texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14939 Posts

https://www.thecut.com/2020/08/how-were-the-dnc-speakers-chosen.html?utm_source=tw&utm_campaign=nym&utm_medium=s1

Seriously, what were they thinking? How do they screw this up so badly? How "out of touch" is Tom Perez and the DNC? Are they trying to lose the election, to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory? Wow, can someone make Howard Dean the DNC chairman again, he at least knew what he was doing.

Why in hell do you limit the most talented politician in the country to a speech of 60 seconds? Someone who is key in driving put young and progressive voters? Where are the Latinx speakers? Oh, wait, lets ignore them like they have already ignore Latinx voters. Lets ignore the young Democrats who are the most likely to be the future of the party. Who needs their vote, like in 2016?

Lets let John Kasich speak, even though Democrats do not want him to. Lets give Bloomberg a slot, despite him being disliked by many in the party. And hell, lets not include the right centrists, like the ones running for Senate like Mark Kelly. Where is the strategy?

Lets ignore Andrew Yang until shamed into including him.

This convention is been a blunderfest and it shows. The DNC keeps wanting to court the white working class voter that simply put, won't win over in large numbers, while ignoring young people, progressives, and minorities. Are they this ignorant?

And for an example, today Kasich decided to take a shot at AOC before his speech, then predictably gets bodied by her. Hooray for unity.....lol

Biden is one lucky candidate right now. He can get away with so much poor campaigning right now because Trump basically is "trying to lose the election". Trump has been such a disaster, he can run a campaign style that has historically failed. He can still pull a Dewey, we have 2 and a half months left. And if he wins, if he runs the country like his campaign, he will end up like Jimmy Carter, in many ways.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

If you had your way Democrats would lose very badly.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

There’s a DNC happening like at a stadium? I thought that mass gatherings were frowned upon by Democrats - well, unless you’re rioting/protesting?

Democrats are a joke this term. What you’re witnessing is a strategy of what not to do in 2024.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 texasgoldrush

@Sevenizz said:

There’s a DNC happening like at a stadium? I thought that mass gatherings were frowned upon by Democrats - well, unless you’re rioting/protesting?

Democrats are a joke this term. What you’re witnessing is a strategy of what not to do in 2024.

Its a remote convention, no mass gathering, many speeches were pre-recorded.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 texasgoldrush
@zaryia said:

If you had your way Democrats would lose very badly.

How?

Driving up votes from the base? The way most elections are won? Paying attention to the needs of minority communities that didn't turn out in 2016? That is losing badly? Featuring Senate candidates that can flip GOP held seats? That's bad strategy? Featuring talented politicians that build toward their party's future? That is losing?

Face it, I have seen successfully run conventions with well placed lineups that have historical impacts. I know what I am talking about.

Running from key voting blocs, snubbing key influential figures, and featuring controversial speakers is not a winning strategy, especially long term.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
Member since 2020 • 2126 Posts

*Yawn*

And are you talking about AOC? I like her, but she alienates moderates, something Democrats need to win.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 texasgoldrush

@thegreatchomp said:

*Yawn*

And are you talking about AOC? I like her, but she alienates moderates, something Democrats need to win.

How? There is no evidence of that and in fact many praised her for how she handled Ted Yoho.

And AOC, unlike Sanders, has the skills to win over moderates. She also won them in her own district in her primary.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@texasgoldrush: Please just kidnap her already and keep her locked away in your basement so you'll finally shut up about her.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 texasgoldrush

Another idiotic snub: Julian Castro

I am utterly shocked on the lack of Latino and Latina speakers at the DNC this year. Its like they do not care about a significant voter group. Biden's Latinx outreach is terrible and the DNC wants to amplify this mistake.

Why isn't Lina Hidalgo a rising star featured in the keynote? She became the executive of the third largest county in the nation being an immigrant at 28.

But nope, they rather try and flip white working class voters who for the most part, won't flip and rather placate to rich donors instead of activists trying to make change.

And no strategy either. Where is Mark Kelly? Cal Cunningham, John Hickenlooper, Sara Gideon, Harvey Bullock? You know the Senate candidates most likely to flip GOP Senate seats. Oh, lets have Bloomberg instead, who isn't running for anything, who is hated by much of the party and has a history of sexual harassment. They are not even featuring the right moderates as well, nevermind hamstringing progressives.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58432 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@thegreatchomp said:

*Yawn*

How? There is no evidence of that and in fact many praised her for how she handled Ted Yoho.

And AOC, unlike Sanders, has the skills to win over moderates. She also won them in her own district in her primary.

Do you think so? Idunno man she seems a lot more far left than Sanders.

