MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1276 Posts

I'm curious why some of you chose one console over the other. So I ask you: What made you buy the Xbox over PlayStation or vice versa? Or even the Switch over them. Was it the exclusives? Was it Phil Spencer's dashing good looks and pearly white smile? Was it Sony's walking simulators? Lol. I say this in jest of course, but I am curious.

My interest in Sony's consoles is that they provided me with many fond childhood memories, most notably Kingdom Hearts. I grew up playing the Sega Genesis but we know how that ended up for them. Nintendo was my first system with the Gameboy Color; Pokémon Red being my first foray into the Pokémon universe. It's mostly because of nostalgia that I stick with them, and the game franchises that I've developed fondness for that keeps me coming back. To me, Microsoft doesn't have any of that. I did like Halo 2 for it's co-op, but other than that I don't have any interest in their system or their games.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11270 Posts

I have a preference for games. I currently gravitate toward Sony's machines for consoles because they have the ones I like. I mainly played on Xbox when the 360 was out. This is likely my last gen for consoles though. I think I'll be all in on PC at this point. I'm tired of buying individual boxes while these companies duel to the death for content.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1276 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

I have a preference for games. I currently gravitate toward Sony's machines for consoles because they have the ones I like. I mainly played on Xbox when the 360 was out. This is likely my last gen for consoles though. I think I'll be all in on PC at this point. I'm tired of buying individual boxes while these companies duel to the death for content.

I'll be going the PC route myself when this generation of current gen hardware ends. There's really no reason to stick with PS at this point when they're starting to bring their IP to PC. Nintendo, you'll always have to get their systems for those games though. Lol

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2489 Posts

Switch has exclusives. The others don't.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39695 Posts

One has quality exclusives while the other has nothing. The choice was very easy.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44542 Posts

I tend to pick up all the consoles because they each have enough games that I’m interested in playing on them.

As for why a particular console may be a preferred one well that is a culmination of things. Things such as:

- preferred games

- preferred controller

- backwards compatibility

- online functionality

- general ecosystem and overall functions

- look of the system

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Speaking strictly consoles:

The switch is the only current gen console I have since I tend to play everything else on the PC and i'm a sucker for Nintendos finest. Generally i also like nintendos more excentric approach to consoles. It's very hard to predict what they will do next. Sometimes it works...sometimes it falls short. Long may they continue to be mad though.

However PC is my main platform of choice. Huge Library. Very flexible of what, how and where you can play. Open platform. It's a monster of a gaming machine.

I was thinking of getting a PS5 to play PS5 and PS4 games (i skipped the PS4) but many of those are coming to the PC now so i haven't bothered.

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

The only real question here is which system provides the highest quality games? All the other bs about “features“ and UI is absolute nonsense. nobody spends their time on a console staring at the UI

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gotgames
Member since 2022 • 476 Posts

Sony is the best in the industry right now they have always delivered on game front

TcNemesiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TcNemesiz
Member since 2010 • 62 Posts

My preferences change as I get older. My young preteens was all Nintendo. My young teens was Playstation/Dreamcast and as I got competitive with online moved to Xbox then 360. Now I have a Ps4 and Nintendo switch and a gaming pc.

I'm a big fan of gamepass on PC because it saves me money.

I can't fathom why anyone would really dislike a console brand. I just enjoy games.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3114 Posts

I dislike Xbox because of Halo 2. CE is the best, and 2 set the trajectory for the franchise. Look where we are now.

Now I must get back to setting up for our bi-monthly CE LAN. I'm making cheese dip!

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By above_average
Member since 2021 • 1639 Posts
@dimebag667 said:

I dislike Xbox because of Halo 2. CE is the best, and 2 set the trajectory for the franchise. Look where we are now.

Now I must get back to setting up for our bi-monthly CE LAN. I'm making cheese dip!

OMG lol you're literally the first person to say the same thing I've felt since OG Xbox. The bold.

I'm not going to go as far as saying Halo 2 made me dislike xbox, but it showed me a tread I was not willing to buy into. That trend was paying extra (xbl online) for a game I already paid full price for me to get the "full" experience, like FOH.

What I will say is Halo 2 made me bite the bullet and buy a PlayStation system for the first time. I had always been a Sega guy before.

Metal Gear Solid 3 and Halo 2 literally came out at the same time and the difference in quality raised my standards for what I expected from my game companies AAA games and xbox has since NEVER been able to meet that bar.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

Nintendo/Switch has been my go-to, because it has the best exclusives and I love the hybrid format.

My back up is Xbox, as I prefer the slate of games and the controller has always been waaaaay better than PS. And Gamepass.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

I have a preference but I have purchased all the consoles. The systems I play the most is dependent on games and cost.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 above_average

On topic:

I am of the opinion that companies OWE ME (YOU) for choosing to purchase their system over or even in addition to another.

They are supposed to show their appreciation for me purchasing their system by producing the best most high quality original games they can possibly create.

Say what you want about Sega, they ALWAYS innovated with their games and they showed the people who did buy their systems appreciation by literally going out of business making the most innovative and ambitious systems and games for its consumers.

