Are you happy with all of the remasters/remakes?

• 52 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

We’ve been getting remasters/remakes of our favorite games - Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil, Dead Space, Metroid Prime, Demon’s Souls etc. I think it’s been great that publishers are keeping these games alive and keeping them up to modern standards. Another reason why I like them is because some games I didn’t get to play back then and remastering them makes it easier and better to play. Of course, that also depends on if they are done right. What do you think, SW? Are you happy with all of the remasters/remakes?

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16042 Posts

Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 are not my cup of tea, but I do like the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2 remakes. It breathes new life into games that I used to love. Frankly, I think the remakes are even better than the original THPS 1 + 2 games. Ninja Gaiden Black is another example of a remake done right. It added more difficulty settings and included some DLC that had launched before hand.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34775 Posts

I take it as a sign of developers having no ideas left. So no.

FredSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 FredSC
Member since 2023 • 57 Posts

@Litchie: Damn, you raised an interesting point now...

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

I'm generally not fussed either way.

If the remasters keep old great games going on newer systems then great, especially if the old game can't be purchased any more and the system it runs on is discontinued (or if it was released for really old PCs and is very difficult to get running on newer versions of windows). I.E. NITNENDO....XENOBLADE X....WHERE!?

As for remakes: They can be interesting too. It can be cool to take the basic premise of an old game but basically build an entirely new game around it. Especially true for really old games where he vision was bigger than the technology available at the time.

Still...it would also be nice if the AAA sector did something new and interesting too and NOT screw it up. A shame Forspoken tanked :(.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

Yes, I have been blessed playing these Remasters & Remake games lately: (And remember everyone, Remasters & Remakes are NOT the same. Apples/Oranges)

• RE2 Remake
  • Dead Space Remake
  • TLOU Remastered PS4 (soon to be for the PC version Remake)
  • Halo Master Chief Collection Remastered
  • Mass Effect: Legendary Edition (Remastered just for ME1)
  • Dead Island Definitive Edition (Remastered)
  • Spyro: Reignited Trilogy (Remake)
  • DOOM 3 BFG Edition (Remastered)
  • Bioshock & Bioshock 2 Remastered
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#7 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Remasters and remakes are probably the best thing about current gen games. Companies can cash in on our nostalgia and we don't have to play all the new, repetitive garbage with a shit-ton of pay walls. And our nostalgia gets a modern coat of paint! It's win-win, as far as I'm concerned.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@Litchie said:

That sounds harsh coming from you Litchie. Not knocking down what you are saying, of course, you are right in ways but there are games that do benefit from a remastered & Remake if the changes are indeed worthy. Remasters & Remakes are kinda fillers as making new IP games takes time these days.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nepu7supastar7

@davillain:

The definition of a remaster and a remake are too muddy thanks to marketing tactics. You got companies like Naughty Dog calling Last of Us Part One a remake despite the fact that it's the exact same thing as before with better graphics. If Halo MC Collection came from ND, they would've called Halo 2 Anniversary a remake too just to hype up the fans.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22978 Posts
@Litchie said:

Bingo... Remakes scream, we want your money and/or we are creatively void. I do think there's an argument to be made on some games over long periods of time and no exposure in the modern market, but there are very few games that I'd prioritize a remake on before a new ip.

This latest Metroid remake was a sensible remake. The original isn't readily available like dead space or last of us is and the control scheme has developed in meaningful ways since prime came out. It's also 20 years old. That is a meaningful remake especially if Nintendo is planning to bring people back into the prime universe going forward.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70403 Posts

@Litchie said:

This

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: its the same story but the gameplay and level layout is bit different from original. Its perfectly fine to skip as it does not offer anything new storywise but the remake is still worth the time for the gameplay and visual improvements.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

Personally I dont really like remasters but I enjoy remakes a lot.

Games like FF7R devs try to reimagine or add new stories that complements the original. Really enhance my love for both original and remake.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nepu7supastar7

@sakaixx:

I know and I'll probably get it somewhere down the line once I get a ps5. I just don't like the word remake to be used to describe it. Because it makes it sound like it offers a completely new experience.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 723 Posts

I am happy with the MCC and Goldeneye. And Microsoft gives you remakes for free with smart delivery. Thank you MS!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39706 Posts

I am fine with very old titles getting a full remake. But i am never OK with remasters. Remasters are nothing else but a cash grab, and i am glad we aren't seeing them this much in the last 2 or so years.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44547 Posts

Yep, I sure am. There’s been a lot of great ones done.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

There needs to be more remasters/remakes cause honestly how many gamers still own consoles from the snes-xbox 360 gens?, the answer is probably no one.

