R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46498 Posts

When the trailer starts I get some Outer Worlds vibes, but as it goes along the gameplay starts to look fantastic.

It reminds me a lot of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, with the kicking and the slicing and the spells.

Any thoughts on this 2024 release?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39449 Posts

Was extremely disappointed by the visuals, art direction and animations. It pretty much failed at everything. Then i was reminded that all the talent from Obsidian left a long time ago, so i ain't surprised that Outer Worlds was as shitty as it was, and their last game is for children.

As is, Avowed look as 7/10 as it gets.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2144 Posts

Game looks like typical Trashpass games.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Too bad you Sony fannies don't have any exclusive WRPGs 😆

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@xhawk27 said:

Too bad you Sony fannies don't have any exclusive WRPGs 😆

The game looks incredibly mediocre. Really is a sequel to Raid Shadow Legends.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34703 Posts

The NPCs, animations and gameplay looks much better than Skyrim, even Starfield. Not sure how Bethesda could get away with NPCs looking like they do in Starfield, but apparently gamers didn't care at all. It's just me who laugh my ass off everytime you speak to somebody.

But I dunno, The Outer Worlds wasn't very good. It was like a mini scaled Fallout. If this is a mini scaled Skyrim, not sure if that's a good thing. I'd totally take a game like Dark Messiah, so I hope it's like that.

Looks pretty fun, hope it's good.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6460 Posts

Geez the cows are quick to post their usual damage control.

As for the game, I won't be buying it because its first person, and I play very few games with that perspective.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16582 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: yes, it's giving me vibes of oblivion but with next gen visuals. This is a good thing.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@hardwenzen said:

Was extremely disappointed by the visuals, art direction and animations. It pretty much failed at everything. Then i was reminded that all the talent from Obsidian left a long time ago, so i ain't surprised that Outer Worlds was as shitty as it was, and their last game is for children.

I saw this article today where Obsidian promised to polish up Avowed's graphics before release. As I'm out of the loop (I don't use the internet) on why there was an issue with its graphics, I decided to give the trailer another go.

What strikes me most of all is how fluid the combat looks, from spells, to its dark messiah inspirations: give it to me. The sooner in 2024 the better, and I'll let the modders clean up the graphics once I'm done gushing over its satisfactory gameplay.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@R4gn4r0k: yes, it's giving me vibes of oblivion but with next gen visuals. This is a good thing.

Oh another great comparison! Have you seen Skyblivion btw, it's nearing release and looks fantastic on every single update.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

I don't really like the art direction. Wasn't impressed with Outer Worlds either which I thought was an alright 7/10. I don't think I'm going to play Avowed but if reviews and impressions are outstanding I might reconsider.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44195 Posts

Looks fantastic and another game that'll be played for the next ten years. Unlike those one and done Phony movie-games. ;o

Poo cows, BS Jive has no games. lol

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k

@johnd13 said:

I don't really like the art direction. Wasn't impressed with Outer Worlds either which I thought was an alright 7/10. I don't think I'm going to play Avowed but if reviews and impressions are outstanding I might reconsider.

How much of Outer Worlds have you played, just to take a gander at what an immersive fps loving guy like yourself thinks about it? :)

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@johnd13 said:

How much of Outer Worlds have you played, just to take a gander at what an immersive fps loving guy like yourself thinks about it? :)

I completed it. Wasn't bad by any stretch. Combat was maybe on the easy side and I found the signature Obsidian writing and dark humor regarding capitalism to be a bit obvious. But my biggest gripe was the art direction/atmosphere - I never felt truly immersed in the world.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3463 Posts

I'm expecting it to be similar to Outer Worlds. A pretty good AA game, with passable but enjoyable combat and an inconsistent art direction. I'll definitely play it.

But I'm disappointed that the game isn't as dark as the reveal hinted.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Why are we comparing the visuals to Skyrim that came out two generations of consoles ago?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 710 Posts

I am interested as it's an spiritual sequel of pillars of eternity. Hopefully it will be good.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Looks dope. I'm cautiously hyped.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k

@Juub1990 said:

Why are we comparing the visuals to Skyrim that came out two generations of consoles ago?

Odd, I though Skyrim released just the other day. It appeared on the "new releases" tab of my local store.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

I forget who but one of the Devs stated that what was shown was not even an Alpha build and that the visuals would improve drastically

Avatar image for clockworkbanana
ClockWorkBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ClockWorkBanana
Member since 2022 • 265 Posts

It looks like shit

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hardwenzen  Online

@regnaston said:
@hardwenzen said:

I forget who but one of the Devs stated that what was shown was not even an Alpha build and that the visuals would improve drastically

Then there's hope. But if that's really the case, why show something this ugly? They even had massive glitches in the trailer, dunno if others have noticed.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7224 Posts

@hardwenzen: Cause no one cares about graphical gimmicks. They just want some fun gameplay.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20148 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Avowed is still in Pre-Alpha. Weird as they usually note that on the trailers and they didn't this time.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n54180/avowed-pre-alpha-development-xbox-reveal

Avowed is still in a pre-alpha state, an Obsidian developer has confirmed while responding to player concerns regarding the Xbox Games Showcase trailer. "Art will be refined" and "lighting will change."

