BF4 or BF3.5???

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
I have been playing around some in the BF4 open beta and while I might be alone on this one, I just don't see how this game is being heralded as being great. I see no advances from BF3. The hit detect is still sloppy and to be honest the graphics look like re-puked cat puke! Not impressed!!
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

There are many things different from BF3, and the graphics aren't final

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Looks like it will continue to lose to COD. I haven't been impressed since the early reveals.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StrongBlackVine

lostrib

That is lame considering the game releases in less than a month.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

StrongBlackVine

That is lame considering the game releases in less than a month.

The beta is most likely not the newest version that DICE is working with

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Re-puked cat puke? Exaggerate much?

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

The beta is terrible for me but I'll wait for the final product before passing judgement.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

I have been playing around some in the BF4 open beta and while I might be alone on this one, I just don't see how this game is being heralded as being great. I see no advances from BF3. The hit detect is still sloppy and to be honest the graphics look like re-puked cat puke! Not impressed!! ShoTTyMcNaDeS

are you playing the PC beta or 360/PS3 ones?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

No advances from BF3? You mean how they revamped or tweaked nearly every aspect of the game to make it a much better game all together?

What were you expecting, them to reinvent the wheel?

Graphics are fine, net code is actually quite good (turn your network smoothing setting to 0%). Only major issue right now is the stuttering and poor performance a lot of people are having.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I haven't played beta... But every where I keep reading horror stories.

Figures... They waited last min and are doing a rush job. Gonna be beta testing final release for months, just like BF3 with all it's many bugs.

Glad I wont be buying any more BF games. BF3 was my last.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StrongBlackVine

No advances from BF3? You mean how they revamped or tweaked nearly every aspect of the game to make it a much better game all together?

Wasdie

Looks boring. Maps actually seem too big for 64 players, but it is a beta and no one knows what they are doing. Still looks like a cancelled pre-order. I thought they would overtake COD this year, but they failed.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib

Figures... They waited last min and are doing a rush job. Gonna be beta testing final release for months, just like BF3 with all it's many bugs.

Truth_Hurts_U

The issues people have are just performance wise and may be a driver issue

And most likely the beta version is not the most recent version

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wasdie  Moderator

Truth_Hurts_U

To bad you're 100% wrong.

The beta build isn't nearly current, just like the beta build of BF3. When BF3 launched it was fine. Aside from some small issues people had (which happen with every game launch), the performance of the game was fantastic and there were very few issues. Over time the issues all went away and won't even be here in Battlefield 4.

If you didn't like BF3 that is fine, but you're completely wrong with your assumptions about the state of BF4.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

StrongBlackVine

Looks boring. Maps actually seem too big for 64 players, but it is a beta and no one knows what they are doing. Still looks like a cancelled. I thought they would overtake COD this year, but they failed.

You clearly haven't even played it. The game is fine. 

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Wasdie

:lol:

That's what I've been reading. Plus I got 2 friends in beta and they haven't said anything good about it. Though they are mostly radio silent for past 3 days.

Sorry if BF games arn't getting 100% praise. That's life.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Looks boring. Maps actually seem too big for 64 players, but it is a beta and no one knows what they are doing. Still looks like a cancelled. I thought they would overtake COD this year, but they failed.

You clearly haven't even played it. The game is fine. 

I watched a long video of the beta on PC and it was boring.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Truth_Hurts_U

:lol:

That's what I've been reading. Plus I got 2 friends in beta and they haven't said anything good about it. Though they are mostly radio silent for past 3 days.

Sorry if BF games arn't getting 100% praise. That's life.

Well I can confirm there are terrible performance issues (I can't get more than 50 fps and it drops like a rock all of the time and stutters quite frequently), but the game itself is fine. It's an old build of the game and it will be fine on launch just like it was for BF3.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wasdie  Moderator

I watched a long video of the beta on PC and it was boring.

StrongBlackVine

So yeah, you haven't played it and make assumptions about it. You can find it boring but you're making assumptions that are false about the rest of the game.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

From what I've seen, it's BF3 with couple new effects turned on - in terms of just the visuals.

