Great write-up by Cliffy B defending Anita Sarkeesian.

• 196 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Here is a really great write-up about male gaming culture by your ol' friend Cliffy.

He defends Anita and his points are convincing! 

There are a lot of sad truths in this about how some blokes are behaving. It needs to change.

There is a clown on this board who just made a thread asking if she's an attention wh0re or something. 

I hope those sort of blokes have a good read of this.  

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

If feminists want a female lead character, then why don't they go out and make their own damn game?

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Anita was asking for 6000$ for her campaign. News hit the internet of the campaign, and the Taliban of videogaming responded in droves. Who was thisthiswoman who wanted to analyze women in video games?

It honestly wasn't that simple. Not to defend them, but Anita specifically went out there to bait people to get attention. Not to stay that the board that shall remained unnamed was justified (no they're ****) but Anita wasn't a poor oppressed victim either.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

By the time we got around to Gears 3 the female soldiers were kicking butt right alongside the men in outfits that werent drastically different than the mens, and with a restrained depiction of hair and makeup. (I was just tired of seeing stripper looking female game characters after all of those yearsironic, considering how exaggerated the men were.)

gow-3-samantha-byrne_109617-1920x1200.jp

Anya.jpg

whatever you say cliffy.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I think part of it is that people feel threatened. As if their taste and enjoyment of games is being called bad. Which is silly (of course).

You can enjoy something and be critical of it. You can ask for more. You can expect more. And there is no reason why we shouldn't.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Says the guy who made the most bro shooter on the market?

Also I understand what Anita is getting at. But she's way too intense for her own good.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 biggest_loser

Anita was asking for 6000$ for her campaign. News hit the internet of the campaign, and the Taliban of videogaming responded in droves. Who was thisthiswoman who wanted to analyze women in video games?Lionheart08

It honestly wasn't that simple. Not to defend them, but Anita specifically went out there to bait people to get attention. Not to stay that the board that shall remained unnamed was justified (no they're ****) but Anita wasn't a poor oppressed victim either.

Attention? She was just making a video on something that she felt passionate about and needed funding. People sent her death and rape threats. She was a victim.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 biggest_loser

I think part of it is that people feel threatened. As if their taste and enjoyment of games is being called bad. Which is silly (of course).

You can enjoy something and being critical of it. You can ask for more. You can expect more. And there is no reason why we shouldn't.

whiskeystrike
Yeah thats the problem. So many gamers are so defensive and have this "f*ck the world" attitude because people chip the medium a bit. The important thing to remember is that she IS a gamer herself.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lionheart08

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Anita was asking for 6000$ for her campaign. News hit the internet of the campaign, and the Taliban of videogaming responded in droves. Who was thisthiswoman who wanted to analyze women in video games?biggest_loser

Attention? She was just making a video on something that she felt passionate about and needed funding. People sent her death and rape threats. She was a victim.

She posted a video on 4 Chan. Going there for intellectual discussion is like walking across the interstate blindfolded and wondering why you got hit by a car.

I'm in no way trying to victim blame, but it's no a coincidence that after the trolls attacked her her kickstarter donations went through the roof.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#10 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

"(Im also not the best person to post about misogyny on the internet as Ill be the first one to post a sexy picture of my wife or give young boys tips on how to flirt with girls.)" U w0t Cliffy? that's not misogyny.

Anyway

I won't knock her for her video's topic bcuz I don't care that someone wants to talk about misogony in vidya. Especially since the videos will fade into irrelevance after awhile.

I'll knock her for her video being sh*t-tier. Defend her from the trolls or w/e, that vid was p. bad any way you looked at it.

WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#11 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

You can enjoy something and being critical of it. You can ask for more. You can expect more. And there is no reason why we shouldn't.

whiskeystrike

This. Exactly this.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

The minute she said developers use the trope to fulfill male power fantasies is also the minute any argument she had lost credibility and her agenda displayed its ugly head.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lionheart08

The minute she said developers use the trope to fulfill male power fantasies is also the minute any argument she had lost credibility and hear agenda displayed its ugly head.

GD1551

There's some truth behind that, but she should avoid make generalized statements.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

The minute she said developers use the trope to fulfill male power fantasies is also the minute any argument she had lost credibility and hear agenda displayed its ugly head.

Lionheart08

There's some truth behind that, but she should avoid make generalized statements.

She has no way of knowing that, and further more, straight from cliffy's own mouth -

"Why were there so many princesses in need of rescue? Because it was easy, and for many years we didnt have the tools or desire to try something else."

Seems to me like it wasn't for male power fantasies, it was just being lazy.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 whiskeystrike

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

She has no way of knowing that, and further more, straight from cliffy's own mouth -

"Why were there so many princesses in need of rescue? Because it was easy, and for many years we didnt have the tools or desire to try something else."

