Omnishambles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Omnishambles
Member since 2020 • 8 Posts

I have a friend that wants a new gaming laptop, one that can handle ultra-ish graphics at 1080p, at a budget of around £1200. I'm a desktop PC user only, but have been looking around and it seems an RTX 2060/i7 setup is about the best in that price range. They wanted something a bit future-proofed too though, so that gpu is not ideal.

However, I noticed there are no RTX 30 series laptops on the market yet, and they're surely going to influence previous gen prices, right? So, do you think it would be better to hold off buying for now or snap up a current deal?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

He can get a Acer Predator Triton 300 with a i7 10750H and a RTX 2070 Max Q for £1299 at Curry's. LINK!

If he can cough up a extra £99 its worth it.

Or he can go with a similar specification Asus ROG Strix G15 which has a slightly better battery and cooling... For £1349. LINK!

Both have a 1TB SSD and IPS 144Hz panel and 16GB RAM.

While I would say wait for Ryzen 4000 series gaming laptops to come around with RTX 3060's in them... Who knows when that will be, they probably won't be here till 2021 Q2-Q3 and who knows what prices they will be.

Its up to him. With PC's you can technically always wait as we get new CPUs and GPU's almost every other year.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I don't remember where I glanced through an article recently about the RTX 3000 series coming to laptops...I want to say that I recall mention of top end bringing near 2080Ti performance on a laptop. However, I don't think any laptops with a RTX 3000 card will be available until end of Q1 2021.

So, you either find the absolute best gaming laptop you can afford now, or you wait a solid 3-6 months (depending on releases and availability) before something new comes along with the 3000 series in it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58378 Posts

I know you said laptop, but can they be convinced to get a desktop? Much much much more bang for your buck.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1644 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I know you said laptop, but can they be convinced to get a desktop? Much much much more bang for your buck.

I agree. I think gaming laptops are cool in concept, but if you're not going to be taking it anywhere and you've got plenty of Room (not like a PC is big anyway), why go for a gaming laptop?

At least with a PC tower you can upgrade it later too.