Weird_Jerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#901 Weird_Jerk
Member since 2010 • 646 Posts

Anyone here by chance snag a local or online 3080? Every vendor I saw, refreshing constantly, had them listed "coming soon" to "SOLD OUT" in a split second at 10:00 EST. Best Buy rep said they never even got any stocked. They weren't kidding when they said that they were ultra-limited lol.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#902 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts

@Weird_Jerk: I had no luck.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#903 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

@Weird_Jerk said:

Anyone here by chance snag a local or online 3080?..

never saw any actually available. have had "Notify Me" requests for a couple weeks or more for a few sites on 5 different cards and never got a response regarding any of them.

most retailers are claiming they received very limited amount of stock and with so many requests they are responding in the order the requests were submitted as more stock becomes available. though still doesn't mean they will actually be available. in the few minutes it could take for the response to even reach your mailbox, another 100 customers could have already tried to purchase.

I keep seeing more and more reviews popping up on the retailer product pages and I can't believe what the immature entitled brats are actually posting. 9 out of every 10 reviews I see have nothing to do with actual products and are just idiots complaining that they were conned by Nvidia or by the particular retailer because they can't purchase "their" RTX 3080. we've seen this exact limited quantity situation with many series launches now for many years and to expect anything else is just wishful thinking. of course we all hoped to get our hands on them asap but should have anticipated at the very least a few weeks for anything to actually be available.

Weird_Jerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#904 Weird_Jerk
Member since 2010 • 646 Posts

@elessarGObonzo: I hear ya on that. I got a bit excited, but I knew I was wishfully thinking when I walked into that BestBuy at opening time. I was a little surprised how aggravated and entitled some people were, claiming they waited outside the store for hours. People need to chill - it's not the employees' fault, and it's just a video card anyway.

If it does end up being a few weeks' wait (likely), I'll just wait to see what Big Navi brings to the table.

...However, I'm still anticipating getting those beautiful fins into my ITX system. =P It's also the closest version to a blower style card I can get.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#905 horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo: Nvidia could have delayed their launch a few weeks to build up more stock. Here the waiting time is over a month I believe. Hell I ordered within 5 minutes and got to wait 3 weeks or more before mine arrives.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#906 elessarGObonzo
@horgen said:

@elessarGObonzo: Nvidia could have delayed their launch a few weeks to build up more stock. Here the waiting time is over a month I believe. Hell I ordered within 5 minutes and got to wait 3 weeks or more before mine arrives.

thought you stated that you , "had no luck".

so, you would rather they had held off the release for a bit and then you may have ended waiting for 6 weeks or more for your order + delivery? and that still wouldn't guarantee the majority of home users would've had the opportunity. there still would've been many, many people and possibly purchasing bots waiting to refresh and purchase at that later release date.

this is the same way it happened with the GTX 9, 10 & RTX 20 series cards that led to the same crying and outrage. and also the same with many Intel CPU series. we just learn what to expect and to live with it.

now with Gigabyte and a few others releasing data(whether intentionally or not) that 8GB 3060s, 16GB 3070s and 20GB 3080s may be coming soon, possibly this delay in current availability may even turn out to be a good thing.

videocardz.com

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#907 horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo: No luck in getting one on launch day. Availability compared to what people wanted was shit here. I am not surprised if there is one between 3080, both price and memory that makes sense. Personally had no issues with 8GB so I expect 10 to work just as fine.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#908 elessarGObonzo
@horgen said:

@elessarGObonzo: No luck in getting one on launch day...

crazy you could find one available after all stocks had already been totally cleared out everywhere. maybe some retailer warehouse found one that had fallen off their cart and lost and you just happened to stumble upon the offer at the miracle time.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#909 horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo said:
@horgen said:

@elessarGObonzo: No luck in getting one on launch day...

crazy you could find one available after all stocks had already been totally cleared out everywhere. maybe some retailer warehouse found one that had fallen off their cart and lost and you just happened to stumble upon the offer at the miracle time.

