This topic is locked from further discussion.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

How are they?

As in performance and noise? I got the Corsair H100 when it first came years ago. Today I don't think I would accept the minimum noise level from it. I know I can regulate the noise to some extent by lowering the fan rpm, however I am interested in the noise from the unit itself. Is this better these days?

I am doing a rebuild of my secondary computer. Going for smaller case. Wondering if I should get an AIO or stay with aircooling on the CPU. Dunno which CPU yet, other than most likely being an AMD, one of the cheaper 6 cores variants. Preferably the 5000 series. For AIO I am limited to 120 rad size.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

Can't even hear my PC after it boots up. I forgot the brand (it's a common one, though) but it's one of the two-fan radiators.

Haven't tried overclocking it since my CPU is fairly new, I got it mostly for noise reduction.

It's very quiet. Can only hear my PC when you're within a couple feet of it.

*Ah, it was this one. Corsair 115i

Next PC I build, I think I might make a custom watercooling loop. Or at least cool my GPU, I think those fans are probably the noisiest.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 horgen  Moderator

@mrbojangles25: The GPU will be watercooled. It's getting my old 2080 which will be cooled with a 240 rad.

The H115 is one or two generations newer than the H100 I had. Glad to hear the pump is quiet.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

First you need a quiet case - you might look for be quiet cases Silent Base 601 / 800 are the one you're looking for.

"Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix got a Zero RPM mode for silent operation while the system is cool."

EVGA CLC 280mm and Corsair Hydro Series H100i Pro are also good options. ("No, the best thing about the new H100i Pro RGB is the noise it makes… or rather the lack of noise.")

If you're not declining air coolers then you should also consider Noctua or some Be Quiet CPU coolers. (didn't mention D15 because you said you want some smaller case)

"Corsair H115i RGB Platinum is the quietest option you will find without having to sacrifice too much in regards to actual cooling performance."

Looks like Corsair top end gets all the credits for being the quietest AIO coolers probably because they're using their top of the line magnetic new CPU case fans installed which are competitors to Noctua case fans but with RGB included.

final words: if you want aesthetics going windowed with RGB lights then you should get some AIO cooler if not an air cooler would do the job just fine if not even better combined with high quality fans.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@gerygo: The case is NZXT H210i. Height of the case was the most limiting factor in deciding which one. The GPU is getting watercooled, as it will run 24/7 folding at home. That is the RTX 2080.

CPU wise I was thinking ITX board. PErhaps Asrock B550 with either 3600 or 5600 from AMD.

An AIO cooling would make the case more "open" instead of a large air cooler. However if they are noisy, I'll go for a large aircooler instead. I know the amount of noise coming from the pump I got for the GPU, if that or the front fans are the most noisy stuff in it, I will be happy with the overall noise level from it.

The only place the case has room for a 240 rad is in the front. 280 rad is to big despite it having room for 2*140 fans in front. The rest of the airvents on it only has room for 120 fans/rads.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GeryGo  Moderator

@horgen: So you're going mini ITX build without sacrificing much then you could even install the all might D15 from Noctua.

"CPU Cooler: Up to 165mm" "Height (with fan)165 mm"

It's going to be real tight but it's possible FYI.

If you do not want to risk it then U12 or U14 would do a great job, heck even EVO212 with Corsair magnetic case fans / Noctua would do the job.

NZXT Kraken M22 is the best looker for 120mm AIO but you'll have to change it's fan because it's the loudest.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Irrelevant which to buy really, I always slap Noctua fans on them.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator

@gerygo said:

@horgen: So you're going mini ITX build without sacrificing much then you could even install the all might D15 from Noctua.

"CPU Cooler: Up to 165mm" "Height (with fan)165 mm"

It's going to be real tight but it's possible FYI.

If you do not want to risk it then U12 or U14 would do a great job, heck even EVO212 with Corsair magnetic case fans / Noctua would do the job.

NZXT Kraken M22 is the best looker for 120mm AIO but you'll have to change it's fan because it's the loudest.

I am considering it. The black version though. It would fit better with the colours.

Also considering dismantling the EK 240 rad I got and paint the casing white.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GeryGo  Moderator

@horgen: Fun fact: Asus ROG RYUJIN AIO uses

I guess they had in mind to be the best you have to get the best

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator

@gerygo: Maybe I should use those as intake fans on my rad.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

I just got a AIO not to long ago. Its a Dell Inspirion 5400 with 11th Generation Intel Core i7 in it and Nivida Geforce MX330 graphics in it.