Nate Clements contract

This topic is locked from further discussion.

raghavan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 raghavan
Member since 2003 • 3416 Posts

The popular opinion around here is he got 8 years 80 million dollars. That is NOT true. Ill explain.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

"A league source tells us that, as a practical matter, it's a six-year deal worth $7.25 million per year."

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=514187

I don't claim to know how the 49ers and agent Todd France structured Clements' whopping eight-year, $80 million contract. (Those exact numbers won't be available until they're included in league paperwork.) But it doesn't have to count more than $5 million against this year's salary cap.

The prorated signing bonus money can be spread out over six years - not the full eight years of his deal - because of the length of the current CBA. So assuming he received a $22 million signing bonus (and that's a big assumption), the bonus portion would count $3.67 million each year for the next six years. He could be making the minimum salary this year of $595,000. So that means that Clements could conceivably count only $4.26 million against the cap in 2007.

But it's also possible the 49ers wanted to put more money on this year's cap because they have so much space to eat up (and that would leave them in better shape in future years). Therefore, they could have bumped up the first-year salary and/or converted some of that $22 million guaranteed into a roster bonus that counts immediately against this year's cap.

He will earn 7.25 per for the first 6 years. That is 43.5 million dollars. The last 2 years he will see INSANE amounts of money that will pay him 36.5 million. But, the bonus will be paid in full by then. At least, 90 percent of it. So what this means..

This is a 6 year, 43.5 million dollar contract. He will NEVER see year 7 and 8.

SrLynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SrLynx
Member since 2005 • 376 Posts
I nearly feel off my chair when i first read the article on NFL.com since it is the biggest contract ever given to a defensive player. Nevertheless, my hat's off to CB Nate Clements who is entering his 7th year and has tallied a total of 432 (tkl), 1.5 (sacks) and 23 (ints). The 49ers have acquired a complete shutdown corner. 
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts
The guy is good...but not that good. I'd rather have Bailey than him.
PatsFanVince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 PatsFanVince
Member since 2006 • 290 Posts
Theres a lot of other corners I'd take before Clements but still a nice signing by the 49ers either way.  In a nutshell there spending there money wisely I'm sure Spencer and Clements will make a great duo.
KoFoNiO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 KoFoNiO
Member since 2006 • 938 Posts
NFL contracts are never guaranteed unlike NBA and MLB ones. Hes not worth that money anyway, niners just wasted there cap money.