Official show us your current retro setup thread!

• 86 results
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

This video gives a pretty good comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e27bNOlh0gM

A video processor can only do so much, you have to give it a good source to begin with. The XRGB really shines when you can get RGB video from your console (be it SCART or JP21, "component video" isn't the same as RGB btw). It cost me $35 to mod my SNES mini to output RGB and it was very easy to do, certain Genesis models output RGB with no modification (you just need a SCART cable). I would say getting off of composite video should be high priority as the quality is very poor. A cheap scaler likely uses the cheapest signal processing hardware that the engineers could scrounge up, the result is you have a lower quality image that took longer to be processed (which is what causes input lag).

To address input lag concerns on the XRGB (which btw is excellent in that regard, I would like to think at least some of the ridiculous price went towards a fast signal processor),

Does XRGB Mini add input lag ?

Yes, somewhere around 20ms of input lag is added.

Is this in addition to the input lag already present on my display?

Yes, however you should note that without an upscaler like the XRGB Mini, all HDTVs will process 240p and 288p content as interlace. Since deinterlacing typically adds 2 or more frames of input lag, using the Mini will actually reduce input lag on many sets when dealing with 240p/288p sources (particularly newer sets with more sophisticated deinterlacing). Of course, it will also drastically improve the image quality.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB-mini_FRAMEMEISTER#Does_XRGB_Mini_add_input_lag_.3F

If I didn't explain it well enough or if you have other questions feel free to PM me/start a scaler thread to avoid clogging up this thread.

Alex839

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52 Alex839
Member since 2015 • 151 Posts

If some of those collections would be sold you could feed a small country for a month.

I wonder what would my collection look like if i didn`t have a habit to sell my stuff as younger. Fantastic stuff you have guys, really impressive & beautiful.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@alex839 said:

If some of those collections would be sold you could feed a small country for a month.

I wonder what would my collection look like if i didn`t have a habit to sell my stuff as younger. Fantastic stuff you have guys, really impressive & beautiful.

lol thanks.

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts

I guess I had posted mine in another thread, so I'm putting it here...for official purposes and whatever (if you're new to this forum, post yours up, too and keep this thread alive)!

This is my guest room the first apartment I've had that HAS a second bedroom. I spend a lot of time in here gaming, working out and eating dinner while watching Netflix. This has got to be my favorite room in the entire apartment!

I'll have to dig my Game Gear out of one of my "memory" boxes someday, too. Sadly, I haven't found it to be worth it yet. Still, I'm super grateful for my parents for getting it for my birthday all those years ago!

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By achilles614

@zyxe Nice setup, looks cozy.

I've only slightly changed my setup recently. Will be going through a decent video HW update soonish though (almost fully rid of RF & composite sources) and might add a line doubler to my collection.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

Newest addition to my retro setup(havent posted console stuff yet anyways) is my home built bartop arcade. I finished everything about a week ago. Just waiting for a cable to make the LED buttons light up. Loving it so far. Was a real fun project.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

I've finally got around to updating my shelving for gens 6 7 & 8, all of my PS2, GameCube, Xbox, Dreamcast, PS3, Wii, WiiU, X360, PS4 and X1 games in one spot. Unfortunately now that I have moved everything over I only have room to add about 20-40 more games total. :\

This is the final result... I'll post a full game room update after Christmas once I've unwrapped all the gifts I get, sure to be plenty of additions to the collection.

MANd0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MANd0n
Member since 2014 • 187 Posts

The TV is new. It's a 32 inch Sony Triniton WEGA model KV-32FS210

I knew Triniton's were the best and I've been looking for one for over a year but I had NO idea how great this one actually would be, from the viewing distance. With the huge screen and built in surround sound, it's like playing retro games in a movie theater.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@mand0n: Nice, yeah they look great but they are so damn heavy !

MANd0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 MANd0n
Member since 2014 • 187 Posts

@raugutcon said:

@mand0n: Nice, yeah they look great but they are so damn heavy !

