Final Fantasy 7 (sigh)

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

runker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 runker
Member since 2008 • 472 Posts

I'm with Jeff Gerstmann on this one. The commericals for this game were the best part.

Final Fantasy 8 Ftw

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts
VII owns every game in existance. No JRPG can match up to it even after over 10 years.
no_handlebars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 no_handlebars
Member since 2008 • 1774 Posts
I like FF 9 better.... I find FFVII to be incredibly overhyped and kinda overrated. That's just my 2 cents.
black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
VII owns every game in existance. No JRPG can match up to it even after over 10 years.AHUGECAT
ehh ff10 is better imo and the majority of Japan would back up my opinion, plus halo as the second best series??? seriously.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
VII owns every game in existance. No JRPG can match up to it even after over 10 years.AHUGECAT
FF 6 was much better
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]VII owns every game in existance. No JRPG can match up to it even after over 10 years.black_tempest
ehh ff10 is better imo and the majority of Japan would back up my opinion, plus halo as the second best series??? seriously.

Amazing, ey?
Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts
6>9>7>>>>>>>>>>>8>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>10
karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 karriston
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts
I don't understand the hate towards FF VII. It brought RPGs to a bigger audience, the story was more than the usual "Save the princess" affair and the battle system was great. I guess it's like Star Wars in a way. It brought about something new, but there have been many better films that have come out that have refined the formula, but they owe a lot to Star Wars. Sure there are better RPGs, but can you honestly say they'd be of the same standard if FF VII hadn't broken the mould beforehand?
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 st1ka

I don't understand the hate towards FF VII. It brought RPGs to a bigger audience, the story was more than the usual "Save the princess" affair and the battle system was great. I guess it's like Star Wars in a way. It brought about something new, but there have been many better films that have come out that have refined the formula, but they owe a lot to Star Wars. Sure there are better RPGs, but can you honestly say they'd be of the same standard if FF VII hadn't broken the mould beforehand?karriston

my problem is that 7 was actually a step down from 6

it's also a problem that because of FF 7 every JRPG that is not part of the FF franchise is now deemed as "crap"

Avatar image for muffintheduffin
muffintheduffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 muffintheduffin
Member since 2008 • 1004 Posts

FF7 is the mega overrated.

for god sakes, it has a good story, not great, its love story isnt that sad.

FF8 in the other hand.

talk abt the saddest ending sequence ever in an FF game.

cloud losing his loved is nothing like squalls battle trying to make sure his memories stay while trying to save his loved and all kind of stuff.

FF7 is like GTA:SA its fun and great and lots of mini games

FF8 is more like GTA4 serious but great story but without the lame gameplay. 

FF8 IMO is probably the best with FFx-2 being the last.

yes, ive played nearly every single FF game out there except for FF11 and FF12 (i just couldn't bear the game)

and yes, u can see its been a while since ive played any FF game so my memories on the characters name may be pretty shallow.

cutmaclass1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cutmaclass1
Member since 2004 • 1611 Posts
Hmmm... except Chrono Trigger and FFVI... and pretty much every first party Nintendo game from the SNES days (Super Metroid, etc.)... and Symphony of the Night... heck, if you want something even more recent, even LBP is better than FFVII for a plethora of reasons.
FF7 is like GTA:SA its fun and great and lots of mini games. FF8 is more like GTA4 serious but great story but without the lame gameplaymuffintheduffin
Along the lines of this analogy, FFVI would be GTAIII; the game that ushered in a renewed series of incredible experiences.
Avatar image for muffintheduffin
muffintheduffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 muffintheduffin
Member since 2008 • 1004 Posts

I don't understand the hate towards FF VII. It brought RPGs to a bigger audience, the story was more than the usual "Save the princess" affair and the battle system was great. I guess it's like Star Wars in a way. It brought about something new, but there have been many better films that have come out that have refined the formula, but they owe a lot to Star Wars. Sure there are better RPGs, but can you honestly say they'd be of the same standard if FF VII hadn't broken the mould beforehand?karriston

i don't hate it.

i love it.

but it isnt the greatest JRPG of all time.

its on the frontiers of JRPG's. but not the greatest. 

