Gaming - For Stupid Nonintellectuals Who Can't Appreciate Thinking?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Myeyesquinty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Myeyesquinty
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
*****Gaming is for stupid idiots who don't appreciate fine arts and other things?*****
DEFINITELY Not in my opinion.
Unfortunately for me, my parents and other "guardians" and "school figures" dont' think so.

Well, currently at my school, I stand a great chance of becoming Valedictorian. I'm smart, I do my work, I learn music and can play multiple instruments, etc. I also work out and am overall rather well. However, because of my skills in school, my parents have began working with my school counselors on how to make it easier for me to enroll into MIT, CalTech, Johns Hopkins University, Stanford, etc. The main thing they complain about? My enjoyment of video games.

They claim that video games are a waste of time. I *should* be practicing music, composing, learning more about music theory. They claim I should be writing books, improving my vocabulary and preparing for a 2400 for my upcoming SAT, establishing a reputation in my field of choice (military weapons creation - similar to Futureweapons but far advanced superior weapons compared to those children toys - and nano technology.) They constantly bombard me with arguments about how I'll become stupid, violent, have no life, etc.
I argue that video games are the next form of entertainment. First there was music that involved hearing. Then reading which involved imagination and sight. Then there were plays that had limited acting for entertainment. Then there were even attempts at smellable movies. Then there's also T.V. My point? All these things involve minimal interaction. Video games have interaction, which prove why they don't hurt me. My parents don't complain when I watch T.V. They don't mind me watching movies. However, video games seem stupid to them.
-First, video games have interaction and the usage of the mouse. From first person shooters, mouse coordination greatly increases. My parents always complain when I read from the computer five times as fast and scan through things quickly, clicking here and there before they can finish a sentence. I can do it without any problems. Why? Video games greatly shorten my reaction time.
-Second, due to macromanagement from RTS's such as Starcraft (an old-school favorite), I'm far superior to all my other competitors for Valedictorian because they can't handle things as well because their parents force them to study, read, and allow them to at most watch T.V. I can balance my social life, school life, and family life to the point where everything ends up satisfactory for me.
-Third, if I'm 90% sure I'll become Valedictorian with far over 4.7 gpa, I can play whatever video games I want. People can't claim video games detract from my study if I finish my final, perfect score essay in 40 minutes, study for every essential class, and have hours left over.
-Fourth, I find this point very laughable. My father complains to me the most about how video games just waste my mind and that I should be participating in activities that are intellectually stimulating. Then, I laugh when he has trouble attempting to learn an instrument. Video games not only improve my typing so I can finish my work quickly, but it vastly improves my sight reading abililty for music and my ability to learn instruments quickly.
-Fifth, any "gamer" stereotypes don't apply to me. I have numerous friends, I'm smart, logical, athletic, etc.

Well, my final point is video games are actually beneficial to people, as long as reasonable time is spent on it. Do any of you have parental issues that are similar to mine? I still don't understand why the simple concept of video games being the next form of entertainment can't be grasped by adults. Thank you all.

Well. I argue that I really am not suffering from video games, but that they're beneficial to intelligent people. My experience shows it while the people who look down upon video games have no proof whatsoever.
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 frost_mourne13
Member since 2006 • 1615 Posts
yeah, totally dude, just like how my english teacher says gamers are ******* lol, read the topic. i agree, video games are beneficial, and as for negative influences, it isnt any worse than what people see on tv. Guns dont kill, People do. although i would recommend dropping the word pitiful....o_O

btw futureweapons was a gay show..
BubbaCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 BubbaCheese
Member since 2004 • 30 Posts
Who gives a flying **** what you teachers say! You can do what you wanna do! they're juss jealous...
Myeyesquinty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Myeyesquinty
Yes, I'm sorry about the word "pitiful." I wouldn't want such diction to ruin my credibility. I'm just frustrated by the arguments my parents and guardians put up without any evidence.
And I agree, Futureweapons is a show that demonstrates basic concept weapons that have no innovation and have minimal improvement on previous concepts.
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 frost_mourne13
yay for the m82 .50 its only been around since the 80's.
Myeyesquinty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Myeyesquinty
Who gives a flying **** what you teachers say! You can do what you wanna do! they're juss jealous... BubbaCheese
If only they understood it our way xD I hope to get into a great university and come out with my ideal job and plenty of money. The first thing I'll do is buy is all the newest parts and make a great computer. Gamer for life :D I'll be making my custom computers and playing the best games even when I'm 80 (I hope.)
skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#8 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
gamers on average are smarter than non-gamers.  that is what i have experienced.
linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
gamers on average are smarter than non-gamers.  that is what i have experienced.skyyfox1
So have I...
Avatar image for horadriclucifer
horadriclucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horadriclucifer
Member since 2005 • 40 Posts
wow man, you must be gifted to be able to do all that as you said up there.
I play single instrument (cello) have 4.0 GPA, and play no sports :D
I dont plan to go to colleges like HARVARD or STANFORD like you might, but education still is important to me.
regardless, I play. and face consequences for that afterwards...
haha, thats some life you have there though
have fun leading it... to a right path.
armenti8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 armenti8
Member since 2003 • 306 Posts

