SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

One game that comes to mind is Jet Set Radio. I think the style and concept were cool for its time, but I'm not sure if the core gameplay was really that great.. to me, a lot of its legacy can be attributed to the nostalgia of that time (Dreamcast launch, 3D games, cell shaded graphics).

Thoughts, SW? What games would you say are overrated due to nostalgia?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Shenmue

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9900 Posts

Deus Ex and Stalker

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

Going to be hated by figthing fans but ... Third Strike !!! Yes, the game gave us many great moments and the animations were fantastic by its time, but to call it the greatest figthing game ever ? that's a huge stretch. Personally i think both Garou and KOF 98 were better.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39707 Posts

Everything made by Nintendo.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

The majority of 3d games from gen 5 that people still place on a pedestal. Experimental, innovative, influential, yeah sure, great! Actually worth a play now, most of them, not so much.

Would also say a lot of classic JRPGs - I'm guilty of doing this one lol. But I do always make sure to preface my nostalgia when discussing such games. Edit: Not to be confused with modern JRPGs being better.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I mean, I play games for fun. If nostalgia adds to their fun, then that's legit to me. That being said, trying to be objective I think most early 3D games are pretty bad now without it as a boon.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

I got 2.

Love Legend of Dragoon but the encounter rate is high, exp gain is so uneven which makes grinding bad, magic is consumable which instantly make it terrible and inventory system limitation is stupid. Personally the story itself pretty much holds the game. The twist so unique, unexpected and mindblowing it made people forgive absolutely everything else about the game. Highly recommends for the story, I think the story still hold quite excellent but everything else about the game made me really not want to play it.

Speaking of twist. Shadow Heart Covenant twist is as mindblowing as well. Hate the Judgement Ring system so bad but man, the story is so awesome. Sets in WW1, events in europe and you are a German officer of Japanese origin going after the russian Occult and Rasputin. Really fun story but terrible combat. Idk how some love the combat but its probably an acquired taste.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25064 Posts
  • GTA san andreas - terrible game when it was released and still is but mention this one only because its most overrated by fans.
  • Mass effect 2 - mediocre cover based shooter lable as RPG classic lol
  • Goldeneye - at the time amazing FPS like Quake and year later Half life were also released and this game suck compare to them and only got praised because it was first ever console exclusive FPS game.
  • Resident Evil 4 - It was bad when it was released and still. it was mediocre third person action game with horrible control, combat and camera not to mention it was full of QTEs and game that pioneer third person movie game genre.
  • NOLF - This game was basically goldeneye/perfect dark for PC. it was just too comicy and cartoonish. the shooting, AI, stealth was not even done good for that time it released too. many FPS games were far better. game was incredibly overrated but luckily monolith hit the nail with FEAR. become one of the greatest game of all time.
  • Call of Duty 4 - It ruined FPS games in late 00s by turning FPS into linear scripted walking in straight line and focus on generic MP.
Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Anything Nintendo.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

Anything Sony.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9900 Posts

Anything Microsoft.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34775 Posts

^ lol

Yeah, many early 3D games, as others have mentioned. Thread made me think of Mario Kart 64. Are there people enjoying that still?

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Sonic

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts

Crysis... well, it was always overrated.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

The majority of 3d games from gen 5 that people still place on a pedestal. Experimental, innovative, influential, yeah sure, great! Actually worth a play now, most of them, not so much.

Would also say a lot of classic JRPGs - I'm guilty of doing this one lol. But I do always make sure to preface my nostalgia when discussing such games. Edit: Not to be confused with modern JRPGs being better.

Definitely. If you hand a kid who wasn't born in that era a game like Goldeneye, he'll wonder WTF we were playing. Without a historical context a lot of these games are garbage these days. Though I still find some games like Mario 64 or the Banjo games have aged remarkably. Only the camera is questionable but this is easily fixed with modern controls.

N64/PS1 era was rough as hell with 3D but we needed to go through that phase to get where we're now. I'm seriously amazed at how ballsy some big companies were with their choices.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

Probably go with Ocarina Of Time.

Its influence isn't overrated. But playing it now, running across a bare patch of nothing from one end to the other doing fetch quests for the opening 2-3 hours of the game (and onward). Just, the lack of actually doing dungeons but farting about with gimmicks.

Yea, this shit is boring. It's like that shitty part of Halflife 2 with the car, if that was most of the game. And even then, in Halflife 2, it's optional, you can straight up just drive past half the shit.

This is the most game ever. Untouchable. The height of heights of the meduim going by critic faps.

Played this game very late, then immediately played Phantom Hourglass afterwords (which apparently is hated) and had far more fun. Almost 0 downtime in that game. The boat shit, though basic is actually fun.

Running across this over and over, is like sticking nails up your ass.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ConanTheStoner  Online

@Juub1990:

Yup, Mario 64 is definitely one of the standouts. Which is funny since I didn't like it much back then. Played the hell out of the PC port last year, such a great game.

@uninspiredcup:

Was avoiding specifics in my post, but yeah, elephant in the room.

Xdude from the Discord recently got into Zelda games for the first time. Made his way back to OoT, it's fun hearing the opinions from someone who didn't grow up on the shit.