Do we need a remaster of games like The Witcher 3? no but damn I'd love a remake or remaster of the first Witcher game and bring it up to The Witcher 3 standards.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Where are the Deus Ex(original) and Morrowind remakes....

Nvidia even used Morrowind as a RTX remake in their last showcase... but no one ever did it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58508 Posts

Remasters? No. Remasters are all but pointless on PC imo. Some are needed for ancient games but for the most part a.) games are near-infinitely backwards compatible on PC, and b.) community mods, editing, etc. make them playable, and c.) remasters just are not all that impressive to me when done formally by developers.

Remakes? I like remakes, especially if they get the "Black Mesa" treatment and the developer takes some creative liberties. I wish there were more, tbh.

@zaryia said:

Where are the Deus Ex(original) and Morrowind remakes....

Nvidia even used Morrowind as a RTX remake in their last showcase... but no one ever did it.

Right? Give me my Deus Ex remake in Unreal Engine 5 (keep the old soundtrack though!).

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58508 Posts
@TheEroica said:
@Litchie said:

Bingo... Remakes scream, we want your money and/or we are creatively void. I do think there's an argument to be made on some games over long periods of time and no exposure in the modern market, but there are very few games that I'd prioritize a remake on before a new ip.

This latest Metroid remake was a sensible remake. The original isn't readily available like dead space or last of us is and the control scheme has developed in meaningful ways since prime came out. It's also 20 years old. That is a meaningful remake especially if Nintendo is planning to bring people back into the prime universe going forward.

For the most part, yes, but I think some remakes can be done for truly exceptional games as a tribute. It's like when a band covers the song of another band, and put's a unique spin on it or modernizes it or does the song in a different genre.

Sometimes it can even be better than the original, i.e. Johnny Cash covering NIN's "Hurt" or Black Math Horseman covering Nirvana's "All Apologies". Though we would never admit it because loyalists would scream at us.

Life-is-a-Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Life-is-a-Game
Member since 2005 • 962 Posts

I'm all in for remakes done properly .. games like RE2, FF7, Dead Space, RE4 etc that are done properly and really try to make the old games feel fresh and new are awesome ..

Some remasters are awesome too like Shadow of the Colossus, Wind Waker HD, Metroid Prime, but some of them are bad and not worth buying .. so it depends on the remaster honestly ..

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2490 Posts
@Litchie said:

It's more that they are too afraid of being inventive and designing intelligently, their budgets too big and their shareholders too entwined not to make a standard, safe game that ticks off all the AAA boxes. Playing Yuppie Psycho (2018) right now. Miss when the studios made game stories and exploration that unfolded like that.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts

I was probably less happy about the Dead Space remake when it was announced wishing instead they'd just do a remaster collection. But I was pleasantly surprised by how excellent of a job they did with the remake so I hope they do one for Dead Space 2 next.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 777 Posts

I'm still waiting for Dragon Age: Origins remake

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#26 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2604 Posts

I'm fine with them, a lot of games can't be played unless you have the original game, the console and even a TV from that time.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts

I'm totally fine with it, as long as actual care was put into it. Metroid Prime remaster basically sets the standards on what a remaster should be imo and Resident Evil Remake (also 2) set the bar for Remake. There are many games showing their age that could greatly benefit from a more modern touch up like many N64/PS1 gen games. Many old classics can use the love. If it's an obvious cash grab, they can keep it...

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

@Litchie said:

Yeah man, TLOU 1, Remastered 2 turbo hyper edition. Definitely seems like that.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts

I think there’s a tasteful way to do it and a cash grab way to do it.

TLOU 1 Remake - No one asked for it, no one wanted it, and it was disgusting they charged $70 for it.

Metroid Prime Remastered - People have been begging for this and at $40, what a steal.

Two perfect examples. The RE games are mostly perfect. I can see the argument that RE3 was shortchanged, I remember complaints about that, but these RE games deserve the remakes and are a quality product. Hopefully SH2 remake meets that standard and if we really do get a MGS1 remake like rumors are saying, that it’s amazing as well. Games that people actually want remade, not cash grabs no one asked for.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2966 Posts

@miquella: An Origins remake would be cool, but it would probably result in a game with much better graphics but dumbed down, action-oriented combat. Let us see what Dragon Age 4 has to offer first.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Obviously cows are what with TLOU remaster of a remaster of a remastered remaster.

The rest of us not so much,if the original still holds up then play that if you want a bit nostalgia,dead space being a prime example

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

The Master Chief Collection and Mass Effect Legendary Edition are awesome but the rest, eh, not so much. :P

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16604 Posts

Some games are great. The MCC collection is fantastic, metroid prime remastered is fantastic, same with gears of war. The thing with MS is they don't charge money for their remasters. Nintendo charged money, but it wasn't too bad at $40. Sony was despicable, charging $70 for a remastered remaster of a remaster. Even more disgusting was all the reviewers, including GS who praised Sony for this disgusting behavior.

