SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45327 Posts

This week the upcoming XSX refresh leaked, but there was no mention of the hardware being more powerful than the original XSX.It was more of a "slim" than a "Pro". But that got me thinking 🤔 would you rather have a Pro at this point or just wait for the next gen? The current consoles are still pretty capable. With that said, if they do come out with one, I would still be interested. How about you, SW?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Last_Lap  Online
Member since 2023 • 6440 Posts

No.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61520 Posts

Nah. Rather a new gen a couple years earlier than if they release pro models.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70024 Posts

Nope!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44361 Posts

No, not really. Rather just wait for next gen.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 959 Posts

Consumes have a XSX, XSS, Switch, "Switch 2" in the works, PS5, Steam Deck, ROG Ally and PC. Developers have enough systems to develop for. Don't need anymore.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 851 Posts

No thanks. 8K TVs are not exactly flying off store shelves, so there is little incentive for these upgraded consoles to be produced.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

Nope, not interested in PS5 Pro at all. All I really want is a Slim model at this point. Let's just go straight to PS6 at this point.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

I do. I like the extra power of Pro/Xbox one X. Still, I doubt dev could do a lot other than better looking games graphically as all console models will be hampered by the awful last gen Xbox Series S.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

Never cared about PS5/XSX, don't care about Pro models either.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

Nah. Seems like developers are only just starting to push the current hardware, and we're already about half-way through the generation.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

I think it would be better for them to save their resources for next gen. No need for a PS5 pro, regular PS5 is good enough and developers are just now starting to use it right. Last gen it made more sense, more people were buying 4k hdr TV's so it made sense. A lot of the games were patched for 4k and hdr. Current gen games are are already doing hdr and 4k. I can't speak for Xbox also, they aren't selling many consoles. They might make a pro Xbox console just to be cute. But even if they do I don't think it's enough to outsell Sony or Nintendo.

Qui-Gon-Milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Qui-Gon-Milk
Member since 2022 • 182 Posts

These consoles are half-assed and should just wait for the next gen of consoles to roll out. When Final Fantasy XVI struggles to hit 60 in performance mode with dips into the 720p resolution? That's rough...Starfield and Redfall at 30 frames? Oof...lol. I'll stick to PC

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39421 Posts

As i've said many times before, it all depends on what they consider as an "upgrade". We've only got a Pro version of a system once, and that was last gen. From the second the specs were announced, all i could do is laugh at what they were considering as an "upgrade", and obviously skipped the PS4 Pro, and never even considered getting it.

But if Sony were to announce later this year that in Spring 2024 we're getting a 23tflops PS5 Pro with newer gen gpu AND cpu, i'd be all over it. And why the hell not? You Ebay your ps5, get a very good chunk on change just from selling your current system, add a couple hundreds bucks, and you get a massive upgrade. Really am not seeing any issues here. But the problem is, is that we will not see these kind of upgrades. Instead, if Sony was to release a PS5Pro, it'd be some dogwater 15tflops system that runs 98% of games at the exact same graphical settings, but is able to handle more titles in 4k. That is NOT an upgrade to me. I want to feel a proper boost of frames, resolution and graphical settings, not some welfare resolution boost going from 1200p to 1800p.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#15  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1181 Posts

I cannot afford one, so no not interested. If I were rolling in money, sure I would buy one for the extra FPS in games.

I could also give my PS5 away, someone would be very happy with it.

I loved my PS4 Pro so I have a positive experience with a Pro model.

I think they should concentrate on PS5 and VR though and not a Pro version.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9582 Posts

Day one for PS5 pro and I highly doubt Xbox will compete for the power title mid gen because the series S is going to hold it back and they would have to stop supporting that console after promising it wouldn't get all next gen games. Seeing as though like 70 to 80 percent of people on Xbox have the S that would be financial suicide. They shot themselves in the foot trying to get the price down by skimping on power and longevity.

At some point in time I either expect MS to leave the hardware side of things for Xbox or to release an upgradeable console like a PC that has complete libraries for both PC and Xbox.

SONY might eventually get to that point as well, but I feel as though they are at least still one more generation away from considering the changes where as I almost expect MS's next console to be a hybrid PC.

