According to Bethesda, they will still be independent under Microsoft, operate as before.

• 57 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

https://bethesda.net/en/article/193piE646914YSCGpeYxGC/bethesda-xbox-just-getting-started

As we’ve all shared, the expectation is that Bethesda Softworks and our studios will continue as we have in the past, just with more support and resources than we’ve ever had before. Obviously, Game Pass has been an important initiative for Xbox, and we’ll be working on putting even more of our games into Game Pass than ever before. Beyond that? Stay tuned, we’re just getting started together.

Sounds like to me Bethesda games may not actually be exclusive if this is the case. After all, Microsoft is all about dat money. Look at what they did with Minecraft. It's one of the most successful games out there and is available on every system. Thoughts, SW? Do you really think Bethesda games will be completely exclusive to Microsoft systems or maybe just timed exclusivity?

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 644 Posts

Not sure about that, but am happy to play them on PC.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

None of my concern, I dont buy bethesda game on release due to the huge amount of dlc they gonna release so a wait and see approach is the best approach.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10556 Posts

tbh was hoping bethesda game studios would get a kick up the arse after a lacklustre last gen

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9839 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Goodness, people need to make their minds up. One day they’re “M$…All about dat money”, the next they’re running Xbox at a loss since 2004 just to spite Sony.
As long as those games come to Gamepass, I honestly don’t care if they’re exclusive or not - everyone should be able to play good games.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Will probably depend on the game. I can see them keeping ES and Fallout as multiplatform as that is an established IP and making it exclusive would be seen as a shitty move.

But new IP like Starfield I can see them keeping for themselves.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2966 Posts

I believe that all Bethseda games will be available on all platforms, but only through Gamepass. It is up to Sony and Nintendo if they will accept these conditions.

As for Bethseda, I wouldn't mind working for Microsoft if I were them. Much better than working for EA.

Avatar image for deactivated-60cb3701bc83b
deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#8 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b
Member since 2018 • 501 Posts

They're exclusive, deal with it.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7718 Posts

TC's denial is pretty strong

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

I'm on the side that doesn't care as long as they come to Game Pass. I'm all in favour of them releasing those games on PlayStation even, it literally wouldn't change anything about me enjoying a game.

But this "news" about them being somewhat independent it's known since day 0.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Wishful thinking. If the others allow GamePass on their systems then yeah Beth will be there. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@pmanden said:

I believe that all Bethseda games will be available on all platforms, but only through Gamepass. It is up to Sony and Nintendo if they will accept these conditions.

As for Bethseda, I wouldn't mind working for Microsoft if I were them. Much better than working for EA.

This, kinda blackmail, but there you go. Although. cannot see Sony or Nintendo submitting. Bethesda will have to make do with DLC and micro transactions to cover losses.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#13  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17910 Posts

As great as it would be for Bethesda games to be available on PS5, I doubt that will be the case. This was a strategic buyout and not just about money. I expect the games to be exclusive and timed exclusive at the minimum unless Sony starts allowing Game Pass on their platform.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

The only game of theirs in development that I'd buy for PS5 is Indiana Jones. Regardless of what someone implies on the internet, I'm still extremely skeptical that Indiana Jones will release on PS5 at all. Best case scenario I see is a PS5 version delayed by a year.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BassMan

@Telekill said:

The only game of theirs in development that I'd buy for PS5 is Indiana Jones. Regardless of what someone implies on the internet, I'm still extremely skeptical that Indiana Jones will release on PS5 at all. Best case scenario I see is a PS5 version delayed by a year.

The Indiana Jones game has a better chance being on PS5 as it is a licensed IP and there may be an agreement with LucasFilm/Disney for it to be released on PS5.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34775 Posts

They'll probably operate as before, exclusively on Xbox and PC.

Either way, I don't care beyond that it would be funny on SW if Sony fans didn't get the games. I'd personally never play Bethesda games on consoles, lol. That'd be horrible.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm pretty sure they just mean MS isn't telling them how to make the games they decide to make. Which... may not be a good thing 😜

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17458 Posts

It's like Phil and Bethesda never hosted that podcast.

Pure wishful thinking.

Games will be exclusive to PC and Xbox.

Bethesda will operate independently, meaning host their own shows and events, decide what games get made and when, etc.. Minecraft and it's sequels and spinoff and mmos will be on PS5

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sakaiXx

@BassMan said:
@Telekill said:

The Indiana Jones game has a better chance being on PS5 as it is a licensed IP and there may be an agreement with LucasFilm/Disney for it to be released on PS5.

Sony could somehow make spidey exclusive to PS, why not Indiana Jones for Xbox. Phil did publicly reasoned why xbox payed for Rise of Tomb Raider exclusivity, cause they don't have Uncharted on Xbox. Apparently Phil is a big fan of Uncharted.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic

@sealionact said:

@SolidGame_basic: Goodness, people need to make their minds up. One day they’re “M$…All about dat money”, the next they’re running Xbox at a loss since 2004 just to spite Sony.

As long as those games come to Gamepass, I honestly don’t care if they’re exclusive or not - everyone should be able to play good games.