Even SE remade ff7, it was done really well, a complete revamp.

I personally don't like dead space remake for that reason. Even though it's a quality game, all they did was bump up the graphics, yet still charging full price. The great thing about EA games is they tank in price shortly. So I'm expecting it to go on sale in 2 to 3 months or even be on gamepass.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1281 Posts

I'm fine with old remakes as long as it changes things up. The target is more of the newer gamers anyway cos it's hard to market an old looking game.

Remasters are kinda eh, but that's because I play on PC, and it's easy to just mod/max the graphics of even older games, something you can't do easily on a console.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16604 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: MS and Xbox are saints. They never or rarely charge for a remaster/remake. It just quietly gets updated and even put on gamepass service. No fan fare, just another day. No GS re reviews praising them and shilling $70 for the same game we all played.

Xbox for the gamers. PS for the shareholders.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1273 Posts

Console games that are stuck at 30 fps.... like many PS3 exclusives, I'd welcome them getting a 60 fps release if it's at a low price. There's some remasters that in their current state shouldn't exist like the Ezio Trilogy and Arkham collection.

Ground up visual remakes are generally more appealing. The Spyro and Crash ones were great, basically a best case scenario.

FF7 and RE2 are fine. Dead Space was unnecessary, wouldn't pay anywhere near full price for it, hopefully it leads to a new entry. Tlou .... lol

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: No. I am not happy with Hollywood doing the same. Put that effort into new games.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#38  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

I am, despite the fact that i'm not particularly interested in any! I love the crazy amount of options we have today.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5294 Posts

@Litchie said:

How many people in the world have the talent for creating original ideas? Not that many, as only a few have originality that can change the world. The rest of us are content with what we have.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12381 Posts

@Litchie said:

I don't think that's true.

It does help keep folks afloat considering it's extremely risky and expensive to create new IP but, there are valid reasons to remake / remaster games. Tons of video games are locked away on legacy hardware and/or are extremely outdated in terms of visual fidelity, gameplay mechanics etc.

Ex. RE2 is one of the most memorable games on the PS1 generation. You really think a game from 1998 would satisfy today's market? The only people who would remotely be interested in playing the '98 version would be folks who played it back then.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#41 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

If people like em' they like them.

If I don't, can always not play and just ignore them.

It's "whatever".

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25064 Posts

Remakes. Im fine.

Remastered. nope

Remakes are best way to revisit originals.

Remake improved RE2, Dead space. Remake is the reason we are getting System shock remake which is more of overhaul of 1994 game.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I've not got much out of them to be honest. Black Mesa and RE2 are the only one I really liked, since they were proper remakes and felt like new games (and I didn't play the old RE2).

I was looking forward to the Mafia remake, since the original is one of my favourite games and is quite old, but they screwed it up so badly by turning it into a cover shooter and changing the voice actors for the worse and just generally not capturing the spirit of the original that I only played a couple hours.

There are a few old games that I think would benefit from remakes if done well, but overall I'd much rather devs put their time and resources into new games.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3506 Posts

I'm fine with it. Money grabbing remakes like Sony's TLoU or superb works like Metroid Prime, they can be a great way for new players to play classics.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

No, I think it's a waste of resources, teams that could be producing new properties are instead producing remakes of games that are still very much playable.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22978 Posts

@mtron32 said:

No, I think it's a waste of resources, teams that could be producing new properties are instead producing remakes of games that are still very much playable.

100 percent.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nepu7supastar7

@TheEroica:

What about games that aged badly in terms of graphics from before the ps3/360 era like Silent Hill or Metal Gear Solid? Surely you can't expect new players who SH-curious to play the old ps2 games and enjoy them just the same as we did, can you? Not all games are timeless, especially those that relied on resembling real life to deliver a certain level of impact on the player.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

With the way remakes are being done, yes, I am quite happy with them. Fixing the archaic gameplay of old classics(that have aged by a large margin) and improving the graphics by a ton is always a win in my book.

The basic remasters? Meh, I could take or leave most of them. What's the point when mods have already done what most of the remaster does? The Mass Effect games, for instance.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Silentchief  Online
Member since 2021 • 7061 Posts

Yes because I enjoy them and in some cases it's my first time experiencing them. The remakes of Shadow of the Clossus, Crisis Core and Dead Space were the first time I played them. The RE4 remake could be GotY and I absolutely loved Demon Souls. FF7 was more of a sequel then a remake.

Yes I would like awesome new IP's but chances are you are going to end up with trash like Forspoken or more free to play garbage.