Even after remastered/Legendary edition, Mass effect still pretty bad?

• 55 results
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25063 Posts

Hello friends,

So I tried Mass effect legendary edition that is remastered. played the original ME2 version long ago bit of and didnot liked it. it was one of the most overrated franchise 7th gen along with witcher.

so recently I tried again legendary edition and once again I found game is still mediocre. Its actually confused if it want to be RPG or TPS as a result it end up being bad at both. when you are not in combat you are literally doing nothing and exploring citadel or space station is not fun at all. the squad AI is so bad but it want to be squad based TPS. combat some times suppose to be gears of war, or rainbow six vegas but failed at being even both.

only positive thing I have to say is Sci fi lore which I always like. and wish this lore/concept didnot wasted in mediocre TPS/RPG hybrid and used it in proper FPS or third person shooter that feel good.

I really cant see how come this series was so universally praised and acclaimed.

so my friends, what do you think? is mass effect series good? bad? overrated? lets discuss

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

I do not like it my freind.

Everyone talks like they are Mr. Spock. The facial animations are spooky. And the sex scenes are Team America but serious.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

I do not like it my freind.

Everyone talks like they are Mr. Spock. The facial animations are spooky. And the sex scenes are Team America but serious.

lot of 360/ps3 era games were so bad and now people feeling nostalgic over them.

mass effect is one of them.

btw you only played original one? or complete all of them??

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever: I play 1/2 my freind. Say no to 3.

Was silly boy, listened to critics "omg 2 best thing ever!"

It was all a lie.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

It was all a lie.

Deus Ex is better.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1484 Posts

ME1 has fanastic world building and it's really immersive, but even back then the combat was really bad and the game lacked polish.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1281 Posts

Gameplay-wise, yeah, not the best. 2 and 3 kinda made the gunplay better, but still eh. But, there's no other sci-fi series that's like mass effect that kinda rival star wars in terms of lore and worldbuilding, and that's the reason why I'm still hoping for a good comeback on the series.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34774 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

And the sex scenes are Team America but serious.

xD

So true.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44546 Posts

I loved it back when it first came out and loved the remastered Legendary Edition. Really enjoyed the storyline and found the gameplay to be enjoyable enough. Found it very immersive. The Mass Effect trilogy ranks pretty high on my all time favourite games list.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@Archangel3371 said:

I loved it back when it first came out and loved the remastered Legendary Edition. Really enjoyed the storyline and found the gameplay to be enjoyable enough. Found it very immersive. The Mass Effect trilogy ranks pretty high on my all time favourite games list.

you like every single game. you are too happy go lucky my friend. you can enjoy mass effect but gameplay enjoyable???

what is enjoyable there?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44546 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Wrong and wrong.

Yep, I found the gameplay in the Mass Effect games enjoyable enough. The gunplay was tight enough especially in 2 and 3 and the remastered first game. I also really enjoyed using the magic and tech powers in the game. Lead to some fun enemy encounters.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1283 Posts

It's an okay series. I've played them all once, save for the Andromeda. I have no interest revisiting them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

It was all a lie.

Deus Ex is better.

Dues Ex is jank my freind.

System Shock 2 and Thief are better immersion sims. They hold up.

Deus Ex is admirable, game for big brains, open-ended, Xfiles covid why contain it etc... but in practice it's jank.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22976 Posts

I played through the series again when the remastered games game out and thoroughly enjoyed them again. They feel like space operas and the gamer should go into them knowing narrative is equally represented alongside gunplay. As I get older I gravitate towards games that prioritize gameplay, but a good narrative gets me hook, line and sinker. Mass effects characters and story telling along side tactical choices in gameplay managing three characters skill sets on insanity runs was a major highlight of the Xbox generation and still feels great today.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Remastered? Was it, completed the first remastered one yesterday, struggled to notice much difference. Seemed like a lazy cash grab to me, the bugs still remain too, walking though the citadel is hideous.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts

So Ghost didn't like it when it came out stands to reason he wouldn't like it now. I enjoyed these games when they originally came out though.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever

@TheEroica said:

I played through the series again when the remastered games game out and thoroughly enjoyed them again. They feel like space operas and the gamer should go into them knowing narrative is equally represented alongside gunplay. As I get older I gravitate towards games that prioritize gameplay, but a good narrative gets me hook, line and sinker. Mass effects characters and story telling along side tactical choices in gameplay managing three characters skill sets on insanity runs was a major highlight of the Xbox generation and still feels great today.