With that said, these game companies make my decision for me based on what they deliver or DON'T deliver.

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

@above_average said:

On topic:

I am of the opinion that companies OWE ME (YOU) for choosing to purchase their system over or even in addition to another.

They are supposed to show their appreciation for me purchasing their system by producing the best most high quality original games they can possibly create.

Say what you want about Sega, they ALWAYS innovated with their games and they showed the people who did buy their systems appreciation by literally going out of business making the most innovative and ambitious systems and games for its consumers.

With that said, these game companies make my decision for me based on what they deliver or DON'T deliver.

Can you explain why there are so many Xbox fans then? Do you think it’s some sort of sunk cost fallacy?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#17  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17906 Posts

I play on PC because it has the best quality and allows me to play the way that I want. PC is about options and not being restricted or limited like consoles.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By above_average
@BassMan said:

I play on PC because it has the best quality and allows me to play the way that I want. PC is about options and not being restricted or limited like consoles.

But I've seen you post about having a PS5. Was that just a bluff or are you embarrassed to admit you needed a console to help fullfil your gaming needs where your almighty PC falls short?

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 above_average
@randy_lahey said:
@above_average said:

On topic:

Can you explain why there are so many Xbox fans then? Do you think it’s some sort of sunk cost fallacy?

This is my personal philosophy.

I can't pin my views on other people, but this is how companies used to treat their customers back in the day. Sega & Nintendo went over and above to provide the very best games they had the ability to create and that's how they EARNED your choice to buy their system/games.

Of course there is competition between the platform holders but however you slice it, if it translates to providing better content to the end users that's all the matters to me.

I don't simply choose a platform of choice, a platform holder EARN my loyalty by actions and results.

Xbox fans? Well I was an xbox "fan" of the OG xbox. Then 2004 MS hit me with nearly a year drought of no games and released Halo 2 that required me to get XBL for an extra $50 to get the FULL experience. That's where I fell out of fandom with xbox.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#21  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17906 Posts
@above_average said:
@BassMan said:

But I've seen you post about having a PS5. Was that just a bluff or are you embarrassed to admit you needed a console to help fullfil your gaming needs where your almighty PC falls short?

I only buy consoles for exclusives. I bought a PS5 at launch and thankfully it is becoming more irrelevant with the Sony games coming to PC. I am enjoying God of War Ragnarok right now though. Dunno when it is coming to PC yet and I didn't want to wait as I am a huge fan of the franchise.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16042 Posts

I bought the Switch because I have loved Nintendo for a long time; franchises such as Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon and Fire Emblem are all must haves. I bought an Xbox Series X for its multi-plats. There tend to be droughts on Nintendo platforms -- and by that I mean that there are long periods of time in which nothing good comes out. With the Series X, I don't have to worry about that because of Gamepass. There's always something available that I haven't played yet.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34770 Posts

I get Nintendo systems to go along with my PC because of their exclusives. Makes me able to play everything I want to play.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

As a primarily PC gamer my current "console" preference would be the steam deck, for all its flaws, but if that doesn't count then it's the Switch. As weak and cramped as it is, it actually has exclusives not on PC that I'm interested in, unlike the Xbox/PS5.

However, if this obscene GPU pricing business that's plagued PC gaming for years now continues for years more, I might have to get a PS5/6 when my GTX 1070 can no longer perform adequately, and I'm not the only one. A mid-range card has no business costing more than an entire current gen console, and at the rate things are going even budget cards might end up pricier than consoles. Sad to think that NVIDIA might be the one to finally kill off PC gaming thanks to their insatiable greed.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

Just the games. Which for me, used to mean getting every console. Even if I had my preferences between them, always came down to the games.

This will probably be the first gen I skip a major console or two. Got them all last gen, but meh. Barely played them. Last time I felt it was worthwhile was gen 7. Last time I felt it was great to own them all, gen 6.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I prefer PC consoles are good but PC isn't a locked platform modding, emulation, full backwards compatible don't have to pay for online gaming. also VR is better on PC because it's a open platform you can play old games in VR like F.E.A.R, Half Life 2, GTA V ect...

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1010 Posts

I have no problem with console and they should continue to exist but I am primarily a PC gamer these days. It has the best games, free online, mods, library that goes back decades, easily modified hardware, the only downside is you have to know what the **** you're doing sometimes and not be a noob

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 693 Posts

I got a PS2 and enjoyed my time with it. Got that because it was the brand I knew.

Then enjoyed my time on PS3, PS4 and PS5 - see no reason to change.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44681 Posts

If your friends you game with use one system that's good enough to get one too.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Fanboyism

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

I'll always buy Nintendo platforms because they have the best exclusives, and I'll buy multiplats and other titles on the PC (because it has the most power and flexibility).

I'll usually have either an Xbox or Playstation as well, but it really depends which has the best remaining games each gen. So the 360 was the easy choice over the PS3, and the PS4 was the easy choice last gen.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16018 Posts

I buy PS cause their ecosystem is the best. Usually have the best and active players in fighting, hunting and FPS games. when I go online on an old fighting game somehow people still plays online.

