DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8778 Posts

Also, which games have you modded most? What is on your wishlist for possible mods in the future?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58371 Posts

Hell yes, about 25% of the reason I'm on PC is because of modding.

As for games I modded the most, probably:

• Half-Life
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Satisfactory
  • The Elder Scrolls (series)

Games I'd like to see with mods:

• Strategy games in general. The ability to add customs appearances, units, rules, and more really makes the genre a great one to modify and make your own. I Had a lot of fun modifying XCOM2 for example, and the Command and Conquer community has made a lot of good mods as well including some need "total conversion" stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

GTA IV is my most modded game here's some old screenshots I took from a snow mod also using a trainer with some other graphic mods attached.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9406 Posts

Oh yeah, big time. Turns out when devs make games, they often don't make the best decisions for every single person in the world.

Recent game I have modded:

• Elden Ring - This combo of mods has been an absolute blast with a few other friends. It elevates the ER experience such that I have sunk 2X the amount of time in since my vanilla playthrough and we are about to hop into NG+
    • Reforged: Tons of great changes and additions including perfect-block parries, deeper character customization in the form of interchangeable classes (fortunes), and a bunch of other cool stuff.
    • Seamless Coop: QoL mod that lets a group of ppl coop interrupted and on a different server so you don't have to worry about getting banned for mods.
    • Randomizer: No metroidvania style game would be complete without one, and Elden Ring is a lot of fun; no surprise.
  • Vermintide 2 - Just a bunch of QoL mods that help you understand the mechanics and provide better hit indicators on screen. It's a MP game, so the devs have a system to approve certain mods for use on the official servers.
  • Factorio - This game has modding built right in, with dependency management! Obviously people want to add and change things, why not make it super easy and nice as a game dev? This game is the pinnacle of modding and mod management. I could never play it without Logistic Trains (LTS) or without replacing the artillery sound with that of the Total Annihilation artillery unit.

Classic game that I have enjoyed modding in the past:

• Fallout 4 - Without getting into a whole rant, I'll just say mods allowed me to remove some of the poor design decisions BGS made so I can actually enjoy the parts of this game that aren't awful. Oh, and War on The Commonwealth is a fantastic mod.
  • Morrowind - You can basically modernize the experience. OpenMW is a reimplementation of the Morrowind game engine that is much more stable when using a ton of mods.
  • Skyrim/Oblivion - Just like any BGS game, the experience can be infinitely extended and customized. I would never play *just vanilla* ever again when I can make the game so much better.
  • Fallout3/NV - You can literally pull the entirety of FO3 into the NV engine and play them both with the same character (Tale of Two Wastelands). Fan-fucking-tastic!
  • Half-Life - HL and TFC mods were some of my first experiences on PC with mods. It basically opened up a whole other world for me. It opened my eyes. Wow I can just dig through game files and try to change things I don't like, or add things I want that the devs didn't think of or didn't have time to implement.

Other ways to mod games you may have not thought of:

• Fan translations of Japan-only RPGs - How else were we supposed to play FFV, Live-A-Live or Mother 3 back then? Weird racing RPG from Square, Racing Lagoon on PS1? Yeah, fam, there's an English patch for it. The fact that there are people who put in the effort to translate these games even without getting paid for it makes me want to cry. I'm thankful for y'all.

So yeah, game modding is just some of the best humanity has to offer. I could just go on and on.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38682 Posts

Not sure if you consider it modding but I like to play with old NES games in an emulator and mess around with the memory contents and play with the assembly code a bit. More from a reverse engineering standpoint and seeing how the game works vs. modifying the play. I'll set/freeze memory locations to change things, try to tweak assembly to change behaviors, etc...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127512 Posts

Mostly modded Skyrim and Fall Out 4. Oh and tried using a time modifier in GTA V.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

I like using Reshade alot it's awesome especially on games with dull colors and make it vibrant looking.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46441 Posts

I mod about 95% of my games.

From simple fixes and quality of life mods, down to overhauls, new weapons, removing certain effects I don't like (extreme shaking, speed lines, blurring).

Nexus is pretty much baked into my web browser and if I plan on playing a game, I peek a look over there and see what mods could improve the experience.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k
@warmblur said:

I like using Reshade alot it's awesome especially on games with dull colors and make it vibrant looking.

What are some practical examples of games you've used it on? I've never used reshade.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@R4gn4r0k said:
@warmblur said:

What are some practical examples of games you've used it on? I've never used reshade.

Dead Rising 4, Batman Arkham Origins, Quantum Break,Bioshock and more that I'm sure that I'm forgetting.

I've been playing Dead Rising 4 here is a couple of screenshot comparisons

Original

Reshade

Original

Reshade

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k

@warmblur: Wow that looks incredible. I didn't know such a technology existed.

Dead Rising 4 always looked so bland and dull in my eyes; I even checked it out on Xbox where it had HDR, but nah, still no good.

Do you get these off the nexus? I would for sure be interested in trying these for Batman, DR4 and Bioshock.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@R4gn4r0k said:

@warmblur: Wow that looks incredible. I didn't know such a technology existed.

Dead Rising 4 always looked so bland and dull in my eyes; I even checked it out on Xbox where it had HDR, but nah, still no good.

Do you get these off the nexus? I would for sure be interested in trying these for Batman, DR4 and Bioshock.

Yeah Reshade is great it really makes colors pop.

As for Dead Rising 4 new versions of Reshade don't work for it for whatever reason you have to use this version for it 42.1 also put it in DX10/DX11 for it to work DX9 doesn't do anything.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8ar1jhh1809cl/ReShade_Repository#7lxhmiy4o4r3a

If you want to use new versions for other games here is the official site.

https://reshade.me/

And here is a reshade video from Digital Foundry if you are interested in learning more.

Loading Video...
BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#14  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17821 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Reshade/SweetFX was great in BF3 and BF4 to counter the brutal filters that they used. You can get the games looking a lot more natural. I am pretty sure that you can integrate Reshade into Special K as well.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k

@warmblur: thanks! I'll look into it.

@BassMan said:

@R4gn4r0k: Reshade/SweetFX was great in BF3 and BF4 to counter the brutal filters that they used. You can get the games looking a lot more natural. I am pretty sure that you can integrate Reshade into Special K as well.

I guess the reason why I love the OLED tv so much is because the colors just pop. Colors are super important: use the color space that is available to you.

Games that have a bland/dull art style are the worst.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23940 Posts

I have written my own mods.

Currently making a large mod for XCOM2, mostly as practice.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4236 Posts

I’m into modding, I just haven’t had the time…or interest to mod anymore. Used to mod Half-Life 1.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

I usually use mods or source ports to play older PC games on my modern computer. Playing older titles in HD is great.