I actually like its lore and universe thats why im playing it but gameplay is so bad.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ghosts4ever
@lamprey263 said:

So Ghost didn't like it when it came out stands to reason he wouldn't like it now. I enjoyed these games when they originally came out though.

its universe and lore wasted on mediocre TPS/RPG. either this should be nicely done pure TPS or should have been semi open FPS game.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

Didn't try the remaster, just couldn't do it with the original games. Those along with Jade Empire were the games that put me off of Bioware.

Sucks tho. I love some good Sci Fi. Can binge some Trek any day. The kind of dork who binges Youtube astronomy, astrophysics, particle physics, quantum mechanics, etc. Love anything space or related. Should be my kinda thing, but damn it that gameplay man.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ghosts4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:

Didn't try the remaster, just couldn't do it with the original games. Those along with Jade Empire were the games that put me off of Bioware.

Sucks tho. I love some good Sci Fi. Can binge some Trek any day. The kind of dork who binges Youtube astronomy, astrophysics, particle physics, quantum mechanics, etc. Love anything space or related. Should be my kinda thing, but damn it that gameplay man.

being RPG is cursed.

Witcher series have bad gameplay too but they are praised like second coming.

the PC gamers in 2007 praised the original witcher when they bash console games back then like it was good defence LOL!!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Yeah man I got suckered by The Witcher praise three times, which makes me the fool.

Both with 2 and 3 people were like "okay, well sure the previous one had poor gameplay, but now it's great!". Nope.

Obviously never expected Cyberpunk to be such a train wreck of a launch, but can safely say it was never on my radar as a potential buy.

I used to like a lot of RPGs. In fairness, can say a lot of the issue is that my own tastes changed. Though there's also an argument to be made that a lot of them have just gotten even worse.

At this point my favorite RPGs are hardly RPGs even in the loose gaming sense. SoulsBorne? Action adventure with stats. Nioh? Action game with stats.

Currently enjoying Tactics Ogre, but of course a tactical game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ghosts4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:

@ghosts4ever: Yeah man I got suckered by The Witcher praise three times, which makes me the fool.

Both with 2 and 3 people were like "okay, well sure the previous one had poor gameplay, but now it's great!". Nope.

Obviously never expected Cyberpunk to be such a train wreck of a launch, but can safely say it was never on my radar as a potential buy.

I used to like a lot of RPGs. In fairness, can say a lot of the issue is that my own tastes changed. Though there's also an argument to be made that a lot of them have just gotten even worse.

At this point my favorite RPGs are hardly RPGs even in the loose gaming sense. SoulsBorne? Action adventure with stats. Nioh? Action game with stats.

Currently enjoying Tactics Ogre, but of course a tactical game.

FF7 remake is only RPG to have amazing combat anyways.

its far ahead of any of mass effect/witcher/fallout/skyrim shit.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4389 Posts

all 3 solid and know the tech and design of the time.

story wise.... 2 with all dlc... was epic.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9900 Posts

I can see this franchise not aging to well. The games are a bit long and contain some pretty tedious stuff. I also think graphics were a big part of the appeal and naturally the character models don’t hold up to modetn standards, even with a new coat of paint. I really enjoyed Mass Effect back in the day, but have no wish to play them again.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3505 Posts

They are cool games. The first one is still my favourite.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ghosts4ever

@kathaariancode said:

They are cool games. The first one is still my favourite.

first one is worst apparently. i quit it half way the combat is broken.

second one is slightly better but still I quit it too.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KathaarianCode

@ghosts4ever: You can't even shoot lamps.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ghosts4ever

@kathaariancode said:

@ghosts4ever: You can't even shoot lamps.

aside from joke.

you are doing nothing in mass effect. only engage in terrible combat time to time with dumb squad AI.

cant believe people overrate those games.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KathaarianCode

@ghosts4ever: Yes, it's not totally badass game.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10556 Posts

i played me1 once in 07 and never touched it again, purposely.

game was one of those very rare beasts that was good despite the gameplay. the story was so good, so well paced and well told it carried it, so good you soldiered on through the puddle deep combat and clumsy controls. but i knew if i revisited it years later, the already sub standard gameplay would've aged like milk, and it would've ruined the rather high pedestal i'd put it on, so decided to leave its memory in tact.

