Major internet problems with one computer - affects all others

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 ulillillia
Member since 2006 • 685 Posts
My dad's computer is having a serious problem connecting to the internet and as long as his computer is running in Windows, my internet is messed up as well causing Gamespot and all other websites to load and look very awkward.  Once my dad's computer is off, internet works normally without problems.  The two other computers running can all be connected to the internet and none of them run into any problems, but as soon as my dad's computer is turned on, the internet acts up.  My 4 Mbps DSL internet runs through a router which could help explain the issues the other computers have when my dad's computer is on.

We've tried replacing the DSL modem, the router, disabling all firewalls, replacing the NIC card, pretty much everything and the scenario is the same in each case.  Any time my dad's computer is running with Windows loaded, the internet on all computers gets messed up.  Normally, you rarely see "cannot find server" and other such messages, but any time my dad's computer is on, they occur with an astonishingly high 80% rate (likely even higher) and it makes using the internet a pain for everyone, but once that computer is turned off, it works fine for everyone.

This has been going on for 3 weeks now.  It first started when a program called "Starware" was installed, which is known spyware.  Using Spybot got rid of it.  Norton Internet Security 2007 on my dad's computer doesn't report anything and it didn't even detect the "starware" spyware either.

What could explain all this?  I know with good certainty that it's something on my dad's computer, but running Spybot and NIS turn up nothing.

I, for some odd reason, got logged out while typing my message so I don't know if my other one sent or not.
TheLiberal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheLiberal
Member since 2007 • 294 Posts
I would suggest, since your dad's computer, I'm assuming, has a CD burner or you have some other way of backing up stuff on his PC... Back up all the stuff you want from it Reformat Install antivirus & firewall and update both Scan everything you backed up and then put it back on the PC if it's clean.
FlameMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 FlameMe
Member since 2006 • 1165 Posts
sounds to me like there is some very tricky malicious software on your dads PC playing hell with your router and bandwidth. Honestly for all the time and money you have already put into the issue it would be quickiest and easiest to do what the above poster says. Reformat his HDD and reinstall windows, thats the best way to make sue NOTHING is bad on his PC. then is the problem continues I would reset your router and then reprogram it. good luck
ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ulillillia
I just ran a "HiJackThis" scan, but I can't post it here because of Gamespot's poor design - it says that my message contains a single word over 80 characters in length.  Not only that but the harmless word "class" is replaced by "forbidden" for some unknown reason.  As an alternative, you can see the log on The other forum I posted this in since there are no problems with posting it there.
TheLiberal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheLiberal
Member since 2007 • 294 Posts
I just ran a "HiJackThis" scan, but I can't post it here because of Gamespot's poor design - it says that my message contains a single word over 80 characters in length. Not only that but the harmless word "class" is replaced by "forbidden" for some unknown reason. As an alternative, you can see the log on I posted this in since there are no problems with posting it there.
ulillillia

For those processes, you can type them in to google and there will be plenty of entries on what it is and what it does and whether or not it's a threat.  But as for the other stuff ya got there, I don't mess with registry stuff.

I still suggest a reformat.
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
Those running processes look fine but as you say, the StarWare entries still exist. Try Ad-Aware Personal Edition and see what that comes up with. I've known it detect better than Spybot quite a few times. You could also try a registry cleaner tool which may get rid of the entries. I don't know if that's what's causing the problem though. I'm more inclined to think that it's some sort of router or pc setting that has been changed as a result of the infection, especially as it was your Dad's system that got infected. Are all your computer's connected to your Dad's system, THEN -> internet?
ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ulillillia
[QUOTE="Gregoroth"]Those running processes look fine but as you say, the StarWare entries still exist. Try Ad-Aware Personal Edition and see what that comes up with. I've known it detect better than Spybot quite a few times. You could also try a registry cleaner tool which may get rid of the entries. I don't know if that's what's causing the problem though. I'm more inclined to think that it's some sort of router or pc setting that has been changed as a result of the infection, especially as it was your Dad's system that got infected. Are all your computer's connected to your Dad's system, THEN -> internet?

No, all computers are separated from each other.  How the system is set up is as follows:

1.  The request to download a webpage is sent to the ISP and is processed by the server.  The ISP receives the data from the server and sends it to me.  This part is nothing new.
2.  From the ISP, I receive the webpage through the DSL modem.
3.  The modem is fed into the router which has 4 slots, one for each computer.  Each slot connects to one particular computer.
4.  The computer that requested the document receives the data and the web browser interprets and processes this data.

If my computer is off, the other 3 can connect at any time.  If my computer was on and my sister's computer was off, I can connect just fine, along with the others, whether on or off.  In otherwords, it's a direct connection from the DSL modem to the router, to the other computers rather than through some file server or proxy.