Yea, that's what I'm thinking. They'll put the games on Gamepass but they will still be available as multiplat. Sounds like a smart strategic move to me.

@navyguy21 said:

Pure wishful thinking.

Bethesda will operate independently, meaning host their own shows and events, decide what games get made and when, etc.. Minecraft and it's sequels and spinoff and mmos will be on PS5

Minecraft makes more money than all of the Bethesda games. Why don't they make it exclusive then?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8510 Posts

TC/Cows: I don't care about Bethesda or their games

Also TC/Cows: Every couple of weeks asking SW if Bethesda games will be exclusive or not with huge implication/hope that it won't be

As I said before, Bethesda acquisition is already paying dividends in terms of SW lulz.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70402 Posts

Geeesh, first you hate on Bethesda games and now you are hoping Bethesda games come to PS5. This Bethesda purchase really have Sony fannies bothered.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

I think that just means they'll continue to as they have done without any pressure from MS. MS isn't giving them support and resources for nothing. MS won't tell them what to make and when.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gym_Lion

Bethesda usually put on a big show at E3 but this year it is part of MS's showcase so I doubt the PS5 will be mentioned at all.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidGame_basic

@girlusocrazy said:

@SolidGame_basic: They've already talked about this:

some new titles in the future [...] will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players.

Link

It sounds like MS will have a say and they're probably just talking about autonomy in the development process:

As we shared previously, it’s vitally important that Bethesda continues making games the way it always has.

Some new titles.. ok, sounds intentionally vague to me. Why not just say what they are?

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gym_Lion

@SolidGame_basic said:
@girlusocrazy said:

@SolidGame_basic: They've already talked about this:

some new titles in the future [...] will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players.

Link

It sounds like MS will have a say and they're probably just talking about autonomy in the development process:

As we shared previously, it’s vitally important that Bethesda continues making games the way it always has.

Some new titles.. ok, sounds intentionally vague to me. Why not just say what they are?

Give it 3 weeks and I'm sure they will.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11270 Posts

Microsoft didn't pay 7.5 billion for them to be "independent". That's horseshit. They'll operate the same way they did as a publisher, but Phil, Matt Booty and co. call the shots when they want something.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

After fall out 4 ans their last online fall out game, I really hope stArfield stays on the xbsex. That game will be ugly and buggy as hell.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44547 Posts

Yep, they actually said all this quite awhile ago, very shortly after the whole acquisition was first announced if I believe correctly. The reason that Minecraft wasn’t just suddenly made exclusive was because the game had already been on other platforms for a very long time. Not the same as making newly made games exclusive to certain platforms.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BassMan

@sakaixx: Sony owns the rights to Spidey when it comes to movies and games. So, they can do whatever they want. MS has to license Indiana Jones from LucasFilm/Disney. So, they have to agree on terms for possible exclusivity. This is unlikely as licensing a popular IP from other media usually reaches as wide an audience as possible. Exclusivity does not lineup with that agenda.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

Lol...Ensemble Studios thought that too..lmao

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17458 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@sealionact said:

Yea, that's what I'm thinking. They'll put the games on Gamepass but they will still be available as multiplat. Sounds like a smart strategic move to me.

@navyguy21 said:

Pure wishful thinking.

Minecraft makes more money than all of the Bethesda games. Why don't they make it exclusive then?

Minecraft was everywhere before MS purchased the studio and is the kind of game that thrives with a community of gamers, both young and old, coming back for years. Same with MMOs. I'm sure you know this.

What I find frustrating (and hilarious at the same time) is how you guys just ignore realty and believe what you want.

MS finally realized that they could never compete with Sony on brand name and exclusive titles and therefore would never sell more units. They adapted their strategy to console and PC and chose to provide content that gamers can consume over time like Netflix.

This model means that the normal way of needing to sell x amount of units to turn a profit is irrelevant. MS doesn't need to put games on PS5 to recoup their losses just as Netflix doesn't have to put their original shows on other streaming services.

That exclusive content is what draws people to Netflix. Not all shows or movies make money on Netflix but they draw enough monthly subscribers to subsidize it and allows them to take more creative freedom with stuff like The Witcher and Orange is the New Black.

You can't compare MSs model to the rest of the industry and assume they need other platforms. They lose money by going multiplatfoem, not the other way around

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sakaiXx

@BassMan said:

@sakaixx: Sony owns the rights to Spidey when it comes to movies and games. So, they can do whatever they want. MS has to license Indiana Jones from LucasFilm/Disney. So, they have to agree on terms for possible exclusivity. This is unlikely as licensing a popular IP from other media usually reaches as wide an audience as possible. Exclusivity does not lineup with that agenda.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is on Switch and features Spidey.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@navyguy21 said:

Minecraft was everywhere before MS purchased the studio and is the kind of game that thrives with a community of gamers, both young and old, coming back for years. Same with MMOs. I'm sure you know this.

What I find frustrating (and hilarious at the same time) is how you guys just ignore realty and believe what you want.

MS finally realized that they could never compete with Sony on brand name and exclusive titles and therefore would never sell more units. They adapted their strategy to console and PC and chose to provide content that gamers can consume over time like Netflix.

