DF Direct Special: deep dive into Starfield!

• 52 results
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

Keynotes breakdown:

• 30fps for Xbox Series (X/S) was a creative decision to give the game the best look according to Todd Howard. Having a performance mode would cut back on the game’s intended look. PC however can go above and beyond that. Using Motion Blur does help to mask 30fps to give it an edge for smoothness for Xbox Series.
  • Comparing Starfield to Star Citizen is a fair comparison as it does feel more towards Star Citizen is due to the CPU being more taxing.
  • Global Illumination while using real-time hints there's raytracing and the visuals for what Bethesda is going for is based on NASA style throughout the game. (Always love some NASA punk-style for me that is)
  • Character Creation/Animation is very uncanny and looks like from last-gen (if not, 7th-gen) but not a deal breaker as Bethesda has never been into more detailed models such as Horizon games.
  • Both John & Alex agree the gunplay/combat-wise was impressive, it puts Farcry to shame, to say the least as well the interface is clean.

(Will add more details later if needed)

The breakdown was good for the most part and I will admit, this is Bethesda's finest work for a new IP but still, bugs are to be expected and not gonna sugarcoat it here, wait for reviews before buying (or Game Passing it) but I'm pretty much there day one on Steam.

(This is a DF breakdown for those who like deep coverage tech, not your average Starfield threads we have here)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

The old Bethesda cycle

Day 2

1. Wow this is the best thing ever!

Week 2

2. This is overated

Month 3

3. This is shit, Bethesda suck never buying their games again

(buys game again)

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gotgames
Member since 2022 • 476 Posts

Guys we are so stupid, all this time games that had bad performance crappy gameplay was creative decisions by developers. Redfall is 10/10 for creative decisions. DF praised Fable a CGI trailer like it was all gameplay.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44546 Posts

Cool. Will have to check this out later. I’m very hyped for Starfield myself. Loved what I saw and heard in the showcase of it recently.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Archangel3371 said:

Cool. Will have to check this out later. I’m very hyped for Starfield myself. Loved what I saw and heard in the showcase of it recently.

Same here. Bethesda has never rubbed me the wrong way on their games so I'm all on board for Starfield day one purchase on Steam. Not hype but looking forward to it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Archangel3371

@davillain: Yeah, I’ve always very much enjoyed their stuff for the most part as well. Had a great time playing through Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and 4. Expecting to do so with Starfield as well.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 7059 Posts

I'm interested in the game but why the **** do they struggle with character model's?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70402 Posts

Starfield is looking promising

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I like the gunplay in this, wish I was an Xbox person. I'm going to have to miss out on this.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

The old Bethesda cycle

Day 2

Week 2

2. This is overated

Month 3

(buys game again)

Doubtful, going on Steam Skyrim has over 23.000 people playing, which is more than many new releases.

It's also one of the most modded games of all time - putting aside Bethesda tried to monetise that for a second - which shows that the people playing are passionate and love these games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@Pedro said:

Starfield is looking promising

I wanna go to that one planet where I can swim in the tears of Playstation gamers.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50664 Posts

Hopefully we get some real in depth previews of the games that go through a couple hours.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

The old Bethesda cycle

Day 2

Week 2

2. This is overated

Month 3

(buys game again)

Doubtful, going on Steam Skyrim has over 23.000 people playing, which is more than many new releases.

It's also one of the most modded games of all time - putting aside Bethesda tried to monetise that for a second - which shows that the people playing are passionate and love these games.

It's played because of the mods.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#14  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17909 Posts
@TheHighWind said:

I like the gunplay in this, wish I was an Xbox person. I'm going to have to miss out on this.

Loading Video...

Sounds like a good opportunity to get into PC gaming. You will get superior versions of those Xbox games.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

The Starfield hype is REAL.

I remember when cows used angry Joe as a source to bash Xbox....

I'll stoop to your low level just for a second and advise you to check his reaction to the Xbox show inc Starfield deep dive.....if you are the cow/cows using YouTubers as a source then Id advise you no to watch.....it's hype all the way.