but then picked up the remastered collection last year and decided what the hell i'll gave it another go. worst fears confirmed, this time i couldn't make it through the first despite the story still holding up. disappointing as i was really up for playing through the whole trilogy and retrying me2 with a clean slate. i just couldn't get into me2 first time round and didn't get the adulation it received. story was a glorified recruitment drive and not fit to lick the boots of the first. combat was improved but all that did was turn it into a bottom rung of the ladder tps. would've liked to try it again but without the continuation of finishing the first it was pointless. £40 well spent

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts

@ghosts4ever: "its universe and lore wasted on mediocre TPS/RPG. either this should be nicely done pure TPS or should have been semi open FPS game."

No doubt the series could have been a lot better on the combat end with respect to gunplay, it's easier to ignore with tech/biotic class builds. While some sequels made marginal improvements to combat mechanics, overall it's still an RPG and combat advantages for the player are going to be entirely stat/leveling and gear based.

I'd hate to single out Mass Effect for problems that kind of plague RPGs in general. I wouldn't say the combat mechanics are awful for games like these, but they're serviceable, and it's the universe and lore and story and such that carry it the rest of the way toward being an exceptional game.

With regards to how RPGs treat gear stats, most games require constant swapping out of loudouts for better gear to point it really sucks the immersion out of it. And requires constant management. If you like one weapon but you level out of its effectiveness it pressures you to use weapons you don't want and I hate when games do that.

Maybe one game that should stand out as a progression system done right would be AC Valhalla, if one finds a weapon or gear that suits them they can keep using it through the entire game and make it better by getting it upgraded at a blacksmith and attaching new runes to the weapon. Now, not saying that game managed to not be a bad RPG in other respects as many of the game's progression elements are peppered around the games large map that makes progressing through the game a burdensome time consuming slog, but it's worth pointing out a game that can do the weapons and gear and stat progression in a far more streamlined manner, and that way just let the combat feel it isn't as burdened by its RPG mechanics. Now if only a game like Mass Effect can apply a similar design to its combat and progression design, yeah it could be much better.

Anyhow, curious if you played ME3. I know it gets a bad reputation because of how it originally ended (though I thought the expanded endings helped a good bit), I found the overall experience to be a very fun one. Been a while but I remember thinking the gunplay felt pretty good for it, more so than the others. But it is often the entry I feel gets most dismissed.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

Played ME1 on the 360 back when it was released in 07. Super immersive and loved it, especially the story and characters. Played ME2 at launch, and while it was a better game, ME1 felt way more special for its time, so i liked it over ME2. Played ME3 at launch, and the only thing i remember is having spent a shitload of time in its multiplayer and the crappy conclusion of the trilogy. Few months back, amazon were giving away the remastered trilogy for free. I haven't played it, but there's zero chance of me enjoying these titles in 2022. Writing and story timeless, but everything else feels very mid to late 2000.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2259 Posts

Hating ME for janky gameplay, praising metro as the second… who else but ghost??

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ghosts4ever

@djoffer123 said:

Hating ME for janky gameplay, praising metro as the second… who else but ghost??

even at worst and worst. Metro gameplay is LEAGUE and LEAGUE above Mass effect at best.

terrible comparision.

Metro is not praised by corrupt mainstream media like mass effect.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ghosts4ever
@hardwenzen said:

Played ME1 on the 360 back when it was released in 07. Super immersive and loved it, especially the story and characters. Played ME2 at launch, and while it was a better game, ME1 felt way more special for its time, so i liked it over ME2. Played ME3 at launch, and the only thing i remember is having spent a shitload of time in its multiplayer and the crappy conclusion of the trilogy. Few months back, amazon were giving away the remastered trilogy for free. I haven't played it, but there's zero chance of me enjoying these titles in 2022. Writing and story timeless, but everything else feels very mid to late 2000.

Games are not that old. 2005 FEAR is still play better and aged very well than 2007 Mass effect or 2010 Mass effect 2.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2259 Posts

@ghosts4ever: go away you bad bad troll…

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

Never really played the Legendary Edition but I did play the original versions of the games with all the dlc.

I have never experienced a trilogy anywhere as good as this one. It just got better and better with each release.

