David Jaffe calls Halo 'old fashioned' - do you agree?

• 79 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll David Jaffe calls Halo 'old fashioned' - do you agree? (71 votes)

Yes 52%
No 32%
Not sure yet / don't know. 15%

I kinda got this feeling from when playing the Halo Infinite beta/early release. I'm enjoying it, but it does seem like it's a bit old school. I get that people want their Halo, but would love to see the franchise evolve a bit more.

What do you think, SW? Do you agree with David Jaffe?

• 
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50619 Posts

I mean, it's Halo and sticks to the formula from years ago. They obviously did add things...but nothing wrong with that. So I guess...yes?

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#2  Edited By Star67
Member since 2005 • 5177 Posts

Yes of course it is, It's an Arena Shooter, those have been around since the late 90's. Doesn't mean Halo isn't good, it's just an older multiplayer genre.

I love Socom, I like playing Wildlands because it feels like Socom, but I can tell why it isn't as popular as COD, BF, or Fortnite.

Will Halo be big again? Maybe, COD and BF didn't launch to great reception so now may be a great time for Arena Shooters to come back. Like with any media trends come and go, then back again.

If Halo can bring back the arena shooter then I'm all for it, maybe we will see a resurgence in the genre (And maybe Sony will bring Socom back)

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16582 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: isnt this the guy who couldn't figure out to shoot the wall in metroid

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56282 Posts

As a long time Halo fan, I couldn't agree more.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8273 Posts

They tried to chase the Call of Duty formula in Halo 4 and people hated it..

Halo 5's multiplayer was generally praised for going "back to its roots" so it's not surprising to see similar praise for both the campaign and multiplayer in Halo Infinite..

Sticking to what works isn't necessarily a bad thing if that's what the fans want..

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16582 Posts

after watching the video, Im fully on board with what he's saying. No I don't want to see halo turn into that shit fortnite or whatever its called. I've never played those types of games and I don't plan to either. But I don't agree that using a pay for item thing isn't something halo shouldn't do. Selling custom items, and suits, things like that are completely fine with me as long as they don't break the gameplay. In fact I'd love to have my own custom suit for MC. This is something that valve has been doing for more than a decade with a well known game called DoTA2. I just checked google and it says DoTA2 made valve around 400Mill back in 2017. So yes they can follow that path, but they also need to build a community around it, with esports, tournies and stuff.

And yeah, i'd love to see that kind of community grow around halo, and to see the best of the best halo players duke it out for millions of $$.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#9 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I'd agree, but also think thats by no means a bad thing.

I wish BF2042 were a bit more "old fashioned"

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

I hope he's right.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#11 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

I love how because David Jaffe criticized (by playing horribly and passing it off as legit criticism) a 'cultist' game (Dread), majority on SW is taking him seriously again.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@ghost_of_phobos said:

I hope he's right.

Ikr. It's either Halo or it isn't. All they can do is make incremental improvements every game.

What is the point in it playing like other popular FPS games. I don't need that. I want Doom to play like Doom, Quake to play like Quake, Halo to play like Halo.

It goes for Sony games too. I think Killzone should play like Killzone, Resistance should play like Resistance.

I don't want them to sell it out for popularity.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

Sure, I guess. Nothing wrong with that though. I’m having a great time playing so that’s all that really matters to me.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

I think your thread completely miss represents the point he’s making.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@SolidGame_basic: isnt this the guy who couldn't figure out to shoot the wall in metroid

Haha! Yeah...Seems kinda odd for him to call Halo old-fashioned in any other way but positive and yet, he can't figure out how to play metroid, which that formula has been around since the 80s.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 13050 Posts

Seems like most people here are only judging by the name of the video. If you actually watch the video, he is praising the Halo multiplayer and is calling it brilliant.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

WHO?

And why does this knackers opinion deserve a SW thread?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45329 Posts

@x_hedon said:

Seems like most people here are only judging by the name of the video. If you actually watch the video, he is praising the Halo multiplayer and is calling it brilliant.

I wouldn't say old fashioned means bad, just a way to describe the gameplay.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

**** yeah and it’s fun for it. Halo is the last game standing of its era of FPS, it is a shame that the deepest and highest skill ceiling fps, arena shooters died out for the parade of ads, low ttk, bore fests of today.

It’s no Quake or Unreal or Tribes, but Halo satiates the itch all the same. Weapon pick ups, equal starts, territory control, actual evolving tactics n strategies with equal footing tools, an actual genuine competitive game in the genre, besides you know Siege n CS/Valorant.

