the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

In Dawn of War III you will have no choice but to face your foes when a catastrophic weapon is found on the mysterious world of Acheron.

With war raging and the planet under siege by the armies of greedy Ork warlord Gorgutz, ambitious Eldar seer Macha, and mighty Space Marine commander Gabriel Angelos, supremacy must ultimately be suspended for survival.

===================================================================

=============================================================

[Update]

PCG :

You play as three races in the campaign

Three races have been revealed: Space Marines, Orks and Eldar. The campaign moves between factions from mission to mission as each army converges on the same planet to retrieve a mysterious weapon. All of the factions have their own collection of heroes, elites, super units and super abilities that you develop over the course of the story. Gabriel Angelos returns to lead the Blood Ravens, and he'll tee off against an Eldar Farseer and an Ork Warlord.

Big armies are back

The battle I saw was comparable to a large-scale Dawn of War 1 encounter. Dozens of units exchanged glittering laser fire on an icy world. Hammer-wielding heroes and huge war machines waded through the troops, obliterating Eldar Guardians with rockets, gatling guns, bolters, flamers and brutal melee strikes.

There's method to the chaos. The designers want Dawn of War 3 to be their most accessible RTS yet, and that means making battles easier to read. Laser fire clearly shows where damage is being directed, and effects such as the Assault Marines' superhuman leaps are carefully calibrated to stand out in the busy battlefield. The result is a a visual hierarchy of threat that, Relic hopes, will make huge clashes easier to read.

In aid of this, some close detail has been sacrificed so Dawn of War 3 can shine in large-scale encounters, and Relic's artists have taken more inspiration from the colourful paint jobs of the tabletop game. It's a step away from the dark doom-laden tone of the fiction, and the game looks fantastic in motion.

Bases return

Dawn of War 1 style bases are back. They produce your workaday line units such as Tactical Marines, heavy-weapon Devastators and Dreadnought walkers. As in previous games, you build power generators and capture requisition points in the field to acquire resources.

If your Space Marines are too lazy to walk you can load units into three drop pods and smash them into a fight to surprise and squash the enemy. This is a key part of the Space Marines' 'death from above' strategy, which also incorporates jump-pack powered Assault Marines and a giant orbital laser—more on that later.

You collect and level up elite units

The designers talk about Dawn of War 3 armies in terms of line and elite units. Line units deliver continuous damage and try not to die; elite units deliver decisive strikes. Certain combinations of elite units will suit rush strategies, others will be more powerful lategame options. For example, returning Space Marine hero Gabriel Angelos is a close combat master that gives you a lot of power right away, so you might want to give another slot to a late-game ranged monster like the Imperial Knight.

You have three elite slots, which must be assigned before each battle. They are designed to let you define your play style, and to support a variety of strategies for each race. In the single player campaign you collect a wide range of elites that can be levelled up—an attempt to emulate the pleasure of collecting and building armies in the tabletop game. Elites can be individual heroes, crack units such as Assault Terminators, or super units.

For multiplayer, inspired by Dota's hero selection phase, Relic designers are considering an element of pick and counter-pick to the pre-battle screen, though they're yet to show exactly how this will work.

For Warhammer fans, units shown included Tactical Marines (with optional plasma weapon/flamethrower upgrades), Devastator Squads with lascannons, Dreadnoughts, Assault Marines, Gabriel Angelos, the Imperial Knight. On the Eldar side there were Guardians, Howling Banshees, Wraithguard, Falcons and Jetbikes. Unit upgrades give these line squads some tactical variation. Plasma weapons allow Tactical Marines to do more damage when stationary, but they they take the flamethrower instead they can lock down territory with fiery area-of-effect damage.

Super units are the series' biggest yet

Let's focus on the Imperial Knight for a moment. This huge walker is the biggest unit Relic has ever made. It has gatling cannons for arms and you can target missile bombardments from its back-mounted rocket launcher. Sometimes, when it gets very grumpy, it overheats and starts spewing fire out of its exhaust pipes. During this phase the gatling cannons glow white hot, the unit does more damage, and its bombardments create additional pools of burning flame on impact. It's ace.

