Gun Debate Time: where do you stand on the Missouri couple with their guns?

• 131 results
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Poll Gun Debate Time: where do you stand on the Missouri couple with their guns? (38 votes)

They were right! They were threatened and deserve the right to defend themselves. 55%
They were wrong! They should have just gone inside and called the police if they felt threatened. 37%
I like chicken, I like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver 8%
Why is Gamespot forcing me to fill in the blanks!!?? 0%

Howdy!

So a week or two ago I am sure many of you heard the story about this couple that were photographed brandishing firearms while standing on their property as a group of protesters marched by.

Their story: some people from the group marching by threatened to kill the couple and their dog, so they went in brought out their guns in an act of self-defense.

The other side: this couple didn't like protesters in their neighborhood and preemptively, and with prejudice, went and got their guns and threatened the crowd.

Link 1 - Missouri AG defends couple charged with felony for misuse of firearms

Link 2 - Couple charged with felony for unlawful use of weapon

Link 3 - Couple have weapons seized after police search house

So, what say you? Reasonable display of people exercising their 2A rights? Racist couple just hating on BLM!? Or is there more to it?

My take?

I think if there was ever a right time to exercise your Second Amendment rights, it's when an angry mob trespasses on your property and threatens to kill you. Now obviously not all of the crowd was doing that, just some bad apples (and I am sure the guns didn't help as it probably antagonized more people into trespassing and getting angry), but the fact is if people threaten your life and livelihood you need to take a stand.

I definitely think the left is spinning this in their favor to make these people look like rich, entitled, racist white people when they are not. Fun fact: the husband is a lawyer who takes a lot of civil rights cases, and the couple support the BLM! movement, and donate to NAACP. They sure didn't tell you that in many of the articles!

TL;DR: say what you want about guns, gun ownership, and guns in America but if there was ever a time to argue the case for gun ownership, this is a pretty good example of why it should be a thing. Clearly they felt (and might have been) in immediate danger, the police no doubt had their hands full and likely would either ignore or be late to respond to their 911 call, and so on.

With that said, I don't think brandishing weapons and standing defiantly on the front patio was the right response. They should have just stayed inside with their weapons ready should the worst happen. Standing out front with your little pistol, a smug "Karen" look on your face, and your hand on your hip like looking like you're telling the crowd "try me, bitches, see what happens" is not really a smart idea.

• 
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#101 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50664 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

They shouldn't have pointed.

Nonetheless, they were defending their property. Protesters shouldn't have been there. They knew what they were doing too. They want to provoke people and be violent.

Pointing is a big no-no, I totally agree. There is a huge difference between a defensive posture and a threatening one. Not to mention the whole accident likelihood (i.e. accidentally discharging) skyrockets when you start pointing guns at people with finger on the trigger versus holding guns pointing at the ground with finger off.

Functional or not, it was worrying to see that woman handle her gun so nonchalantly.

Can they point if they feel threatened? This is the thing I'm wondering about.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#102 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

Nonetheless, they were defending their property. Protesters shouldn't have been there. They knew what they were doing too. They want to provoke people and be violent.

Pointing is a big no-no, I totally agree. There is a huge difference between a defensive posture and a threatening one. Not to mention the whole accident likelihood (i.e. accidentally discharging) skyrockets when you start pointing guns at people with finger on the trigger versus holding guns pointing at the ground with finger off.

Functional or not, it was worrying to see that woman handle her gun so nonchalantly.

Depends what state but I think the overall censuses is that you can't.

You can't shoot someone on the leg either. That's illegal in a lot of places. You must prove that your intent was to defend yourself, not because you felt threatened but because your life was in actual danger.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:
@Chutebox said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

Depends what state but I think the overall censuses is that you can't.

You can't shoot someone on the leg either. That's illegal in a lot of places. You must prove that your intent was to defend yourself, not because you felt threatened but because your life was in actual danger.

From what I understand this is why most institutions train their people to "shoot to kill". Less chance of a lawsuit when the person is dead instead of wounded and alive.