It’s precisely the old shit that makes it fun, Hur modern is not always better; often, especially in triple A, it’s a stupider game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58434 Posts

Yes it is old-fashioned, that is sort of the point I think.

Just don't mistake "old fashioned" for "outdated". There's a reason why "old fashioned" diners have been in business for decades while the hip, trendy restaurants have an 80% failure rate in the first few years.

Familiarity, tried-and-true products, and an established brand go a long way in helping people enjoy things.

@SolidGame_basic said:
@x_hedon said:

I wouldn't say old fashioned means bad, just a way to describe the gameplay.

Exactly.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

So that's his thing in order to boost views right?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#22  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

I heard Halo 5 alienated players. Maybe going back to formula and regaining player trust is the whole point, hence the "old school" design.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#23  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2590 Posts

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

He's probably right, but I would consider that a positive.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6955 Posts

@girlusocrazy: You should watch the video which is actually quite insightful. More importantly, his central theme is exactly the opposite of what you posted. He is describing what makes Halo different than CoD or Fortnite and why. His central premise is that they can't copy either and that is what makes Halo special but also boxed in. He thinks the MP is awesome, but he wonders if it will attract enough under 30 people because the gameplay requires more thinking and because Halo does not have all the instant gratification things like unlocking new weapons.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6955 Posts

@girlusocrazy: I might have, but it is actually a decent video and his points are spot on so I think worth watching.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Dude thinks all white people are racist.

Honestly how this guy still has followers is beyond me.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 913 Posts

Call it what you want. It's also just plain pretty good at its worst and a blast at its best.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8320 Posts

Being "old fashioned" is what I wanted. Something more in tune with Halo 1-3, I got that with some added speed and gadgets. It's great. I've been iffy on Halos MP after 3, it just never felt the same, even reach. The classes bleh. Chasing BF COD and trends. This feels like true Halo MP to me. It's clean and the gameplay is super tight.

It's like saying Doom 2016 and Eternal feel "old fashioned". But that's what makes it good.

I'd bust a blood vessel if they chased more modern trends like BR and weapon customization instead of getting back to the basics on core team slayer and BR. It's about balance. That's what makes a great competitive game. It's a return to form for the franchise imo. (Atleast MP wise, I enjoy the SP but I mainly play and enjoy Halo for the MP with the boys.)

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3741 Posts

Halo is the epitome of the old fashioned bro shooter. Worn out like an old shoe. The series was never that interesting to begin with, but like Gears, it's just beating a dead horse at this point. Microsoft needs to give the series a rest. Not even this new grappling hook can save it.

Kizza_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kizza_Soze
Member since 2021 • 448 Posts

Never been a MP Halo fan...I did like the 1st game for the campaign & feel that they suffered thereafter when the focus became MP... But, my preferences aside...Jaffe maybe right, BUT, many of us want a move away from the COD/BF formula for something more ol' skool like Halo, Unreal, Quake, Timesplitters, Goldeneye, etc, etc.

Just purely fun fps with no BS perks & ridiculous handicaps for experienced players that punishes noobs & disheartens them from playing games like COD due to these imbalances. So good on Halo, & I'm glad that Halo fans are enjoying the game & it seems 343i snatched the game from the brink of failure, to deliver the best MP Halo experience in years.

Now, lets hope Halo, Splitgate, Quake re-release, etc, gets developers & publishers to start making titles that implement FUN into their MP games, rather than modern formulas of winning perks & ridiculous, time consuming/wasting challenges, etc. In other words, time for Timesplitters 4, Unreal Tournament 3, Killzone 4, new Quake, Resistance 4 and/or remasters of all Resistance games.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34701 Posts

Sure. It's like a really slow and content barren Unreal Tournament.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#36 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59205 Posts

Once again Mr. Jaffe has shown us the way.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gym_Lion

@Litchie: I wouldn't called 10 maps content barren and personally I think the speed of the game is fine and don't find it slow at all.

But each to there own and all that.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Litchie

@gym_lion said:

@Litchie: I wouldn't called 10 maps content barren and personally I think the speed of the game is fine and don't find it slow at all.

I would. Unreal Tournament had way more maps and was way faster.. So comparing Halo to that, what I said isn't even opinion but fact. Infinite isn't slow to Halo standards, though. Halo has always been slow.

UT99 had around 30 maps, if I recall correctly. Way better ones than Halo, too.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gym_Lion
@Litchie said:
@gym_lion said:

I would. Unreal Tournament had way more maps and was way faster.. So comparing Halo to that, what I said isn't even opinion but fact. Infinite isn't slow to Halo standards, though. Halo has always been slow.