She is definitely more likable. Though I don't think moderates like her all that much, they tend to go for the Clintons and Bidens of the world.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 texasgoldrush

@mrbojangles25 said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@thegreatchomp said:

*Yawn*

She is definitely more likable. Though I don't think moderates like her all that much, they tend to go for the Clintons and Bidens of the world.

Likability is KEY in politics, very rarely does a less liked candidate win over a more liked one, regardless of ideology. And from many moderates I have talked to, they like her even though they do not agree with her on everything.

And you do not win your primary 75-18 against a well funding moderate challenger without appealing to moderates, even in a more progressive district such as hers.

Skill matters as well. She is a far better messenger and has other talents that are superior to Bernie Sanders. She has the ability to win over moderates, which most progressives do not have. As much as I love Ilhan Omar (ANOTHER snub at this convention), her primary, while great for her in that seat, shows her limitations with moderates, for example.

AOC has managed to win over moderates like Howard Dean (who knows well about political strategy).

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Strange, fox news are saying that Michelle Obama's speech was fantastic.....

You must have been watching the wrong convention.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/512474-foxs-chris-wallace-lauds-michelle-obama-convention-speech-really-flayed-sliced

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Likability is KEY in politics, very rarely does a less liked candidate win over a more liked one, regardless of ideology. And from many moderates I have talked to, they like her even though they do not agree with her on everything.

And you do not win your primary 75-18 against a well funding moderate challenger without appealing to moderates, even in a more progressive district such as hers.

Skill matters as well. She is a far better messenger and has other talents that are superior to Bernie Sanders. She has the ability to win over moderates, which most progressives do not have. As much as I love Ilhan Omar (ANOTHER snub at this convention), her primary, while great for her in that seat, shows her limitations with moderates, for example.

AOC has managed to win over moderates like Howard Dean (who knows well about political strategy).

Eh I'm a moderate and don't really care about AOC.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 texasgoldrush

@tenaka2 said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/512474-foxs-chris-wallace-lauds-michelle-obama-convention-speech-really-flayed-sliced

Michelle Obama =/= the entire convention.

And it doesn't make up for mistakes like this

Remember, Michelle Obama made a wonderful lauded speech in 2016 as well, Dems lost.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tenaka2

Well regardless Fox news were impressed by it, and if even for admit it then it must have been good.

I will go with Fox on this one :)

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By texasgoldrush

@tenaka2 said:

Well regardless Fox news were impressed by it, and if even for admit it then it must have been good.

I will go with Fox on this one :)

But once again, one speech does not make the convention, and not much was gained from Michelle Obama's speech, unlike her husband's in 2004, or Warren's in 2012.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@tenaka2 said:

Michelle Obama =/= the entire convention.

And it doesn't make up for mistakes like this

Remember, Michelle Obama made a wonderful lauded speech in 2016 as well, Dems lost.

People need to stop bitching about every single thing. Man people are entitled in this country.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 texasgoldrush

@thegreatchomp said:

Stop crying Texas, nobody cares. And Michelle got a lot of time.

Until they don't vote because they think you are not fighting for them.

That's the problem with Democrats, their voters don't show up if they think their needs aren't being met.

Michelle Obama has really nothing to do with all this.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tenaka2

So you are saying that republican needs involve an out of control pandemic, a crashed economy, riots in the streets and a president that boosts that he can identify an elephant in a dementia test?

I am glad trump is hitting all your high points.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

@tenaka2 said:

Trump took the wind out of her sails quite quickly by pardoning Susan B. Anthony.

This was easily the worst DNC since 1968.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Trump took the wind out of her sails quite quickly by pardoning Susan B. Anthony.

Uh no. trump displays no respect for women. None. And pardoning Susan B Anthony is a stunt for votes anyone with a couple IQ points can see.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 vl4d_l3nin

@LJS9502_basic said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

Uh no. trump displays no respect for women. None. And pardoning Susan B Anthony is a stunt for votes anyone with a couple IQ points can see.

No. Democrats putting her on coins and bills, naming bridges and monuments after her, dressing her grave up in red, white, and blue whenever Hillary Clinton runs for president...those are political stunts when the woman is still considered a criminal. Her pardon is something long overdue, something that should've happened 100 years ago to the day.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@vl4d_l3nin said:

No. Democrats putting her on coins and bills, naming bridges and monuments after her, dressing her grave up in red, white, and blue whenever Hillary Clinton runs for president...those are political stunts when the woman is still considered a criminal. Her pardon is something long overdue, something that should've happened 100 years ago to the day.

Keep drinking the kool aid. This is a PR stunt for votes in an election year where he is lagging in polls. He treats women terribly.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 vl4d_l3nin

@LJS9502_basic said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

Keep drinking the kool aid. This is a PR stunt for votes in an election year where he is lagging in polls. He treats women terribly.