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
[QUOTE="karriston"]I don't understand the hate towards FF VII. It brought RPGs to a bigger audience, the story was more than the usual "Save the princess" affair and the battle system was great. I guess it's like Star Wars in a way. It brought about something new, but there have been many better films that have come out that have refined the formula, but they owe a lot to Star Wars. Sure there are better RPGs, but can you honestly say they'd be of the same standard if FF VII hadn't broken the mould beforehand?

If its like starwars by the fact you mean the originals were better then the more recent ones were crap then your right, Final fantasy the original games 1-6 were great, 7 and on they were crap. Final Fantasy 7 broke no moulds it casualized the final fantasy experience by adding in feminem angsty teenage characters and a emo storyline, Before Final Fantasy 7 Square made sure to refine each game to an art even Final Fantasy 2 regarded as the worst final fantasy was refined down very well I enjoyed it just as much infact alot of the elements in it are shared by MMO's today that these same people praise. Final Fantasy 7 was in no way innovative and was filled with plot holes I dont remmber a final fantasy before it that had plot holes and it relied way to much on CGI cutscenes, and till this day if you followed the story in it it lead to one conclusion based upon that story. [spoiler] The planet decides humanity is destructive and gets rid of it per the storyline that holy allows the planet the power to get rid of all that is bad for it the ending simply shows a flash of light 500 years later no humans to be seen around animals are flourishing and midgar is covered in plants which would not happen in a 500 year time frame unless humans were removed from the equation. [/spoiler] But with the addition of recent games, the movie and such they are adding all new dynamics to the story to totally smash this logical preception of the original game and the games they've released have answered no questions only made plot holes original established in the game that much bigger and added new ones.
AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AHUGECAT

[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]VII owns every game in existance. No JRPG can match up to it even after over 10 years.cutmaclass1
Hmmm... except Chrono Trigger and FFVI... and pretty much every first party Nintendo game from the SNES days (Super Metroid, etc.)... and Symphony of the Night... heck, if you want something even more recent, even LBP is better than FFVII for a plethora of reasons.

How the heck can FFVI even compare to VII? And Chrono Trigger? Hahahahahahaahahah....

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
IV, V, VI, VII, IX, X and XII cream VII, seriously it was such a darn borefest i gave up
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

No JRPG can match it after 10 years? It owns every game in existance? Seeing as how its not even the best title in the series FFVI is I don't find your statements true in my opinion.

FFVI > FFVII 

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AHUGECAT

[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]VII owns every game in existance. No JRPG can match up to it even after over 10 years.Blackbond

No JRPG can match it after 10 years? It owns every game in existance? Seeing as how its not even the best title in the series FFVI is I don't find your statements true in my opinion.

FFVI > FFVII 

Have you even played VI? I played VI after hearing how "great" it was, and ended up not ever playing it again it was so lame.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 st1ka

[QUOTE="cutmaclass1"][QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]VII owns every game in existance. No JRPG can match up to it even after over 10 years.AHUGECAT

How the heck can FFVI even compare to VII? And Chrono Trigger? Hahahahahahaahahah....

more deeply developed characters, a better plot, unexpected plot twists, an overall better combat these reasons come to mind

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
Looking at this quote, you have absolutely no credibility and that I will never acknowledge anything you say. Good job.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blackbond

[QUOTE="cutmaclass1"][QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]VII owns every game in existance. No JRPG can match up to it even after over 10 years.AHUGECAT

You should play it and find out. If you've played it you would know most things about FF7 were created and based off of FF6. Foxhound will be here shortly and show you the picture. I know he loves posting it and I love seeing it lol. 