Elite units like the Knight have special abilities, bringing some of Dawn of War 2's tactical micromanagement into Dawn of War 3. The knight has a sweeping gatling cannon attack that can deal massive damage to a forward arc, and the bombardment missiles can be individually placed, allowing you to scatter damage across the enemy line or focus in on one high-value target.

You can fire a giant orbital laser cannon

This is the Space Marine super ability. It calls a massive beam of death from the Dauntless battle cruiser orbiting the planet. Once the beam hits, you right-click to move it around. The more enemies it kills, the fatter, slower and deadlier it becomes, because that is how lasers work in Warhammer 40,000. Enemies caught in the laser are lifted upwards for a moment before they glow white hot and dissolve into ash.

A new cover system

Relic RTS games tend to have complex terrain with lots of medium and strong cover zones. The system has been simplified in Dawn of War 3 to allow for clearer counter-play. Cover in the demo I saw consisted of circular barricade structures that units can capture. Units in cover are resistant to ranged fire, but can be quickly eliminated by close-combat squads.

The change makes Dawn of War 3's big, chaotic battlefields easier to parse, and gives melee units an important role as siege-breakers. If you see an enemy heavy weapons team in cover, jump your Assault Marines in and watch them carve up the enemy squad with roaring chainswords.

====================================================

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59448 Posts

I really enjoyed co-op in DOW2.

The dlc barrage (especially with COH 2) was horrific. I'm weary they will go beyond even that.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

OH... MY... GOD. This is amazing birthday present (one day early actually). Please bring back base building.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Dawn of War FPS incoming (I hope not).

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_master_race
@pelvist said:

if it turns out to be something other DOW3 , I'll be so ANGRY

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Excellent :)

Hopefully they'll bring back base building and go large scale and by large I mean Epic. I want Titans, Gargants and Baneblade squadrons.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#7 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Hopefully they'll bring back base building and go large scale and by large I mean Epic. I want Titans, Gargants and Baneblade squadrons.

if this is another Relic game most of that is unlikely.

they are about small scale tactics which personally I am a huge fan of.

I'd be happy with something similar to DoW 2 but with the improvements to multiplayer servers in CoH 2.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GarGx1

@with_teeth26 said:
@GarGx1 said:

I'd be happy with something similar to DoW 2 but with the improvements to multiplayer servers in CoH 2.

I know but I can always hope. :)

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@GarGx1 said:

Keep Relic doing the small scale tactical stuff. I love me some DoW but I would be all over a 40K Total War.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4588 Posts

Now that is exciting news. Relic are amongst my favorite developers and i really enjoyed both the CoH series as well as the DoW series. Count me as hyped. Some serious Warhammer games coming out this year.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@GarGx1 said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@GarGx1 said:

Believe

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46688 Posts

@pelvist said:

They made a FPS from an RTS once. Command and Conquer: Renegade.

It was a generally disliked game, but I rather liked it. Neat setting and you could drive vehicles.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25147 Posts
@pelvist said:

Warhammer is such a great universe for FPS. thats why im excited for space hulk deathwing.

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#14 Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

OH... MY... GOD. This is amazing birthday present (one day early actually). Please bring back base building.

Oh heck yes!!

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#15 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Man, I'm hyped as hell! Please be an RTS. Dawn of War 1 was my favorite RTS of all time.

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

@remiks00 said:

Man, I'm hyped as hell! Please be an RTS. Dawn of War 1 was my favorite RTS of all time.

I also hope it's more like DoW1 and not like DoW2. I just can't really enjoy RTS' without base building.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44715 Posts

I loved the first Dawn of War, it was my introduction to the WH40K world and made me love the potential of what could be the WH40K universe could be.

