Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2446 Posts

Had to reinstall Windows. Before doing that, I looked through my app data folder and moved all the game saves to a different hard drive, called the folder ".app data and Saved Games while reinstalling Windows," with period at the beginning so I'd see it above all the other folders on the hard drive, placing each save in respective Local, LocalRow and Roaming, so that I'd remember where to put them. Even though it wasn't the system drive, the Windows reinstall deleted all those folders. It also deleted the "Saved Games" folder that Windows places in Documents, which I moved to the same place. They're not hidden; I'm not that dumb. It's irksome how developers place their saves in so many weird locations.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

Yes.

It's unfortunate Windows hides hidden files and folders by default. 'AppData' is an important folder. I still couldn't tell you wtf local and roaming are.

I do think it being in the user's local home directory is the right move.

Windows: "C:\Users\user\AppData"

Linux: "/home/user/.local"

That's where devs should store local data, so you can easily back it up with a daily script or something. I tend to treat my desktop PC as ephemeral. Can and will fail and automated backups can help avoid a bad time.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1560 Posts

@warm_gun: This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Programs Files (x86) > Steam > userdata > 100822798

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I see a lot of game folders at these location that seem to house saved game files:

C:\Users\Xxxxxx\Documents\My Games

C:\Users\Xxxxxx\Documents

C:\Users\Xxxxxx\AppData\Local

C:\Users\Xxxxxx\AppData\LocalLow

C:\Users\Xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming

There are other places, but it depends on what digital platform you use. Saved games are scattered, it can be hard to keep tabs on them all or even at times find where them.