Following theAvowedreveal at the Xbox Games Showcase, some players have voiced their concerns about the quality of the game's graphics. An Obsidian developer has now responded to the "misconceptions," confirming that "the game has not entered Alpha yet."

This game might not look the same when it's ready to be released.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hardwenzen  Online

@Zero_epyon said:
@hardwenzen said:

Avowed is still in Pre-Alpha. Weird as they usually note that on the trailers and they didn't this time.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n54180/avowed-pre-alpha-development-xbox-reveal

Avowed is still in a pre-alpha state, an Obsidian developer has confirmed while responding to player concerns regarding the Xbox Games Showcase trailer. "Art will be refined" and "lighting will change."

Following theAvowedreveal at the Xbox Games Showcase, some players have voiced their concerns about the quality of the game's graphics. An Obsidian developer has now responded to the "misconceptions," confirming that "the game has not entered Alpha yet."

This game might not look the same when it's ready to be released.

Then this game will most likely be ready for release by 2026... minimum.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hardwenzen  Online
@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Cause no one cares about graphical gimmicks. They just want some fun gameplay.

Call visuals gimmick again, and i am taking your LABO castle.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k

@clockworkbanana said:

It looks like shit

Opinion from someone who hasn't played Dark Messiah.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56291 Posts

@johnd13 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@johnd13 said:

I completed it. Wasn't bad by any stretch. Combat was maybe on the easy side and I found the signature Obsidian writing and dark humor regarding capitalism to be a bit obvious. But my biggest gripe was the art direction/atmosphere - I never felt truly immersed in the world.

That's how I feel when I played Outer Worlds myself. Good game but didn't think of truly being immersed in it. As for Avowed, could be good on the final touch but I wasn't all that impressed from what I've seen and even I can say Immortals of Avenum looks more engaging so I'm actually looking forward to trying out Immortals of Avenum.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44365 Posts

Game looks very good. I’m definitely interested in playing it myself. Seems like all these games that Microsoft has had lined up are starting to come together quite nicely.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8876 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I am cautiously excited about it.

I was expecting a different vibe, like more photo-realistic. But, I am willing to give it a shot.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dabear
@hardwenzen said:

the Outer Worlds was awesome, hater. You're just bitter that you aren't going to get anymore Obsidian goodness.

Keep that salt coming.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k

@davillain said:
@johnd13 said:

That's how I feel when I played Outer Worlds myself. Good game but didn't think of truly being immersed in it. As for Avowed, could be good on the final touch but I wasn't all that impressed from what I've seen and even I can say Immortals of Avenum looks more engaging so I'm actually looking forward to trying out Immortals of Avenum.

That's a shame to hear for sure. I get that Outer Worlds feels like "Bethesda on a budget" but that it lacks immersion is a big thing to hold against it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hardwenzen  Online

@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

the Outer Worlds was awesome, hater. You're just bitter that you aren't going to get anymore Obsidian goodness.

Keep that salt coming.

It was a pathetic game, and YES, i have played it, most certainly for longer than you did.

Obsidian haven't made anything worthwhile since New Vegas. The talent is gone, and you need to accept that, dabear.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7224 Posts

@hardwenzen: Obsidian just doesnt focus on graphical gimmicks. The focus on fun gameplay. That why their games sell more than Sony games. Its what gamers want.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Obsidian just doesnt focus on graphical gimmicks. The focus on fun gameplay. That why their games sell more than Sony games. Its what gamers want.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dabear

@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

Keep that salt coming.

It was a pathetic game, and YES, i have played it, most certainly for longer than you did.

Obsidian haven't made anything worthwhile since New Vegas. The talent is gone, and you need to accept that, dabear.

Outer Worlds as a score of 85 on Metacritic, only 3 points below Horizon Forbidden West, which you popped a blood vessel over.

Let's see. Since New Vegas...

• Dungeon Siege III (72 on metacritic)
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth (82 on metacritic)
  • Pillars of Eternity (89 on metacritic)
  • Tyranny (80 on metacritic)
  • Pillars of Eternity II (88 on metacritic)
  • Grounded (82 metacritic)
  • Pentiment (86 metacritic)

IDK, Hardwenzen - looks like you really self-owned yourself.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

Keep that salt coming.

Outer Worlds as a score of 85 on Metacritic, only 3 points below Horizon Forbidden West, which you popped a blood vessel over.

