Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

So I take it I’ll never be referred to as "he" or "she" in the game?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

Irrelevent.

Anyone complaining about this, probably should play Cyberpunk.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Juub1990
@Maroxad said:

Irrelevent.

>Immersive RPG with character creation
>Gender irrelevant
So they'll call you by gender neutral pronouns? Or will CD Projek Red avoid mentioning you in the 3rd person completely?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Maroxad

@Juub1990 said:
@Maroxad said:

Irrelevent.

>Gender irrelevant

So they'll call you by gender neutral pronouns? Or will CD Projek Red avoid mentioning you in the 3rd person completely?

Yes this is irrelevent... another user put it up quite well,

@Planeforger said:

It's a cyberpunk game. You can probably buy body modifications from vending machines on every street corner.

So...yeah, it fits the setting that your sex or gender isn't particularly important.

So yes, Gender is pretty irrelevent in Cyberpunk.

Most likely you will be referred to as They.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Juub1990
@Maroxad said:

Did you also whine about the transgender NPC in Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition, despite the fact that the D&D Player's Handbook essentially encouraging players to make a transgender character if they so wish.

Why are you assuming I even played Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition? What does a transgender NPC have to do with character creation? Why didn't you address the question in my post?

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

How silly!!!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Maroxad

@Juub1990 said:
@Maroxad said:

Did you also whine about the transgender NPC in Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition, despite the fact that the D&D Player's Handbook essentially encouraging players to make a transgender character if they so wish.

Why are you assuming I even played Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition? What does a transgender NPC have to do with character creation? Why didn't you address the question in my post?

I brought it up. Sorry I was just being an arrogant DM there ;)

You will most likely be referred to as "They".

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 725 Posts

The main character in a game usually tends to be referred by a title (like Dragonborn , Watcher, savior or some other crap). We rarely see npcs using he or she probably since it’s more expensive to record voice acting twice using two pronouns.

Anyway, that is not your real problem with it and it’s evident for everybody.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Juub1990

@Maroxad: They should have given the option of male, female or undefined. They would have their inclusivity without pissing off a chunk of the userbase.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2525 Posts

Literally doesn't make a jot of difference in this kind of game, so who cares.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Juub1990

@nirgal: No it’s not rare at all. It’s very common to be referred to as He or She.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

@i_p_daily: Oh, you. Well if it's any consolation, when you've followed me into yet another 50 or so threads, begging for my attention, I'll throw you another breadcrumb of conversation.

Until then, buh-bye, sweetie. ;)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59358 Posts

CDP actually berated Skyrim and other RPG's for not having a set character.

But if we're being honest here, Geralt, a mutant with absolutely no emotion, who's just some Clint Eastwood knockoff with a sword, ain't exactly the most interesting fellow in the world.

Even that mentally stunted fellow from Gothic emotes more character, even if it's unintentionally humorous.

@ghosts4ever said:

Creating character is non sense.

I will chose this

as by default character. not doing any customization.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: " Sounds like they're excluding the majority "

How? You can be a male. Getting pissed off because some rando you will never meet will play the game differently from you in the privacy of their own home is bullshit.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Maroxad

@Juub1990 said:

@Maroxad: They should have given the option of male, female or undefined. They would have their inclusivity without pissing off a chunk of the userbase.

Honestly, I just find this paying homage to the source material.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#66 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25075 Posts

@uninspiredcup: and no wonder why i was saying make keannu reeves as main protagonist...

it would make perfect sense in cyberpunk setting and keannu on box art will sell most copies and earn more money. but not, tiny reset era minorities will not be pleased..

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Sancho_Panzer

@xantufrog said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: " Sounds like they're excluding the majority "

How? You can be a male.

"Needs more gender options," they're saying now. It is a teeny bit ironic. You just can't win, can you.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#68  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It's player choice. I don't mind it much.

It IS weird if the people in the game still distinguish between things using words, and not between male and female. (Do they use apple and banana or do they just say fruit?) On the other hand with the idea of what is human becoming a vague concept because of cyberware I could see biological sex or genders being blurred as well.

I don't think this is a big deal to be honest. It's different than restricting speech or some such.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Sancho_Panzer

@KungfuKitten said:

It IS weird if the people in the game still distinguish between things using words, and not between male and female. (Do they use apple and banana or do they just say fruit?) On the other hand with the idea of what is human becoming a vague concept because of cyberware I could see biological sex or genders being blurred as well.

