This topic is locked from further discussion.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

So most games have some kind of in game voice option. I got Pubg after 1.0 release, and lots of people say they are grouping on discord.

I'm just curious as I haven't really used an app like this (I have it downloaded and linked to steam/blizzard/etc/etc) and am just curious for those in the know how and why to use this program?

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

I think in PUBG if you use in-game chat your opponents can hear you if they're nearby. Also, Discord has much better quality audio and uses very little resources for the clarity boost it provides.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

It's pretty easy to use and has a good chat system as well, easy to find own discord servers for different games etc, so good for games with smaller communities

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Short answer: Its better

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

It's pretty great. There's separate channels in each server. They are very generous with how large the images you upload are. It's very easy to do things like notify specific people, it's just very streamlined. Posts and pictures stay there forever as of right now.

My only worry is that they're going to run out of money pretty fast, there's no ads really on discord.

Steam feels very archaic compared to Discord once you've used Discord for a while. Steam still doesn't even have basic touch support which would be nice on my Surface Book.

Grumpy_Pantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Grumpy_Pantz
Member since 2017 • 5 Posts

I like discord because in the many games i play there are clans/ guilds involved who usualy also have a channel in Discord. That way my comerades can contact me when im not in game without havin to give personal information like fb or anything. VC and stuff also goes rly smooth without to much cpu usage (i think, im not an expert on this matter)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

So most games have some kind of in game voice option. I got Pubg after 1.0 release, and lots of people say they are grouping on discord.

I'm just curious as I haven't really used an app like this (I have it downloaded and linked to steam/blizzard/etc/etc) and am just curious for those in the know how and why to use this program?

It's the best voice chat for gaming currently out there.
Let's you instantly join other chat servers (rooms) and have friends across the whole platform.

My friends and I use it for every game we need to communicate in.

As for PUBG, if it's randoms I'm playing with I just use the in-built voip.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

The vast majority of PC games don't have VOIP (FPS are typically the only games that come with it). I have to use Discord whenever I play a MOBA or MMO, for example.

This is one advantage consoles have over PCs. They have VOIP in all their games.

I'll also use Discord when playing with friends even if in-game VOIP is available since it's higher quality.

BeardedRico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BeardedRico
Member since 2018 • 15 Posts

Discord is really good the audio quality of everyones mics etc is enhanced and generally it runs very smooth. Although if one of you is having slight connection issues your voice may lag or break up in it. Also its really easy to create groups and doubles as a kind of message board too.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Discord is the mcdonalds of chat apps currently.

It put together a blend of text chat / voice / vid chat, etc. And while its not awesome at any of them (especially considering its bloatware level use if system resources) , its the easiest option currently.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

@dxmcat said:

Discord is the mcdonalds of chat apps currently.

It put together a blend of text chat / voice / vid chat, etc. And while its not awesome at any of them (especially considering its bloatware level use if system resources) , its the easiest option currently.

https://feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/11071080-reduce-ram-and-bandwidth-usage

Good explanation from the developer, and from the amount of RAM it uses it's insignificant since gamers these days have above 8GB.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dxmcat

The amount of CPU it uses is extremely significant.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FelipeInside

@dxmcat said:

According to that link, uses the same amount as TeamSpeak for audio chat.

I've been using Discord for a year now (at least) and I can't see any slowdowns anywhere (and I'm on a 3rd Gen CPU)

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dxmcat

@FelipeInside said:
@dxmcat said:

I've been using Discord for a year now (at least) and I can't see any slowdowns anywhere (and I'm on a 3rd Gen CPU)

Thats a blatant lie cause I have used both for years now. The difference is noticeable in running for max frames in games , leaving gpu/cpu at ~100%

10% off the cpu makes a considerable difference in framerate. Like I said, its not the best, but it does a lot of things "ok".

Mumble has better voice quality, IRC is still the best text chat, etc.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

@dxmcat said:
@FelipeInside said:
@dxmcat said:

Thats a blatant lie cause I have used both for years now. The difference is noticeable in running for max frames in games , leaving gpu/cpu at ~100%

10% off the cpu makes a considerable difference in framerate. Like I said, its not the best, but it does a lot of things "ok".

Cool.