I don't need your scores. Look at Infinite as a good example of a failure across all metrics, but it sits at 87.

Outer World had mega trash writing, pathetic gunplay, bad story, trash exploration, poor/lazy art direction. In fact, that game didn't do anything well. You could tell it was a game made on a Welfare budget and without any talent in charge.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dabear

@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

Keep that salt coming.

I don't need your scores. Look at Infinite as a good example of a failure across all metrics, but it sits at 87.

Outer World had mega trash writing, pathetic gunplay, bad story, trash exploration, poor/lazy art direction. In fact, that game didn't do anything well. You could tell it was a game made on a Welfare budget and without any talent in charge.

Yeah, I'm going to listen to a Sony Pony over every game journalist out there.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen  Online

@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:

Keep that salt coming.

Yeah, I'm going to listen to a Sony Pony over every game journalist out there.

I lost my virginity to GP for this game. It wasn't a good game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#40 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59211 Posts

After playing Skyrim in VR don't really want to play these in flatscreen anymore.

Think most VR bros would agree.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6991 Posts

It looks like Outerworlds with a fantasy skin and I wasn't a fan of Outerworlds. You spend about 60% of the game listening to dialog and it's hard for me to get invested in that when your character is a silent, generic create a character. In addition to that no part of the game was done particularly well. Both the shooting and the melee combat were awful. The animations and character models are even worse.

It's amazing to me that eventhough Obsidian has been bought by a two trillion dollar company the technical aspects of their games don't seem to have improved at all.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

Keep that salt coming.

I'll also mention that Grounded and Pentiment were among my favourite games last year.

I'm not even that big on survival/crafting games, the only other ones i've liked are Subnautica and Valheim. its among the best in that genre imo.

Obsidian have been doing some of their best work in recent years imo (though i'd say New Vegas is still their best)

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hardwenzen  Online

@with_teeth26 said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

Keep that salt coming.

I'll also mention that Grounded and Pentiment were among my favourite games last year.

I'm not even that big on survival/crafting games, the only other ones i've liked are Subnautica and Valheim. its among the best in that genre imo.

Obsidian have been doing some of their best work in recent years imo (though i'd say New Vegas is still their best)

Asscreed has ruined you, bro.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58439 Posts

Looks good, albeit a little bit uninspired. But that's to be expected of open-world action-adventure-RPG games.

@hardwenzen said:

Sorry, is a 7/10 bad? I actually kind of like games in that range. It means they're tailored for specific people, take some risks, etc. 9's and 10's avoid risks, please everyone, and can be stale.

Obsidian has been cranking out great games. Not sure what your issue with Outer Worlds is, that was a great game. Loved how you could finish it in <20 hours, but it was worth at least five replays. Best of both worlds.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hardwenzen  Online

@mrbojangles25: Yes a 7/10 is bad because its Obsidian we're talking about, not some bottom of the barrel developer like 343i. During their New Vegas days, i always considered them to be one of the top devs around.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44634 Posts

I enjoyed Outer Worlds myself, felt like the Obsidian spiritual successor to Fallout series. Perhaps Avowed will have that same appeal with regard to TES. We'll see, but will definitely see for myself when it releases.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3463 Posts

@mrbojangles25: True, it's not unusual for a 6 or a 7 to be amongst my top games of the year. Many times it just means it isn't universally acclaimed, like Alien Isolation which is in my wall of greats. Or Prey.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58439 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

@mrbojangles25: Yes a 7/10 is bad because its Obsidian we're talking about, not some bottom of the barrel developer like 343i. During their New Vegas days, i always considered them to be one of the top devs around.

Obsidian has a rich history of releasing diamonds-in-the-rough games. Especially back in their glory days; games like Alpha Protocol, every bit as good as Mass Effect, and Fallout NV as the best Fallout action-rpg....but they were buggy messes with dated visuals and rough quality.

Additionally, at least a couple of their recent and quite excellent games games have been both "early access" and crowd-funded, both things that tend be disapproved of by AAA aficionados.

Frankly if this scores a 9 or 10 my reaction would be "hmmmm something is fishy here". I hope it scores a 7 or 8. Fly under the radar a bit (but not too much!).

Basically, if it's a fantasy version of Outer Worlds, I would be perfectly OK with that.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 R4gn4r0k

@with_teeth26 said:

I still don't really get what Pentiment is about other than it looks funny to play. What was the hook for you in that game?

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I don't know about you guys but I'm on the side that didn't like The Outer Worlds, and now that they are confirming that they are scaling down the Avowed project from Skyrim level to The Outer Worlds level (they even compared it to KOTOR II) I'm not that exited. Sad to see that Obsidian's best work is still as a dev for hire (New Vegas, KOTOR II, Neverwinter Nights 2), and that their actual games are just small almost indie like games with an acquired taste.