Gaming Laptop vs Desktop

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

User Lists: 0

Poll Gaming Laptop vs Desktop (11 votes)

Gaming Laptop? 18%
Gaming Desktop? 82%

Getting my tax return. Gonna buy me a new computer. Had it for 3 years since the corona outbreak. I'm ok with the one I currently have. It's a Ideacentre with a GTX 1050ti and 400w PSU. It can't really handle new games in a consistent manner but it does it's job.

However my life is getting hectic and busy. Maybe I should get a powerful laptop so I can go anywhere with it?

Or should I have a stationary desktop?

What do you think I should get?

• 
locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

@Alexander2cents:

Can upgrade Graphics Card on desktop.

Desktop gpu specs are better than laptop gpu specs. Laptop 4090 uses a desktop 4080 silicon and has a power limit of 200 watts. This means a Desktop 4080 will out perform a Laptop 4090.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17833 Posts

Basically the only reason to get a laptop is if you need the portability.

Is your life such that you wouldn't be able to access a desktop very often? Do you move around a lot? Is space very limited?

You can get a lot more horsepower for the same money in a desktop. The only downside of a desktop is it's size really.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7307 Posts

As others already said, the only reason to get a laptop is if you will take it places. Desktop will yield more power for your money, and will keep up with modern games for years with a few upgrades. Put more ram and a new gpu in your Ideacentre, it will feel like a new computer. Your 400w PSU could easily handle a base RX 6600, or you could even get away with a RTX 3060.

Might even want to wait a few months. Rumor is the 4060 will be back down to a 110w power draw.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 692 Posts

The desktop is better for the money, but as a person that moves a lot for my job having desktop is pointless, so i always go for the gaming laptop.

Xtraflo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Xtraflo
Member since 2007 • 700 Posts

A few years ago I decided instead of upgrading my Gaming Desktop to buy an Alienware R3 Laptop. My reasoning was that it was plenty powerful enough for the games I play, has an option for an external GPU, I could Video Out to a Larger Screen, separate KB&M and would have the option to be completely mobile.
However, 2 years later, the CPU overheated and fried - leaving my only option to replace the entire Mobo that costs at least $400-500, which is also a lot of work and hope it doesn't happen again.

For that Price, I was able to just buy a new GPU for my Desktop and lived with my i5 2500k until I could afford an upgrade.

Point is, I'll never go that route again unless I have money fall out of my Asshole...