GAMPEPLAY wise, there's a ton of new feaures. I prefer the GAMEPLAY upgrades over the visuals anyway.

BF3 was damn-near perfect visually to begin with. Adding collapsable skyscrapers and massive environmental changes mid-game is a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Day 1 for me!

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Sigh. the graphics are limited in the beta. and its overall a nice upgrade.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wasdie  Moderator

Sigh. the graphics are limited in the beta. and its overall a nice upgrade.MBirdy88

What makes you say that? There was no graphical upgrade from BF3's beta to BF3 launch.

There was actually a downgrade from the alpha to the beta. BF3's highest level of graphics were stripped from the game for some reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Sigh. the graphics are limited in the beta. and its overall a nice upgrade.Wasdie

What makes you say that? There was no graphical upgrade from BF3's beta to BF3 launch.

There was actually a downgrade from the alpha to the beta. BF3's highest level of graphics were stripped from the game for some reason.

Half the settings arn't available, it doesn't even have the proper effects when the building falls, the draw distance is horribly low atm. It doesn't even look as good as BF3 right now. seems pretty obvious to me.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Sigh. the graphics are limited in the beta. and its overall a nice upgrade.MBirdy88

Half the settings arn't available, it doesn't even have the proper effects when the building falls, the draw distance is horribly low atm. It doesn't even look as good as BF3 right now. seems pretty obvious to me.

All of the settings are available. They probably had to remove a lot of the original effects like they did back in BF3. DICE has a habit of being too ambitious with their rendering.

The game isn't going to look magically better than beta when it launches in a few weeks. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

All of the settings are available. They probably had to remove a lot of the original effects like they did back in BF3. DICE has a habit of being too ambitious with their rendering.

The game isn't going to look magically better than beta when it launches in a few weeks. 

I have a feeling that there are textures missing in the skyscraper rubble since everything is just biege

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Seems to be working fine on AMD cards.

Lots of weird glitches.

egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 egger7577
Member since 2004 • 721 Posts

I played the beta for a few rounds yesterday I will say I've noticed a huge difference in a lot of items. For one, the graphics aren't a major step but they are a big improvement. If you don't believe me, go into spectator mode and select free cam and just peruse the map.....(PC version, can't speak for the consoles). The lines are a lot sharper, the colors brighter, the textures much improved, the water looks amazing, etc. The destruction is also freaking amazing btw. It's not at a Crysis 3 level step up but it does look noticeably better. This is also a beta and probably an older build, I imagine the final product will be much improved. Remember the fishing in Baku video; I'm hoping that at least the campaign graphics will run at that level. Multiplayer always has other issues and needs to be tuned down a bit especially with such large maps. Aside from a couple bugs and some occasional lag, I thing most people are being too harsh and judgemental at this point. Just play it and form your own opinion; don't copy and paste everyone else's.

egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 egger7577

I played the beta for a few rounds yesterday I will say I've noticed a huge difference in a lot of items. For one, the graphics aren't a major step but they are a big improvement. If you don't believe me, go into spectator mode and select free cam and just peruse the map.....(PC version, can't speak for the consoles). The lines are a lot sharper, the colors brighter, the textures much improved, the water looks amazing, etc. The destruction is also freaking amazing btw. It's not at a Crysis 3 level step up but it does look noticeably better. This is also a beta and probably an older build, I imagine the final product will be much improved. Remember the fishing in Baku video; I'm hoping that at least the campaign graphics will run at that level. Multiplayer always has other issues and needs to be tuned down a bit especially with such large maps. Aside from a couple bugs and some occasional lag, I thing most people are being too harsh and judgemental at this point. Just play it and form your own opinion; don't copy and paste everyone else's.

egger7577
Also the graphics are where they are because we're still tugging the last generation consoles with this. If this was PC, Xbone and PS4 exclusive I imagine there would be a larger step up.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

BF games are always a buggy, laggy, glitchy mess in Open Beta and the first week or two after release.

EVEN on dedicated servers there's rubber-banding all over the place.