I don't think this is a big deal to be honest. It's different than restricting speech or some such.

TBH, I don't think it's going to matter in speech at all in the game, or at least not in English. When a character's talking directly to you, they'll just say "you". We don't have gendered first or second person verbs and pronouns in English, so the only time gender pronouns matter in game design is if you're being discussed in the 3rd person, which is probably so infrequent as to be a non-issue. It would be interesting to know how they're going to tackle the problem in, say, slavic languages though, where every verb can have a gender specific construction.

Anyway, Idk, this seems like an easier and significantly cheaper design option than catering separately to every position on the gender politics spectrum or whatever. Personally I couldn't give a toss. IRL, sure, I reckon it would be rather stupid to get rid of grammatical gender, because like you say, it's there to facilitate communication and understanding.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#70  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59358 Posts
@KungfuKitten said:

Ye I can understand people getting annoyed at Resetera, Polygon and other reductive leftests getting on a pulpit trying to dictate shit to people like it's 1984 (nobody sane likes those assholes), but as you say here , this is a choice, not a restriction.

More people can role-play to specifics they want... Good?

@ghosts4ever said:

@uninspiredcup: and no wonder why i was saying make keannu reeves as main protagonist...

it would make perfect sense in cyberpunk setting and keannu on box art will sell most copies and earn more money. but not, tiny reset era minorities will not be pleased..

Keannu reeves character probably is going to be another generic "me so badass" guy we've seen in games a billion times before.

A lot of CDP characters are just straight up bland, transparent archetypes. And when I say that I don't mean "oh he's white and straight oooo ahhhhh", you could change them and the he'd still be like watching paint dry.

Try playing this (uh-huh), and compare the writing of the characters in that to Gerarld of The Rivendale. People talk and interact, and think, like actual human-beans. People praise The Witcher like some paragon of writing, as someone who very barely got standard grade English, I can safely say this game shits all over it with big anime jobbys.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#71 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9436 Posts

Sounds good to me.

NPCs can refer to me by my class name. More Cyberpunky that way anyway.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Sancho_Panzer

@uninspiredcup^ LoH TitS?

hurr hurr.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

“You don’t choose your gender anymore. You don’t choose, ‘I want to be a female or male character’ you now choose a body type,” Jonkers says. “Because we want you to feel free to create any character you want. So you choose your body type and we have two voices, one that’s male sounding, one is female sounding. You can mix and match.”

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/586297-cyberpunk-2077-character-creation-no-male-female-gender-options

Sounds like they're excluding the majority to "include" the small vocal minority. What about the people who want their character to be a male or female? Can't they just have an other option?

I'm buying the game regardless because it looks amazing. But I hate when devs say they want to be more "inclusive" and not even realize that they're excluding the majority of players by doing so.

If you want to make a Male character then make all the choices starting with body type and voice that a male to your liking would look & sound like.

Are u aware that even in games that ascribe the terms "male or female" to character creation there exists no sexual organ on the created character? This organ is what makes one a male or female. These aren't real living beings so they don't possess sex organs. This complaint is absurd

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By cainetao11

@Juub1990 said:
@Maroxad said:

Irrelevent.

>Gender irrelevant

How about by the character's name?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#76 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34782 Posts

I fail to see how this is excluding anyone. I also fail to see how this is worth to care about.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#77  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25075 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Try playing this (uh-huh), and compare the writing of the characters in that to Gerarld of The Rivendale. People talk and interact, and think, like actual human-beans. People praise The Witcher like some paragon of writing, as someone who very barely got standard grade English, I can safely say this game shits all over it with big anime jobbys.

Meh. looks like girly animu game. not interested.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#78 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

These omega boys the feel their masculinity in danger because of video games and super hero movies are the best thing ever.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#79 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70444 Posts

So, you can make the character the way you want to be and people are bitching because they remove the title male or female? Seriously? This is a problem for some you folks?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#80 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Who cares? it's a non-issue.

Apparently CDPR cares because they're patting themselves on the back over removing the terms male and female from their game.

Not even. They are just prepping for the usual shit someone will say like "CDPR opress people that identify as helicpters" when the game comes out.