This model means that the normal way of needing to sell x amount of units to turn a profit is irrelevant. MS doesn't need to put games on PS5 to recoup their losses just as Netflix doesn't have to put their original shows on other streaming services.

That exclusive content is what draws people to Netflix. Not all shows or movies make money on Netflix but they draw enough monthly subscribers to subsidize it and allows them to take more creative freedom with stuff like The Witcher and Orange is the New Black.

You can't compare MSs model to the rest of the industry and assume they need other platforms. They lose money by going multiplatfoem, not the other way around

Just to add to this Xbox Studio Games are now on Xbox hardware. PC and mobile. This idea that PS is needed is missing the picture.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44547 Posts

Microsoft probably has no problem putting those games on PS5, just as soon as Sony allows Microsoft to put Game Pass on there. 😅

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Bullshit

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Dude...

They are independent insofar as MS isn't going to tell them what kind of games to make or what features those games have (unlike the EA/Bioware relationship).

There is not way Bethesda is going to make games for the Playstation platform without Microsoft's blessing - which they most likely will not do.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8411 Posts

I think it was already made clear that the acquisition of Bethesda was about bringing exclusive games and content to platforms where Game Pass is available.. right now, that list only includes Xbox consoles, PC, and cloud streaming..

Also, using Minecraft as an example simply doesn't work.. Minecraft is essentially a persistent platform that already existed everywhere.. People already have money invested into Minecraft.. To remove that game from players would basically be the same as removing PlayStation support for Elder Scrolls Online after those players have already sunk time/money into to those accounts.. this is the kind of "legacy" content Phil talked about continuing support for..

now Minecraft Dungeons would be a better example of them releasing a new game as a mulitplat but it's still "Minecraft".. Minecraft is a juggernaut and anything related to that is likely going to be everywhere in order to limit confusion for consumers (especially since it's aimed at kids)..

all that said, I'm personally just glad I'll be able to play those games day-one in Game Pass regardless.. But as an Xbox fan looking through the lens of System Wars, after years of the "Xbox has no games" narrative, Xbox should definitely make all those games exclusive since "muh esckloosivez" is all anyone talks about..

I mean, Sony would make a ton more money if they made Spiderman a multiplat for both Xbox and PC.. Why does this "all about dat money" argument only get weighed at Microsoft?.. Sony keeps Spiderman exclusive (for now) because it will drive people to their platform.. Microsoft making Elder Scrolls exclusive will drive people to the Xbox platform and (most importantly) drive Game Pass subs.. what's the difference?..

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

playstation beggers

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13105 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

https://bethesda.net/en/article/193piE646914YSCGpeYxGC/bethesda-xbox-just-getting-started

As we’ve all shared, the expectation is that Bethesda Softworks and our studios will continue as we have in the past, just with more support and resources than we’ve ever had before. Obviously, Game Pass has been an important initiative for Xbox, and we’ll be working on putting even more of our games into Game Pass than ever before. Beyond that? Stay tuned, we’re just getting started together.

Sounds like to me Bethesda games may not actually be exclusive if this is the case. After all, Microsoft is all about dat money. Look at what they did with Minecraft. It's one of the most successful games out there and is available on every system. Thoughts, SW? Do you really think Bethesda games will be completely exclusive to Microsoft systems or maybe just timed exclusivity?

Already confirmed to be exclusive games.

Phil Spencer says future Bethesda games will be exclusive to "platforms where Game Pass exists"

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-11-phil-spencer-says-future-bethesda-games-will-be-exclusive-to-platforms-where-game-pass-exists

Head of Xbox Phil Spencer noted that there are certain contractual obligations for titles to still come to other platforms, undoubtedly referring to Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo, which are timed PS5 console exclusives.

Outside of these contractual exceptions, Spencer offered a statement that seems pretty clear moving ahead."...if you're an Xbox customer, the thing I want you to know is this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists, and that's our goal, that's why we're doing this, that's the root of this partnership that we're building - and the creative capability we'll be able to bring to market for Xbox customers is going to be the best it's ever been for Xbox after we're done here." Spencer said.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts

Seems more a statement about their creative freedom, not about whether their games are coming to PS5.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

Oof. The meltdowns are gonna be epic!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@Archangel3371 said:

Microsoft probably has no problem putting those games on PS5, just as soon as Sony allows Microsoft to put Game Pass on there. 😅

Oof. 🤭

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11704 Posts

If PS allows GP I'm sure MS would bring the games over. Shouldn't matter though since PS only gamers have made it clear they don't like or care about Bethesda and Bethesda subsidiary games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@fedor said:

If PS allows GP I'm sure MS would bring the games over. Shouldn't matter though since PS only gamers have made it clear they don't like or care about Bethesda and Bethesda subsidiary games.

That is what I thought, but now we have this thread. 😅

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9839 Posts

@wonderwinner: Who do you think is going to have a meltdown? Genuinely curious.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts

Cows seem to be holding out too much hope other future Bethesda games will end up on PS5. No doubt this will evolve to some amusing port begging in coming years.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

PlayStation is stronger than Bethesda this means nothing.