Gran Turismo 7 close to becoming the highest earning game in the series!

• 76 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45219 Posts

https://www.psu.com/news/gran-turismo-7-is-closing-the-gap-on-gran-turismo-3-a-spec-to-become-the-highest-earning-game-in-the-franchise/

When Gran Turismo 7launched on the PS5 two years ago, it was clear from the jump that this was the beginning of a new era for the franchise.

Coincidentally, at time of writing GT7 is little more than a week away from celebrating its two year anniversary, and two years later it still continues to be a strong seller for PlayStation andPolyphony Digital.

So much that according to Circana executive director and analyst Mat Piscatella, Gran Turismo 7 is on track to have the highest lifetime dollar sales in the franchise as it is now second only toGran Turismo 3: A-Spec from back on the PS2.

Earlier on Friday, Piscatella reported sales charts for the best selling games and products in the games industry across the United States in the previous month, a list on which Gran Turismo 7 has consistently appeared and did again for January 2024.

Responding to a user commenting on GT7 still selling well despite it launching two years ago, Piscatella confirmed that the game is closing in on becoming the highest-earning game in the franchises history.

“Yep, Gran Turismo 7 currently trails only Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec in lifetime dollar sales for franchise releases in the US. Likely to catch up to that at some point this year.”

Wowza, didn't know it was doing that well. I imagine once it goes to PC, it will be even bigger than that! Btw, the VR mode is amazing. Thoughts, SW? Are you fan of the Gran Turismo franchise?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39089 Posts

When the latest Forza is a game made for a $1 renting service, you know the game is a low effort release. Because of it, there's no competition to GT7, so it ain't surprising that its doing well.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59059 Posts

Racing games are boring.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44263 Posts

I use to be into the games back in the day but Forza Motorsport now scratches that itch for me.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44589 Posts

Wasn't it ridiculed for some of the most egregiously priced vehicles and the paid currency cost to buy them?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7213 Posts

This game is trash. Sony been milking this same game dry to the bone.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#7 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Wasn't it ridiculed for some of the most egregiously priced vehicles and the paid currency cost to buy them?

Luckily, it still has a few more years until Sony will shut down the servers like they did to GT Sport. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Racing games seriously suck. They are made for people that like going around in circles, over and over.

Couple exceptions. In VR, they become fun. And if they're old school racers and such, that stuff is fun too. Still get a kick out of original F-Zero.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9574 Posts

The game is pretty good, but it's the exact, and I do mean exact, same game as the last couple games. I mean I know sports titles are given hell for releasing slightly updated games each year with new rosters, but for a franchise that only releases one game every couple/few years I would expect more than a few new cars. I know there are only so many tracks around the world, but I've been on each of them 1,000 times... I'll probably skip the next couple installments unless they add player content like custom maps or the devs add fantasy maps. I always preferred GT over Forza, but the grind and non budging mechanics are getting tedious and overplayed, which makes me crave more of an arcade experience. That said I'll probably play the next Forza game a but more than normal.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

Can we get new entries in Motorstorm, WipeOut and Jet Moto too. I don't want sim racers I want arcade racers.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58369 Posts

This is a victory for corporate shitbags and promoters of microtransactions everywhere! I definitely look forward to the day the game stops being profitable and they shut it down, despite the players begging otherwise! Truly a victory!

Congratulations to all...except the consumer, that is.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic

@mrbojangles25 said:

This is a victory for corporate shitbags and promoters of microtransactions everywhere! I definitely look forward to the day the game stops being profitable and they shut it down, despite the players begging otherwise! Truly a victory!

Congratulations to all...except the consumer, that is.

the consumer is the one buying the microtransactions lol

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56191 Posts

The movie also help gain more followers as it was really a great Gran Turismo movie at that.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Last_Lap  Online
Member since 2023 • 6167 Posts

@nod_calypse: "Racing games seriously suck. They are made for people that like going around in circles, over and over."

That right there is as dumb as it gets.

In a shooting game all you do is shoot over and over, in a hack n slash game all you did is hit roll away, rinse & repeat over and over.

Can you name a single game in history that doesn't have repetition?

I think you should give up gaming and start a new hobby if you don't like doing the same thing over and over again.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Last_Lap  Online

@nod_calypse: "Racing games seriously suck. They are made for people that like going around in circles, over and over."

In a shooting game all you do is shoot over and over, in a hack n slash game all you did is hit roll away, rinse & repeat over and over.

Can you name a single game in history that doesn't have repetition?

I think you should give up gaming and start a new hobby if you don't like doing the same thing over and over again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@last_lap said:

I mean, arguably, going around and around in circles is just about as dumb as it gets.

But you do you.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Last_Lap  Online

@nod_calypse: So you can't name a single game where you don't do the same things over and over again, so I guess all games are dumb to you then.