It is highly likely that MS will launch its own PC launcher that supports PC games like Steam and is integrated with Ganepass. Honestly I, kind of surprised they haven't already done that or we haven't heard any leaks. It's only a matter of time.

When that happens I'll actually have a reason to get another Xbox, but until then it's just PS5 Pro and Switch 2.

Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if MS's next console was a handheld hybrid with a lot more power while docked, that way they could incorporate melding the two more seamlessly like a Steam Deck or ROG Ally. However it's a lot more likely they will just sell a handheld device like SONY... but if they're smart it won't need the Xbox but can sync with it.

Of course I'm just guessing on these things, but it's the direction the industry is heading, and I doubt it would be all that difficult for MS to make their own launcher and it should be easy to get support.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WitIsWisdom

@strategyfn: Yeah, when I get the PS5 Pro I'm probably going to send my old PS5 to an online buddy in the UK.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16580 Posts

No on xsx pro...it's not really an upgrade plus I'm happy with my X. And lol at ps5 pro... let me know when bore station actually gets some games...yawn

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1127 Posts

I feel like a pro refresh provides a great point for owners of one console to dip into the other; basically if you upgrade a console you already have, you merely have the games you already had access to with a slight upgrade. Also, if you just buy the other console without an upgrade, you merely just get the difference in the library. A Series X pro/PS5 pro would be the best value for a ps5 owner to get a series X pro or a series X owner to get a ps5 pro as you simultaneously get the thrill of better graphics and new games.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts
@sakaixx said:

I do. I like the extra power of Pro/Xbox one X. Still, I doubt dev could do a lot other than better looking games graphically as all console models will be hampered by the awful last gen Xbox Series S.

I don't think the S is hampering things as much as people think. The PS5/Series X are equivalent to mid tier PC hardware. Their is also the fact that all of the current gen consoles are terrible at raytracing which is why you see a lot of games with poor performance lately on those consoles.

I really don't think a pro console is needed right now. Both the X and PS5 are still not in the affordable range for a lot of people in some countries right now.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WitIsWisdom

Honestly I feel like the PS5 and XSX have just been placeholders and more of a 2nd refresh from last gen. Since games will be on next gen consoles only starting with the refreshes this time around it should actually feel like a new generation since we will actually get some damn games designed to play on the stronger hardware.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16023 Posts

I would probably buy a PS5 Pro if Spider-Man 2 turns out to be good.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

I'm not bothered by 8k I won't have a TV capable of getting the most out of a pro system.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hardwenzen

@robert_sparkes said:

I'm not bothered by 8k I won't have a TV capable of getting the most out of a pro system.

Current systems have trouble running games in 1440p (especially in 2023), and you think a Pro system will all of a sudden be running in 8k, so a matching tv is desirable?

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

@qui-gon-milk:

I think that's more of a issue with developers not doing their job not the console.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts

If they come out with one I’ll upgrade but I’m not craving it. Last gen TVs switched from 1080p to 4K and that’s why we got mid gen upgrades. I don’t see a valid reason like that this time but we’ll see if it was a one off or not.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

If my options are to wait til 2028 for the next console or get a Pro in 2024, I'm definitely getting a Pro model. Every lem in here is gonna say they don't want a Pro model because they know their uncle Phil said nope, series S is just fine. More options are good, right Lems?

I get a new phone every 3 years or so, so I don't mind spending another $500 on a console. 8 years is way too long to wait.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2255 Posts

Nahhh already have a ps5 I hardly ever use, so unless it’s some monster of unseen proportions like hardwarezen suggest, then I’ll happy stay on pc!

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8500 Posts

Wait, TC is asking for an upgrade? Didn't he kept harping about how consoles have caught up with PC and he doesn't care about 'minuscule' differences? Oh well, seems like sub 720p/sub 30FPS isn't 'minuscule'.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

@super600 said:
@sakaixx said:

I don't think the S is hampering things as much as people think. The PS5/Series X are equivalent to mid tier PC hardware. Their is also the fact that all of the current gen consoles are terrible at raytracing which is why you see a lot of games with poor performance lately on those consoles.

