4 months later, what's the final verdict on halo 3?

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

The hype has died down, 2007 is finished and halo 3 has sold over 8 million copies.

But more importantly, how well do YOU think the fight was finished?

personally, halo 3 is in a whole other ballpark from halo 2. i played them back to back, and halo 3 was just far better. On its own, great graphics, great story presentation, good gunplay. overall, after the hype has died, i think its a great game.

what do you think about it?

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts
Halo 3 is AWESOME.
AdolescentDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 AdolescentDon
Member since 2005 • 9081 Posts

Great game, i've had a lot of fun with it both online and offline.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
Overhyped, boring after you finish it, and easily forgetable.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
My verdict on Halo 3 ? FLOP ! The game failed to ignite 360's sales as lemmings hoped plus the ending was lacklustre. The game was not as Epic as Halo from the Xbox days.
whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

Great game, but not the game/shooter of last year.

Halo 3 probably has the best value of any console game, after orange box. It's feature packed and I can see myself playing it for quite a while.

gasmaskman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 gasmaskman
Member since 2005 • 3463 Posts

Overhyped, boring after you finish it, and easily forgetable. PlasmaBeam44

Yup. I can't stop playing CoD4 so I sold my copy lol...

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts
I think its a great game too. I enjoyed Halo 3's campaign more than Halo 2 and i still end up going back to the multiplayer even after not playing it for a while. I just recently got back into halo 3's multiplayer and i'm loving it.
whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 whocares4peace
My verdict on Halo 3 ? FLOP ! The game failed to ignite 360's sales as lemmings hoped plus the ending was lacklustre. The game was not as Epic as Halo from the Xbox days. Swift_Boss_A
Yay for dragging this topic to pits of fanboy hell.
kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kansasdude2009
Member since 2006 • 11802 Posts

the game is great...

and then the last few levels come in

and then the game sucks.

After the covenant level, the game fails to impress me. Mostly the last level. The driving sequence looks like Starfox back on the SNES imo. Looks so bad.

But overall, the game is still great. Just ignore the last few parts of the game. ;)

tiger35010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tiger35010
Member since 2004 • 859 Posts
i never cared about "finishing the fight", i stop caring about the story since they screwed h2 single player up, yep...
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts

It's a derivative shooter. That's what my verdict is. There are many games that are better than Halo 3...even on the Xbox 360.

thageneral3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thageneral3
Member since 2007 • 1929 Posts
Halo 1.6
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Overhyped and overrated. Still fun on co-op but the multiplayer maps were no where close to the quality of Halo 2's map and the singleplayer wasn't good at all.

Deserved an 8.0.

sts9kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sts9kid
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts

the game is great...

and then the game sucks.

After the covenant level, the game fails to impress me. Mostly the last level. The driving sequence still looks like Starfox back on the NES imo. Looks so bad.

But overall, the game is still great. Just ignore the last few parts of the game. ;)

kansasdude2009

Nitpick.

Starfox = SNES

Starfox != NES

sts9kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sts9kid
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts

the game is great...

and then the game sucks.

After the covenant level, the game fails to impress me. Mostly the last level. The driving sequence still looks like Starfox back on the NES imo. Looks so bad.

kansasdude2009

Nitpick.

Starfox = SNES

Starfox != NES

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

Overhyped and overrated. Still fun on co-op but the multiplayer maps were no where close to the quality of Halo 2's map and the singleplayer wasn't good at all.

Deserved an 8.0.

leviathan91
what was bad about the sp?
BigDaddyPOLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BigDaddyPOLO
Member since 2005 • 2251 Posts
Good enough to be better than any other exclusive FPS for consoles.
frankeyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#19 frankeyser
Member since 2004 • 5667 Posts
eh it was ok i stopped playing it after two weeks i think it was. went back to playing gears and then playing cod 4 on the pc.
AIH_PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AIH_PSP
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
Halo 3 is decent, but the gameplay, graphics, and story are not up to most other games. The loading times are also quite bad (at least on my friend's 360).
kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kansasdude2009

Nitpick.

Starfox = SNES

Starfox != NES

sts9kid

sorry, my mistake.

But that is not nitpicky at all. The final parts of a game are meant to build up, but instead it all died after the Covenant level. Its like the developers gave up. They needed a way to kill the flood, and they lazily got there. Did you also notice how all the cinematics after the Covenant level are stilled images? WTF is that!? LAZY! Made me mad.