Anything symbolic any politician does in a democracy is for votes, like everything I mentioned above. Difference is, Trump made an actual change in the eyes of the law. That's just a simple fact🤷‍♀️

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Anything symbolic any politician does in a democracy is for votes, like everything I mentioned above. Difference is, Trump made an actual change in the eyes of the law. That's just a simple fact🤷‍♀️

He made no change in the eyes of the law. The Constitution did that years ago.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

It was a very low energy convention, all they did was talk about trump, I bet trumps name came up 10x more than Biden durring the convention.

I wasnt going to watch it, but my gf who leans left saw it was streaming live on Hulu and wanted me to watch it. Took about 20 minutes untill she said she wanted to change it to frazier lmao, it was pretty borring, tbh conventions are usually borring, but this all digital pre recorded format was extra cringey, especially with news anchors giving commentary between the pre recorded videos, it was really hard to watch. I thought I was going to be the one that wanted to change it, but I ended up being the one having fun watching it lol it was one of those, its so bad its good.

I dont even think Bidens own live feed broke 20k, that shit sucked lol

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zaryia

@jeezers said:

It was a very low energy convention, all they did was talk about trump, I bet trumps name came up 10x more than Biden durring the convention.

I wasnt going to watch it, but my gf who leans left saw it was streaming live on Hulu and wanted me to watch it. Took about 20 minutes untill she said she wanted to change it to frazier lmao, it was pretty borring, tbh conventions are usually borring, but this all digital pre recorded format was extra cringey, especially with news anchors giving commentary between the pre recorded videos, it was really hard to watch. I thought I was going to be the one that wanted to change it, but I ended up being the one having fun watching it lol it was one of those, its so bad its good.

I dont even think Bidens own live feed broke 20k, that shit sucked lol

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@tenaka2 said:

Cool opinions, but I'll take boring over batshit insane death culty (rip Hermain Caine) level insanity that is GOP/Trump conventions these days.

I wonder how many Q-Anon will be at their next one.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

From what I noticed the DNC seems to be pretty good so far. The convention won't only focus on appealing to the base but trying to unite americans and support biden's vision for the country. That is why you see people like whitman and kasich speaking along with ordinary americans. People like AOC won't get a lot of speaking time as a result.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic

@super600 said:

From what I noticed the DNC seems to be pretty good so far. The convention won't only focus on appealing to the base but trying to unite americans and support biden's vision for the country. That is why you see people like whitman and kasic speaking along with ordinary americans. People like AOC won't get a lot of speaking time as a result.

Which is okay. And yeah, having all inclusive messaging is better than one sided.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 texasgoldrush

@super600 said:

From what I noticed the DNC seems to be pretty good so far. The convention won't only focus on appealing to the base but trying to unite americans and support biden's vision for the country. That is why you see people like whitman and kasic speaking along with ordinary americans. People like AOC won't get a lot of speaking time as a result.

And yet Kasich decides to take shots at AOC, nevermind a CBS poll showing Dems do not want to hear from him. In the play for unity, they alienate their base. They are basically playing for voters that have already decided, one way or another, instead of making sure those that vote Dem actually vote.

Not very many Republicans are going to support Biden and polls show this. Meanwhile the DNC is alienating their base, especially Latinx voters. They need to heed Julian Castro's warning, because they will not win the Sun Belt without them. And the Dems can choke away Senate seat flip opportunities (which they are doing this DNC right now).

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By super600  Moderator

@texasgoldrush: People like Kaisch and Whitman help shore up votes for biden in surburban areas especially in the MW and Sunbelt. States like ohio, texas, georgia, north carolina, arizona, pennsylvaniam wisconsin, michigan and etc are close or will be easy wins for biden this time because of the inroads the democrats have made in the suburban parts of these states. The conventions won't matter anyway since no one is going to change there votes over the dem convention and trump will be obliterated by biden in November.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 texasgoldrush

@super600 said:

@texasgoldrush: People like Kaisch and Whitman help shore up votes for biden in surburban areas especially in the MW and Sunbelt. States like ohio, texas, georgia, north carolina, arizona, pennsylvaniam wisconsin, michigan and etc are close or will be easy wins for biden this time because of the inroads the democrats have made in the suburban parts of these states. The conventions won't matter anyway since no one is going to change there votes over the dem convention and trump will be obliterated by biden in November.

However, once again, you cannot achieve this by alienating core supporters of the party, or ignore the clear left ward shift, or ignoring minorities especially a fast growing Latinx populace.

And suburban voters are voting Dem right now, not because of Biden or what the Dems are doing, but because they do not like Trump. And really, I would avoid saying Biden will obliterate Trump, as candidates in the past have come back from greater deficits than what Trump is facing, and if conditions improve in October for example, Trump could be back in the race.