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AHUGECAT
[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

[QUOTE="cutmaclass1"][QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]VII owns every game in existance. No JRPG can match up to it even after over 10 years.st1ka

more deeply developed characters, a better plot, unexpected plot twists, an overall better combat these reasons come to mind

FVII has the number one twist of all time, better charactes (Kefka = lame o) and  there is no character development anyways, and FFVII has far better gameplay.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 st1ka

IV, V, VI, VII, IX, X and XII cream VII, seriously it was such a darn borefest i gave upFirstDiscovery

12? X ? :? eeeewwww

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AHUGECAT
[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

[QUOTE="cutmaclass1"][QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]VII owns every game in existance. No JRPG can match up to it even after over 10 years.Blackbond

You should play it and find out. If you've played it you would know most things about FF7 were created and based off of FF6. Foxhound will be here shortly and show you the picture. I know he loves posting it and I love seeing it lol. 

FFVI seems to me like a bandwagon type game, as is the hate of FF7. I bet you hate Halo and GTA as well, right?

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="AHUGECAT"] Hmmm... except Chrono Trigger and FFVI... and pretty much every first party Nintendo game from the SNES days (Super Metroid, etc.)... and Symphony of the Night... heck, if you want something even more recent, even LBP is better than FFVII for a plethora of reasons. AHUGECAT

FVII has the number one twist of all time, better charactes (Kefka = lame o) and  there is no character development anyways, and FFVII has far better gameplay.

oh please that twist back then was about as good as "Luke i am your father" is now

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mstc_Q
Member since 2007 • 1901 Posts
Chono Trigger will fight you for that title.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 st1ka
[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

[QUOTE="cutmaclass1"][QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]VII owns every game in existance. No JRPG can match up to it even after over 10 years.Blackbond

what picture? now i'm curious...
Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
After playing VII I keep hearing how it's the best thing ever, which I disagree it's not the best and I'm not even a fan of the old 2D FFs.

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]IV, V, VI, VII, IX, X and XII cream VII, seriously it was such a darn borefest i gave upst1ka

Those two are good games.
3ggman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 3ggman
Member since 2007 • 252 Posts

Yo ahugecat. Good franchices in your sig but I can't believe you forgot to put Half-Life =/.

Oh and to whoever said 12 is a good game. Shame on you...

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AHUGECAT

Yo ahugecat. Good franchices in your sig but I can't believe you forgot to put Half-Life =/.3ggman

Actually Half-Life was in it but I traded it in with Gears of War, haha.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blackbond
[QUOTE="Blackbond"]

[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]VII owns every game in existance. No JRPG can match up to it even after over 10 years.AHUGECAT

FFVI > FFVII

Have you even played VI? I played VI after hearing how "great" it was, and ended up not ever playing it again it was so lame.

No I haven't. I'm just saying its the best in the series for nothing. I have never played it at all   :roll:

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
Most over-rated JRPG E-V-E-R.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 st1ka
After playing VII I keep hearing how it's the best thing ever, which I disagree it's not the best and I'm not even a fan of the old 2D FFs. [QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]IV, V, VI, VII, IX, X and XII cream VII, seriously it was such a darn borefest i gave upDystopian-X

i respectfully disagree specially with 12

3ggman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 3ggman

[QUOTE="3ggman"]Yo ahugecat. Good franchices in your sig but I can't believe you forgot to put Half-Life =/.AHUGECAT

Gears of war a better franchise than half-life? Plz shoot me now if you think thats true lol

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AHUGECAT
[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

[QUOTE="3ggman"]Yo ahugecat. Good franchices in your sig but I can't believe you forgot to put Half-Life =/.3ggman

Gears of war a better franchise than half-life? Plz shoot me now if you think thats true lol

*shoots you now with my lancer* lol

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Blackbond

FFVI seems to me like a bandwagon type game, as is the hate of FF7. I bet you hate Halo and GTA as well, right?

AHUGECAT

No that would be FFVII. You know the game that has all the Sephiroth fanboys, the people who loved it without even haved played any iterations before it. FFVII is the bandwagon type game. When you think of gaming bandwagon's you think of FFVII and Sephiroth in the same sentence.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WilliamRLBaker

AHUGECAT
Simply put and this is all i have to post Awesome Fantasy 7 describes it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0TOV-qaINg
AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AHUGECAT
[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

Blackbond

No that would be FFVII. You know the game that has all the Sephiroth fanboys, the people who loved it without even haved played any iterations before it. FFVII is the bandwagon type game. When you think of gaming bandwagon's you think of FFVII and Sephiroth in the same sentence.