Better in what way?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9836 Posts

@Litchie: Halo’s launching with 10 maps. There’s upcoming events with new maps and new game types over many years. That’s why the “500m budget” figure is misquoted. That figure is the budget for future updates, maps and development costs as well as initial development.

That compares with 10 maps for Halo 4 and 11 for Halo 3.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Litchie
@gym_lion said:
@Litchie said:
@gym_lion said:

Better in what way?

More fun. In Infinite, I can say that I enjoy one of their available maps. I find the rest badly designed or just boring.

@sealionact said:

@Litchie: Halo’s launching with 10 maps. There’s upcoming events with new maps and new game types over many years. That’s why the “500m budget” figure is misquoted. That figure is the budget for future updates, maps and development costs as well as initial development.

Haven't played Halo 3 and 4, but you might be right that Halo has always been short on content compared to other arena shooters.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gym_Lion

@Litchie said:
@gym_lion said:
@Litchie said:
@gym_lion said:

Better in what way?

More fun. In Infinite, I can say that I enjoy one of their available maps. I find the rest badly designed or just boring.

@sealionact said:

Haven't played Halo 3 and 4, but you might be right that Halo has always been short on content compared to other arena shooters.

Sound's like your going out of your way to be negative to be honest. But as I say each to there own.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Litchie

@gym_lion said:
@Litchie said:
@gym_lion said:
@Litchie said:
@gym_lion said:

Better in what way?

@sealionact said:

Sound's like your going out of your way to be negative to be honest. But as I say each to there own.

Sounds like you're ignoring the shortcomings of the Infinite MP, and going out of your way to be positive to be honest. But yes. To each their own.

Pretty saddened by the fact that most gamers today are fine with less.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gym_Lion

@Litchie said:
@gym_lion said:
@Litchie said:
@gym_lion said:
@Litchie said:

Better in what way?

@sealionact said:

Sounds like you're ignoring the shortcomings of the Infinite MP, and going out of your way to be positive to be honest. But yes. To each their own.

They're only short coming because 'you' say they are. 10 maps is fine and I've been enjoying all of them.

Sorry to sadden you I guess.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Litchie
@gym_lion said:
@Litchie said:
@gym_lion said:
@Litchie said:

They're only short coming because 'you' say they are. 10 maps is fine and I've been enjoying all of them.

Sorry to sadden you I guess.

Indeed. 10 maps is "fine", even though arena shooters usually have more. And a beta gets an 8/10, despite being a barebones beta.

If people weren't so fine with less, we'd see better games.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10633 Posts

@Star67 said:

Yes of course it is, It's an Arena Shooter, those have been around since the late 90's. Doesn't mean Halo isn't good, it's just an older multiplayer genre.

I love Socom, I like playing Wildlands because it feels like Socom, but I can tell why it isn't as popular as COD, BF, or Fortnite.

Will Halo be big again? Maybe, COD and BF didn't launch to great reception so now may be a great time for Arena Shooters to come back. Like with any media trends come and go, then back again.

If Halo can bring back the arena shooter then I'm all for it, maybe we will see a resurgence in the genre (And maybe Sony will bring Socom back)

I can definitely agree with BF 2042, but as of CoD, I heard that Vangard was the best CoD to release since MW 2019.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

There's no school like the old school and I know that from experience. lol :P

More I hear about the game the more pumped and more confident I am it just may be the bestest Halo ever. :D

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#48 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

It's about as modern as COD, at least. You can slide, vault over obstacles and use power ups. So I really don't know why anyone would call the newer Halo games 5 and Infinite old school. Maybe the mp modes? The only real difference between current Halo and COD is the shield and the way you aim down the sights of your guns. Everything else pretty much works the same way.

Dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 421 Posts

I agree. It’s great. Don’t fix what ain’t broken. I will say this; remove or fix Stronghold cause **** that mode 😂

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8320 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: Halo has always had more of a back n forth gun fights than COD because shields. Cod for the most part really is just a twitch shooter where 99% of the time the person who wins the fight is who shot first.

Halo splits up the damage between grenade, Mellee, and guns quite well. This completely different than COD.

But the big difference is Halo is an arena shooter. Weapons are placed on the map, you can't customize them, you don't unlock or buy guns. The guns stay the same and are in the same locations.

Halo is a balanced MP game. COD is not balanced at all, it's a cheese fest.