Understatement. x.x

It wasn't too bad moving it to my space but you definitely need two people to do it.. and a dolly, preferably.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 raugutcon

@mand0n: Mine broke down and started to do crazy things so I pulled it down from it´s stand to take it to the repair shop, dang, it was heavy and tricky but I managed to do it, the catch was when I tried to lift it from the floor, son of a gun ! it became an unmovable object which left me wondering how I was able to lift it from the floor to place it in the stand in the first place ? ...... well, I was several years younger back then when I placed it in that stand. Had to call the repair shop and have them lift it up from the floor and take it to repair, cost me 20 bucks more but what the hell, 20 bucks or a hernia, I chose 20 bucks.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 suicidesn0wman

@n64dd: I remembered our brief convo in here about Doshin 2 on the 64DD, wasn't sure if you would be interested but I figured I'd share this with you incase you were.

Found a copy of Doshin 2 on ebay for $440, probably the best price I've seen in a long time, out of my current price range though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyoujin-no-Doshin-2-Nintendo-64DD-Japan-/231525740908?hash=item35e802716c:g:XWoAAOSwv0tVI4DW

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 N64DD

@suicidesn0wman said:

@n64dd: I remembered our brief convo in here about Doshin 2 on the 64DD, wasn't sure if you would be interested but I figured I'd share this with you incase you were.

Found a copy of Doshin 2 on ebay for $440, probably the best price I've seen in a long time, out of my current price range though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyoujin-no-Doshin-2-Nintendo-64DD-Japan-/231525740908?hash=item35e802716c:g:XWoAAOSwv0tVI4DW

Wow, I might bite on that!

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By suicidesn0wman

@n64dd: How about $417

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyoujin-no-Doshin-2-Nintendo-64DD-Japan-/281655340172?hash=item4193f76c8c:g:7wYAAOSwymxVI4CD

I'd probably bite if I get a raise when I get my yearly review soon, but I've had my eye on other items, like a super system 3 card for the tg-cd, a turbo duo, and/or neo geo aes.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By achilles614

Moved to a new apartment, has a 2nd room which I'm using for a combo game room/lab/ferret play room. (@raugutcon ever treat any ferrets? (pretty sure you mentioned being a vet))

First pic is my main console setup. Most systems are setup to use their best video output. Component cables on GC and Xbox, SCART for SNES and Genesis, N64 has ultraHDMI installed, NES has Hi Def NES and blinking light win installed. My scart consoles feed into an XRGB-mini upscaler for 1080p output. I'm using a GC to N64 controller adapter so I can use my Hori pad to play some Kirby Crystal Shards. I take my retro gaming seriously :)

Second pic is my PC gaming setup. PC has a 2600k, 32GB ram, and a GTX 1080. On the side is my sony PVM CRT (which needs a table), I used to use that primarily for NES and N64 but now it's just a test TV for my scart hardware projects.

Third pic is my gameboy torture chamber :D The GBAs are for a GBA-HDMI/SCART converter kit (last two pics, GBA on CRT) I'm making so that people can build consolized GBAs. In the back left is a SCART to HDMI converter/upscaler I've been working on.

My bigger Sony trinitron CRT is in the closet on a TV cart with a NES (NESRGB installed) and PS1 (SCART) under it.

Bonus ferret pics

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 raugutcon

@achilles614: I am a Vet but I don´t treat ferrets, in practical terms, 95% of my practice are dogs.

Nice setup BTW.

Avatar image for craigfowler1966
CraigFowler1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 CraigFowler1966
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

My current retro gaming setup includes the following systems:

Atari VCS (Original Owner)

Atari 7800 (Awaiting power supply)

Commodore Vic 20 (Donated to me by a colleague)

Commodore 64 (Original owner)

Microsoft XBOX

Nintendo NES

Nintendo SNES

Nintendo N64

Nintendo Game Cube

Nintendo Wii

Sega Genesis

Sony Playstation

Sony PS2

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 N64DD

@craigfowler1966 said:

My current retro gaming setup includes the following systems:

Atari VCS (Original Owner)

Atari 7800 (Awaiting power supply)

Commodore Vic 20 (Donated to me by a colleague)

Commodore 64 (Original owner)

Microsoft XBOX

Nintendo NES

Nintendo SNES

Nintendo N64

Nintendo Game Cube

Nintendo Wii

Sega Genesis

Sony Playstation

Sony PS2

Pics or didn't happen.