I wanted to play Dawn of War II for years and years but my PC couldn't play it, when I finally got to one that could I was so disappointed that the game transformed into an RTS light style game with cookie cutter auto generated missions. I sure hope the next one isn't so cheap. What's even more sad is the game's universal praise after they pulled that shit, can't believe more people weren't upset by it.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 with_teeth26

@lamprey263 said:

I loved the first Dawn of War, it was my introduction to the WH40K world and made me love the potential of what could be the WH40K universe could be.

I wanted to play Dawn of War II for years and years but my PC couldn't play it, when I finally got to one that could I was so disappointed that the game transformed into an RTS light style game with cookie cutter auto generated missions. I sure hope the next one isn't so cheap. What's even more sad is the game's universal praise after they pulled that shit, can't believe more people weren't upset by it.

DoW II's multiplayer was kinda amazing.

I'll go against the popular opinion here and say I don't want base building back. If its in the game it'll be super basic like in CoH 2 where buildings only exist as a resource drain/teching mechanic. I'd rather spend all my attention on micro-managing units on the battlefield

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59448 Posts

IKept like DOW2 but with Total Wars card selection pre-match (without screwing it up with dlc which is undoubtedly going to happen) might b gud.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

I really want a new DoW in line with the original.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

whats with the sudden increase in warhammer titles recently? its like all these developers planned on announcing/releasing these titles within months of each other.

Not that i'm complaining or anything,but did something happen recently with the IP?

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

@lawlessx: Games Workshop realised couple of years ago that there is a LOT OF MONEY to be made from computer games. So they are like hormone-induced teens just discovering sex.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

More SPESS MEHRENS!!!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Yep Dawn of War 3

Loading Video...

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_master_race
@lostrib said:

Yep Dawn of War 3

Loading Video...

... dayum

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cloud_imperium

Holy Sh*t. Motherfraking Dawn of War 3!!!!????? Awwww Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

I'm pumped!

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_master_race

total warhammer , death-wing , Battlefleet Gothic: Armada and now Dawn of War III .... couldn't ask for more

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 with_teeth26

so it looks like Orcs, Eldar and Space Marines.

My most played games on steam are Company of Heroes 2 and DoW II so this is kind of a big deal

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cloud_imperium

@the_master_race said:

total warhammer , death-wing , Battlefleet Gothic: Armada and now Dawn of War III .... couldn't ask for more

How's campaign of Battlefleet: Gothic Armada?

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_master_race

@mjorh

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#32 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Omg, DAY Freakin 1!!!

I even brought out the old games for old times sake :P

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_master_race
@Cloud_imperium said:
@the_master_race said:

haven't played it yet since I'm so busy with DS3 & Stardew Valley but I heard it's solid , you can play as imperial faction

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 with_teeth26

oh god damnit reading the updated info from PC Gamer and it sounds like they are turning this into fucking Starcraft. Bigger battles with a simplified cover system? Reduced detail?

we already have Total Warhammer for the large scale stuff. They better at least keep the destructible environments, suppression mechanics and make it so armour can only be damaged by certain weapons. I personally have a hard time going back to traditional RTS games after getting used to the type of RTS Relic have been making since CoH 1, and it sounds like they are going in that direction.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Bloody hell that was quite the trailer.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Looks epic but I was hoping for a DoW2 style squad based gameplay .

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GarGx1

I taut I taw a Titan.... I did, I did taw a Titan!

Well almost Knights are definitely a step in the right direction. That trailer has really made my day, all I need now is for them to add Imperial Guard, even if it's DLC, and I'm sorted.

@with_teeth26: I guess I've been shouting louder than you have.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

That trailer is probably the best non gameplay trailer I've ever seen.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

... They would never do that.... The kind of scale your talking about is a scale greater than the Total War games.. When there is stuff like Titans and Gargants on the battlefield, we are talking about conflicts of millions upon millions on a single planet if not multi planet systems.. Relic deals with small squad based combat rts's.. The kind of thing your asking is something on the Total War scale and beyond..

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By with_teeth26

@GarGx1 said:

I taut I taw a Titan.... I did, I did taw a Titan!

