ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

So I got a new gpu, rx 6650xt, should be good, I got it because my gtx 1060 was failing to post. Here's where stuff goes from mundane to weird.

My gtx 1060 is fine, I put it in my folding box, and it sung beautifully, I put my new gpu into my system and she refuses to go.

Next I take my ancient as binary HD 6950 from HIS, a card that needs both my power connectors and she rolls over like it isn't even a problem, my graphics card slot, works fine, my power connectors appear to be working fine. For whatever reason, good or ill, the same system swapping a graphics card says mmm sorry no can do?

Can someone explain this to me? The 6950 should be chugging power like a beast compared to the single 8 pin rx 6650 I just bought, so the power supply being at fault is very much... called into question here, and if it's the motherboard, please explain how the HIS is booting just at all really

I don't have onboard graphics on my b350m pro vdh, so if someone can explain to me, what... demon I have conjured to me, it would be greatly appreciated, I will post updates as I experiment with various solutions, I'm not sure any of them will make any sense

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@ionusX:

I would try resetting cmos and then try updating the motherboard bios. Its possible that the newer gpu is not being recognized. And you could try disabling any type of secure boot options in bios which can can issues with gpus.

Note* just seen your other thread that your still using a OCZ 650w ZS, I think its time to retire that power supply, its possible its not supplying clean power to the system anymore, the GTX 1060 and RX 6650xt are probably more sensitive too it than that old 6950. You can drive to a Bestbuy and grab a new Corsair 650/750w or any Microcenter having more options of good psus.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

@04dcarraher: so update here, I did do that, I went down and got a new Thermaltake El cheapo 750 watt and it was working fine for a time anyway, several days later it simply wouldn't roll over, even swapped gpus again and it wouldn't roll over. This having failed to yield results.

I go down to my local memory express, buy a new corsair 850 modular, a new case, I splurge on a higher end modern Chipset amd motherboard

... still nothing.

I reseat my ram, reseat my gpu, I go so far as to swap parts from a work pc, I talk my little brother into donating his pc for donor parts, nothing...

I have the same black screen as before. The only option I have not yet exhausted is reverse parts testing. Which I will be doing tomorrow, failure to yield any meaningful results will see me sending the pc to memory express for testing, repair, and servicing

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2136 Posts

Wtf does "roll over" even mean in this context? If just don't get a video signal, try the other output ports on the GPU.