Avatar image for craigfowler1966
CraigFowler1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By CraigFowler1966
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

Your logic is not logical! Pic! Did happen!!

@n64dd:

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 N64DD

@craigfowler1966 said:

Your logic is not logical! Pic! Did happen!!

@n64dd:

good man!

HockeyMike34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By HockeyMike34
Member since 2017 • 4 Posts

I've currently got my Sega Genesis/CD/32X, Saturn & Dreamcast hooked up a 27" Sharp Aquos 4:3 EDTV LCD. All my systems are hooked up to the TV by component cable via RGB SCART using the shineybow SB-2840 component video converter. It looks great. The colors are incredibly vibrant.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 N64DD

@hockeymike34 said:

I've currently got my Sega Genesis/CD/32X, Saturn & Dreamcast hooked up a 27" Sharp Aquos 4:3 EDTV LCD. All my systems are hooked up to the TV by component cable via RGB SCART using the shineybow SB-2840 component video converter. It looks great. The colors are incredibly vibrant.

Pics!

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 N64DD

@hockeymike34 said:

@n64dd:

Big Sega guy eh?

HockeyMike34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 HockeyMike34

@n64dd: you could say that. I have a psone, Xbox and a GameCube as well.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 suicidesn0wman

Re-posting this here since this is the official thread.

Here's an update on how this has changed over the past 2 years.

Grand total is 82 game consoles and 3844 games plus a few more that I haven't tracked yet stacked on my desk.

As of right now, I am missing only 23 of the OG Xbox games published in the US. Of those 23 I currently have 10 on order and I am waiting for them to arrive in the mail.

For a more detailed list of all that I own currently, check out my inventory on VGCollect.

https://vgcollect.com/xsuicidesn0wmanx

Took the doors off the closet so you could see more of whats in there. Currently working on obtaining boxes for any console I don't have CIB.
Took the doors off the closet so you could see more of whats in there. Currently working on obtaining boxes for any console I don't have CIB.
Loose cartridges and manuals in the bins on the left. Big Box PC Games on the shelves with CIB handhelds at the very top. Dreamcast, PS1, PSOne, PS2, PS2 Slim, launch PS3, launch PS4, Pioneer LaserActive, Sega Saturn and Panasonic 3DO FZ-1 hooked up to the TV. Sexy website on the TV too...
Loose cartridges and manuals in the bins on the left. Big Box PC Games on the shelves with CIB handhelds at the very top. Dreamcast, PS1, PSOne, PS2, PS2 Slim, launch PS3, launch PS4, Pioneer LaserActive, Sega Saturn and Panasonic 3DO FZ-1 hooked up to the TV. Sexy website on the TV too...
Still running dual TVs. OG Xbox, Xbox 360 w/HD DVD, Halo Ed Xbox One, Retron 5, Wii, and WiiU hooked up to the right side TV. Some gaming swag pinned to the wall.
Still running dual TVs. OG Xbox, Xbox 360 w/HD DVD, Halo Ed Xbox One, Retron 5, Wii, and WiiU hooked up to the right side TV. Some gaming swag pinned to the wall.
Hiding behind the Angry Kratos poster are my Wii, WiiU, Boxed 7800, Odyssey 2, BBC Micro and Intellivision games.
Hiding behind the Angry Kratos poster are my Wii, WiiU, Boxed 7800, Odyssey 2, BBC Micro and Intellivision games.
Roughly 835 of the 864 games released in the US on the OG Xbox. Xbox One games at the top with Special Edition games & controllers at the very top.
Roughly 835 of the 864 games released in the US on the OG Xbox. Xbox One games at the top with Special Edition games & controllers at the very top.
My desktop with some games waiting to be added to the inventory. PC games on the spiral rack to the right with a Virtual Boy on top.
My desktop with some games waiting to be added to the inventory. PC games on the spiral rack to the right with a Virtual Boy on top.
Xbox 360, PSP, PSVita, PS3 and PS4 games.
Xbox 360, PSP, PSVita, PS3 and PS4 games.
Take note of the Kirby Pillow in the top left, Nintendo fans go nuts for this kind of crap. Turns out this is some kind of store promotional display from the original Kirby game that sells on Ebay for $1000. Had to take screenshots for proof.
Take note of the Kirby Pillow in the top left, Nintendo fans go nuts for this kind of crap. Turns out this is some kind of store promotional display from the original Kirby game that sells on Ebay for $1000. Had to take screenshots for proof.
NES & SNES games.
NES & SNES games.
CD-i and 3DO games on the left, Turbo Grafx 16 and Memorex VIS games on the right.
CD-i and 3DO games on the left, Turbo Grafx 16 and Memorex VIS games on the right.
PS1 Longbox and CDs plus PS2 games. Also has my PS1 & Saturn accessories for playing imports & dupes on US hardware.
PS1 Longbox and CDs plus PS2 games. Also has my PS1 & Saturn accessories for playing imports & dupes on US hardware.
Gameboy, GBColor, GBAdvance, DS and 3DS games on top. Game Gear and Game.com below that. N-Gage, WonderSwan, WS Color and some SNES/N64 Manuals on the 3rd shelf. Boxed NES, SNES and N64 games on the shelves below that.
Gameboy, GBColor, GBAdvance, DS and 3DS games on top. Game Gear and Game.com below that. N-Gage, WonderSwan, WS Color and some SNES/N64 Manuals on the 3rd shelf. Boxed NES, SNES and N64 games on the shelves below that.
Sega Master System, Sega Genesis and Sega 32X Games.
Sega Master System, Sega Genesis and Sega 32X Games.
More Genesis, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, and a few Sega Pico games barely visible at the bottom of the pic.
More Genesis, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, and a few Sega Pico games barely visible at the bottom of the pic.
pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2946 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: lookin' good. Nice display.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#81 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