I have to wait three weeks. I ordered within minutes, supposedly still stock left when I did. However the store I used the online system crashed so it took them 45 minutes to register my purchase.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#910 horgen  Moderator

This is getting frustrating.

RTX 3080 is further delayed. Another 10 days. Waterblock for it is also delayed. I am also waiting on two PSUs. One of them I ordered 3 months ago.

The other I ordered back in the middle of August I expected to be shipped today or yesterday, still no update.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#911 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I am glad I couldn't get one ordered... The more I think about it I would be better off waiting till the end of the year and grab a 20GB model or a Super variant for probably the same price when Nvidia drop prices to hurt AMD big navi release.

That said I did hurt a little.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#912 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: None of the games I've played so far has been close to 8GB so I am not worried about 10GB.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#913  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17895 Posts

@horgen said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: None of the games I've played so far has been close to 8GB so I am not worried about 10GB.

Yeah, no point in spending more money now for extra VRAM that is not being used. By the time 10GB+ usage becomes a thing, I will want to upgrade my GPU for more performance anyway.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#914 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@horgen: @horgen:

While I agree... I still think waiting for the 3080 Super as the abundant leaks of its existence show that its already ready to ship and just waiting for AMD is the smartest option.

As of right now I can't even get a 3080 and the ones I can order are the £750-799 ones, the ones that are £649 are all completely gone.

Why chase a GPU that will be replaced within several months?... I will just wait till November once stock is back and dust settles from AMD/Nvidia battle and buy a GPU then, absolutely no game out right now that I am playing requires me to sell a 2080 Ti and get a new GPU.

I learnt my lesson with the 2080 Ti... If I waited I would have got a 2080 Super.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#915 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: AMD supposed to release in November?

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#916 elessarGObonzo
@horgen said:

from techradar.com earlier this week:

"AMD will announce these new GPUs under the RX 6000 series branding on October 28."

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#917 horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo said:
@horgen said:

"AMD will announce these new GPUs under the RX 6000 series branding on October 28."

And by the looks of it I won't get my RTX 3080 before that happens.

I do wonder how power starved the 3080 and 3090 are.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#918  Edited By elessarGObonzo
@elessarGObonzo said:

@horgen said:

And by the looks of it I won't get my RTX 3080 before that happens.

I do wonder how power starved the 3080 and 3090 are.

i keep seeing some reviewers making a huge deal posting how terrible the overclock abilities are due to power limitations with the 3080 and how much of a rip-off it appears to be because they can't find any modified BIOS for power boosts. but then in the same review many of them will report that they get good enough speeds that it doesn't seem to matter in actual usage scenario.

i tried again with the 3090 launch but had the same issue, went from "unavailable" or "coming soon" to "sold out" within one refresh right at launch time on 4 different sites. again with no response from the 4 different retailers that I submitted multiple "notify me" requests for. figured even if it was total overkill and a bit too much $$, i would just easily unload it locally when some of the later iterations of the 3080 finally became available.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#919 horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo: It's a repeat (albeit much more this time) from the 2080/2080Ti cards. I've seen some youtube vids talking about power mods on those cards, how they will pull up to 500W. But the added power does very little to make the card faster. Nvidia has apparently done a good job with the power/performance ratio. 150-200 watts more for 200MHz is a lousy trade off.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#920 BassMan

Finally...

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#921  Edited By elessarGObonzo
@BassMan said:

Finally...

where'd you end up finding one available?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#922 BassMan

@elessarGObonzo: I back-ordered one on launch day at my local Canada Computers shop. They just got their first shipment yesterday. Only 2 cards and I was number 2 on the list. :)

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#923 elessarGObonzo
@BassMan said:

@elessarGObonzo: I back-ordered one on launch day at my local Canada Computers shop. They just got their first shipment yesterday. Only 2 cards and I was number 2 on the list. :)

only local shop in our town has a few of each of the ASUS TUF 3080s & 3090s in stock but is charging $999 & $2999. is a small locally owned shop and I told him he's going to get some nasty negative reviews for scalping and price gouging and probably lose some prospective customers because of it. response he gave was, "I don't care. I can just sell my stuff through Amazon then."

