So nVidia has been dominating in the high end for over a Half-Decade Now.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

As 2021 comes to a close and looking at the latest benchmarks with DLSS 2.3 at 4K it looks like is nVidia is very lonely at the top.

Looking at the latest benchmarks with the latest drivers. It seems like with Ray Tracing enabled with all the bells and whistles with now DLSS 2.3 at 4K there is nothing that can touch the RTX 3090. Yes I know HD 6900 XT is good & competitive with RTX 3090 at Rasterized Games but if you are a graphics zealot like me there is really nothing to get other than nVidia at the moment. With Ray Tracing AMD is sometimes like 50% - 60% behind with Ray Traced enabled games with DLSS which is pretty sad.

As of latest graphics market share AMD is at a paltry 17%. It's like they don't care anymore. Yes, I know they have been allocating most of their wafers for Ryzen and PS5/Xbox One X because that's where the profits are. But it's sad that they are not allocating more or care for PC Gamers.

Fact of the matter AMD hasn't really been competitive in the high end since the Mid-2010's with maybe Fury X getting close to the 980 Ti in some cases. Vega 64 loses out to the 1080 Ti, 5700 XT can't compete with the 2080 Ti and HD 6900XT falls short of the RTX 3090 with Ray Tracing enabled.

If you look at the 2000's with AMD/ATI vs Nvidia. AMD/ATI was neck and neck and even beating nVidia with the likes of the 9700 Pro, X800XT PE, X1900XT. Even in the early 2010's 10 years ago in December of 2011 the HD 7970 was the most powerful GPU in the World and nVidia had nothing out at the moment. The R9 290X was matching the original Titan X at less than nearly half it's price.

I just hope AMD gets it's act together with RDNA 3 and Ray Tracing performance and actually go for the performance crown instead of just focusing on the Mid-end range. Heck at this moment I hope intel goes all out for the performance in their next couple of generations because frankly its hurting consumers.

Agree?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

I think AMD is okay with being 2nd place, it's still gives them salary and at what happens today with the GPU market - you'd be thrilled to buy a 2nd place brand just to enjoy PC gaming.

Myrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Myrick
Member since 2021 • 3 Posts

It's typical since AMD wastes too much power on their RTX. Not to mention the RGB lights on their CPUs adding that just increases the TDP, increasing the electric bill, then lowering sales.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I don't care who has the best GPU, I can't afford it anyway. For me 6600 XT looks better than 3060 12GB. It's available for less money (still overpriced but less money), it consumes less power and it wins in most of the games AFAIK. Yes it looses in ray tracing but it's like 17 vs 30 fps who gives a rats ass about that. I'm not playing with less than 60 fps. AMD is actually very competitive this gen and their approach makes a lot of sense to me. Just. Them prices...

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

AMD is likely to beat nVidia with the next round of cards, and nVidia seems to be aware of it, because their marketing tactics become scummier when the competition becomes tougher. Especially when it comes to power consumption. nVidia may be willing to increase power consumption to 550w just to beat AMD, but at that point, are they really beating them?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

AMD is likely to beat nVidia with the next round of cards, and nVidia seems to be aware of it, because their marketing tactics become scummier when the competition becomes tougher. Especially when it comes to power consumption. nVidia may be willing to increase power consumption to 550w just to beat AMD, but at that point, are they really beating them?

Yes, they are beating them if the performance is greater.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
@BassMan said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

I don't know, consuming possibly 150w more power for a probably 5, maybe 10% performance advantage... I'd choose the more efficient option.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#9  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts
@AlexKidd5000 said:
@BassMan said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

I don't know, consuming possibly 150w more power for a probably 5, maybe 10% performance advantage... I'd choose the more efficient option.

Power is not a concern for me as it is clean hydro energy where I live and higher power usage is not going to effect my electric bill much. Also, we don't know what the performance difference is going to be between AMD and Nvidia.

RDNAv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 RDNAv2
Member since 2019 • 230 Posts

Only reason I chose a 3090 over a 6900 XT is hashrate

Double the hash rate is just too much for me to ignore