You should look for a new hobby where you don't do the same thing over and over again, good luck that as you're going to need it lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@last_lap: Hey dude, take pride in your incessant circling!

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Last_Lap  Online

@nod_calypse: I hope you find a new hobby soon 👍

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Last_Lap  Online

@SolidGame_basic: So catching up in terms of earnings not sales.

So the only conclusion here is that GT7's micros (that were added in after the gane was reviewed by everyone and after they said there wouldn't be any) is the reason that it will be the highest earner because we know its not the best selling game in the franchise.

Celebrating micros is just sad.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic

@last_lap said:

So the only conclusion here is that GT7's micros (that were added in after the gane was reviewed by everyone and after they said there wouldn't be any) is the reason that it will be the highest earner because we know its not the best selling game in the franchise.

“Yep, Gran Turismo 7 currently trails only Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec in lifetime dollar sales for franchise releases in the US. Likely to catch up to that at some point this year.”

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1079 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

When the latest Forza is a game made for a $1 renting service, you know the game is a low effort release. Because of it, there's no competition to GT7, so it ain't surprising that its doing well.

True, true

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By loudheadphones
@last_lap said:

MTX in this game are not mandatory nor they are affecting game in any way. And also, grinding in GT7 is very easy.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Last_Lap  Online

@SolidGame_basic: It says highest earning too. So which is it?

"Piscatella confirmed that the game is closing in on becoming the highest-earning game in the franchises history"

In the end hopefully this shows Sony that gamers want more gameplay and less cinematics in their games and get away from the current third person action adventure template it has going.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By loudheadphones
@last_lap said:

"Piscatella confirmed that the game is closing in on becoming the highest-earning game in the franchises history"

In the end hopefully this shows Sony that gamers want more gameplay and less cinematics in their games and get away from the current third person action adventure template it has going.

Racing games have bunch of gameplay, isn't it, huh. Why that dumb comparison with 3rd person games???

Same as Xbox has a 1st person cinematic template and it is selling worse and games are rated worse. Everything is worse on Xbox

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hardwenzen

The latest Forza did so much damage to THE ONLY WELL SCORING IP MS STILL HAS. What Turd10 did is treason to the core.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Last_Lap  Online

@loudheadphones: So Fable, Gears of War are first person? Just because Halo is that doesn't mean it's first person template orientated.

Of course MS games are selling worse, it's what happens when you put your games on a rental service day 1, not rocket science, you should turn down the volume on those loudheadphones as they make be causing you some damage.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15940 Posts

@loudheadphones said:
@last_lap said:

MTX in this game are not mandatory nor they are affecting game in any way. And also, grinding in GT7 is very easy.

Don't ever justify MTX.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8270 Posts

I prefer Forza, but racing games are fun.

I wish one of the developers would make a NASCAR game frfr

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11126 Posts

I give two shits about racing games, but it looks like people are coming to terms with Forza Motorsport being overrated and crowded out by the more popular Horizon, which is now Xbox's flagship "exclusive" franchise. Might be time to take Turn 10 studios in another direction beyond this series after this flop (please do not fucking lay them off, MS).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen

Since the Horizon team is developing the new Fable game, lets give Turn 10 the next Halo. This is how MS rolls😅

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Saint-George  Online
Member since 2023 • 1280 Posts

Damn,those micro transaction cows got milked good.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44129 Posts

When you realize BS Jive has no new games this makes sense. :P

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By loudheadphones
@last_lap said:

@loudheadphones: So Fable, Gears of War are first person? Just because Halo is that doesn't mean it's first person template orientated.

Of course MS games are selling worse, it's what happens when you put your games on a rental service day 1, not rocket science, you should turn down the volume on those loudheadphones as they make be causing you some damage.

So, Killzone, GT are 3rd person cinematic games?? Just because God Of War is that doesn't mean it is 3rd person template oriented. See it now??

Bunch of games on Xbox are fps oriented, yes. Much more than 3rd person oriented on PS. You should run losing last lap for Xbox, yes

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 loudheadphones

@sakaixx said:
@loudheadphones said:
@last_lap said:

Don't ever justify MTX.

Never did. In GT7 aren't mandatory and it doesn't affect progress in any way.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#38 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19580 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Racing sims are boring.

Fixed.

Arcade racers are awesome.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jag85
@davillain said:

The movie also help gain more followers as it was really a great Gran Turismo movie at that.

Still haven't watched it, but have heard it's a very good underrated movie. It didn't do very well at the box office though, so not sure how that would've helped GT7 sales.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Last_Lap  Online

@loudheadphones said:
@last_lap said:

So, Killzone, GT are 3rd person cinematic games?? Just because God Of War is that doesn't mean it is 3rd person template oriented. See it now??