It takes a couple patches and a couple driver updates to iron it all out.

Go back to the weeks of the BF3 launch in the EA/Battlelog forums and look at all the screaming and yelling and demands for refunds. lol

It gets better over time. This is common for all online games. We're paying to beta test whether you admit it or not.

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
Its is what BF3 should have been but couldn't have been due to the restrains of last gen console and building of a new engine
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] Half the settings arn't available, it doesn't even have the proper effects when the building falls, the draw distance is horribly low atm. It doesn't even look as good as BF3 right now. seems pretty obvious to me.lostrib

I have a feeling that there are textures missing in the skyscraper rubble since everything is just biege

That's because a fine layer of dust settled over the whole thing. That's actually how it looks after a building collapses.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

More like Battlefield Bad Company 2.7. Not really much you can do to change a military shooter. They all just turn out to be map packs with updated graphics. Honestly

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FPSfan1985
Its is what BF3 should have been but couldn't have been due to the restrains of last gen console and building of a new engineNEWMAHAY
They are using the same engine, and are still on current gen. Not seeing your point.
Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts
Ten years ago we called games like Battlefield 4 "expansion packs". Now it's considered a full retail title.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Ten years ago we called games like Battlefield 4 "expansion packs". Now it's considered a full retail title.Merex760
So don't buy it. Problem solved.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lostrib

Ten years ago we called games like Battlefield 4 "expansion packs". Now it's considered a full retail title.Merex760

No we didn't

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="Merex760"]Ten years ago we called games like Battlefield 4 "expansion packs". Now it's considered a full retail title.lostrib

No we didn't

I think we did.

256px-Coduobox2.jpg

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

It's absolutely 3.5. Look at the difference from 1942 to 2, 2 to 3, and 3 to 4. They should have done Bad Company 3 before even thinking about doing 4.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lostrib

It's absolutely 3.5. Look at the difference from 1942 to 2, 2 to 3, and 3 to 4. They should have done Bad Company 3 before even thinking about doing 4.

scoots9

differences how?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Wasdie  Moderator

Actually an expansion pack for a multiplayer game would usually contain some new maps and some new vehicles/weapons. That's all the expansions to BF 1942 contained.

A game with a full campaign, new maps, a completely reworked engine, dozens of new features, revamped UI, completely new subset of weapons, and generally improvements on every part of the previous game would be called a sequel.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lostrib

[QUOTE="Merex760"]Ten years ago we called games like Battlefield 4 "expansion packs". Now it's considered a full retail title.Wasdie

Actually an expansion pack for a multiplayer game would usually contain some new maps and some new vehicles/weapons. That's all the expansions to BF 1942 contained.

A game with a full campaign, new maps, a completely reworked engine, dozens of new features, revamped UI, completely new subset of weapons, and generally improvements on every part of the previous game would be called a sequel.

I always laugh when people complain about BF3 DLC "Milkage" and now BF4.  

egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 egger7577

[QUOTE="Merex760"]Ten years ago we called games like Battlefield 4 "expansion packs". Now it's considered a full retail title.Wasdie

^This^
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Wasdie  Moderator

scoots9

You can only improve on a game so much. BF hasn't changed much since BF2 because they kind of hit the end all of what they could do with the series. 

The differences between BF3 and BF4 are quite extreme if you've actually played it. 

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

The beta is a complete joke. The performance is terrible, and the changes they've made are primarily downgrades. Little to no recoil on weapons. Bullshit unlock mechanisms designed to artificially prolong gameplay. Stick with BF3--this game is little more than BF3.5, and whatever you do:

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME AT LAUNCH!!

The issues many many people are having will not be resolved for at least 2-3 months after launch, they're that bad. BF4 is a total mess.