I really don't think a pro console is needed right now. Both the X and PS5 are still not in the affordable range for a lot of people in some countries right now.

Considering the pace of PS5 selling right now I have to disagree. some countries yeah may be a bit tight but those also not the main markets for Sony or Xbox. What important is marketshares in high income countries that could afford the hobby.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46493 Posts

Heck no, the people saying that PS5 and Xbox Series consoles aren't powerul enough are just making excuses for developers lacking good optimization skills.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34699 Posts

I don't want a PS anything, and I think releasing slightly more powerful hardware in the same gen is dumb, and even dumber to pay for it.

Was releasing a console that gets games made for said console for around 5 years a bad system? Do we really need 3 consoles per company, per gen? Why not just PC game if slightly upgrading often is your thing?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 robert_sparkes

Think ms might rethink their strategy and release a pro system now it's clear Sony plan to. Phil Spencer did say last gen that we won't sacrifice power for anything.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1336 Posts

Scalpers do!

Me i want developers to be forced into a performance mode or consoles lean more on the pc's low,medium,high,ultra pre-set options,be it 720/120(low),1080/60-120(med),1440/60(high),4k-dynamic 4k/30-60(ultra)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Nope, devs have yet to fully utilize the SuperMighty XSX MonsterBox. lol :P

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 1142 Posts

This is a difficult question to answer when we don't know the specs of an upgraded console or the price. On the dev side I would say we don't need another target spec. On the consumer side, there is an enthusiast market segment that will want it. On the first party side there's the prestige of having the spec. People in forums try to argue that performance differences between PS5 and XSX are important, so this is a console for these people.

As for me, I am looking to buy another console and the upcoming Pro model is making me wait and see. For now I am going through games on my Steam Deck because I can't get much time on our current gen consoles.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 robert_sparkes

The ps5 pro specs will be interesting to see how they improve performance on the system.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 514 Posts

I'm not interested personally. I remember after getting a PS4 Pro the base model had issues with performance since the pro model was the new standard, same with the series S now.

I think seeing as how consoles have had issues running newer games this year they could use a power boost, but the entire point of getting a console is to sacrifice performance for a cheaper price. If someone is going to spend $500 for a base model, another $500 for a Pro model, and another $500 for the price of PS+ online fees for the generation, you're effectively spending $1500 for a relevant console in one gen. At that point I'd rather just spend $1500 on a PC because you're not cutting cost for performance.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2588 Posts

I’ll buy whatever “pro” consoles comes out. Especially now that we know consoles aren’t coming before 2028. I need more frames and higher resolutions. And the gap between consoles and PC really blew open the last couple years.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17853 Posts

No. They were pointless last gen. They would be pointless this gen. Devs just need to get better at making the most of the resources available to them (and try to keep costs under control somewhat).

Personally I don't want to see a pro console or a PS6/Xlinear?X until such time that they can deliver full path tracing (as in 1600P native internal Fully path traced at 60FPS in CP2077) in a box for 500 bucks. It should be able to run Portal RTX in it's sleep.

A proper technical shift. A more comprehensive technical leap.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen

@osan0 said:

No. They were pointless last gen. They would be pointless this gen. Devs just need to get better at making the most of the resources available to them (and try to keep costs under control somewhat).

Personally I don't want to see a pro console or a PS6/Xlinear?X until such time that they can deliver full path tracing (as in 1600P native internal Fully path traced at 60FPS in CP2077) in a box for 500 bucks. It should be able to run Portal RTX in it's sleep.

A proper technical shift. A more comprehensive technical leap.

And until that happens, you will be playing in the exact same settings as a ps4 in 2019 - Medium-Ultra Low graphical settings and 17-30fps. No thanks.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4580 Posts

No. I want them to focus on making games for the hardware they have on the market. They have both been lackluster in that regard.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

My disappointment for this current generation is astounding. It started off strong with the Demon Souls Remake, then it just went downhill from there in terms of graphical power and framerate. Why is it that a remake looks better than every other game that's currently on the PS5? The buzzword "raytracing" is either unnoticeable or not even being used for most games.

