86

@omegamaster said:
@shellcase86 said:

Full Metal Alchemist is a gem

This will sound really naive/ignorant, but I didn't realize how great the drawing/artwork is in this series until I started rewatching. Love that the colors are more muted than typical anime.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@soloserpent said:

@Gaming-Planet: hentai?...weirdos like you are not normal

Got 2nd most searched on the you-know-what-hub.

Ace121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ace121
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

Qhy should anybody hate anything without being forced to watch it or interact with it in any way? Why the hatred? :D