Nintendo I have a love hate relationship. I absolutely hate Mario and Pokémon franchise. Don't give a shit about Zelda or Metroid but I still buy Nintendo cause sometime gems only appear there.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3505 Posts

I like both Nintendo and Xbox. Can't say the same about Sony, for a weird reason, the toxicity of its fanbase eroded the brand perception over the years for me.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4388 Posts

xbox s x. gamer pass unlimited. pc using to.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#35 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I tend to buy them all each gen. I like games so I buy and play what I want.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#36 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

I like 'em all but would rank them as...

3. Sony - Good exclusives (though not impressive in terms of gameplay innovation), middle of the pack in performance.

2. Xbox - Enjoy third party games on Xbox over PS. Better controllers. Gamepass and a good "ecosystem" make it better than PS for me.

1. Nintendo - Nintendo exclusives, which are the best hands down, and that Nintendo... *Spongebob imagination meme*...CHARM!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Halo/Gears/Forza!! lol :P

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17458 Posts

I don't have a console preference as I'm mostly a PC gamer.

I had a PS5 at one point but sold it after playing my PS4 collection on it and not having any use for it anymore.

If I didn't have a PC id probably just buy both consoles.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

I like Zelda, i like Super Mario, i like Metroid ... there is not really that much else to say. Is not that i'm as die hard Nintendo fan like i used to be 15 years ago, but yeah.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3505 Posts

I like Xbox and Nintendo. Used to own PlayStation too but both the creative direction in recent years and the toxic fanbase made the brand somewhat undesirable for me.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#41  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

@madsnakehhh: If you skip a gen or two of Nintendo systems and then come back, you'll feel like you missed out, but the experience will be super fresh. I came back to Nintendo with Gamecube, and I had a blast with that console. Went back and played a lot of N64 and SNES stuff afterwards. Haven't missed a Nintendo system since and don't want to miss it.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10553 Posts

the xbox one disastrous first reveal, the more powerful and games focussed ps4, and gears and halo handed over to new dev studios are why i decided to go sony last gen. i wanted to play tlou too.

i did eventually buy an xbox one but the only real use i got out of it was playing my old 360 games. i played gears 4, 5 and halo 5 as well and knew my instincts were right. gears 4 in particular was dreadful.

bought a switch, gave it to my nephews, not my cuppa tea.

i'm happy sticking with sony for now. there's been a lot of huff and puff from ms, and gamepass is good value, but i'm still waiting for them to start delivering quality games, game that'll make me look over the wall enviously. when / if that happens, and i can't play them on pc day one, i'll pick up an xbox

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20239 Posts

My preference is split between PC and PS5. PC has been getting more of my attention since I don't play as many multiplayer games on console anymore and because MS is shipping its games onto PC as well. I go back to my PS5 for the exclusive titles. I might even get that new VR headset.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

PS5 thus far, enjoying backlog of games that I didn't get a chance to play.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#46 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

As others have said, it comes down to the games. Sony has typically offered better exclusives so I've got playstation consoles, then played everything else on PC.

I actually prefer how Xbox does business these days with gamepass and same-day PC releases of all their first-party stuff. They just don't have many good first party games at this point sadly (though gamepass is still an excellent service).

at least Sony is starting to move their games to PC after a while, so I've held off getting a PS5 to this point (though I was tempted when Ragnarok released)

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23993 Posts

From my biggest preference to loweste preference.

• PC: Has by far the most games, moddability.
  • Switch: Portability is nice so sometimes I get Multiplats on Switch. Nintendo first party is also superb.
  • Xbox: MS has one of t he best services in the industry, if not the best one. Their upcoming changes to make their console consume less energy is also a genius move.
  • PS: Honestly has nothing to offer me at this point. First party hasnt interested me since Bloodborne. But we will see.
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12377 Posts

I prefer PlayStation.

The reason being they've always been able to deliver amazing games whether it's from their own studios or partners.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@mycatismilk:

• I like the Switch, but due to the lack of 3rd party it's not a good choice as a primary console.
  • I am not a fan of Sony 1st party games, and I loathe the business practices of Sony as a whole, so I will never buy a Playstation again.
  • That leaves XBox and PC. Game Pass works for both. I like XBox 1st party games, because I like playing multiplayer and their style of games are more fun to me.
PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 529 Posts

For consoles, I grew up loving Playstation games from PS1 to PS4 just because I was into RPGs and action games. I never cared for shooters or racing games so Xbox didn't really have alot to offer compared to Playstation. The one time I got an Xbox over a PS it was a 360 and I had 3 RROD units and gave up, and got a PS3.

Since the early 2000's though PC is and always will be my preferred platform. The amount of freedom, flexibility, BC, and massive game library it offers is 2nd to none. Now that all Xbox games are on PC and PS titles coming over to the platform I probably won't buy another console.

Nintendo's never really been on my radar. I've had a few of their consoles but most of their games don't interest me and I feel like you miss out on alot more games only having a Nintendo console.