At this point, I would not be interested in a Pro version. I'm either going to wait for next gen or end up going PC, which I have been contemplating the past two years.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GirlUSoCrazy  Online

@mycatismilk: There might be diminishing returns in 3D games. I remember from PS3/360 to PS4/One, people were saying there wasn't much of a difference and that we might not even need new consoles. Even developers were caught off guard and even looked negatively at the idea of new consoles, but PS4/One hardware took off.

There is more to game logic than just graphics, such as more complex physics, interactions, particles, non-player behavior, more complex animation both for characters and the environment. Many things require CPU/GPU power that doesn't show in a screenshot, but still enhances the game.

Look up "2011 we don't need new consoles" and you'll see many in gaming that thought it was fine to stick with PS3/360, but later people were saying "That looks like a PS3/360 game" in a negative way.

Maybe you won't feel the difference, like looking at yourself each day in the mirror, but there are important improvements that people end up noticing and that developers can appreciate.

All the best in figuring out what you want to do next.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MyCatIsMilk
@girlusocrazy said:

@mycatismilk: There might be diminishing returns in 3D games. I remember from PS3/360 to PS4/One, people were saying there wasn't much of a difference and that we might not even need new consoles. Even developers were caught off guard and even looked negatively at the idea of new consoles, but PS4/One hardware took off.

There is more to game logic than just graphics, such as more complex physics, interactions, particles, non-player behavior, more complex animation both for characters and the environment. Many things require CPU/GPU power that doesn't show in a screenshot, but still enhances the game.

Look up "2011 we don't need new consoles" and you'll see many in gaming that thought it was fine to stick with PS3/360, but later people were saying "That looks like a PS3/360 game" in a negative way.

Maybe you won't feel the difference, like looking at yourself each day in the mirror, but there are important improvements that people end up noticing and that developers can appreciate.

All the best in figuring out what you want to do next.

I agree that gaming is more than graphics, as I mentioned that framerate is something I prefer. But as also mentioned, why is a Remake taking advantage of what the PS5 is capable of and other games seemingly are not? The only other one that maybe comes close is Ratchet & Clank: A Rift in Time, and perhaps RE4make. Though Demon Souls Remake has awesome physics, particle effects, graphical power, framerate, etc

Edit: And don't misunderstand, Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a game I keep going back to time and again because it's a very fun cooperative multiplayer game in my favorite film franchise, but it is not at all graphically impressive.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2047 Posts

Not really. But will definitely get the Pro and sell my old

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9876 Posts

Last gen I didn’t get a ps4, but went straight for the pro. My plan is to do the same this gen. When the pro comes out next year (I hope) there will be a very solid library. Gaming on PC atm instead

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy  Online

@mycatismilk: Fun is the most important thing. There are new games which are retro styled, but people enjoy them despite purposefully outdated graphics.

I think for remakes, there can be many reasons. The game logic is simple enough to run on earlier hardware, and compared to current games, was designed more conservatively. It takes up a fraction of the CPU/GPU that more ambitious current gen games do, leaving the rest of the hardware that can focus just on graphics. They don't have to spend as much time on game design, freeing up more staff to focus on the presentation aspect. It's a known quantity, so they already know how it will resonate with gamers. This confidence can let them justify a bigger budget.

It would be worth it for insiders to look at this issue more closely and give us more informed answers.

You mentioned moving to PC. There is always the possibility of using mods to enhance the presentation of the game, but this depends on the community support, some games are more locked down than others, and it depends how involved you want to get in installing/updating the mods and whether that conflicts with game updates, etc.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 robert_sparkes

They will release a pro and get remasters of ps5 games.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MyCatIsMilk

@girlusocrazy: I don't mind games that design the game from the ground up with retro styled graphics in mind, like Minecraft or other similar styled games. I would honestly developers go for more artistic approaches for their games instead of going for that "realistic" look. Pokémon is one game where I wish Nintendo would give them more freedom for the games art style, assuming Nintendo isn't giving them the freedom they need. Mario and Yoshi and Kirby get amazing art styles for their games, not always that same bland look, and I wish they did the same with Pokémon.

The move to PC is exactly for the reason of Mods. And also because of Steam. Lots of reasons to jump over there. :)