Game was outdone by both its sequels and prequels. I get the hype, game floored me too at the time. And even still, better than most of its contemporaries. But a lot of it is average now, even poor in some respects.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Gta4,5, MGS 2,4,5, Halo 2,3,4,5 only single player online don’t care for, Uncharted 3,4, Gears extremely overrated most boring game i played only 1,2,3 rest i didn’t bother with,

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7356 Posts

@madsnakehhh: Disagree about Third Strike (though Garou and 98 were better), but I'll probably get an equal amount of hate for saying Street Fighter 2 doesn't hold up. It's playable, and laid a solid foundation for the genre to build on, but there is no reason to go back. Alpha 3 is probably the oldest SF I genuinely enjoy.

Now that I've got fighting games on my mind, the first four Mortal Kombats suuuuck. Deadly Alliance had issues, but was a big improvement over it's predecessors. I wish they'd do another 3D one now that Ed Boon can actually make decent fighters.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7718 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Shenmue

oh yes this

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 uninspiredcup

Ghosts fav new old game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uninspiredcup
@judaspete said:

@madsnakehhh: Disagree about Third Strike, but I'll probably get an equal amount of hate for saying Street Fighter 2 doesn't hold up. It's playable, and laid a solid foundation for the genre to build on, but there is no reason to go back. Alpha 3 is probably the oldest SF game I genuinely enjoy.

Thing about SF2 though is that it has multiple iterations up until modern day.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14825 Posts

@judaspete said:

@madsnakehhh: Disagree about Third Strike (though Garou and 98 were better), but I'll probably get an equal amount of hate for saying Street Fighter 2 doesn't hold up. It's playable, and laid a solid foundation for the genre to build on, but there is no reason to go back. Alpha 3 is probably the oldest SF I genuinely enjoy.

Now that I've got fighting games on my mind, the first four Mortal Kombats suuuuck. Deadly Alliance had issues, but was a big improvement over it's predecessors. I wish they'd do another 3D one now that Ed Boon can actually make decent fighters.

I feel the same regarding SF II and Alpha 3.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner  Online

Yeah, big disagree on Third Strike lol. Arguing how it stacks up against other classics is fine, plenty of other greats, but Third Strike is great in its own right. Could scoff about wild balance issues for sure, but that's most classic fighting games for ya.

Also disagree on SF2 (unless we're talking vanilla ass SF2). CE and ST are still good games. Still fill a niche that other FGs don't. Can agree on overrated, but "no reason to go back" is a bit much. And lets be real, most of the people who overrate SF2 as the pinnacle game are people who don't really play FGs.

And yeah MK1 is trash, MK2 sucks just a bit less. UMK3 is jank af, but still a good time.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Rare's games from the N64 Era. They where great back in the day but now they're super dated. Games like Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 are collect-a-tons from hell with camera controls you have to manually keep track of and shooters like Goldeneye and perfect dark remind you of why Sony pushed dual analog sticks so much because of those directional "C" buttons to change your POV.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70408 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I was also late to Ocarina of Time and to this day, I still can't get into the game. Most likely the wonder of the game was time based, in that for the time, it was such a new experience that gamers were in awe throughout most of their play time. If that experience has become nothing special because of the advancement in gaming, the lack of awe makes the rest of the game uninteresting. That is my guess.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I actually agree with Jet Set Radio. Both games have crappy gameplay, but they ooze with style so I keep giving them chances. It's why I'm looking forward to Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, because a Jet Set Radio with potentially good gameplay would be amazing.

As for my choices, most Mario games like 64, World, and Odyssey, as well as FF in general. These aren't series that I get almost zero enjoyment out of like Resident Evil or Metal Gear, but I think the former two are vastly overrated when compared to their peers, especially the older ones.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3117 Posts

Warcraft III. Easily my least favorite of the rts Warcraft games, and it was the framework for MOBAs; my least favorite modern gaming craze...next to BR

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2082 Posts

Crysis. It had amazing graphics, but gameplay was bad even for the time. Part 2 and 3 was even worse.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@judaspete said:

@madsnakehhh: Disagree about Third Strike, but I'll probably get an equal amount of hate for saying Street Fighter 2 doesn't hold up. It's playable, and laid a solid foundation for the genre to build on, but there is no reason to go back. Alpha 3 is probably the oldest SF game I genuinely enjoy.

I'm willing to say that some SF2 iterations are perfectly playable and enjoyable to this day like Street Fighter 2 Turbo or New Challengers, hell Super Turbo still has a community to this day.

Same with Alpha 2 and of course Alpha 3 ... i feel of all of them are as good as Third Strike and much better than New Gen and Second Impact.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Its influence isn't overrated. But playing it now, running across a bare patch of nothing from one end to the other doing fetch quests for the opening 2-3 hours of the game (and onward). Just, the lack of actually doing dungeons but farting about with gimmicks.

Yea, this shit is boring. It's like that shitty part of Halflife 2 with the car, if that was most of the game. And even then, in Halflife 2, it's optional, you can straight up just drive past half the shit.

