Any PC gamer interest in Intel's newest CPU aka Alder Lake? Update: Alder Lake Reviews are here!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56192 Posts

Intel finally has got their butts off the chair and doing something for once! Its Intel's 12th gen they finally back to innovating is a good sign for competition, being stuck on 14nm for so long, (7yrs) Alder Lake is 10nm SuperFin process, this is really new tech coming from Intel. Here's the latest article we know so far regarding Alder Lake: Alder Lake: Everything we know about Intel’s upcoming 12th-gen hybrid chips and as for release date, for all know, it could be this November 2021.

For me, my build is pretty fresh, R5 5600X/RTX 2070. Not buying anything new until DDR5 has surpassed the best DDR4, and then current CPU/MOBO take advantage of that. And then, I'll build a new PC and going with the best performer, no brand loyalty👌

Update: Alder Lake reviews are in, so take your tech youtuber's pick:

GamerNexus:

Hardware Unboxed:

And we can't forget about Linus Tech now can we?:

Performance looks good. Would probably get the i7-12700K if I was going to buy one just to be right in between i5-12600K & i9-12900K for that price alone. That i9-12900K however is out of my league on that price!

With all that said, Intel is back on top in gaming, although as also expected, with a disappointing lead. It's not even 15% faster than Zen 3 with all stops. New platform, newuArch, New coolers, DDR5. new windows scheduler, optimized for new windows. and still basically just 5 to 10% daster on average. Zen 3's 3D cache update which is going on sale in two months was demonstrably faster than Alder Lake.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

My build is pretty good for the time being, but I am interested in what Intel has to offer. I went AMD for the first time on this PC (for CPU) in a long time; my previous three or four builds have always been Intel + Nvidia.

Waiting to see how their GPU's are before I commit to a new build, because I am interested in what Intel will have to offer in that department; no doub they will find some way to make an Intel CPU and Intel GPU work together better with some proprietary tech.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17823 Posts

I am in no rush for a new build. I will most likely upgrade my 3080 before my 9900K/Z390/16GB DDR4 combo. I am not getting CPU bottlenecks in games and it is still pretty good for productivity tasks.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2144 Posts

0 interest here, though I might consider Zen3+ at some point. DDR4 will be good for half a decade at the very least, especially if you run 3200+ MHz.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7307 Posts

I won't be upgrading soon, but this all looks pretty cool. Honestly, I think Intel's biggest troubles are marketing and PR, more than manufacturing issues. They sell themselves short using old measurement methods (transistor density is about on par with AMD despite the HUGE 14nm process), and the shifting leadership makes them look mired in chaos.

If nothing else, a lot of this new architecture will give their marketing department some bullet points to work with.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I'm due for a CPU upgrade, was thinking of going Ryzen but I might hold off a bit and see how these look, especially with the reports of Windows 11 and Ryzen not playing well together.

if these are a big jump i'll be happy to pony up for brand new tech that will last me an extra year or two

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17862 Posts

I don't understand the use of efficiency cores on a desktop. Sitting on a 3700x/2060 Super atm and ain't going nowhere till the GPU fiasco is over.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BassMan

@with_teeth26 said:

I'm due for a CPU upgrade, was thinking of going Ryzen but I might hold off a bit and see how these look, especially with the reports of Windows 11 and Ryzen not playing well together.

if these are a big jump i'll be happy to pony up for brand new tech that will last me an extra year or two

It looks like they are addressing AMD issues quickly...

https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-insider-patch-fixes-major-amd-ryzen-bug/

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

Eh, did a full upgrade over last fall/winter up to 10900k / 3070. Only things that carried over were ssds. I'll be good for a bit.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator

@with_teeth26 said:

I would suggest to wait on benchmarks/reviews before diving into Alder Lake. I did upgrade to W11 and didn't see any fallouts on my Ryzen 5600X but decided to revert back to W10 for now until MS makes it stable for me to switch back to W11.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@BassMan said:
@with_teeth26 said:

It looks like they are addressing AMD issues quickly...

https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-insider-patch-fixes-major-amd-ryzen-bug/

yup, seems promising but I want to see how this shakes out and also see some benchmarks for the new Intel chips as @davillain- suggested

my 6700k should be able to keep its head above water well enough until then

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

My build is pretty good for the time being, but I am interested in what Intel has to offer. I went AMD for the first time on this PC (for CPU) in a long time; my previous three or four builds have always been Intel + Nvidia.

Waiting to see how their GPU's are before I commit to a new build, because I am interested in what Intel will have to offer in that department; no doub they will find some way to make an Intel CPU and Intel GPU work together better with some proprietary tech.