Discover magazine had an interesting article I read a couple years ago. The article basically was an in-depth analysis of how video games affected a random sample of people. The end results were basically this: the games made these people overall smarter. I can't remember everything about the article but they tested things like problem solving, critical analysis, reaction time, hand-eye coordination and much more. Not to mention it kept a few "bad kids" off the streets, and kept them away from bad influences. It also debunked the rumour of video games causing violence.

If you are having a hard time with your parents and school figures over video games, I suggest you try and find this article to "educate" your parents and these so-called teachers.

PM me if you really want help in finding this article.

wurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 wurn
Member since 2004 • 2258 Posts

Sorry after this bragging paragraph i lost interest in your topic

Well, currently at my school, I stand a great chance of becoming Valedictorian. I'm smart, I do my work, I learn music and can play multiple instruments, etc. I also work out and am overall rather well. However, because of my skills in school, my parents have began working with my school counselors on how to make it easier for me to enroll into MIT, CalTech, Johns Hopkins University, Stanford, etc. The main thing they complain about? My enjoyment of video games.

wurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 wurn
Member since 2004 • 2258 Posts
agree
I'd bet my car that these drones sit and zone out in front of the TV almost if not every night. Being a snob, is a stupid nonintellectual who must denigrate others in order to cover-up their own self doubts.roulettethedog
Erandel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Erandel
Member since 2004 • 1164 Posts

The simpliest form way of looking at this is that its a form of entertainment, which has advantages and and disadvantages like everything else. And if you put it crudely at least its non-violent effect on the real world (roughly) if you compared it to a sport like hunting. Also, if you look at some games, they aren't all non intellectual. Look at the myst games for example, which are all puzzle based, and good for stretching the brain. And if you look at something like Bioshock, that has some moral issues in it that the player has to face. Also, if you look at Psychonauts, then that has some pretty interesting concepts about how the brain works even if it is in a cartoon game like format (for example having a dual personality and having one personality over-ride the other). As long as its kept in balance, I don't see why anyone shouldn't be able to play computer games.

Edit: I forgot to mention Planescape Torment as well, which is where my Avatar is from, which has some pretty deep questions about life and death in it.

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts
Rpgs taught me how to read...
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
So you have been playing video games alot in high school. DId you experience any problems? WEre you violent/crazy/dumb at times? If no, then tell that to your parents. If you are playing now and your grades are still in tip top shape, there should be no reason for you to stop gaming :) My grades are nothing spectacular (3.5 GPA) but I try and if everything is going smooth, I play pc games after homework and such.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
Dunno how old you are, but if you are as smart as you say, you should definately be able to make your own choises especially about something as trivial as playing games. You don't need to convince us about those points you argued, it's your parents and teachers who need some "educating" about games ..good luck with that.
Narcadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Narcadox
Member since 2006 • 864 Posts
Just say leave me alone and let me do what i want or im going to become a shelf stacker lol:D
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
Games are entertainment in a same way the Romans liked to watch their plays. In modern times you can think of soccer, baseball etc. etc. Computer gaming is merely an addition to that list. Some agree, some won't but hey... How is watching sport while drinking beer on a couch gonna help you!? Not...I guess. People just gotta relax once in a while. As long as you do that in a way you don't offend (or harm) anyone, you're pretty free to do whatever you like. I have seen people practising the weirdest hobbies: Tossing cars with a giant slingshot, spot planes, jump from a bridge attached to a giant rubber band etc. etc. It is all completely different, but has the same effect: give people a thrill as the relax at the same time.
I'm sure with you being that intelligent and all, you will (had) come up with the same logical reasoning...:idea:
1Lonehawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 1Lonehawk
Member since 2005 • 873 Posts
Here's an experiment for ya. Ask your parents to actually "try" to play one of the games you play. Not to get them to "understand" gaming or anything, just to see if they can actually "do" it. This might help them understand what kind of knowledge, understanding, reflexes and thinking capacity it takes to actually play a PC game. Then, they might understand that a PC game is not about sitting in front of a boob toob "saoking in the violence;" rather that it IS an interactive experience that's all about the challenges (which provide the entertainment) and not so much, if at all, about the subject of the game itself. I mean, take any old RTS, it could be about medieval warfare or WWII. It doesn't really matter. It's the challenge of micromanagement and strategy that draws people to the game, not the fact that tanks are rolling over "pixel people" or anything. Just a thought.
Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Taijiquan
Member since 2002 • 7431 Posts
Your doing all these things or have done all these things yet you can't convince your parents to relax?  Sounds like that GPA isn't worth the text.  Man up, grab your junk, play your cards.  Good luck!
zsc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 zsc4
Member since 2005 • 5233 Posts
gamers on average are smarter than non-gamers. that is what i have experienced.skyyfox1
Me too.
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 frost_mourne13
really, if your ambitions are that great, and your that smart, upcoming #1 in ur class, and all i dont think your parents should worry, even if gaming will "hurt" your studies, if youve been gaming in high school and your still getting good grades, thats no cause for concern. i just think some parents care too much..and besides, how many class valectictorians have ended up dropping university, or living with their parents because they cant find a job...
-Trigga-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 -Trigga-
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts
Video games are for FUN. They are for your enjoyment. Christ, everybody has to do something for fun in their spare time. Otherwise you'll become just another stressed out caffeine freak workhorse.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58478 Posts