Well almost Knights are definitely a step in the right direction. That trailer has really made my day, all I need now is for them to add Imperial Guard, even if it's DLC, and I'm sorted.

@with_teeth26: I guess I've been shouting louder than you have.

maybe if I start bitching now there is hope for Dawn of War IV

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

Hmm, wonder why they are only doing 3 races? I mean the original DOW had 4.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:
@lamprey263 said:

DoW II's multiplayer was kinda amazing.

I'll go against the popular opinion here and say I don't want base building back. If its in the game it'll be super basic like in CoH 2 where buildings only exist as a resource drain/teching mechanic. I'd rather spend all my attention on micro-managing units on the battlefield

... Yep exactly.. I don't get people's obsession with base building, to me I really think the people who complained about this were novice rts fans who basically wanted to turtle the entire game until they built a force large enough to wipe the entire map out.. Dawn of War 2's multiplayer was far deeper with far more choice than the first ones, not to mention it was incredibly unpredictable in many ways due to how the hero choice could affect your game completely on top of race.. Not to mention the idea of base building completely goes against the lore and idea of Warhammer 40k..

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GarGx1

@Cloud_imperium said:
@the_master_race said:

It's pretty good, I'm about half way through Chapter 4. You play as a an Imperial Navy Admiral with the usual gain experience and you get access to bigger ships. Starting with a single Light Cruiser and gradually adding more and larger ships the your fleet. I haven't actually had enough points in any missions to use all my ships on the field at once, so you have to balance the ships you use, depending the mission requirements.

The missions vary from planetary bombardment to a straight up fleet engagement and can get a little samey. The Data Recovery missions can be frustrating but can be over come with a little practice and some careful positioning of your ships and how you use their abilities. It's also heavy on micro-management of your ships as well. A difficult game that a lot of people may find too hard but I'd say it's a good game and definitely worth a hurl if you want a challenge.

Best bit of advice I could give anyone for this game is save it before the start of every mission.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Yeh this is f*cking huge of an announcement. PC gaming is really killing it this consol Gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

I never thought a cinematic trailer could hit me this hard. Let's hope they can bring this tone over to the actual game.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Yes please, my PC is ready !!!

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Cloud_imperium

@GarGx1 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@the_master_race said:

It's pretty good, I'm about half way through Chapter 4. You play as a an Imperial Navy Admiral with the usual gain experience and you get access to bigger ships. Starting with a single Light Cruiser and gradually adding more and larger ships the your fleet. I haven't actually had enough points in any missions to use all my ships on the field at once, so you have to balance the ships you use, depending the mission requirements.

The missions vary from planetary bombardment to a straight up fleet engagement and can get a little samey. The Data Recovery missions can be frustrating but can be over come with a little practice and some careful positioning of your ships and how you use their abilities. It's also heavy on micro-management of your ships as well. A difficult game that a lot of people may find too hard but I'd say it's a good game and definitely worth a hurl if you want a challenge.

Best bit of advice I could give anyone for this game is save it before the start of every mission.

Sounds good. Will definitely pick it up in the near future.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@the_master_race said:

I'm playing Mordheim and having saves instead of just autosaves would be nice, that game is brutal. Thinking of starting Armada tonight.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GarGx1

@sSubZerOo said:
@GarGx1 said:

... They would never do that.... The kind of scale your talking about is a scale greater than the Total War games.. When there is stuff like Titans and Gargants on the battlefield, we are talking about conflicts of millions upon millions on a single planet if not multi planet systems.. Relic deals with small squad based combat rts's.. The kind of thing your asking is something on the Total War scale and beyond..

Much bigger than Total War and far bigger than a normal Relic RTS, more like Supreme Commander scale, at the very least. They are adding Knights so I'm somewhat appeased.

For the sake of scale and for those who are thinking wtf are you blabbering about

These are Knights

and these are Titans. The Knights would be able to walk under the Warhounds (the smallest Titans on the right)

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#50 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49605 Posts

This is amazing news!