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
Totally agree, much better then Halo 2, despite what a lot of people say. For multi and single player. Halo 1 still has it's charm and is better single player. I didn't find it boring at all, replayed it multiple times, and I still do multiplayer. Oh and the person who disliked the ending driving sequence, I thought it was great. Especially doing it co-op. Along with that, to the guy who said the maps aren't as good, I don't know where that comes from. They have a much better flow to them and are way better designed, we also are getting map packs faster then we did for Halo 2. 5 months for it's first, 3 months for this first. Along with Forge, I think the maps are much better.
BillGreen68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BillGreen68
Member since 2004 • 12361 Posts
I have mixed feelings, but it's still a 9.5 game. I wish melee, respawns, and maps were better. It's the Halo that sort of falls in the middle. It has a better campaign than Halo 2, but not Halo: CE. It has better multiplayer than CE, but not Halo 2 (At least not yet). Halo 2 has good maps, but I don't know if it would work if they just added them with Halo 3 gameplay.
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

The Readers got it right.

I enjoyed the campaign more than the multiplayer like I thought I would; co-op is a blast; Skulls add a LOT to the campaign experience; multiplayer is fun and it is only getting better as maps are released (the next 3 are being released in the spring); Forge is awesome and Bungie and other sites like Forge Hub have made it very easy to obtain the cream of the crop; the saved media really ads a lot to the game but it's easy to overlook so some people don't utilize it to its fullest or just pass right by it.

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 whocares4peace
[QUOTE="sts9kid"]

Nitpick.

Starfox = SNES

Starfox != NES

kansasdude2009

sorry, my mistake.

But that is not nitpicky at all. The final parts of a game are meant to build up, but instead it all died after the Covenant level. Its like the developers gave up. They needed a way to kill the flood, and they lazily got there. Did you also notice how all the cinematic after the Covenant level are stilled images? WTF is that!? LAZY! Made me mad.

I was actually wondering about that too.

The 1st time i saw that,I thought my 360 was acting up.

shaggyaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shaggyaz
Member since 2004 • 2279 Posts
great game
theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts

Honestly, I'm done with Halo 3. The Live portion of the game only caught my attention for about two weeks. Then I got Call of Duty 4; and for the past month and a half its been all about CoD4. The problem with Halo 3 is that there isn't enough depth to the multiplayer to really keep it going like CoD4. Halo 3's ranks are completely useless; you don't unlock anything and there really isn't too much satisfaction to leveling up once you've reached an officer ranking.

CoD4 is just a much better game, off and online.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bansheesdie
[QUOTE="kansasdude2009"]Did you also notice how all the cinematic after the Covenant level are stilled images? WTF is that!? LAZY! Made me mad.

whocares4peace

But what did you think of the stills? Personally they convayed a very humble image in the midst of all the chaos around you.

AdmiralDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 AdmiralDan
Member since 2003 • 1231 Posts
Still 300k playig online so I would say it is great for the masses (and me).
kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kansasdude2009
[QUOTE="kansasdude2009"][QUOTE="sts9kid"]

Nitpick.

Starfox = SNES

Starfox != NES

whocares4peace

sorry, my mistake.

But that is not nitpicky at all. The final parts of a game are meant to build up, but instead it all died after the Covenant level. Its like the developers gave up. They needed a way to kill the flood, and they lazily got there. Did you also notice how all the cinematic after the Covenant level are stilled images? WTF is that!? LAZY! Made me mad.

I thought that as well, like it didn't load properly. But, as it went on I came to realize that it was just all stilled images.

I laughed really hard at one of them that had smoke but it wasn't moving yet the ship you were in was. It looks pretty bad imo. Just made me angry that a game that was hyped as much as Halo 3 was, was not even finished properly.

MortalDecay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MortalDecay
Member since 2005 • 4298 Posts

Being a diehard lemming, I still gotta say that Halo 3 is over rated garbage.

There are far better FPS out there, like FEAR, COD4, and such. Hell, The Darkness was more enjoyable than Halo 3.

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kansasdude2009
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"][QUOTE="kansasdude2009"]Did you also notice how all the cinematic after the Covenant level are stilled images? WTF is that!? LAZY! Made me mad.

Bansheesdie

But what did you think of the stills? Personally they convayed a very humble image in the midst of all the chaos around you.

I thought that they were ok... I suppose. But like I said above. Why have smoke in your image if it isn't going to do anything?

XD

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

I only played its single player campaign and found it frustrating when it wasn't boring, but my roommate loves its multiplayer. It's not my cup of tea (I like COD4 more), but there's no doubt about its longevity.

Overrated? Yes, I'd say it is, but few games aren't nowadays.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#34 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Win. Halo 3 = Win. It's too bad more people can't appreciate the subtle nuances that make it so great.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

Final verdict = meh. I honestly believe that other than CoD4 (a multiplat), consoles have yet to pull out a shooter that can match Rainbow Six: Vegas (another multiplat), both online and offline. R6V was disappointing for the PC because of a shoddy port job and some dumbing down of complex features from previous R6 games, but seen purely as a console shooter which have different standards, it's tough to top it.