If the person is dead, people will generally believe the shooter had no choice, true or not. If the person is shot and wounded, the victim could say "Oh well obviously I was not threatening their life, otherwise they would have shot me dead. So I am going to take your ass to court for excessive force" or whatever.

Not sure if that's true or not, just something I've read a few times.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#104 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts

@mrbojangles25: It's always trained to neutralize the threat, never shoot to kill, even if death is a common result.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127527 Posts

@ad1x2 said:
@horgen said:

@ad1x2: Broken gate? Even Fox News says it wasn't...

But the video shows the protesters walking through the gate, which did not appear to be damaged at the time.

If it was destroyed, it was destroyed later on.

Edit: By standard right wing argument I now need to call all of your arguments on what happened a lie. At least not trustworthy as you have posted one lie. :P

If the protestors didn't break the gate, then that is one less offense against them. That still wouldn't erase the threats, trespassing, and other violations the St. Louis DA is ignoring in favor of going after a couple that was presumably afraid for their lives.

Sadly I will have to dismiss your whole post because of that lie. :P

Do you think the DA has a chance to identify which protesters were coming with threats? Going after the couple is much easier. We got them on video.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: 2 pages of people explaining how you're wrong, you're either extremely dumb or trolling, its hard to tell the difference.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178873 Posts

@vfighter said:

@LJS9502_basic: 2 pages of people explaining how you're wrong, you're either extremely dumb or trolling, its hard to tell the difference.

Dumb? Considering they still violated the St. Louis law I'd say those excusing their behavior are more in line with your slur. Come back to me after you read the law and not until. Or are you trolling? I actually expect trumpers to be wrong all the time anyway. It's what they do. So don't use an appeal to whatever you guys are. Certainly not authorities.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#108 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I’m no legal expert, but I don’t think they did anything wrong. It’s just not what I would have done. The only time I would even consider getting my firearm is if they were breaking into my home. The protesters were trespassing on private property and vandalized a gate. None of which they have a right to do.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@vfighter said:

Dumb? Considering they still violated the St. Louis law I'd say those excusing their behavior are more in line with your slur. Come back to me after you read the law and not until. Or are you trolling? I actually expect trumpers to be wrong all the time anyway. It's what they do. So don't use an appeal to whatever you guys are. Certainly not authorities.

@LJS9502_basic said:
@vfighter said:

ROFL like the left is any better. Give me a break man. You all are some of the biggest hypocrites in government right now. You all justify a position because someone else has done it.

BTW you are wrong about this.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 LJS9502_basic

@Xabiss said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

ROFL like the left is any better. Give me a break man. You all are some of the biggest hypocrites in government right now. You all justify a position because someone else has done it.

BTW read the law cited by the DA. You're wrong.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Xabiss

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Xabiss said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

BTW read the law cited by the DA. You're wrong.

Nope, those are political charges. He will be wrong when this goes to court.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#112 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

If people can't defend their homes from an angry mob, there's no point in having freedom. No jury would ever convict them, and the DA who charged them should be thrown out of office.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@horgen said:
@ad1x2 said:
@horgen said:

@ad1x2: Broken gate? Even Fox News says it wasn't...

But the video shows the protesters walking through the gate, which did not appear to be damaged at the time.

If it was destroyed, it was destroyed later on.

Edit: By standard right wing argument I now need to call all of your arguments on what happened a lie. At least not trustworthy as you have posted one lie. :P

If the protestors didn't break the gate, then that is one less offense against them. That still wouldn't erase the threats, trespassing, and other violations the St. Louis DA is ignoring in favor of going after a couple that was presumably afraid for their lives.

Sadly I will have to dismiss your whole post because of that lie. :P

Do you think the DA has a chance to identify which protesters were coming with threats? Going after the couple is much easier. We got them on video.

Let's think realistically about this. Politically speaking, the St. Louis DA has little to no incentive to even try and identify anybody of the protestors involved. I can pretty much guarantee that if that crowd wasn't involved with BLM they would put a better effort into identifying the people involved. Either that or they showed up at her house as other protesters did at the Seattle mayor's house before she took action.