Judging from this thread and many others (and websites), it's the exact opposite. It's cool to hate on FFVII, Halo, GTA and other games. FFVI is easily one of the worst in the series but for some reason it's liked, I guess because it's trendy. Kefka is such a horrible "character" my goodness. Sephiroth is popular because he is actually cool and badass. Kefka is a lame character, easily forgetable.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
[QUOTE="Dystopian-X"]After playing VII I keep hearing how it's the best thing ever, which I disagree it's not the best and I'm not even a fan of the old 2D FFs. [QUOTE="st1ka"]

st1ka

i respectfully disagree specially with 12

Well at least XII didnt need the window dressing of the rest, it was pure rock solid gameplay that was totally new, and on top the world was STUNNINGLY realised. Its one of the best JRPGs ever, just shows how high FF standards are
3ggman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 3ggman
Meh. I seriously think gears of war is overated. Didn't like it at all. So for someone to say it compares to an amazing franchise like Half-Life is hard for me to take.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WilliamRLBaker
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

AHUGECAT

Judging from this thread and many others (and websites), it's the exact opposite. It's cool to hate on FFVII, Halo, GTA and other games. FFVI is easily one of the worst in the series but for some reason it's liked, I guess because it's trendy. Kefka is such a horrible "character" my goodness. Sephiroth is popular because he is actually cool and badass. Kefka is a lame character, easily forgetable.

you mean sephiroth the character has since square turned into a whiney wussy crying for his mommy and cameoing in every game they make?
Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
Oh and to whoever said 12 is a good game. Shame on you... 3ggman
Yes it is and very addicting once you get into it. It's problem is that it failed to be all that memorable. Seriously most ppl who hate on later FF games are either FF VII or VI fanboys or one of those who seem to think only the ''classics'' were good, not sure which group is worse.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blackbond

FVII has the number one twist of all time, better charactes (Kefka = lame o) and there is no character development anyways, and FFVII has far better gameplay.

AHUGECAT

Sorry but the cast of

• Terra
  • Celes
  • Locke
  • Edgar
  • Sabin
  • Setzer
  • Cyan
  • Shadow

And even the minor characters of

• Sratgo
  • Relm
  • Mog
  • Gau

Is the most interesting and diverse cast of characters in a Final Fantasy game created.

No character development. Man you'd wonder if Terra was even the main character of the story at times with Edgar and Locke's roles.

And you're talking about character development? As in no character development? Oh god wow lol. You must not have been playing this game at all.

And gameplay?

1. Esper System vs Materia System
  2. 4 Characters vs 3 Characters
  3. More unique characters with unique abilities compared to less

Its a turn based RPG and your talking about gameplay. Except in this statement you do realize that FF6 has more options right?

3ggman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 3ggman

[QUOTE="3ggman"]Oh and to whoever said 12 is a good game. Shame on you... Dystopian-X
Yes it is and very addicting once you get into it. It's problem is that it failed to be all that memorable. Seriously most ppl who hate on later FF games are either FF VII or VI fanboys or one of those who seem to think only the ''classics'' were good, not sure which group is worse.

I beat 1,2,4,6,7,8,9,10. I mostly liked all of them and no I am not a fanboy towards any of them. I played 12 and it was crap. Just plain crap. I also have friends who beat most of the previous FFs and never got to finish 12 cause it was just plain aweful. 

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts
I know Im going to be cool by hating on a game everybody else like :roll:
AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AHUGECAT
[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

Blackbond

FVII has the number one twist of all time, better charactes (Kefka = lame o) and there is no character development anyways, and FFVII has far better gameplay.

Sorry but the cast of

• Terra
  • Celes
  • Locke
  • Edgar
  • Sabin
  • Setzer
  • Cyan
  • Shadow

And even the minor characters of

• Sratgo
  • Relm
  • Mog
  • Gau

Is the most interesting and diverse cast of characters in a Final Fantasy game created.

