N64 accesories ... Function and do I need them ?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Perdon me for asking but what kind of accesories a N64 needs ? I accept I'm ignorant about how many consoles work, my first console experience was my very late in the generation PS1 ( the following year I purchased it the PS2 was launched ), and my only experience with a N64 was a few hours a couple of Sundays, now that I'm in this retro trend ( because this gen console have literally no games and I have to spend my money in something ) I see several accesories for the N64 that I have no idea what they are for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

The expansion pack is probably the only one you *need*. It unlocks more content in games like Starcraft 64 and Perfect Dark, and is needed to play games like Majora's mask and Donkey Kong 64.

Several games also use the controller memory pack to save ghost data like Mario Kart 64.

Transfer pack is only for games like Pokemon Stadium and Mario Tennis, where you can share data with gameboy games.

Rumble Pack is probably the least necessary. It provides controller rumble in a handful of games.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

The expansion pack is probably the only one you *need*. It unlocks more content in games like Starcraft 64 and Perfect Dark, and is needed to play games like Majora's mask and Donkey Kong 64.

Several games also use the controller memory pack to save ghost data like Mario Kart 64.

Transfer pack is only for games like Pokemon Stadium and Mario Tennis, where you can share data with gameboy games.

Rumble Pack is probably the least necessary. It provides controller rumble in a handful of games.

Expansion pack is also required for the N64 DD as well, which you most likely won't care about.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Memory pak - Yeah it's required for saving on a lot of games, you'll especially need it for third party titles. Most 1st party save to the cartridge so you could do without one first if you only have Nintendo/Rare games.

Rumble pak - Definitely not required but adds to the fun of some games. If you want rumble of course, get it.

Expansion pak - Required to run some games: Donkey Kong 64, Perfect Dark(very limited functionality without it), Majora's Mask. And it improves the performance of others that take advantage of it like Turok 2 and more.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

THANKS !

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

s-video cable, at least. First party controllers.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

I second that, the expansion pack is a must. Had to order it online, but well worth it. Makes a difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
deactivated-5f56fcab5da82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
Member since 2019 • 118 Posts

Also the Gameshark.