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#924  Edited By BassMan

@elessarGObonzo said:
@BassMan said:

only local shop in our town has a few of each of the ASUS TUF 3080s & 3090s in stock but is charging $999 & $2999. is a small locally owned shop and I told him he's going to get some nasty negative reviews for scalping and price gouging and probably lose some prospective customers because of it. response he gave was, "I don't care. I can just sell my stuff through Amazon then."

What a douche.

There are some online stores like Memory Express (Canada) that are taking back-orders. Probably some in the U.S. too.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#925 Grey_Eyed_Elf

AMD might get my money if he 5900X is faster than a 10900K in gaming... So excited.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#926 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

AMD might get my money if he 5900X is faster than a 10900K in gaming... So excited.

Out of the box or are you factoring in some OC in this?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#927  Edited By BassMan

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

It looks good, but your 8700K still holds up very well in gaming. So, I wouldn't get too excited as there will probably not be a noticeable difference on the vast majority of games. This will change in the next few years as the true next-gen games start to take advantage of more cores and become more demanding of the CPU.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#928 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@horgen said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Out of the box or are you factoring in some OC in this?

Stock for stock if it beats it, I'll be tempted.

@BassMan said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

It looks good, but your 8700K still holds up very well in gaming. So, I wouldn't get too excited as there will probably not be a noticeable difference on the vast majority of games. This will change in the next few years as the true next-gen games start to take advantage of more cores and become more demanding of the CPU.

Oh I am fully aware my 8700K when overclocked at even 1080p eats up Zen 2 and at 1440/4K there's no difference from any CPU upgrade for me, its more of a I want a system that has PCIe Gen4 and with at least 3 m.2 slots.

That said I probably won't, its just my impulsive buyer disease that is kicking in... Its why for the last 4 generations of Nvidia GPU's I have upgraded, haven't skipped a beat and the core counts of these CPU's and Gen4 speeds have index finger itching to add things to basket.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#929  Edited By BassMan

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: I know exactly what you are talking about. I am definitely guilty of it for GPUs. I always want more. However, I am pretty good with CPUs. I used 3770K for many years, but I needed more performance and upgraded to 7700K. However, that one was short lived as it became a bottleneck in BFV MP and I upgraded to 9900K. No issues whatsoever now. So, I only upgrade my CPU when it is bottle-necking my GPU. My best piece of advice for anyone that does not want to upgrade often... Do not buy a high refresh rate display as that changes everything. hehe :)

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#930  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf

@BassMan said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: I know exactly what you are talking about. I am definitely guilty of it for GPUs. I always want more. However, I am pretty good with CPUs. I used 3770K for many years, but I needed more performance and upgraded to 7700K. However, that one was short lived as it became a bottleneck in BFV MP and I upgraded to 9900K. No issues whatsoever now. So, I only upgrade my CPU when it is bottle-necking my GPU. My best piece of advice for anyone that does not want to upgrade often... Do not buy a high refresh rate display as that changes everything. hehe :)

When it comes to CPU's its never been a problem, as my 8700K is my first i7... and you really don't need anything stronger than a 8400 or 2600 for gaming at 4K, as its a complete GPU bottleneck resolution even with a 2080 Ti at 4K a 8700K is useless.

I had a high refresh 21:9 monitor but at the time I was working more from home and needed a true 10 bit panel with sRBG to die for and a high contrast as I shoot a lot of B&W for weddings, so I had to get rid of it after 8 months of use for a BenQ 3200Q that is calibrated... Still stunning to game on a 32" monitor with 3000:1 contrast ratio, its why I love my OLED so much contrast is everything when it comes to image quality for video/gaming throw in the fact that its a true 10 bit panel with a 100% sRGB calibration I just can't go back to 8Bit with fRC especially if its a IPS with 1000-1200:1 contrast.