Bunch of games on Xbox are fps oriented, yes. Much more than 3rd person oriented on PS. You should run losing last lap for Xbox, yes

For starters you mentioned Killzone a dead franchise, and GT7 it has multiple viewpoints so mentioning it is just dumb.

3 of the games in your pic are third party games, 5 of them were bought, 1 is Halo and the other I have no idea, so pretty dumb argument on your part.

Sony has a third person action-adventure template, God of War, God of War Ragnarök, Horizon Zero Dawn, Horizon Forbidden West, Last of Us 1 & 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman 1, 2 & Morales, Uncharted 4, Uncharted Legacy, Days Gone and so on. It's become very clear that Sony has been using that template for 2 gens now.

And when Sony pull their finger out and announce new games you can bet they will be Wolverine, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Horizon 3, Venom etc and they will be third person action-adventure games.

Like I said take those loudheadphones off as they're causing some serious damage.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 loudheadphones

@last_lap said:
@loudheadphones said:
@last_lap said:

Like I said take those loudheadphones off as they're causing some serious damage.

Damage to Xbox, yes. Which is gooood. Xbox is totally damaged brand. Keep running losing last lap for Xbox.

So, Xbox has COD, Halo, Wolfenstein, Fallout, Doom, Elder Scrolls, Outer Worlds, Indiana Jones, Deathloop, Sea Of Thieves, Dishonored, Starfield, Redfall, Overwatch and so on. FPS template, yes

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 945 Posts
@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@lamprey263 said:

Luckily, it still has a few more years until Sony will shut down the servers like they did to GT Sport. :P

At least Polyphony did the right thing and released a final patch that allows GT Sport to be playable offline with all your single player progress intact. Other developers/publishers should take notes. This is an example on how to do online "only" games properly

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By VatususReturns
@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Racing sims are boring.

Fixed.

Causals prefer arcade

Racing fans prefer sims

Its as simple as that. Personaly I prefer sims but I can still have some fun with NFS or Burnout here and there but it gets stale after a while. Nothing compares to mastering a corner or the handling of a specific car for a racing fan. Arcade racers just cant compete on that front

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Last_Lap  Online

@loudheadphones: You can take the Fallout games and Starfield out of your Cherry picked lists because you can play them in first OR third person perspectives.

Every game you listed other than Halo and Sea of Thieves is the result of MS buying the company behind those games.

Should I just mention the Spyro & and Crash games which are in third person crush your argument right there and then without having to mention any other of MS games.

You suck at this.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Bought this game for the VR. Coupled with a force feedback steering wheel, pedals and shifter in a cockpit (I also have a fan blowing straight at me which help with motion sickness and keeps your face cool) I tried playing on my tv and it felt like I was driving from the backseat. Most fun vehicle is the gokart. Especially with the fan blowing at you, gives an interesting feeling of speed.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jag85
@vatususreturns said:
@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Racing sims are boring.

Fixed.

Causals prefer arcade

Racing fans prefer sims

Its as simple as that. Personaly I prefer sims but I can still have some fun with NFS or Burnout here and there but it gets stale after a while. Nothing compares to mastering a corner or the handling of a specific car for a racing fan. Arcade racers just cant compete on that front

Depends how much time you want to dedicate to a game. I don't spend much time playing video games anymore, so I prefer shorter arcadey games nowadays. I used to love Gran Turismo back in the PS1 and PS2 days, but it was too much of a time sink compared to arcade racers like OutRun or Burnout.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13019 Posts

@vatususreturns said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@lamprey263 said:

At least Polyphony did the right thing and released a final patch that allows GT Sport to be playable offline with all your single player progress intact. Other developers/publishers should take notes. This is an example on how to do online "only" games properly

Way to defend Sony. GT Sport was released as an online game, hence the “sport”. Offline content was minuscule and the servers were still packed.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KvallyX
@loudheadphones said:
@sakaixx said:
@loudheadphones said:
@last_lap said:

Don't ever justify MTX.

Never did. In GT7 aren't mandatory and it doesn't affect progress in any way.

But it’s annoying. We are always prompted to buy more credits from the PS Store. We don’t want that ad in our face every time we are playing. Stop being a Sony shill and defending this practice.

@last_lap said:

GT7 MTX and a higher retail price compared to GT3.

@hardwenzen said:

The latest Forza did so much damage to THE ONLY WELL SCORING IP MS STILL HAS. What Turd10 did is treason to the core.

How far are you in GT7 and FM8?

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VatususReturns

@kvallyx: At launch you were right, but GT Sport received much sp content later on. The fact Polyphony even cared about preserving its SP content is worthy of praise none the less. Better example than 99% of "online only" developers out there

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KvallyX

@vatususreturns said:

@kvallyx: At launch you were right, but GT Sport received much sp content later on. The fact Polyphony even cared about preserving its SP content is worthy of praise none the less. Better example than 99% of "online only" developers out there

I agree.