Before PC went digital where did you buy your physical copies from?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Just curious where did you guys go back in the day for PC games? did you have a certain local store or did you go to different ones? for me I mostly got mine at Best Buy when they had full shelves of them.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

Mostly at Staples and Futureshop (now Best Buy), a few from EB Games.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2144 Posts

Used to get pirated copies in a local market, and for a long time did not even know that the games are not legit (I remember returning the copies, because they did not work for some reason - turns out I just did not know that I had to crack the exe). Legal copies just did not exist in my country back then, no one could afford them anyway.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

EB Games.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58378 Posts

CompUSA

Best Buy

Staples (very rarely....but they had surprsingly good bargain-bin games).

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

There used to be small independent games shops when i was a kid but they got overrun by gamestop. Gamestop now basically dominates the street retail part of selling games. so mostly there.

Those small shops were cool though. They would have PCs setup with the latest games for people to play on and try. PC demo stations basically.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@rmpumper said:

Used to get pirated copies in a local market, and for a long time did not even know that the games are not legit (I remember returning the copies, because they did not work for some reason - turns out I just did not know that I had to crack the exe). Legal copies just did not exist in my country back then, no one could afford them anyway.

Same here, only it wasn't the market but a sidewalk, that red-eyed skinny guy with a cardboard box full of CD's LOL. For us it was the only way to buy games back then (late 90's/early 2000's).

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Wow that's going back a while, probably wow

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

Mainly, I used to buy them at Toys "R" Us or at EB Games before they became Gamestop but mostly, my purchase came from Toys "R" Us. Also, you can find PC physical games at Office Depot but most of the times, they carried very old games you couldn't find anywhere else.

Edit: My final physical purchase was at Gamestop and that game was Diablo 3.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

The local Fred Meyer in my town used to have an entire PC gaming section in their electronics department. That was the shit. Whole wall of shelves with basically every PC game on the market, and even a hardware area with a very solid selection of CPUs and video cards. I bought all my old Blizzard battle chests there, Age of Empires and Flight Simulator, Duke Nukem 3D (ATOMIC EDITION. FUNK YEAH), and most of the parts for my first custom build rig. Got Crysis and Prey (2006) there. I even bought Half Life 2, and later the Orange Box, there. Which, obviously, led to the creation of Steam accounts. And the rest is history.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7313 Posts

Mostly Fry's Electronics. They used to have a lot of shelf space dedicated cheap older games. I think there were a few times I got something at EB/Gamestop or Bestbuy, but the vast majority of my physical PC game collection came from Fry's.

I got genuinely sad the last time I went to Fry's. Half their shelves were empty hardly anyone was in the store. Writing is on the wall for that place. They already shut down one location near where I grew up :(

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Comp USA FOREVER!!! :D

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrbojangles25
@judaspete said:

Mostly Fry's Electronics. They used to have a lot of shelf space dedicated cheap older games. I think there were a few times I got something at EB/Gamestop or Bestbuy, but the vast majority of my physical PC game collection came from Fry's.

I got genuinely sad the last time I went to Fry's. Half their shelves were empty hardly anyone was in the store. Writing is on the wall for that place. They already shut down one location near where I grew up :(

Ya they opened up one of those stores near me maybe 15 years ago. It was pretty impressive; COSTCO-sized building filled with electronics. And competitive prices, too. It was fun to just go there and look at all the hardware and stuff.

There is something to be said about being able to go to a store and still test out products on display. See the differences and such.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Game, Gamestation or HMV. Usually had a pretty decent selection of PC games, old and new.

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

Mostly at Walmart, though sometimes I'd find some at the Dollar General or Fred's. Nowadays I occasionally order some for older games and on more rare occasions, I find them at yard-sales.

The last physical games I bought new was Civilization 5 at Wal-mart, Sim city 2000 at a yard-sale, and Moon Tycoon from Amazon.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Egghead Software, EB Games, some Best Buy. I'm not sure why this one is so vivid, but I remember being so excited to walk into Egghead to buy my copy of Myst.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

Best Buy and EB Games, probably

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

CompUSA and Electronics Boutique.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

CEX, GameStation, PC World and Argos... It would depend on who had the best price for that game.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#22  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

my first set of computer games was a LARGE stack of 5.25" floppy disks that a relative copied for me to run on my Apple IIe back in the 80s. cost me a couple Transformer action figures.

when I got back into PC gaming under Windows in the 90s I got all of my games at our old Wal-Mart, Electronics Boutique, Radio Shack & Babbage's. over the next decade or so Best Buy & GameStop kind of took over the game scene.

I rallied against all of the online digital distributors for quite a few years and was very disappointed when people everywhere were giving up on the glory of having physical copies. but as games got much larger and endless game updates(VS just finishing a game before releasing) became the norm, I also gave in and turned to strictly digital.

I think the last physical copies of a game I purchased was Fallout 3 from GameStop ~2008 & Rocksmith Remastered from Amazon ~2018. now I mostly wait until a Digital Deluxe\Ultimate Edition type bundle is released for a cheaper price through one of the digital distributors before purchasing anything.

HankMulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HankMulder
Member since 2020 • 203 Posts

There was a store back in the day that sold physical copies for PC and console games.
They closed in the meanwhile.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2466 Posts

I went to the game store.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#25 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I haven't set foot in a game store for over 20 years.

Prior to that, I guess Virgin Megastore was the main place, but there was another high street store that I can't remember the name of now which had some good deals. Most of my disc game purchases from the early 2000s onwards were from online retailers like Amazon, Play.com (before it sucked), occasionally GAME and PC World, and a few others that have since gone out of business.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

for computer games mostly walmart.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mrbojangles25

Best Buy, Gamestop, Staples.

CompUSA when I was a kid and they were still around.

I do miss that new-game smell, but that's about all I miss.

snowamazonka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 snowamazonka
Member since 2020 • 3 Posts

EB игры)

Avatar image for heavymetalman77
heavymetalman77

Forum Posts