RDR2 got shit for being able to punch a sjw in the game.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11706 Posts

Is there boob and dick sliders?

This is really just a move to get woke twitter and the pedo's that post on resetera off their backs. Not sure it will work though.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#82 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

It's obvious that most in this thread have never read a Cyberpunk novel.

It is a hi-tech, futuristic setting where body modification is a very normal thing. People in this world get cybernetic arms or implants like people in our time get tattoos and piercings. Maybe a female character wants to look tougher than usual. Go down to the body doc and get some huge muscular man arms attached.

It isn't about SJW nonsense. It's about the the options you would have available in a futuristic world that is dominated by tech. If people today can get an operation to change their sex, what do you think would be available in a few hundred years?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Juub1990

@cainetao11: Because you address someone by their name every single time when you mention them in 3rd person?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By cainetao11

@Juub1990 said:

@cainetao11: Because you address someone by their name every single time when you mention them in 3rd person?

LOL None of us have razor swords that pop out of our forearms either. Its a video game.

Making a big deal of nothing important.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

There is no man, no women, only penis and not penis.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Juub1990

@cainetao11: Your response had literally nothing to do with what we’re talking about but don’t quit your day job.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 cainetao11

@Juub1990 said:

@cainetao11: Your response had literally nothing to do with what we’re talking about but don’t quit your day job.

What you're talking about is asinine. Keep it up

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11271 Posts
@Juub1990 said:

So I take it I’ll never be referred to as "he" or "she" in the game?

Nobody's gonna refer to you in third-person pronouns in the game so I don't think it's gonna be a big deal.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Juub1990
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Nobody's gonna refer to you in third-person pronouns in the game so I don't think it's gonna be a big deal.

How do you know this?

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 BenjaminBanklin
@Juub1990 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

How do you know this?

The game is from your character's POV, there's no reason to call you "he" or "she".

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 cainetao11

@Juub1990 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

How do you know this?

How do you know they will never use he or she? Just because they don't label "male or female" on content creator screen? How do you know there wont be an option to be called he or she in dialogue? You're complaining about something you don't have all the facts in about.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#92 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

More pandering? Lame.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Juub1990
@cainetao11 said:

How do you know they will never use he or she? Just because they don't label "male or female" on content creator screen? How do you know there wont be an option to be called he or she in dialogue? You're complaining about something you don't have all the facts in about.

"So I take it I’ll never be referred to as "he" or "she" in the game?"

See this question mark? It's me wondering how they'll handle it. If you had read my posts you'd know but you don't and always argue just to argue so never mind that.

I never claimed I knew they would never use it. Hence me questioning it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 cainetao11

@Juub1990 said:

This isn't you questioning. Its you bitching that the game should be made as you would want it made.

Banklin shit on your "he or she" anyway.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Juub1990
@BenjaminBanklin said:

The game is from your character's POV, there's no reason to call you "he" or "she".

Absolute top-tier logic. 99% of games are played from your character's point of view. Last I checked it didn't stop anyone from using 3rd person to refer to your character.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
@Juub1990 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Absolute top-tier logic. 99% of games are played from your character's point of view. Last I checked it didn't stop anyone from using 3rd person to refer to your character.

Uhhh, I'm sure this is the first thing they thought of when they made the game? Referring to someone outside of gender specific pronouns is an extraordinarily easy thing to do in a game like this. No one has to call you sir or ma'am or bro. They're likely talking at you referring to you by name... but you may not even be a named character. It's not hard to dodge.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

What if I want my character to be transracial? Where is the representation?!?! CDPR is gonna hear about this on ResetEra!

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#99 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15597 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Juub1990 said:

Uhhh, I'm sure this is the first thing they thought of when they made the game? Referring to someone outside of gender specific pronouns is an extraordinarily easy thing to do in a game like this. No one has to call you sir or ma'am or bro. They're likely talking at you referring to you by name... but you may not even be a named character. It's not hard to dodge.

Notice that no one cared in Mass Effect when every character referred to you only neutrally as Shepard. But the very concept here makes people lose their minds trying to comprehend how it could be possible.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Juub1990

@Vaasman: They referred to you as Shepard and as he/she depending of your gender. They’re not mutually exclusive.