Best stealth game franchise?

• 78 results
TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll Best stealth game franchise? (76 votes)

Splinter Cell 33%
Metal Gear 25%
Hitman 9%
Theif 25%
Assassin's Creed 0%
Tenchu 8%

There's only few stealth games that have had succeeded enough to become a franchise with multiple games. These franchises as of recently are the biggest series in stealth.

Which is the best?

• 
Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#51 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

Most pathetic results of a GS poll ever. Both Thief and Splinter Cell, merely garbage franchises in comparison to the divinity that is Metal Gear.

Comparing Metal Gear to other stealth franchises is like comparing a Rolls Royce to Japanese cars in terms of luxury, comfort and prestige.

Ah, Metal Gear,,, you mean a stealth game where you kill bosses with Rocket Launchers.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#52 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

Most pathetic results of a GS poll ever. Both Thief and Splinter Cell, merely garbage franchises in comparison to the divinity that is Metal Gear.

Comparing Metal Gear to other stealth franchises is like comparing a Rolls Royce to Japanese cars in terms of luxury, comfort and prestige.

Ah, Metal Gear,,, you mean a stealth game where you kill bosses with Rocket Launchers.

Ha touche. Metal Gear really has its charm though. The only way Metal Gear can lose a poll to Splinter Cell and tie with Thief is if you are PURELY judging the games on their stealth mechanics alone. If you include the whole package (gameplay in general, fun factor, replay value, storyline, narrative, cinematics, voice acting etc) even the worst Metal Gear game is > the best SC/thief/Hitman game.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Some faith renewed for Ass Creed at 0%.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

Ha touche. Metal Gear really has its charm though. The only way Metal Gear can lose a poll to Splinter Cell and tie with Thief is if you are PURELY judging the games on their stealth mechanics alone. If you include the whole package (gameplay in general, fun factor, replay value, storyline, narrative, cinematics, voice acting etc) even the worst Metal Gear game is > the best SC/thief/Hitman game.

Yeah, thanks for confirmation that Metal Gear is terrible at Stealth. It's a good Action Stealth game with over the top plot but Stealth gameplay mechanics in Thief are way better. It was ahead of its time. In original MGS, you couldn't even hide bodies. Enemies disappear when you disarm them because PS1 hardware had limitations. Thief was first game to allow you to hide enemy bodies. It was also the first game to use Light/Dark system, that later inspired Splinter Cell as well.

Not to mention different surfaces that make different sounds. No cutscene during gameplay and complete simulation of entire level took immersion to next level. MGS was more mainstream but quality wise Thief was better. Thief 2: Metal Age is still considered as the greatest Stealth game of all time by many. MGS would've won if it didn't force you to confront bosses. That's where it loses.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I don't understand why Metal Gear is considered a "stealth" franchise. The most memorable moments in these games are the big action set pieces and boss fights. The whole context of "solo sneaking mission" is laughable these days. The more recent MGS games do not punish you for getting spotted. It turns into a shooter at that point.

Not knocking the MGS games at all, but comparing them to top Stealth elites like Splinter Cell or Hitman has always been crazy to me. MGS have always been action games, and they always will be.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Stealth games by their very nature are puzzle games so I don't see how that invalidates the pick. The general idea stays the same: don't get spotted, you are physically weaker than your competition, failure usually revolves around getting spotted and being out gunned.

Conviction is trash, and while Blacklist is Conviction done well, it's still missing a variety of moves that Fisher had in Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory. More appealing in the sense that it gave me the options I'd like? Yes, but the same brand of cerebral and tense gameplay that the first 3 games provide (the first one being not so good)? Nah, man. And suck less at Mark of the Ninja, that game is rad.

Conviction is dope. Wtf are you smoking? Its the best 24 video game ever made. Do you hate America?

So would you consider Portal a stealth game? Because that seems a lot like a 3D Gunpoint. There are puzzles and people/robots you have to avoid to reach the end of the level. I wouldn't consider Portal a stealth game though.

My difficulty finishing MOTN had nothing to do with the difficulty of the game. I just got kinda stale for me. I think I just hate pure stealth games now.

That's a ridiculous example and you know it.

And Conviction sucks, get the **** out of here. It is anti-american that Canadian piece of shit.

Why does Conviction suck but Blacklist is somehow okay?

I know blacklist has more options and is more refined, but the core of the action is very similar.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#57 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

Thief.

Because everything else there is stealth-action.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

The original thief games.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

MGS games are badly written, the voice acting is way too over the top, the cutscenes are unnecessarily lengthy and the gameplay is overly simplified, it mixes stiff stealth gameplay with inefficient third person shooter elements.

So yes Thief is better than MGS.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#60 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4585 Posts

MGS gets my vote

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59329 Posts

@ladyblue said:

MGS, there's a reason why its still relevant, unlike the rest.

Call Of Duty is largely why FPS currently remains relevant.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#62 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

You can't top Metal Gear son

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

nuff said

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#64  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts
@Cloud_imperium said:

Not to mention different surfaces that make different sounds. No cutscene during gameplay and complete simulation of entire level took immersion to next level. MGS was more mainstream but quality wise Thief was better.

Different surfaces make different sounds in MGS as well. Even its 8-bit MSX predecessor Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake did that.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Not to mention different surfaces that make different sounds. No cutscene during gameplay and complete simulation of entire level took immersion to next level. MGS was more mainstream but quality wise Thief was better.

Different surfaces make different sounds in MGS as well. Even its 8-bit MSX predecessor Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake did that.

MG2 was on MSX 2.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Kind of strange to see SC taking it as a franchise.