It is stated in her video that she recognizes it merely as a justification for gameplay and not the actual point of games.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
Anita sarkeesian gives any good merits feminism could have a bad name she's a complete moron.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dkdk999

whiskeystrike
I don't like the way modern video games have to have sexy women or that our society as a whole is sex obssesed. The problem is that she is simply a dense friggen moron. I mean really even people who agree with her, you think she's intelligent? She just comes across so stupid.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Slashless

what

Anita doesn't come across as stupid.

She comes off as highly-intelligent and respectable.

She's not, but she doesn't come off as a moron unless you can see passed BS really well. She doesn't have all those subscribers for looking like NSFW AmazingAtheist and arguing like a four year old...

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Anita was asking for 6000$ for her campaign. News hit the internet of the campaign, and the Taliban of videogaming responded in droves. Who was thisthiswoman who wanted to analyze women in video games?Lionheart08

She posted a video on 4 Chan. Going there for intellectual discussion is like walking across the interstate blindfolded and wondering why you got hit by a car.

I'm in no way trying to victim blame, but it's no a coincidence that after the trolls attacked her her kickstarter donations went through the roof.

Doesn't that just highlight the fact though that people want change? No one forced them to donate. It was their choice because they realise how pressing this is becoming.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

dkdk999
I don't like the way modern video games have to have sexy women or that our society as a whole is sex obssesed. The problem is that she is simply a dense friggen moron. I mean really even people who agree with her, you think she's intelligent? She just comes across so stupid.

How can you say those two points together? You just said you don't like the way games over-sex women: thats exactly the sort of thing she's fighting against dude..
mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

Clever girl

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Slashless

How can you say those two points together? You just said you don't like the way games over-sex women: thats exactly the sort of thing she's fighting against dude..biggest_loser

You can appreciate the intent but dislike the presentation.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

She needs to work on how she is saying things, not necessarily what she is saying.  

THe material she puts forth is thoughtful and generally correct, but the way she goes about it is a little odd, somewhat akin to a person having legitimate gripes about gun control, and then storming an NRA meeting and squirting them in the face with waterguns.

As for Cliff's write up, I thought it was well said, and directed at the right people (the "boys" as he called them).

Concerning Kickstarter, I am still not sold on it, and think it is a get-rich quick mechanism for many out there, but that is another argument.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dkdk999
[QUOTE="dkdk999"][QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

biggest_loser

How can you say those two points together? You just said you don't like the way games over-sex women: thats exactly the sort of thing she's fighting against dude..

Saying someone is looking at women as "objects" is downright accusing someone of psycopathy, it's a way of guilting men and making them feel bad for their natural urges, it's analagous to the "sin" of sexuality people believed throughout history. Ironically this obsession with sex didn't really get going until the 1970s when feminism took hold.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dkdk999

Not only that, but has no one heard of crazy feminists giving people death threats ?Theres so many examples that show feminists by and large harbor the greatest amount of aggressive lying lunatics on the planet.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

whiskeystrike

It is stated in her video that she recognizes it merely as a justification for gameplay and not the actual point of games.

She says that before and not a minute later says it was popular because it was used to tap into adolescent male power fantasies. She can't make statements like that and expect people to not to question her motives. I also think it says alot that she disabled comments and ratings.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
If people want to have this discussion, I think that's great. The problem I have is that she locks the comments sections and ratings on her videos because she's not a strong enough person to deal with criticism, and she got paid over $150,000 just because people felt sorry for her.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Damsel in distress is a trope. So what? What does that matter towards feminism? If the roles were switched, would she still complain? Better yet, how is it problimatic as she suggests? Video games don't cause violence, and they don't cause people to look at women in an objective way. Things copied the SMB formula because that was the go-to game. How is playing a fat, Italian plumber who jumps on things tapping into male power fantasties more than guns and explosions? What games today are about saving the princess? All we get are CoD/dudebro shooters.

Notice how nothing she presented was modern, only classic and specifically one or two series. It's not an issue, and it never was to begin with. So why is it being brought up at all? Not only that, but she's attacking men and women for things that were never thought. No one played Mario and thought Peach was an object, therefor women are objects and must be treated as such. If anything, it just demonstrates how shallow the storyline/plot is, but that's actually a good thing in Mario games.

You know the industry is running out of creativity when they have to resort to debating about pointless sh!t like this.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 whiskeystrike

Damsel in distress is a trope. So what? What does that matter towards feminism? If the roles were switched, would she still complain? Better yet, how is it problimatic as she suggests? Video games don't cause violence, and they don't cause people to look at women in an objective way. Things copied the SMB formula because that was the go-to game. How is playing a fat, Italian plumber who jumps on things tapping into male power fantasties more than guns and explosions? What games today are about saving the princess? All we get are CoD/dudebro shooters.