Now back out of the bottom of the barrel 🤣

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1215 Posts

@davillain said:
Loading Video...

Keynotes breakdown:

• 30fps for Xbox Series (X/S) was a creative decision to give the game the best look according to Todd Howard. Having a performance mode would cut back on the game’s intended look. PC however can go above and beyond that. Using Motion Blur does help to mask 30fps to give it an edge for smoothness for Xbox Series.
  • Comparing Starfield to Star Citizen is a fair comparison as it does feel more towards Star Citizen is due to the CPU being more taxing.
  • Global Illumination while using real-time hints there's raytracing and the visuals for what Bethesda is going for is based on NASA style throughout the game. (Always love some NASA punk-style for me that is)
  • Character Creation/Animation is very uncanny and looks like from last-gen (if not, 7th-gen) but not a deal breaker as Bethesda has never been into more detailed models such as Horizon games.
  • Both John & Alex agree the gunplay/combat-wise was impressive, it puts Farcry to shame, to say the least as well the interface is clean.

The breakdown was good for the most part and I will admit, this is Bethesda's finest work for a new IP but still, bugs are to be expected and not gonna sugarcoat it here, wait for reviews before buying (or Game Passing it) but I'm pretty much there day one on Steam.

(This is a DF breakdown for those who like deep coverage tech, not your average Starfield threads we have here)

Bet it would be higher than 1296p on XSX if there is no XSS.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BassMan
@loudheadphones said:
@davillain said:
Loading Video...

Keynotes breakdown:

Bet it would be higher than 1296p on XSX if there is no XSS.

That makes no sense. How is the S holding back the resolution of the X?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator

@BassMan: Probably he's talking about the developers saying most games are being held-back by Xbox Series S. Some is, some isn't. I doubt that will be the case for Xbox Series S as Bethesda been working on just one current-gen console this whole time.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1010 Posts

It's looking pretty good to me, I look forward to sinking some hours into this, Forza, and Elden Ring DLC.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Archangel3371

Good video. 👍

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3066 Posts

Looking forward to playing it. I bought my series X just for starfield and halo. I think I'll just sell my series X and build a pc. I dont want to play this at 30 fps

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6718 Posts

@TheHighWind: You don't have to be an "Xbox person" to own one, I'm not a "PS person" but still own all Sony's consoles (except PS5) and whatever you do don't listen to bassman as he'll have you spending 5k for a beast PC only to play mostly Indies and to brag on SW 🤣

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11704 Posts

@TheHighWind: Get a PC.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

Imagine the amount of mods this game will have. Holy f*ck!

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12067 Posts

Biggest decision is 1st or 3rd person play through.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BassMan
@last_lap said:

@TheHighWind: You don't have to be an "Xbox person" to own one, I'm not a "PS person" but still own all Sony's consoles (except PS5) and whatever you do don't listen to bassman as he'll have you spending 5k for a beast PC only to play mostly Indies and to brag on SW 🤣

$5K... LOL

You can build a top of the line gaming PC for under $3K...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YpGWVw

That is way overkill for most people and you can spend a lot less (especially the GPU) for a good gaming PC that will still destroy the consoles.

Also, I play all types of games from the most demanding AAA games to potato indie games. The whole point of having a good PC is that you don't have to worry about quality. You just get to enjoy the games without having to deal with shit frame rates and other limitations forced on you by developers and weak console hardware.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Last_Lap

@BassMan: So your PC is a measly 3k, geez not the hermit you make yourself out to be.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BassMan
@last_lap said:

@BassMan: So your PC is a measly 3k, geez not the hermit you make yourself out to be.

That is not my PC. It is actually better for gaming than mine. It has a 7800X3D CPU and I have a 5950X. 5950X is still good for gaming and better for productivity. You don't need the best or have to spend crazy money to have a good gaming PC. That is the point, regardless of your trolling efforts.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 14011 Posts

From what I can tell, it hates Mondays but loves lasagna.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Last_Lap

@BassMan: That's the thing I'm not trolling, but it appears you have been all this time.