The developer said that their tests give the same amount of usage as TeamSpeak and I don't see a noticeable slowdown on my machine which is now 3 years old (and none of my many friends who use Discord don't do either), but I guess it's a lie.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dxmcat

@FelipeInside said:
@dxmcat said:
@FelipeInside said:
@dxmcat said:

Cool.

The developer said that their tests give the same amount of usage as TeamSpeak and I don't see a noticeable slowdown on my machine which is now 3 years old (and none of my many friends who use Discord don't do either), but I guess it's a lie.

Not everyone can see the diff between 60hz and 144.......so, yea. Cool.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FelipeInside

@dxmcat said:

Cool.

I'm just saying it might be noticeable for you where you probably have a visual list of numbers going and can see a few percentages of differences but gaming wise I don't see a slowdown and that's what matters. If it was as bad as you make it out to be then Discord wouldn't have millions of users using it.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dxmcat

@FelipeInside said:
@dxmcat said:

Cool.

I'm just saying it might be noticeable for you where you probably have a visual list of numbers going and can see a few percentages of differences but gaming wise I don't see a slowdown and that's what matters. If it was as bad as you make it out to be then Discord wouldn't have millions of users using it.

That same line of thinking can be applied to fast food as well.

Yea not many people require 240+ fps ........but I love running my benchmark programs on that, must be why i need it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

@dxmcat said:
@FelipeInside said:
@dxmcat said:

Cool.

That same line of thinking can be applied to fast food as well.

Yea not many people require 240+ fps ........but I love running my benchmark programs on that, must be why i need it.

What rez are you running at?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@demi0227_basic: It's basically the next gen TeamSpeak with all that UI but it's got often server issues so I'm still on TeamSpeak.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I've kinda figured it out by now, and I have to say it's been pretty nifty. I like that I can join a squad on pubg in there first so we can go game to game and such.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58378 Posts

Haven't used Discored, but back in the day I used TeamSpeak and Ventrillo (?). I think they are better, usually, have more options you can make your own channels/rooms within a main channel/room, so you can have like a general guild channel, but if part of the guild is doing a raid or dungeon and don't want to be disturbed by general banter they can make their own private channel.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts
  • I use it because I have other friends that use it.
  • It's a common tool that we can use regardless of what launcher a game uses.
  • The chat is really good.
  • Seems to work well.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Haven't used Discored, but back in the day I used TeamSpeak and Ventrillo (?). I think they are better, usually, have more options you can make your own channels/rooms within a main channel/room, so you can have like a general guild channel, but if part of the guild is doing a raid or dungeon and don't want to be disturbed by general banter they can make their own private channel.

What you just described is exactly what you can do in Discord as well.

Anton__hansen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Anton__hansen
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

It's super smooth :)

Avatar image for johnserverblend
JohnServerBlend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JohnServerBlend
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

Easier, Better communities and can create bots

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

More options. Better voice program. Can invite people from outside the game.

BLN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BLN1
Member since 2017 • 128 Posts

Why not?

IronWulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By IronWulf
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

As was said, it is game-independent, easy to use, and doesn't take much bandwidth.

Avatar image for franciscusfirst
franciscusfirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 franciscusfirst
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

I agree in some ways that discord is better but except for its community aspect I personally still like teamspeak better

Directorscar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Directorscar
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

I use discord to talk and chat with friends I've meet over online games like smite

King_of_ducks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 King_of_ducks
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

Discord is a really good application when it comes to voice chat due to how easy it is to manage a server and join them. It's also gotten a lot better since they added private calls, screen sharing, and cool DMing methods on the friends list.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Not a lot makes me laugh these days but every time i see this title it makes me. I dont no why. :P

Avatar image for misterdeathborn
misterdeathborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By misterdeathborn
Member since 2018 • 22 Posts

Well, it's really easy to organize and set stuff up at Discord. Creating roles, making servers, assigning permissions and things like that. The VC looks smooth most of the time and Nitro (a paid feature) giving you animated emojis and avatar pics seems awesome too. It's also really easy to advertise for Discord servers.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34664 Posts

I've used Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Mumble and Discord. I'd recommend Discord if you like quality and ease of use. I'd recommend Mumble if audio quality is very important for you as it sounds the best. Teamspeak is the worst of the bunch.

Miguel304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Miguel304
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

Discord is the messaging platform for gamers who use text, voice chat, and video calling to play games, plan gaming sessions, and communicate with like-minded individuals. If you want to learn about more than here is place. Go ahead and check the blogs.