One amazing game. A couple of good games. A bunch of meh games.

The first 3 games were amazing.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

The first Splinter Cell is pretty gross man. Though I had it on PS2 and Gamecube. I'm guessing the Xbox version was the same and if so, then yeah nothing good there.

Pandora Tomorrow was cool. Still a bit of jank in the single player, but made up for it by introducing a really damn cool online mode. Good game.

And then of course Chaos Theory was fucking amazing. Still one of the best stealth games around. Both the single player and the online were just godly.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#68 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@GhoX said:

Pre-2014: Thief > Splinter Cell > Hitman

Post-2014: Splinter Cell > Hitman > Thief

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#69 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Thief*

No other franchise has captured what "stealth" is as well or as in such a deep manner. Well, the first three games in the franchise that is.

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts

tenchu because if i'm going to play like a ninja i might as well be one.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 PurpleMan5000

@ConanTheStoner said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

The first Splinter Cell is pretty gross man. Though I had it on PS2 and Gamecube. I'm guessing the Xbox version was the same and if so, then yeah nothing good there.

Pandora Tomorrow was cool. Still a bit of jank in the single player, but made up for it by introducing a really damn cool online mode. Good game.

And then of course Chaos Theory was fucking amazing. Still one of the best stealth games around. Both the single player and the online were just godly.

The first 2 Splinter Cells only seem poor after playing Chaos Theory. At the time I first played them, they were my favorite stealth games. I've never been able to get into Metal Gear Solid, though (tried 1 and 2). That's always bugged me because I want to like those games. I just can't play them.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ConanTheStoner

@PurpleMan5000 said:

The first 2 Splinter Cells only seem poor after playing Chaos Theory. At the time I first played them, they were my favorite stealth games. I've never been able to get into Metal Gear Solid, though (tried 1 and 2). That's always bugged me because I want to like those games. I just can't play them.

Yeah, MGS is an odd series in so many ways. I'm surprised it got as big as it did. MGSV seems like the first one to have mainstream appeal, but the previous titles have a lot of quirks to get around before you can enjoy them.

And yeah, I can agree that for their time the first two SC games were pretty cool. I never thought the first one was great, but I did appreciate what it was doing. Pandora Tomorrow did seem pretty bad ass at the time though.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 PurpleMan5000

@ConanTheStoner said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

Yeah, MGS is an odd series in so many ways. I'm surprised it got as big as it did. MGSV seems like the first one to have mainstream appeal, but the previous titles have a lot of quirks to get around before you can enjoy them.

And yeah, I can agree that for their time the first two SC games were pretty cool. I never thought the first one was great, but I did appreciate what it was doing. Pandora Tomorrow did seem pretty bad ass at the time though.

One of these days, I'm going to put in Twin Snakes and just make myself play for like 8 hours. I like everything about the game except for the actual playing it part. I think if I could get used to how it plays, I'd enjoy it. It just seems too fast paced for a stealth game or something. I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#74 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Metal Gear is my favorite franchise of the bunch, but when I think "stealth' I think more of what Thief (especially Thief) and Splinter Cell were doing at their peak.

Metal Gear and Hitman are dope, but they are as much action games and playgrounds at times, and Metal Gear has at least always been up front about the whole tactical espionage action thing. Thief and Splinter Cell have a purity to them that I really like. Funny enough all of them had games release on the 360 and PS3, and none of them were as good as Mark of the Ninja or Gunpoint, two 2D games. What a world.

IDK man, Mark of the Ninja was cool but I kind of had to force myself to play it. I dont even remember if I finished it. Gunpoint was really fucking funny but thats more of a puzzle game in my eyes. I thought Blacklist was really fucking fun and a perfect evolution for Splinter Cell.

Stealth games by their very nature are puzzle games so I don't see how that invalidates the pick. The general idea stays the same: don't get spotted, you are physically weaker than your competition, failure usually revolves around getting spotted and being out gunned.

Conviction is trash, and while Blacklist is Conviction done well, it's still missing a variety of moves that Fisher had in Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory. More appealing in the sense that it gave me the options I'd like? Yes, but the same brand of cerebral and tense gameplay that the first 3 games provide (the first one being not so good)? Nah, man. And suck less at Mark of the Ninja, that game is rad.

You're trash!!!!! LOL

I enjoyed Conviction for the action/revenge kinda game it was, but it was certainly no stealth game. Still, I hope DA, Conviction and Blacklist make the X1 BC list.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 cainetao11

@ConanTheStoner said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

You have guessed wrong. That was the Stealth/Action game on Xbox. On PS2 it was fuckin ugly as shit

froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76 froidnite
Member since 2006 • 2294 Posts

As much as I loved the earlier Thief games, I don't like it's setting as much as Splinter Cell games. The earlier Splinter Cell games were some of my favorite gaming experiences; so, I'll go with that.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ConanTheStoner

@cainetao11 said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

You have guessed wrong. That was the Stealth/Action game on Xbox. On PS2 it was fuckin ugly as shit

Oh I'm not talking looks. I'm pretty sure the Gamecube version probably looks just as good as the Xbox version anyways. But yeah, PS2 version looked like ass.

I was just wondering if maybe the Xbox version was a different game. Like the way Double Agent was a different game for gen 6 than gen 7. And apparently the gen 6 version was the much better game.

Because really, unless SC1 on the Xbox was some entirely different experience from the other 2 versions, then it was probably every bit as gross.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By cainetao11

@ConanTheStoner: Oh I get you. I actually preferred the Xbox version of DA to the 360 one and still own both. I liked SC. I still do. I am an easy critic though