You claim to be this great high & mighty hermit posting those PC memes, the ones where you look down on dirty console "peasents" and all along you're not even running with the best parts for your Frankenstein PC, what a let down.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BassMan
@last_lap said:

@BassMan: That's the thing I'm not trolling, but it appears you have been all this time.

You claim to be this great high & mighty hermit posting those PC memes, the ones where you look down on dirty console "peasents" and all along you're not even running with the best parts for your Frankenstein PC, what a let down.

I guess I am just slumming it with my 5950X and 4090 combo.

It's OK, you can watch me play Starfield at over 60fps on PC.
It's OK, you can watch me play Starfield at over 60fps on PC.
Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Last_Lap

@BassMan: I don't watch people play games, and certainly not people with below best parts for their Frankenstein.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By simple-facts

Please show some consideration for cows when talking about Starfield 4k-30. Or 4k-60 and above,these guys will be getting 0k-0fps and watching theradbrad on youtube

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts
@simple-facts said:

Please show some consideration for cows when talking about Starfield 4k-30. Or 4k-60 and above,these guys will be getting 0k-0fps and watching theradbrad on youtube

It's not even 4K; Digital Foundry analyzed footage of the Xbox Series X version in play and found that the internal resolution was about 1296p, which was upscaled to 4K.

In other words, it is 1296p/30fps, and even that 30fps is not stable.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

:P

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 simple-facts

@st_monica:

It's not the final build,...truth.

Upscaled 4k or true 4k it looks good....truth.

It's 0k-Ofps on PlayStation

Simple facts

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro

This game got some folks bitter and it is not even an exclusive game.😂

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

@Pedro: That's what's weird. Even if you didn't have a PC that could run this, you could stream it. This exclusive war thing is boring now. It's become a playstation vs MS thing. On that same note, I guess you can stream most playstation exclusives on PC also. (Unless that's changed with PS Now merging?)

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13105 Posts

@BassMan said:
@last_lap said:

$5K... LOL

You can build a top of the line gaming PC for under $3K...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YpGWVw

That is way overkill for most people and you can spend a lot less (especially the GPU) for a good gaming PC that will still destroy the consoles.

Also, I play all types of games from the most demanding AAA games to potato indie games. The whole point of having a good PC is that you don't have to worry about quality. You just get to enjoy the games without having to deal with shit frame rates and other limitations forced on you by developers and weak console hardware.

No keyboard? No mouse? No controller? No OS? No dice.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50664 Posts

So... not even 4k...and still only 30fps lol

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro

@kvallyx:And you have to assemble it all yourself despite paying $3,500. Meanwhile console gamers pay 1/7th the price or less to plug and play.🤷🏽‍♀️

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

lol :P

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KvallyX

@Pedro said:

@kvallyx:And you have to assemble it all yourself despite paying $3,500. Meanwhile console gamers pay 1/7th the price or less to plug and play.🤷🏽‍♀️

But you can use Excel on PC!

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Have you heard the rumors how Bethesda is going to change their modding policy? Apparently, they are going to create a "market place" where modders can sell their mods. Not sure how it's going to differ from the failed "creation club", though. But, rumors are that this will be a way for modders who are making things like "Skyblivion" to sell the mod to everyone, including console gamers.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KvallyX

@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

Have you heard the rumors how Bethesda is going to change their modding policy? Apparently, they are going to create a "market place" where modders can sell their mods. Not sure how it's going to differ from the failed "creation club", though. But, rumors are that this will be a way for modders who are making things like "Skyblivion" to sell the mod to everyone, including console gamers.

How does Microsoft certify the mods for console owners?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

I only see this happening on consoles. No way this becomes the only way to get mods on pc.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

How does Microsoft certify the mods for console owners?

I am not 100% sure. I know there is a file size limitation, and Bethesda does make sure mods do not violate the game rating. Other than that, I think anything goes.

This new marketplace is supposed to lift the file size issue, for instance.

@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

I only see this happening on consoles. No way this becomes the only way to get mods on pc.

I would assume you could still use unregistered/approved mods on PC - not sure how Bethesda would lock that down.