@pmanden: Thanks. I've added and changed some things around since I took those pics, but it's essentially the same setup.

bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#82  Edited By bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts

This was my setup circa 2006. All linked up to a AVI switcher and sweet Samsung tube TV.

HockeyMike34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By HockeyMike34

@bgres077: awesome setup. It looks like you’ve come a long way over the years. It’s a hell of a collection. I wish I had a fraction of your games.

HockeyMike34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 HockeyMike34

Update- Now I’ve got my Sega Genesis/CD/32X, Saturn and Dreamcast hooked up to a Sharp Aquos 4:3 EDTV LCD. All my systems are hooked up to the TV at 480p resolution with the DVDO i-scan pro line doubler. It’s being fed a component signal using the shineybow SB-2840 RGB SCART to component video converter via a Hama 100 scart switch.

I also hooked up a nice pioneer surround sound receiver and some Sony bookshelf speakers and subwoofer. It’s a little overkill but, it’s my man cave and the wife can’t hear it when she’s upstairs. The little mini-fridge is the icing on the cake. I try my best to keep it stocked with beer.

Avatar image for SexPantherPanda
SexPantherPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By SexPantherPanda
Member since 2008 • 120 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/retro-gaming-909394552/my-video-game-collection-33207742/

Here’s mine

General_Lee45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87 General_Lee45
Member since 2004 • 556 Posts

This is MY retro gaming setup from left to right

IBM 300PL 6862-S3U Pentium III 550Mhz, 384MB Ram, S3 3d Trio Integrated Graphics, 10GB IDE HDD, Windows ME

IBM NetVista MT-M 8303-NUE Pentium 4 2.66Ghz, 2GB DDR1 PC2100 266Mhz Ram, 60GB IDE HDD, Windows XP Professional SP3

Macintosh Classic 4MB Ram, 20MB SCSI HDD

Macintosh Classic II 10MB Ram, 50MB SCSI HDD

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#88 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

This is the gaming setup for Coolyfett's Nintendo\PlayStation mini. 5.1 receiver by PyleUSA, speakers by Fisher, 32 in TV by Vizio. The gaming system has about 60 games installed on it. Currently playing Megaman X, Twisted Metal 2 & Zelda Link to the Past.

JENNY951227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 JENNY951227
Member since 2022 • 2 Posts

Amazing. I want

Zaheer16607

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Zaheer16607
Member since 2022 • 1 Posts

minecraft gaming videos that you must watch.

videos link