Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@hartfordwhalersfan:

Depends on your favorite games. Genesis had some sweet titles like Comix Zone, Altered Beast, Golden Axe 1, 2 and 3, Contra Hard Corps, Streets of Rage 2 and 3, Phantasy Star 2, RiStar and not to mention all those sweet Sonic games.

Then SNES with Mario, Super Metroid, Star Fox, Zelda Link to the Past, Primal Rage, Donkey Kong Country, Super Castlevania, Castlevania Dracula X, Mega Man 9, Mega Man X1, X2, X3, Super Turrican 1 and 2, Contra 3, Killer Instinct, Yoshi's Island, Final Fight 1, 2, 3, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Super Mario RPG.

It's soooo hard to choose!!! ?

Well, I pick SNES because that's what I grew up with but if I could, I take them both because their exclusives are too good to pass up.

The only thing that sucked about Genesis is that it was weaker than SNES, Genesis had a weaker sound card, lower resolution but it did have that "boost processing" that Sega showed off alot with Sonic games. 3rd party stuff ran faster on Genesis but the sound quality sucked and the picture quality did too.

So if you loved 3rd party games like Street Fighter 2, Earthworm Jim 1 and 2, Mortal Kombat and all that; the SNES was the better way to go. Better sound card, better resolution but slower processor.

Avatar image for hartfordwhalersfan
HartfordWhalersFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By HartfordWhalersFan
Member since 2016 • 15 Posts

"boost processing"

Blast Processing

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@hartfordwhalersfan:

Is that what they called it? I forgot.

Avatar image for hartfordwhalersfan
HartfordWhalersFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HartfordWhalersFan
Member since 2016 • 15 Posts

@killered3 said:

@hartfordwhalersfan:

Is that what they called it? I forgot.

Yes

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Both were among the greatest consoles of all time, but the SNES was definitely better.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

Why choose? It's no longer 1990.

I'll have to give it to the SNES though. But the Mega Drive / Genesis was Sega's best console and one of the best consoles of all time.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

I generally prefer the library of the Mega Drive and honestly,regardless of the quality of the sound chips,I like the way it sounds way better when compared to the Snes,the muffled sound and lack of punch on more upbeat tracks of so many snes games turns me off quite a bit.

The big advantage of the snes over the mega drive were the jrpg´s,and back then it was a genre I didnt care about at all,the few exceptions were the Phantasy Star series,Shining Force series and Terranigma. In most other genres the mega drive was loaded and I generally prefer what was available there.

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

SNES for sure. It has a huge catalog of great JRPGs. Games like Chrono Trigger and Terranigma are still some of the best JRPGs period.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56282 Posts

SNES was my first ever console when my parents bought it for me many years ago. I love the system but my Dad also got me a Sega Genesis play with and my 2 sisters love the Genesis more so then the SNES.

Now when Sega enter the console market, that was the true console war, not like what we have today, it was a fierce battle between Nintendo vs Sega and a good war we had back then. Granted, I was kinda too young to understand it all but one things for sure, I didn't like picking a side and I always kept it real cause I love those systems both. Sonic games was the most fun game I played on it.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

I like the SNES, but there's a reason why I call the Genesis the G.O.A.T. It just has far more games that I love, so it isn't a close call for me.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Arach666 said:

I generally prefer the library of the Mega Drive and honestly,regardless of the quality of the sound chips,I like the way it sounds way better when compared to the Snes,the muffled sound and lack of punch on more upbeat tracks of so many snes games turns me off quite a bit.

The big advantage of the snes over the mega drive were the jrpg´s,and back then it was a genre I didnt care about at all,the few exceptions were the Phantasy Star series,Shining Force series and Terranigma. In most other genres the mega drive was loaded and I generally prefer what was available there.

Pretty much this, although I did love a few key SNES titles - Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle, Mega Man X, Super Mario World, etc. I'll go with Genesis, but SNES is one of the best consoles of all times

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Arach666

@xantufrog said:

but SNES is one of the best consoles of all times

Yeah I suppose I can see that,back then even though I played a significant number of the best snes games I never truly got into the system,my most played game on the snes is probably Super Pang lol,wich is a pretty good port tho still not quite up there with the arcade version.

Avatar image for thecouchpotater
TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheCouchPotater
Member since 2015 • 239 Posts

I have more nostalgia for early Genesis (89-92ish) than I do for SNES, but the SNES library has probably aged a little bit better overall.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

@Arach666 said:
@xantufrog said:

Yeah I suppose I can see that,back then even though I played a significant number of the best snes games I never truly got into the system,my most played game on the snes is probably Super Pang lol,wich is a pretty good port tho still not quite up there with the arcade version.

Yeah, without a doubt one of the best 2-player games for the SNES.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arach666

@doubutsuteki said:
@Arach666 said:
@xantufrog said:

Yeah, without a doubt one of the best 2-player games for the SNES.

Sure was,though I´m pretty sure I ended up playing even more single player than multi,still great even at solo.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56282 Posts

@Arach666 said:
@xantufrog said:

Back then before Genesis, SNES didn't really have that much competition when all the major developers were just making games for one system at that time before Sega came into the gaming industries and not only that NES also revolutionize gaming from the gaming crash and Nintendo is known the savior at that time as well which is why SNES is of course the best console in terms of graphics that it wield.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Arach666

@davillain- said:
@Arach666 said:
@xantufrog said:

Back then before Genesis, SNES didn't really have that much competition when all the major developers were just making games for one system at that time before Sega came into the gaming industries and not only that NES also revolutionize gaming from the gaming crash and Nintendo is known the savior at that time as well which is why SNES is of course the best console in terms of graphics that it wield.

Yeah I´m familiar with all that stuff,though that only fits the US market,in Europe(and Japan as well I guess) none of that was felt whatsoever,I only learned that such thing happened like,in the early 2000´s I think.

Nintendo was never very popular here while sega was,though home computers like the C64,Spectrum,Atari ST and the Amiga were the most popular gaming platforms at that time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

Both were excellent systems to own.

But I lean more towards the GENESIS.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

@doubutsuteki said:

Why choose? It's no longer 1990.

I'll have to give it to the SNES though. But the Mega Drive / Genesis was Sega's best console and one of the best consoles of all time.

Bingo. There's simply no need to choose these days. It's possible to buy a SNES and Mega Drive/Genesis relatively cheaply these days (depending on whether or not you buy refurbished/modded/etc...)

I recently dug up my old SNES which needs some TLC...but I'm also thinking of getting a (modded) Mega Drive pretty soon.

For the record, I had both these consoles growing up and I loved both of them. On balance, I think the SNES was slightly better, but the Mega Drive was absolutely fantastic. There are a ton of great games on both platforms. If you can, buy both! :-)

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Genesis/Mega Drive for me,I just like the games available on the system more than what´s on the snes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
deactivated-5f56fcab5da82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
Member since 2019 • 118 Posts

Genesis