25th Anniversary of Heretic 2. The last great Heretic/Hexen Game.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Today marks the 25th Anniversary of the last entry into the Heretic/Hexen franchise.

Ever since the rise of boomer shooters in the last 5 years, since 2018-2019, these type of games have become more and more popular as seen by the recent remaster of Quake 2. Community made mods and patches is now available and Heretic 2 has been updated to the latest version to celebrate it's 25th Anniversary and it's free to download.

Link

Surprisingly with the Quake 2 engine and with the newer effects in the updated mods and patch, it looks pretty good at 1080P and above. Goes to show how far the Quake 2 engine was when compared to consoles at the time. The game was severely underrated and got overlooked by Half-Life when Half-Life was released couple of weeks later which overtook it in terms of hype and popularity. In other words, it had the misfortunate of being released around the time of Half-Life just like SiN which was also underrated.

Enjoy to those who want to try a blast from the past on modern PCs!

Gamespot's review of Heretic 2:

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/heretic-ii-review/1900-2537536/

Was pretty good!

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

I hope Raven gets pulled off CoD support duty and makes a new Hexen. It's a dirty word among us old gamers, but this is a series that could benefit from some "modern" sensibilities. Not saying it needs a floating arrow pointing where to go next, but it would be nice to get SOME indication what that switch I just flipped did.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58971 Posts

Love the Nightdive treatment of these.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Xtasy26

@judaspete said:

I hope Raven gets pulled off CoD support duty and makes a new Hexen. It's a dirty word among us old gamers, but this is a series that could benefit from some "modern" sensibilities. Not saying it needs a floating arrow pointing where to go next, but it would be nice to get SOME indication what that switch I just flipped did.

Well Phil Spencer did wear a Hexen t-shirt. It's a travesty that Raven has been wasting time over the last 10+ years working on crap CoD support instead of working on original titles or follow up to their other titles they worked on. There were a lot of talented folks at Raven. Of course they would have to adjust to modern sensibilities, no indication of which switch to pull or making it hard to find your way through the map would be too much for most people but it would need to be somewhat challenging and less hand holding like today's games.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xtasy26
@uninspiredcup said:

Love the Nightdive treatment of these.

I hope so. Nightdive has been hitting it out of the park with these remasters.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4225 Posts

I prefer hexen 2. Nonetheless, heretic 2 is a good game.