Well, currently at my school, I stand a great chance of becoming Valedictorian. I'm smart, I do my work, I learn music and can play multiple instruments, etc. I also work out and am overall rather well. However, because of my skills in school, my parents have began working with my school counselors on how to make it easier for me to enroll into MIT, CalTech, Johns Hopkins University, Stanford, etc. The main thing they complain about? My enjoyment of video games.wurn

Wow, I cant believe theyre targeting your hobby.  I mean, all work and no play, you know?  You gotta have some form of an outlet.  I mean, if you give up games and you go to one of those schools, all youre gonna be doing is studying studying working working for the next 4+ years.  And after that, guess what!??! YOU GET  A JOB AND HAVE TO WORK MORE!

People need an outlet, especially people with lots of pressure on them (i.e. prospective and current college students), and video games and sports are an ideal place to channel your frustration, anger, happiness, and creativity.

kpsting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kpsting
Member since 2005 • 2452 Posts
successful people usually don't play games. they work their asses off 24/7
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrbojangles25

successful people usually don't play games. they work their asses off 24/7kpsting

oh boy, I am feeling a sense of philosophical wonder coming over me.....

ahhh, my child.  What is success?  Is it monetary, or is it how much you have accomplished, how many people know your name, or is it sheer happiness?

What makes a doctor, you is alone and depresses, more successful than a cook, who works 10 hours a day but at the end of the shift comes home to a family?  Is it bringing culinary joy to thousands of people, or saving that little boy's kidneys?

frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 frost_mourne13
man, that made me think...o_O
kpsting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kpsting
Member since 2005 • 2452 Posts
Happyness is a success, absolutely. but there are no happy bums

and i don't care for cooking at all :D
johnny977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 johnny977
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
To the original poster:
Play this song on your favourite instrument to your parents, maybe they will get it then.
Odin945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Odin945
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts
My Psychology proffessor  actually says computer games are good for you, they improve your cognitive thinking... think of a game of chess, you know all the rules so you find ways to strategize with them to defeat your opponent, but with video games, the rules frequently change and there will always be some kind of new element incorporated into it as you play along, so your mind is always changing with it.
myrtlebeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 myrtlebeach
Member since 2005 • 590 Posts

my parents dont really care, so long as it doesnt totally affect our 'family life'

yeah, they're kinda weird ya know?

but i am not allowed to play the GTA series, but i do because i am alone by myself a lot. but i dunno

sure it kinda sucks to be in that situation

Avatar image for starwarsgeek112
starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 starwarsgeek112
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts
I hate when my parents complain about me playing video games all the time, but then if I watch T.V. all the time, they don't care at all.
vorlon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 vorlon92
Member since 2006 • 378 Posts

Well, currently at my school, I stand a great chance of becoming Valedictorian. I'm smart, I do my work, I learn music and can play multiple instruments, etc. I also work out and am overall rather well. However, because of my skills in school, my parents have began working with my school counselors on how to make it easier for me to enroll into MIT, CalTech, Johns Hopkins University, Stanford, etc. The main thing they complain about? My enjoyment of video games.wurn

lol same for me, painful.  There is another thread concerning this very topic which does not kick off with the bragging.  You should be able to find it on page 1 as it is getting a lot of hits.  Some interesting discussion there, check it out.

DrFuzzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DrFuzzy
Member since 2004 • 80 Posts
I say, if your parents think that video games are "for stupid nonintellectuals", that you should ask them to sit down and try one out.  See if they can even figure out how to get into the game.  They should try before they knock it.
Bibone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bibone
Member since 2006 • 132 Posts
ya dude i totally agree with you.  i think its because most parents grew up in a world without video games that we have, and i think its because they don't want to take the time to understand video games.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mrbojangles25

To the original poster:
Play this song on your favourite instrument to your parents, maybe they will get it then.johnny977

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'

Cool song, I think that part has my favorite lyrics.

frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 frost_mourne13
haha i should play this in the background 4 my speech lol, cant wait to see how my teacher reacts
broqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 broqz
Member since 2003 • 773 Posts

i only read about 1/3 of the TC post and all i can say is this.

if you want to use your supposed talent to make military weapons then yes, you are stupid, nonintellegent, and apparently have skewed morals. (by my moral compass atleast)

the military has ALL diffrent kinds of ways to kill another human.  porably lotsa ways we don't/can't even imagine.  if your as gifted as you say you are why not put your efforts into the betterment off mankind?  not its subversion?  and no, the military of the past 100 years has in no way, shape, or form helped to better mankind.

to paraphrase another..."If the military can shoot a missle 1,000 miles and hit a mailbox can't is use that same tech to launch food to starving people?"

lol_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lol_waffles
Member since 2006 • 1826 Posts
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. " - John Lennon
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
So why don't you print off what you just typed out and give it to your parents then?
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 frost_mourne13
i dont think his parents would like being called pitiful, dont you think?
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Well video games made me do bad in school :lol: But tell them to appreciate the art of video games and if they don't then tell them to shove it :D If you like to play games to have fun then who cares what people say, my parents said bad things too, but now they accept it and take me to gamestop. What if you died tomorrow and you didn't get to play starcraft because you had to study for the freakin SAT pffffffttt.........
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 frost_mourne13
lol, i never got to think about it that way..."the day Myeyesquinty studied too much and died"....its gonna be a movie
Avatar image for platinumxofhell
platinumxofhell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 platinumxofhell
Member since 2004 • 252 Posts
First-Don't post your daily blog on a forum because 99 % of the people reading it don't really care.
Second-A social life has nothing to do with intellectual thinking.
Third- Valedictorian or not your ideology is flawed.
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Colonel_Cool
Member since 2006 • 1335 Posts
wow man, you must be gifted to be able to do all that as you said up there.
I play single instrument (cello) have 4.0 GPA, and play no sports :D
I dont plan to go to colleges like HARVARD or STANFORD like you might, but education still is important to me.
regardless, I play. and face consequences for that afterwards...
haha, thats some life you have there though
have fun leading it... to a right path.
horadriclucifer
I play cello too
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 frost_mourne13
off topic, but hey thats cool, is it like a upright bass?
Wolfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Wolfitz
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts
 Ultimately the most important thing in life is to be content, and if one gains happiness through gaming, then its no more different then gaining happiness through some other activity.  One is more efficient, and intuitive while happy, not when miserable and frusterated. The point is do what makes you happy, and surely everything will fall into place.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mrbojangles25

i only read about 1/3 of the TC post and all i can say is this.

if you want to use your supposed talent to make military weapons then yes, you are stupid, nonintellegent, and apparently have skewed morals. (by my moral compass atleast)

the military has ALL diffrent kinds of ways to kill another human.  porably lotsa ways we don't/can't even imagine.  if your as gifted as you say you are why not put your efforts into the betterment off mankind?  not its subversion?  and no, the military of the past 100 years has in no way, shape, or form helped to better mankind.

to paraphrase another..."If the military can shoot a missle 1,000 miles and hit a mailbox can't is use that same tech to launch food to starving people?"

broqz

*sniff sniff* I smell hippy.

Some of the smartest men have had their greatest acheivements associated with the military.  Flight, jet propulsion, chemistry (gunpowder, for example), plastics, nuclear science (atomic bomb, for example).

So saying that using your talent to develop weapons is stupid, well, is stupid.  If anything, the military is the one area of our government that deserves our unconditional respect.  Theyre out there, killing and dying for us.  And if someone can develop a better bullet, a better bomb, a better something, that will help my friends in Iraq kill their enemies faster and more safely, then that is fine with me, and that is morally right.

In short, stop being an idealist.  Wars are a necessary evil, and geniuses often contribute the most acheivements to the military...not idiots.  We tried to stop Hitler by non-military means...it was called appeasement.  Did it accomplish anything?  Nope, he kept taking country after country, and killing Jew after Jew.  But what did accomplish something?  War.  And mankind is definately better off without Hitler so I think thats one such justification of war.

As for the food being launched or whatever...that just doesnt work.  I worked at soup kitchens throughout high school, and I always saw the same people in there.  Nobody ever bettered themselves.  So, my question is this: are we supposed to just give out stuff for all eternity, just because someone needs it?  How are we helping people by actively encouraging them to not better themselves?  I would sooner kick a bum in the ass and tell him to get a job than give him a handout.  That may sound cruel, but someday he is gonna get that one kick in the ass that makes him question his current predicament.

Sorry for the tangent, but what you said was extremely insulting both to the military and anyone who has contributed to the military.