In regards to the couple, it's extremely unlikely they will face any punishment. This is to satisfy the mob that is pulling the race card and is strongly implying that they were just a racist couple that wanted to shoot poor black people. The MO governor already said he would pardon them if things didn't go their way, but I think the DA will have a tough time finding a jury that will convict them anyway if the defense does their job and screens them correctly. That's assuming the MO AG doesn't get the charges thrown out first.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127527 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

Let's think realistically about this. Politically speaking, the St. Louis DA has little to no incentive to even try and identify anybody of the protestors involved. I can pretty much guarantee that if that crowd wasn't involved with BLM they would put a better effort into identifying the people involved. Either that or they showed up at her house as other protesters did at the Seattle mayor's house before she took action.

In regards to the couple, it's extremely unlikely they will face any punishment. This is to satisfy the mob that is pulling the race card and is strongly implying that they were just a racist couple that wanted to shoot poor black people. The MO governor already said he would pardon them if things didn't go their way, but I think the DA will have a tough time finding a jury that will convict them anyway if the defense does their job and screens them correctly. That's assuming the MO AG doesn't get the charges thrown out first.

Do you think it would be easy to identify those who trespassed, those who threatened them?

Avatar image for deactivated-610a70a317506
deactivated-610a70a317506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#115  Edited By deactivated-610a70a317506
Member since 2017 • 658 Posts

@LJS9502_basic:

You keep saying "they broke the law" or "they violated the law". It seems you have already decided they are guilty.

Now I know you are a smart person, and have read the US Constitution. What happened to the presumption of innocence? Does simply being charged prove the person being charged "broke the law"? Of course not. So why do you keep stating that as though it were a fact?

marleygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 marleygamer
Member since 2020 • 132 Posts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@comeonman said:

@LJS9502_basic:

You keep saying "they broke the law" or "they violated the law". It seems you have already decided they are guilty.

Now I know you are a smart person, and have read the US Constitution. What happened to the presumption of innocence? Does simply being charged prove the person being charged "broke the law"? Of course not. So why do you keep stating that as though it were a fact?

Yeah those arguing semantics are being very disingenuous because if a violent mob was threatening their home and family, you'd best believe they'd fight back with any means necessary, legality be damned.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@horgen said:
@ad1x2 said:

Do you think it would be easy to identify those who trespassed, those who threatened them?

I can't say, because I don't know how much footage the DA's office has access to. It's possible they may have access to footage that didn't make the internet. Maybe the couple had video surveillance that could show some of the faces that didn't appear in the viral video, for example. Even something as simple as a Ring Doorbell could have captured that if they owned one.

Keep in mind that on the other side of the political aisle, right-leaning protestors have been doxxed based on their faces being visible in footage of past protests. Sometimes, there have been false identifications, but other times the identifications have been accurate.

Even if they have the means to identify those people, the DA still has to have the desire to identify those people. So far, she has made it clear she has no desire to do so, rather her priorities are to prosecute the couple for pointing weapons at the protestors instead.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@briguyb13 said:
@comeonman said:

@LJS9502_basic:

Yeah those arguing semantics are being very disingenuous because if a violent mob was threatening their home and family, you'd best believe they'd fight back with any means necessary, legality be damned.

That doesn't mean they wouldn't be charged.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@LJS9502_basic said:
@briguyb13 said:
@comeonman said:

@LJS9502_basic:

Yes, it does. Context is a deciding factor in to whom does or does not get charged with crimes. People aren't robots. Their charges will be dropped, guaranteed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-610a70a317506

@LJS9502_basic said:
@briguyb13 said:
@comeonman said:

@LJS9502_basic:

Being charged isn't proof they broke the law.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 LJS9502_basic

@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@briguyb13 said:

Being charged means the DA feels there is a case to be made that the law was violated. Whether they prove it or not or have the accused take a plea deal is entirely different.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-610a70a317506

@LJS9502_basic said:
@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@briguyb13 said:

Being charged means the DA feels there is a case to be made that the law was violated. Whether they prove it or not or have the accused take a plea deal is entirely different.