For Halo 3, I think the graphics that so many hate on are fine (even impressive at times) and the enemies are cool. My main issues with it are that the overall gunplay is weak as hell and the level design is completely unimaginative, and annoying to navigate through sometimes (a couple of those levels near the end of the campaign were god-awful).

It's a huge issue when both gunplay and level design are lacking. It's fine if it's just one of the two, and the other one makes up for it. For example, F.E.A.R. had poor level design but its gunplay is basically unmatched, so it was fine. And then Half-Life 2, which has weak gunplay but generally excellent and memorable level design. Halo 3 doesn't do either well.

Halo 3 is just boring to play, and that's honestly how I feel. It doesn't offer anything that other FPSs don't do a lot better, except co-op. I literally had a lot more fun going back through saved films and watching recorded videos in various angles and speeds than actually playing the game. That's the truth. And Halo 3 multiplayer with friends is fun, but multiplayer with pretty much anyone else isn't. I miss the R6V community. That had some mature gamers.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

I enjoyed the campaign more than the multiplayer like I thought I would; co-op is a blast; Skulls add a LOT to the campaign experience; multiplayer is fun and it is only getting better as maps are released (the next 3 are being released in the spring); Forge is awesome and Bungie and other sites like Forge Hub have made it very easy to obtain the cream of the crop; the saved media really ads a lot to the game but it's easy to overlook so some people don't utilize it to its fullest or just pass right by it.

Bansheesdie

Those awards are filled with inconsistencies, Best PC game Crysis, Best 360 game Halo 3, Best PS3 game CoD4. But the game of the year is CoD4? Even though CoD4 is also on PC and 360, but it didn't win the award for those platforms? It doesn't make any sense. lol

On the topic of Halo 3.. I found it to be decent. Played it for around 10 hours at a friends' house when he rented it, and none of us really enjoyed it for very long. None of us would have enjoyed it at all if it wasn't for the Co-op. That was the only redeeming quality of the game.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bansheesdie

The Live portion of the game only caught my attention for about two weeks. theafiguy

Possibly because you only looked into the Matchmaking? How much co-op time did you invest, how much effort did you put into making that experience better by finding skulls? What about Forge, did you spend any time in that or did you utilize maps your friends, other players, or Bungie had made?

Halo 3 has a LOT of multiplayer, yes even more than CoD4.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts
I think its a great game too. I enjoyed Halo 3's campaign more than Halo 2 and i still end up going back to the multiplayer even after not playing it for a while. I just recently got back into halo 3's multiplayer and i'm loving it. sirk1264
That pretty much sums it up for me.
whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 whocares4peace
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"][QUOTE="kansasdude2009"]Did you also notice how all the cinematic after the Covenant level are stilled images? WTF is that!? LAZY! Made me mad.

Bansheesdie

But it makes no sense to use normal cut scenes through 2/3rds of the game and then switch to static images at the end.

Just a poor design choice,imo.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bansheesdie

Those awards are filled with inconsistencies, Best PC game Crysis, Best 360 game Halo 3, Best PS3 game CoD4. But the game of the year is CoD4? Even though CoD4 is also on PC and 360, but it didn't win the award for those platforms? It doesn't make any sense. lol DragonfireXZ95

More people voted Crysis PC GOTY than CoD4, more people voted Halo 3 360 GOTY than CoD4, and more people voted CoD4 GOTY than any other game. What's the problem?

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kansasdude2009
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="whocares4peace"][QUOTE="kansasdude2009"]Did you also notice how all the cinematic after the Covenant level are stilled images? WTF is that!? LAZY! Made me mad.

whocares4peace

But it makes no sense to use normal cut scenes through 2/3rds of the game and then switch to static images at the end.

if it even was a design choice. Makes more sense that they just ran out of time or something. If anything... it was a poor decision.

*shakes head*

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bansheesdie

whocares4peace

OK, I understand and to each his own. I personally enjoyed them. Convayed more of the 'the world waits while the Master Chief acts' type of feeling that was presented in Combat Evolved. In my oppinon of course.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]Those awards are filled with inconsistencies, Best PC game Crysis, Best 360 game Halo 3, Best PS3 game CoD4. But the game of the year is CoD4? Even though CoD4 is also on PC and 360, but it didn't win the award for those platforms? It doesn't make any sense. lol Bansheesdie

More people voted Crysis PC GOTY than CoD4, more people voted Halo 3 360 GOTY than CoD4, and more people voted CoD4 GOTY than any other game. What's the problem?