This is the most game ever. Untouchable. The height of heights of the meduim going by critic faps.

Played this game very late, then immediately played Phantom Hourglass afterwords (which apparently is hated) and had far more fun. Almost 0 downtime in that game. The boat shit, though basic is actually fun.

Phantom Hourglass is considered by the vast majority to be a top 5 worst Zelda game and Ocarina a top 5 best. There are reasons for this :P

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Sonic the Hedgehog. None of those games- 2D or 3D- hold a candle to Mario

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By uninspiredcup
@madsnakehhh said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@judaspete said:

I'm willing to say that some SF2 iterations are perfectly playable and enjoyable to this day like Street Fighter 2 Turbo or New Challengers, hell Super Turbo still has a community to this day.

Same with Alpha 2 and of course Alpha 3 ... i feel of all of them are as good as Third Strike and much better than New Gen and Second Impact.

Oh yea for sure man.

Picked up (and got ripped the **** off) with Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers about 2-3 years back on Switch. Ended up pouring 50-70 hours into it.

The idea this game doesn't hold up mechanically is bullshit lol

Even stuff as well like the music score, SFIII is comparatively ass imo. Fucking hate it. Look at modern SF games, leaning on II's music score, for good reason.

Agree about SNK games, a few very early ones don't hold up, but by an large, even today, playing stuff like Last Blade 2 is still a banger.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I'd say Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are relatively unplayable. Earlier shooters like Doom hold up better due to the nature of the shooting combat. Other contemporaries like Half-Life and Unreal just stop all over them with level design and controls.

I love going back and playing older games but I won't pick these back up anymore for a reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Everything made by Nintendo.

Pretty much this.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

Any modern Nintendo game

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uninspiredcup

@girlusocrazy: RE0 is fairly disliked.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3258 Posts

I have to go with GoldenEye 007. I loved that game when it first came out but now it aged very badly.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Some of the best selling games involve doing loads of mundane, shitty fetch quests. WOW, AC, Horizon, TES etc. Not the least bit surprised people enjoyed it then, and still do. I'm with you that although OOT is a trailblazer, it doesn't do it for me anymore.

@ConanTheStoner said:

Was avoiding specifics in my post, but yeah, elephant in the room.

Xdude from the Discord recently got into Zelda games for the first time. Made his way back to OoT, it's fun hearing the opinions from someone who didn't grow up on the shit.

Game was outdone by both its sequels and prequels. I get the hype, game floored me too at the time. And even still, better than most of its contemporaries. But a lot of it is average now, even poor in some respects.

Agree about MM. WW though? It suffers from the same problems as OOT with the longest, most boring opening section besides perhaps TP. This game has a boatload (no pun intended) of padding and it seems whenever the pace is picking up and you're having fun, Nintendo goes "uh uh, not on my watch". I beat the entire Zelda series but never made it past Tower of the Gods in WW. Just too goddamn boring and I hear the final part of the game is even worse.

@rmiller365 said:

Rare's games from the N64 Era. They where great back in the day but now they're super dated. Games like Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 are collect-a-tons from hell with camera controls you have to manually keep track of and shooters like Goldeneye and perfect dark remind you of why Sony pushed dual analog sticks so much because of those directional "C" buttons to change your POV.

Banjo is still plenty great. DK64 isn't.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Shenmue

I'm about to come through my computer screen and strangle you.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts
@howmakewood said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Shenmue

oh yes this

You too clown. I'm coming through my computer screen.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ConanTheStoner  Online

@Juub1990:

Oh yeah, should have said some sequels and prequels. Definitely been some lower points in the series.

Just always find it funny how it's "best game of all time!" when it's not even the best in its own series.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

@nnoyinghusband: we actually agree on something.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 956 Posts

KOTOR

Bought it on steam a while ago because of all the fuss I always heard about it throughout the years. It's aweful to play right now and even for its time I dont think it was very good... maybe just because of the story? Cause it sure as sh*t wasnt because of the aweful, aweful gameplay

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7356 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@madsnakehhh said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@judaspete said:

Oh yea for sure man.

Picked up (and got ripped the **** off) with Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers about 2-3 years back on Switch. Ended up pouring 50-70 hours into it.

The idea this game doesn't hold up mechanically is bullshit lol

Even stuff as well like the music score, SFIII is comparatively ass imo. Fucking hate it. Look at modern SF games, leaning on II's music score, for good reason.

Agree about SNK games, a few very early ones don't hold up, but by an large, even today, playing stuff like Last Blade 2 is still a banger.

Just want to clarify that I never meant to imply SF2 has bad mechanics, it's playable even now. I just think later entries and other games improved things to the point that I would only go back and play 2 for nostalgia reasons.

And yeah, Last Blade 2 is still one of my favorite 2D fighting games to this day. That's not nostalgia talking, I didn't get to play it much until it came to Wii Virtual Console.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16606 Posts

OoT is a beautiful game from mu childhood. I remember how hard some parts of the game were and how I'd have to get help from my cousin. But it's definitely over rated

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16606 Posts

OoT is a beautiful game from mu childhood. I remember how hard some parts of the game were and how I'd have to get help from my cousin. But it's definitely over rated