Sometimes the DA files charges for less than proper reasons, sometimes even nefarious reasons. But no matter why they were charged, you cannot use the fact that they were charged as proof that these people "broke the law", or "violated the law". To do so demonstrates an unwillingness to adhere to one of our most cherished liberties, the presumption of innocence.

By my count, you have stated 8 times in this thread that this couple either broke or violated the law. Before any trial. Before any opportunity to present their defense, you have already convicted them in your mind.

I hope for this couple's sake that you are not in the jury pool. You are a prosecutor's wet dream.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#124 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
@comeonman said:
But no matter why they were charged, you cannot use the fact that they were charged as proof that these people "broke the law", or "violated the law". To do so demonstrates an unwillingness to adhere to one of our most cherished liberties, the presumption of innocence.

Easy way to get out of jury duty, though. "If they weren't guilty they wouldn't be in jail."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@LJS9502_basic said:
@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@briguyb13 said:

We all know what she was doing, and who she thinks she was doing it for. She will be shut down for this nonsense.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Xabiss

@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@briguyb13 said:

Sometimes the DA files charges for less than proper reasons, sometimes even nefarious reasons. But no matter why they were charged, you cannot use the fact that they were charged as proof that these people "broke the law", or "violated the law". To do so demonstrates an unwillingness to adhere to one of our most cherished liberties, the presumption of innocence.

By my count, you have stated 8 times in this thread that this couple either broke or violated the law. Before any trial. Before any opportunity to present their defense, you have already convicted them in your mind.

I hope for this couple's sake that you are not in the jury pool. You are a prosecutor's wet dream.

100% this. To many times in this country when someone gets charges brought against them we automatically assume guilt or they broke the law. That crap really needs to stop, that is what the courts are for. Charges are not facts of law, the facts of law is when the court decides what happens to you and decides if you broke the law or not.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 LJS9502_basic

@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Yes. I use the law as a guide unlike you who picks a side and emotion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-610a70a317506

@LJS9502_basic said:
@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I have not expressed an opinion on this situation. If I were to state my opinion, I would not declare it to be fact.

Obviously you are going to persist in declaring these people to be guilty, so carry on. I am just thankful that we have a constitution that prevents a single individual like this DA, or yourself for that matter, from being the sole arbiter of guilt and innocence.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 mrbojangles25

@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I have not expressed an opinion on this situation. If I were to state my opinion, I would not declare it to be fact.

Obviously you are going to persist in declaring these people to be guilty, so carry on. I am just thankful that we have a constitution that prevents a single individual like this DA, or yourself for that matter, from being the sole arbiter of guilt and innocence.

On the other hand, you might get a jury full of LJS9502's....

On a similar note, if emotion and "picking sides" doesn't factor into the law, then why do lawyers use it as such an effective tool to sway the jury's opinion.

Believe me I wish the law was as objective as we think it is, but it is not. Accusing these people of these various crimes is, in fact, an emotional action by the DA to appease the BLM folks and other sides of this debate.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Xabiss

If this is true and she is found guilty of this, you just cant make this stuff up anymore. ROFLMAO!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 mrbojangles25

@Xabiss said:

If this is true and she is found guilty of this, you just cant make this stuff up anymore. ROFLMAO!

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

On the other hand, you might get a jury full of LJS9502's....

On a similar note, if emotion and "picking sides" doesn't factor into the law, then why do lawyers use it as such an effective tool to sway the jury's opinion.

Believe me I wish the law was as objective as we think it is, but it is not. Accusing these people of these various crimes is, in fact, an emotional action by the DA to appease the BLM folks and other sides of this debate.

Yea its kind of disgusting. I've had to do jury duty twice. Both times I was the odd one out when it came to agreeing on stuff. There was myself (the youngest juror) and the only person who agreed with me was the oldest. Both making our decisions objectively and not being swayed by lawyers emotional theatric shit. oh well.