No character development. Man you'd wonder if Terra was even the main character of the story at times with Edgar and Locke's roles.

And you're talking about character development? As in no character development? Oh god wow lol. You must not have been playing this game at all.

And gameplay?

1. Esper System vs Materia System
  2. 4 Characters vs 3 Characters
  3. More unique characters with unique abilities compared to less

Its a turn based RPG and your talking about gameplay. Except in this statement you do realize that FF6 has more options right?

What website did you copy and paste that from?

For some reason it's become trendy to like FFVI over FFVII. The characters you named, for example, are entirely forgettable. Tifa, Cloud, Zack, cait, Yuffie, Vincent, Sephiroth, Aeris, all own those characters.

Fact is, at least I am honest enough to admit FFVII is the best game ever. Every website I see has saying "FFVI is the best ever!!111" Yeah, I don't believe they actually think that. It won't make you a casual to think FFVII is the best, so don't worry.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
[QUOTE="karriston"]I don't understand the hate towards FF VII. It brought RPGs to a bigger audience, the story was more than the usual "Save the princess" affair and the battle system was great. I guess it's like Star Wars in a way. It brought about something new, but there have been many better films that have come out that have refined the formula, but they owe a lot to Star Wars. Sure there are better RPGs, but can you honestly say they'd be of the same standard if FF VII hadn't broken the mould beforehand?

the hate comes from old FF fans from back in the nes and snes era. people talk about FF7 as if it's the first final fantasy and first good JRPG ever created(no different from how most halo fanboys looked at halo as the first good FPS on a console). you can ask any casual gamer these days what system did the final fantasy start on and i bet almost all of them will say the PS1 because of FF7.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Blackbond

For some reason it's become trendy to like FFVI over FFVII. The characters you named, for example, are entirely forgettable. Tifa, Cloud, Zack, cait, Yuffie, Vincent, Sephiroth, Aeris, all own those characters.

Fact is, at least I am honest enough to admit FFVII is the best game ever. Every website I see has saying "FFVI is the best ever!!111" Yeah, I don't believe they actually think that. It won't make you a casual to think FFVII is the best, so don't worry.

AHUGECAT

Sorry I don't need to copy from a website, it comes from the head man.

No for some reason it becomes trendy to think FFVII is the greatest game ever, the greatest JRPG ever, and that Sephiroth is the greatest villian ever. All why rarely ever acknowledging other games in the series. 

I had hardly call the cast of FFVI forgetable especially seeing as how they all have their own theme music. How are minor characters like Cait Sith and Yuffie memorable? You didn't even name Barrett who is pretty much one of the more central characters in the game and instead you named an optional character in Vincent and Cait Sith and Yuffie? Oh wow.

Um no its every website that claims that FFVII is the best ever not FFVI. 

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AHUGECAT
[QUOTE="AHUGECAT"]

Blackbond

Sorry I don't need to copy from a website, it comes from the head man.

No for some reason it becomes trendy to think FFVII is the greatest game ever, the greatest JRPG ever, and that Sephiroth is the greatest villian ever. All why rarely ever acknowledging other games in the series. 

I had hardly call the cast of FFVI forgetable especially seeing as how they all have their own theme music. How are minor characters like Cait Sith and Yuffie memorable? You didn't even name Barrett who is pretty much one of the more central characters in the game and instead you named an optional character in Vincent and Cait Sith and Yuffie? Oh wow.

Um no its every website that claims that FFVII is the best ever not FFVI. 

Actually, look at any gaming website and they will say "FFVI pwns VII! VII is overrated!" Heck just look at this thread.

And I thought I listed Barret, but apparently I did not. But that's how great VII is - Yuffie alone pwns all VI characters.

This is how the list goes: 1. Final Fantasy VII 2. Final Fantasy IX 3. Final Fantasy X 4. Final Fantasy VIII 5. Final Fantasy VI

no_handlebars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 no_handlebars
Member since 2008 • 1774 Posts
Blackbond, are you talking about the picture of the plot for FFVI where are a few things are modified to make it FFVII? I believe I have that around somewhere....