Watch_My_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Watch_My_6
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts

Noooooo - the fact that her and Bernie got any airtime at all is the disaster.

The messaging and intent of the whole conference was off. Bernie was probably the most direct and seemed as if he had literally taken over Biden's mind - as if he was an evil sorcerer or something. Then you have Kasich (who has been pretty much exiled from the Republican party) saying that Biden is this strong guy who would never fall into the "hard left" category.

I understand these conventions are meant to show unity and having both extremes there is probably a good thing, but you have two VERY different sides pulling at the rope.

That rope is a very fragile Biden.

And no one has any clue what he actually believes in.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

@Watch_My_6 said:

Noooooo - the fact that her and Bernie got any airtime at all is the disaster.

The messaging and intent of the whole conference was off. Bernie was probably the most direct and seemed as if he had literally taken over Biden's mind - as if he was an evil sorcerer or something. Then you have Kasich (who has been pretty much exiled from the Republican party) saying that Biden is this strong guy who would never fall into the "hard left" category.

I understand these conventions are meant to show unity and having both extremes there is probably a good thing, but you have two VERY different sides pulling at the rope.

That rope is a very fragile Biden.

Maybe you should pay attention then..........

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By super600  Moderator

@texasgoldrush:

Trump is not going to pull off what Truman pulled off in 1948. He’s going to lose by 8 or more points in November. His approvals are horrible for someone running for re-election. Even if he ended up losing by 2 points biden he will still lose because biden’s vote is more efficient than Hilary’s. Biden doesn’t care what people say about him and the dems on the internet. He only cares about the American people who are clamouring for a return to normal and an end of trump’s divisive rhetoric and mismanagement of the White House.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Watch_My_6 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Maybe you should pay attention then..........

Drive-by posting.

Typical traaaaaaaash from the same poster.

And in the next thread "stop deflecting".

Lmao.

It's not my fault you don't pay attention. Your post was garbage. As usual.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Trump 2020 landslide, hes atleast winning 40 states

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 texasgoldrush

@super600 said:

@texasgoldrush:

Trump is not going to pull off what Truman pulled off in 1948. He’s going to lose by 8 or more points in November. His approvals are horrible for someone running for re-election. Even if he ended up losing by 2 points biden he will still lose because biden’s vote is more efficient than Hilary’s. Biden doesn’t care what people say about him and the dems on the internet. He only cares about the American people who are clamouring for a return to normal and an end of trump’s divisive rhetoric and mismanagement of the White House.

Truman's deficit and approval ratings were actually worse than Trump's.

And if Biden wins by only 2, he would lose because the tipping point state is more Republican than the national vote.

And how can Biden lose? Easy, he runs a terrible campaign that allows Trump to reduce him to his level while the coronavirus cases come down and the economy shows signs of rebound. This is why betting markets are hesitant of over favoring Biden.

And if Biden wants to ignore the progressive wing after he wins, then he can end up like Jimmy Carter.

Watch_My_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Watch_My_6
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

It's not my fault you don't pay attention. Your post was garbage. As usual.

You'll reach 200,000 in no time with all these drive bys.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Zaryia

@jeezers said:

Trump 2020 landslide, hes atleast winning 40 states

Troll.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zaryia
@Watch_My_6 said:

Don't lie.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 texasgoldrush

And now how AOC was used was completely panned. Instead of going to where the talent is and allowing her to have a full speech, they indeed limit her to 60 seconds to nominate Bernie, not even to unite the party. She herself was lauded, how she was used wasn't. The DNC doesn't get it, talent matters.

Remember when Obama spoke at the 2004 DNC despite only running for Senate at the time, and he became President 4 years later? Today's DNC is too dumb to do that.

Having Clinton on was a mistake, and Kerry, Yates, and Schumer were wastes of slots. Once again, the Senate challengers? Why didn't they speak? And that 17 member keynote speech was atrocious. And I am sick of them catering to Dubya Bush Iraq war Republicans.

Ady Barkin stole the show tonight, no doubt about it.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

When all is said and done and Trump obviously is re-elected, the Democrats seriously need to rethink their party. You’d think they would have done that already after ‘16 - but they spent too much time trying to oust a legally elected president.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 super600  Moderator

@texasgoldrush:

Polling was terrible and nonexistent before the modern era of politics. Truman recovered because he ran an aggressive populist campaign against congress while Dewey ran an incredibly safe campaign.

Trump‘s campaign this year feels like a campaign you expect from someone that is going to lose big on Election Day.Trump is running a really negative/ divisive campaign while not really appealing to the people who have become disillusioned with his government. Trump was seen as a fresh face by voters in 2016 and now they want nothing to do with him .

Biden is going to listen to progressives but he will continue to campaign closer to the Center to not scare moderate voters