ME1 was a great game for its time. In many ways the class makes the game. I played as vanguard which is similar to the sentinel in the later works. It's biotic powers come in handy and they are the toughest class besides the soldier. Didn't see the point of assault rifles since the pistol is one of the best weapons in the game.

As for ME2 it was a nice step up from the first game - being very gamy and actiony with less inventory management.

For ME3 good grief that was one of the best sequels in decades. It is all about the war against the Reapers - something the previous games hinted at. It was one of the most epic, well executed stories in gaming or anywhere else you can find in Sci Fi.

The combat and shooting in the game were a huge improvement as well. With something like 50+ different weapons - each one unique with their attributes and equipible add-ons.

In fact it was such a good game that it was 2 full games all rolled into one - single and multiplayer. The Multi was top notched - giving you hundreds of hours to play in after you beat the game.

Can't say too many bad things about ME3 - it was jaw droppingly good.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Great sci-fi games. The story and twist of the first game were great. 2 felt a little safe story-wise, but the gameplay was a step up. Other than the resource mining anyway. 3 felt a little rushed to get to the conclusion. Or maybe I just didn’t want it to end…

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

There's just no accounting for poor taste. :P Mass Effect is likely the best new IP of the last decade or more.

I loved it sooo much. I never bought any of the DLC for the originals and ME:LE offered all of it. I was blown away by some of it in ME2 and ME3. Wish I could play them all for the first time again.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Remastered? Was it, completed the first remastered one yesterday, struggled to notice much difference. Seemed like a lazy cash grab to me, the bugs still remain too, walking though the citadel is hideous.

It was remastered yeah:

- The vehicles sections in ME1 have been completely reworked

- 4K textures (some upscaled, some remade by hand)

- HDR support

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20239 Posts

I love the ME series. Played all three when it was released multiple times then did a playthrough when LE came out. It's fantastic and I'm excited for ME 4.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Mass Effect is one of the greatest sci-fi RPG series of all time. Excellent story, excellent game play, replayability, immersive, and visually stunning (for it's time).

It should be on everyone's list of "Greatest RPGs".

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hardwenzen

@Zero_epyon said:

I love the ME series. Played all three when it was released multiple times then did a playthrough when LE came out. It's fantastic and I'm excited for ME 4.

How did you feel about Andromeda?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ghosts4ever

@dabear said:

@ghosts4ever: Mass Effect is one of the greatest sci-fi RPG series of all time. Excellent story, excellent game play, replayability, immersive, and visually stunning (for it's time).

It should be on everyone's list of "Greatest RPGs".

but its Third person cover shooter. and badly done.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zero_epyon
@hardwenzen said:
@Zero_epyon said:

I didn't hate it. But it didn't have the same charm. The big bad in Andromeda was kinda meh too compared to the threat of the Reapers.

It's the GoW Ascension of the series. lol

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hardwenzen

@Zero_epyon said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Zero_epyon said:

I didn't hate it. But it didn't have the same charm. The big bad in Andromeda was kinda meh too compared to the threat of the Reapers.

Haven't played Ascension, but to me, and how much i hated Andromeda, i doubt Ascension is anywhere near as bad lmao. The game offered everything what's bad about rpg's, and it felt almost as if the title was hand crafted by the cyborg Andrew Wilson himself.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Haven't played Ascension, but to me, and how much i hated Andromeda, i doubt Ascension is anywhere near as bad lmao. The game offered everything what's bad about rpg's, and it felt almost as if the title was hand crafted by the cyborg Andrew Wilson himself.

No mass effect game is RPG accept very first one. and it was badly done RPG plus third person shooter.

Mass effect 2 is better becasue its better shooter but still mediocre.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zero_epyon

@hardwenzen said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Zero_epyon said:

What I meant is that all ME entries are top-notch except Andromeda in the same sense that Ascension isn't the best GoW entry. Not saying Ascension was bad.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen

@Zero_epyon said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Zero_epyon said:

What I meant is that all ME entries are top-notch except Andromeda in the same sense that Ascension isn't the best GoW entry. Not saying Ascension was bad.

God i hated Andromeda so much. When you've been starving for ME content for over half a decade, and THIS is what Bioware gives ya... i am still mad lol.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zero_epyon

@hardwenzen: I hear ya. Let's hope ME4 isn't a repeat of Andromeda.