IPS needs to die in my opinion, the contrast is just horrible. Makes sense only for laptops due to view angles but for desktop... Give me 10Bit VA with 5000:1 contrast at 120Hz and I'll throw a blank check at you.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#931  Edited By elessarGObonzo

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

IPS needs to die in my opinion...

i would have to say just the opposite. i've had two VA panels(27" flat & 34" curved) over the last decade and both of them had such terrible viewing angels that even sitting right up at a desk with them the edges and especially the corners were always off-color, washed out, and\or grayish tinted. i always had to sit at a very fixed position to get the best view and even then it wasn't ever perfect. once calibrated though it's true that the rest of the screen you could notice the higher contrast with any dark scenes or black images compared to most IPS panels.

HDR1000 displays are definitely nice and offered the best images i've seen. but basic 10bit color(HDR400 \ HDR600) didn't offer much, if any, improvement compared to a very high DCI-P3 % in the 20 or so displays i checked out this year.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#933 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@elessarGObonzo:

Well the problem is VA panels vary in viewing angle and I am guessing those two panels you tried/owned are both "gaming" panels i.e. 8 bit with FRC and were primarily designed for gaming.

VA panels designed for image quality offer little to no difference in viewing angles compared to a IPS panel, in-fact dare I say it my OLED TV that sits next to my 10 bit VA is not a night and day difference in viewing angles.

VA panels in terms of pure image quality can surpass IPS due to contrast differences and their traits of have worse viewing angles can be eliminated completely... Where as IPS panels there contrast issues can never be fixed, as its the nature of the tech that limits the contrast per pixel.

That said if you want a gaming monitor and good image quality then IPS is the way to go, but if you want just image quality then a high end VA panel will eat up IPS, just look at Samsung QLED TV's... 7000:1 contrast ratio, 10 bit HDR 1200 nit 5% peak brightness, that is not possible on IPS.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#934 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf:

That said if you want a gaming monitor and good image quality then IPS is the way to go, but if you want just image quality then a high end VA panel will eat up IPS, just look at Samsung QLED TV's... 7000:1 contrast ratio, 10 bit HDR 1200 nit 5% peak brightness, that is not possible on IPS.

What makes a hign end VA panel a poorer gaming monitor? Response time?

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#935 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Ordered a desk.

I liked using my dining table, but ever since I moved my entertainment system into my bedroom eleven months ago, it has made the space feel too cramped. The table is so close to the right front speaker. Gonna take some time to get used to just 24 inches of width from 35 inches.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#936  Edited By BassMan

@ezekiel43: It looks good.

@horgen said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf:

VA panels are prone to ghosting/smearing/overshoot issues with high contrast scenes. They are also more prone to black crush.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#937 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan said:

@horgen said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf:

VA panels are prone to ghosting/smearing/overshoot issues with high contrast scenes. They are also more prone to black crush.

Black crush? Could you explain that?

I know what ghosting is, but I have no idea how well I would notice it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#938  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@horgen said:
@BassMan said:

@horgen said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf:

Black crush? Could you explain that?

I know what ghosting is, but I have no idea how well I would notice it.

Thought someone was talking to me.

It's when the darks looks like blotches. No range. The Game of Thrones episode The Long Night had a lot of that. Look at the horrendous sky/horizon in the second picture.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#939 horgen  Moderator

@ezekiel43: I did write a response to you and then deleted it... Well parts of it.

Ah so that's the name of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#940  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

On second thought, Game of Thrones suffers more from color banding. Searching the term finds better examples.

I'm curious how much the upcoming complete 4K collection will mitigate those issues with its wider color range and higher bitrate. Won't be rewatching the show for a very long time, though.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#941 mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

I bought a bunch of stuff for my new build late Sept thru Oct in anticipation of the 30 series launch. Collected parts that piled up in my home office/game room for weeks. Grabbed a new monitor as well to replace my aging LG 34" curved ultrawide 3440x1440. Great monitor but was only 60hz. It was a good match for the 1080 and kept it’s pace in games. Picked up the new LG 38” G-Sync 144hz HDR 600 38GN950 monitor to go along with what I thought would be my soon to be in hand GPU. Really liking the extra res @ 3840x1600 but my 1080 can’t do it justice.