Is Intel actually gonna release discrete GPU's? Cuz they've been announcing them for something like 15 years.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator

We got brand new info and the price reveal for Alder Lake: Intel 12th Gen Core “Alder Lake-S” final specifications and pricing

Performance is on average 13% ahead of Zen 3. Seems to be on par with the upcoming Zen 3 refresh with v-cache that AMD demonstrated a few months ago(15% faster than normal zen 3). The power draw on ADL is much higher than Zen 3, higher than Rocket Lake's was. New motherboards are required, and they're more expensive than AMD's X570 boards. New cooler mounts are required too.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@davillain- said:

I didn't read much about the new efficiency cores, but it's probably kinda like cellphone SoC's... And so this math doesn't make any sense. They offer i9's for 50% higher price than i7's, with the only difference being 2x efficiency cores. And 240W maximum power. Mind=blown

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

I would hold off on assuming that Alderlake will outright beat a Ryzen...... Remember folks that Ryzen performance on Windows 11 was gimped until a couple of days ago. And guaranteed that most of these tests/benchmarks were done well before the fixes. So that 12.5% average up tick vs 5950x from Intel's gaming charts will be most likely a wash for most of those titles.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BassMan

@Yams1980: I wouldn't worry about it. People smarter than you and I have figured out the E-core architecture and how to best use it. Intel prides itself on the gaming performance of their CPUs. So, they would not add the E-cores if it was going to make them look bad against AMD.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#19 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

always interested in something that brings better performance in multiple scenarios.

whether or not i will be using a 12th gen is doubtful though. my 11th gen on a Z590 is everything i need now and more than likely for the next 3-4 years. but we'll see if games improve their tech enough and need any more horsepower over that short period of time that an upgrade to later gen/series will be necessary.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 04dcarraher

@Yams1980: The E-cores are there for low priority and background tasks only. This is why Windows 11 is required with Alderlake to schedule the correct workloads on the correct cores. So basically Intel is trying to maximize the P-Cores(main cpu) from having to do anything else to boost performance on current running programs/games etc running in the foreground.

Intel is using this P/E core design because they do not have a straight answer to compete with AMD's chiplet design with ability to scale them. Because of this AMD does not have to directly answer intels new cpu because 5900x or mainly 5950x have more big cores and threads than the i9/i7 Alderlake. At most they will adjust their pricing across the Ryzen 5000 stack. Even still the Ryzen 3D memory stacked upgrade early next year will put AMD back in the lead.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

no not upgrading........ doing anything pc is absolutely horrendus waste of money right now. For the price of 1 gpu alone u can get 3 consoles. Prices are complete garbage.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 04dcarraher

@lunar1122 said:

no not upgrading........ doing anything pc is absolutely horrendus waste of money right now. For the price of 1 gpu alone u can get 3 consoles. Prices are complete garbage.

Consoles are not doing good nether when it comes to quantity and non retail pricing. PS5 and XSX are going for $1000-$1200 on the market. You can actually pick up fully built systems that are equal to or slightly faster for around the same amount of money atm.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BassMan

@Yams1980 said:
@BassMan said:

@Yams1980: I wouldn't worry about it. People smarter than you and I have figured out the E-core architecture and how to best use it. Intel prides itself on the gaming performance of their CPUs. So, they would not add the E-cores if it was going to make them look bad against AMD.

not sure why you had to insult me, I was just taking about my thoughts about the cpu.

Its no wonder this place is dead, you get attacked for just a simple post.

I was not attacking you. You are being too sensitive.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaVillain  Moderator

@Yams1980 said:
@BassMan said:

not sure why you had to insult me, I was just taking about my thoughts about the cpu.

But he wasn't though.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#26  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts
@Yams1980 said:
@BassMan said:

@Yams1980: I wouldn't worry about it. People smarter than you and I have figured out the E-core architecture and how to best use it...

not sure why you had to insult me...

"people smarter than you and I" is not an insult to you unless you are insinuating that Bassman was also insulting themself.

or are you insulted that this member was implying that the two of you may share similar intelligence? that would be more of an insult coming from your own end.

and this place is dead due to it's pointless articles, it's mainly favoring highly marketed games from only the top corporations and basically ignoring anything on the indie or lower budget side, and the lack of moderation and structure in their forums.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo: This place or rather GS is slowly dead and the only reason why I'm still around is due to bad habits cause I only come here for the forums alone.

But anyways, reviews go live this Thursday (11-4th-2021) so I'll post reviews and tech youtubers. This is gonna be good if intel can recapture the market share and remember, competition is always good for the gaming PC industry.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Nah. I only upgrade my cpu once in a blue moon when it is needed. It'll be many years, knock on wood

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 04dcarraher

On average only 5% faster than 5900x at 1080p.... Nothing amazing.....

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaVillain  Moderator

@04dcarraher: I update the OP if you are interest checking out the reviews. These new CPU's are only good if you have a very old CPU that's looking for a huge jump-gap, this is pretty much it for any old Intel users.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BassMan

Reviews are good. If I was to do a new build right now, I would go with the 12900K with DDR5 over the 5950X. The benefit of DDR5 in the Watch Dogs Legion benchmark is impressive.

It will be interesting to see how the Ryzen 6000 series performs after with the IPC gains and making use of DDR5 as well.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

15% performance boost due to new architecture, another 15% boost due to DDR5 higher clock speeds.

I think Ryzen 6000 series will match up against it pretty much the same so it'll be again the best deal wins, we'll have to see.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#33 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

Still happy with my biuld, still see no reason to upgrade, there is no game I can't run at 4k and 60fps.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

some games won't launch do to denuvo drm