The only reason that happened is because everyone who voted had not played all the games. A lot of PS3 owners for instance only played CoD4. A lot of 360 owners probably only played Halo 3 and CoD4. A lot of PC owners that could play Crysis most likely played CoD4 and Halo 3 however.

EDIT: Also being biased is a big issue.

So in other words, there is no way to actually make the voting fair. So, meh, it happens.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

DragonfireXZ95

Those awards are filled with inconsistencies, Best PC game Crysis, Best 360 game Halo 3, Best PS3 game CoD4. But the game of the year is CoD4? Even though CoD4 is also on PC and 360, but it didn't win the award for those platforms? It doesn't make any sense. lol

On the topic of Halo 3.. I found it to be decent. Played it for around 10 hours at a friends' house when he rented it, and none of us really enjoyed it for very long.

CoD4 is ridiculously popular (though undeserving of it) and is a multiplat. Crysis and Halo 3 are exclusives. Halo 3 on one platform may be almost as popular as CoD4 on 3, but it wasn't quite enough. As for Crysis.... sold 1-2 Million. CoD4 sold 7-8 Million.

I also think the lemmings who voted Halo 3 for 360 GOTY but not for Overall GOTY actually voted Halo 3 to avoid the shame of the winner being a multiplat. Cows voted CoD4 for PS3 GOTY because it's quite frankly better than anything they have in their opinion.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DragonfireXZ95
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

aliblabla2007

On the topic of Halo 3.. I found it to be decent. Played it for around 10 hours at a friends' house when he rented it, and none of us really enjoyed it for very long.

CoD4 is ridiculously popular (though undeserving of it) and is a multiplat. Crysis and Halo 3 are exclusives. Halo 3 on one platform may be almost as popular as CoD4 on 3, but it wasn't quite enough. As for Crysis.... sold 1-2 Million. CoD4 sold 7-8 Million.

I also think the lemmings who voted Halo 3 for 360 GOTY but not for Overall GOTY actually voted Halo 3 to avoid the shame of the winner being a multiplat. Cows voted CoD4 for PS3 GOTY because it's quite frankly better than anything they have in their opinion.

This would also come into play. This is what happens when you let people vote that haven't played all of the games or are biased. ;)

swamprat_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 swamprat_basic
Member since 2002 • 9145 Posts

It perfected the gameplay from Halo: CE and Halo 2. The story wasn't as sharp as the first game, but the levels were better designed. The multiplayer is great, because it is as deep as you want it to be. The options are incredible.

Obviously, some people will prefer other games. Some people have been playing Counter-Strike for ages, and prefer more "realistic" games. But to call Halo 3's multiplayer boring is reflective of the person and not the game.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bansheesdie

A lot of 360 owners probably only played Halo 3 and CoD4. DragonfireXZ95

I stongly doubt that. Hasn't CoD4 sold like 4 million world wide or something like that? Then there are the people like myself who only rented it.

The only reason that happened is because everyone who voted had not played all the games. A lot of PS3 owners for instance only played CoD4. A lot of PC owners that could play Crysis most likely played CoD4 and Halo 3 however.DragonfireXZ95

Everyone played CoD4 though, and from the looks of the Crysis numbers more people played CoD4.

EDIT: Also being biased is a big issue.

So in other words, there is no way to actually make the voting fair. So, meh, it happens.DragonfireXZ95

I'll admit, I was being biased against CoD4, I don't believe it deserve half of what it got (or even one third). Especially discussing the single player. The multiplayer is good, very good; the single player ain't.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
My verdict on Halo 3 ? FLOP ! The game failed to ignite 360's sales as lemmings hoped plus the ending was lacklustre. The game was not as Epic as Halo from the Xbox days. Swift_Boss_A
listen unless you play the game you have no verdict.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] A lot of 360 owners probably only played Halo 3 and CoD4. Bansheesdie

I stongly doubt that. Hasn't CoD4 sold like 4 million world wide or something like that? Then there are the people like myself who only rented it.

The only reason that happened is because everyone who voted had not played all the games. A lot of PS3 owners for instance only played CoD4. A lot of PC owners that could play Crysis most likely played CoD4 and Halo 3 however.DragonfireXZ95

Everyone played CoD4 though, and from the looks of the Crysis numbers more people played CoD4.

Strongly doubt what? I said that a lot of 360 owners probably only played Halo 3 and CoD4 and not Crysis. What is wrong with that statement?

And I said that everyone played CoD4, that's why it won the vote, but not everyone has played Crysis and Halo 3, so that's an unfair opinion because they only played 1 game, or they are biased.

See what I'm getting at here?

I'm saying that if people only own one console like the 360, then they probably only have played CoD4 and Halo 3, and PS3 only owners probably only played CoD4, etc.