And don't go on about beta is beta...the game is a few weeks away from launch--these issues can't be resolved in anywhere near that time; and this is a stress test beta, not a beta where your feedback willl lead to fundemental game changes). 

btw, Wasdie, do you know who suspended me for posting that Shadow Warrior thread? Because I call bullshit on that. I was posting gaming related material on a gaming forum. I don't think I should have been suspended just because some mod found the content of a game offensive or whatever. Oh, and Shadow Warrior is sick as hell. Loved it. ;)

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lostrib

The beta is a complete joke. The performance is terrible, and the changes they've made are primarily downgrades. Little to no recoil on weapons. Bullshit unlock mechanisms designed to artificially prolong gameplay. Stick with BF3--this game is little more than BF3.5, and whatever you do:

The issues many many people are having will not be resolved for at least 2-3 months after launch, they're that bad. BF4 is a total mess.

And don't go on about beta is beta...the game is a few weeks away from launch--these issues can't be resolved in anywhere near that time; and this is a stress test beta, not a beta where your feedback willl lead to fundemental game changes). 

cfisher2833

for the love of god, don't use black text

And most of what you just said is either your opinion or pure speculations

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Merex760"]Ten years ago we called games like Battlefield 4 "expansion packs". Now it's considered a full retail title.FPSfan1985

No we didn't

I think we did.

256px-Coduobox2.jpg

Short campaign with the same voice actors and same setting as the previous game, few multiplayer maps, and some vehicles. Same exact game engine, no core changes to the gameplay, no UI changes, very few new weapons. That was an expansion pack. It was an expansion of CoD in every way.

BF4 is a complete overhaul of BF3 in every way. Everything from the shooting mecahnics to the meta-game has been changed and improved.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Wasdie  Moderator

cfisher2833

Clearly you didn't play the BF3 beta. They cleaned up all of the performance issues that people had in the beta in less than a month. The weapons have totally different properties in this because the entire pacing of the game has changed. The core of this game has improved on BF3 in every aspect. They moved the series back to the direction BF2 was going while keeping the vastly improved shooting mechanics of BF3.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lostrib

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

No we didn't

Wasdie

I think we did.

256px-Coduobox2.jpg

Short campaign with the same voice actors and same setting as the previous game, few multiplayer maps, and some vehicles. Same exact game engine, no core changes to the gameplay, no UI changes, very few new weapons. That was an expansion pack. It was an expansion of CoD in every way.

BF4 is a complete overhaul of BF3 in every way. Everything from the shooting mecahnics to the meta-game has been changed and improved.

Right on all counts, Wasdie.  And at the time CoD was more single player focused, while BF has almost entirely been MP focused.  And looking at previous BF expansions, they are nothing like BF4

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cfisher2833

[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

lostrib

Performance is terrible. All you need to do is check the forums or you can look at the tests that hardware guys have done. The minimum and recommended specs don't remotely reflect the kind of performance you can expect in the game atm. And as for it being a stress test beta....well, that's pretty clear. All you have to do is look at the BF3 beta. The only things that changed between the beta and launch for BF3 were them fixing some clipping issues/falling through maps. Otherwise the game was fundementally the exact same as it was in the beta. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

cfisher2833

Performance is terrible. All you need to do is check the forums or you can look at the tests that hardware guys have done. The minimum and recommended specs don't remotely reflect the kind of performance you can expect in the game atm. And as for it being a stress test beta....well, that's pretty clear. All you have to do is look at the BF3 beta. The only things that changed between the beta and launch for BF3 were them fixing some clipping issues/falling through maps. Otherwise the game was fundementally the exact same as it was in the beta. 

There were performance issues with the BF3 beta as well, it all worked out fine.  Between Beta Drivers and Beta game, there are bound to be some issues

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cfisher2833

[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

Wasdie

Clearly you didn't play the BF3 beta. They cleaned up all of the performance issues that people had in the beta in less than a month. The weapons have totally different properties in this because the entire pacing of the game has changed. The core of this game has improved on BF3 in every aspect. They moved the series back to the direction BF2 was going while keeping the vastly improved shooting mechanics of BF3.

I did play the beta--spent more than 30 hours in it. I am thinking that you don't remember it all that clearly, because the issues with the BF3 where nowhere near as significant as they've been with the BF4 beta. The primary issues people were having with the BF3 was clipping problems when you went prone and falling through the map. The performance issues weren't anywhere near as problematic.Â