OF COURSE! I didn't get a card at launch so just took my time and started building anyways. Got sick of waiting to fire her up, so threw in my 1080 thinking it would be another month or more before landing a card….or even early 2021 by Jenson’s comments.

New setup is running great and now as of an early 12:30AM Tue morning F5'ing marathon......there's a new 3090 being delivered tomorrow! Can’t wait!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#942 BassMan

@mobius_basic: Very nice setup. I want that monitor and I will trade you my 3080 for your 3090. hehe :)

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#943 mobius_basic

@BassMan HA! Thank you! I have seen your setup(s) before in posts over the years and have been jelly.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#944 horgen  Moderator

@mobius_basic: Nice set up. Is it loud?

I got the RTX3080, waiting for a waterblock to it.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#945 mobius_basic

@horgen No not loud at all. I set fan profiles up in BIOS in 20sec step ups so they aren't ramping up and down frequently with my temp profiles. 90% of the time fans are at 35% when temp is below 50c. They ramp up to 50% at 65c and so on.

The new 10850k runs a lot hotter than my old Skylake. With both the 1080 and CPU on water. Average temps are about 28-30 for both with a loop temp of 24. Of course those temps will jump but I haven't seen 60c yet.

My 2090 gets here today so can't comment on that yet. I too am waiting on a waterblock and backplate from EK.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#946 horgen  Moderator

@mobius_basic said:

@horgen No not loud at all. I set fan profiles up in BIOS in 20sec step ups so they aren't ramping up and down frequently with my temp profiles. 90% of the time fans are at 35% when temp is below 50c. They ramp up to 50% at 65c and so on.

The new 10850k runs a lot hotter than my old Skylake. With both the 1080 and CPU on water. Average temps are about 28-30 for both with a loop temp of 24. Of course those temps will jump but I haven't seen 60c yet.

My 2090 gets here today so can't comment on that yet. I too am waiting on a waterblock and backplate from EK.

What RPM are 35% and 50% respectively?

I got a custom liquid loop myself, but atm only the 3900X is cooled by it as I am waiting on the EK block for my 3080.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#947  Edited By mobius_basic

@horgen 630 and 900 RPM +/-10%. Keep in mind that's going strictly off the fan specs but I say closer to 700/1000 +/-10% in real world. My case seems to muffle a lot of noise to me. I had been running an open air case for many years that was also WC'ed.

What is your loop made of? I am running 2x360 rads 38mm and 60mm with all EK blocks: Velocity CPU, Quantum VRM bridge and MSI full cover GPU. Before even installing I replaced my distro's DDC 3.1 pump with the more powerful 18w 3.2 (also added heat sink pump housing).

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#948 horgen  Moderator

@mobius_basic: radiator is the Mo-Ra3 420 with 4 230mm fans going at 500-550 rpm if water level reaches above 30c. Water temperature between 25 and 30 and only one fan running. Anything less than 25 and I got no fans running.

I use aquatuning for creating fan profiles.

EK supremacy for the cpu I think. Nothing else atm. Waiting for the gpu block. Some ek full cover block.

700-1000 rpm isn’t that loud. I had a previous rig with dual or triple 480 60mm radiator. However 12 fans makes lot of noise even at low rpm.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#949 mobius_basic

What a beast of a rad! Love it....I've actually never have come across anyone who has used one. First for everything. I've seen those at either Jayz2cents or GamersNexus before....can't remember which. But holy rad fan combo batman!! :)

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#950 horgen  Moderator

@mobius_basic: That’s what it took to cool 980Ti SLI And an intel i5 at acceptable noise levels.

I am picky when it comes to noise.