Notice how nothing she presented was modern, only classic and specifically one or two series. It's not an issue, and it never was to begin with. So why is it being brought up at all? Not only that, but she's attacking men and women for things that were never thought. No one played Mario and thought Peach was an object, therefor women are objects and must be treated as such. If anything, it just demonstrates how shallow the storyline/plot is, but that's actually a good thing in Mario games.

You know the industry is running out of creativity when they have to resort to debating about pointless sh!t like this.

ChubbyGuy40

It's an introductory video to a twelve part series. These are supposedly the rest of the videos.

The Fighting F#@k Toy - Video #2
The Sexy Sidekick - Video #3
The Sexy Villainess - Video #4
Background Decoration - Video #5
Voodoo Priestess/Tribal Sorceress - Video #6
Women as Reward - Video #7
Mrs. Male Character - Video #8
Unattractive Equals Evil - Video #9
Man with Boobs - Video #10
Positive Female Characters! - Video #11
Top 10 Most Common Defenses of Sexism in Games - Video #12

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Slashless
>The top 10 Most Common Defenses of Sexism in Games oh god this is gonna be a double whammy It's gonna be filled with strawman and poor counter-arguments like Feedbackula and Anita's other videos, and it's the video that's gonna piss off the Internet the most, resulting in what happened last time. That will be both glorious and frustrating.
gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#32 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

I didn't follow the link, and I have no prior knowledge of this situation. However, I feel confident in my decision to post this picture of game with a strong female lead to quell any misgivings about my preferences as a gamer...

FatPrincess.jpg

Dear Mario, I've baked you a cake. Yours truly, Fat Princess.

P.S.- Thank you for the cake.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Noone should defend that ugly ****

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

Noone should defend that ugly ****

Jankarcop

agreed

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

It's an introductory video to a twelve part series. These are supposedly the rest of the videos.

The Fighting F#@k Toy - Video #2
The Sexy Sidekick - Video #3
The Sexy Villainess - Video #4
Background Decoration - Video #5
Voodoo Priestess/Tribal Sorceress - Video #6
Women as Reward - Video #7
Mrs. Male Character - Video #8
Unattractive Equals Evil - Video #9
Man with Boobs - Video #10
Positive Female Characters! - Video #11
Top 10 Most Common Defenses of Sexism in Games - Video #12

whiskeystrike

#2 is gonna be great, because you can damn near guarentee she won't talk about it from the opposite PoV because it'll nullify her argument. How is #8 and #10 any different? Can't wait for #12.

But again so what? They're tropes. Who cares? No one gives a damn about this supposed sexism. Why do we play as musclar and fearless characters on a quest to save the world? Because playing the weak and fat one who complains about the situation the entire time and can do nothing more than shake a stick would be beyond awful. If it's good, people will play it regardless of the gender. We're playing video games, not political and social correctness. If in #11 she lists the new Tomb Raider then she really deserves all of the hate and insults.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#36 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

That list is awesome. I'd like to hear her take on Sexism in P0rnography.

tumblr_m1u3kk0UNk1qf6e86o1_500.gif

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

If someone wants to make a game depicting women (or anything) in any way they want then that's fine. It's their art, and they should be able to do whatever they want with it as freely as their mind allows them to.

Nobody should feel bad for doing what they do, and I personally think it's not right that people set out to discourage others from not expressing themselves, or convince them that what they are doing is wrong.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

Anyone who thinks they can stop any entertainment medium from catering to the lowest common denominator is an idiot.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

ChubbyGuy40

Nothing "causes" men to look at women as objects. They do it naturally/instinctively. Nearly every culture in human history has celebrated the female form as sexual /beautiful. The average male thinks about sex every 15 seconds (or somewhere around there). It's an inevitable result of our sexual dimorphism. Yes, we have a culture that sexualizes women (and men for that matter...though nobody seems to care)...but it's only so rampant because it agrees with our natural impulses. Society can curb some of our most aggressive tendencies (murder, rape, assault, etc) but nothing is going to change men from fantasizing about women. Human beings exist for one purpose. One. To have sex and reproduce. That's it. EVERYTHING else is an artificial, social construct.

Bloody hell...look at most male characters in video games.  They're good-looking, ripped, and shirtless half the time...how come men aren't rioting in the street every time a new fighting game comes out?  Ever been in an Abercrombie & Fitch?  The male models are essentially naked...they're hardly even advertising any clothing.  LOL.  

Meh...double standards...or men simply not caring...

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
[QUOTE="mccoyca112"]

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

magicalclick

Clever girl

I wouldn't to that for money though. It is just too much attention. But, I guess she likes the attention anyway.

She's a social justice warrior who makes Youtube videos. If she WASN'T begging for attention, then I would wonder what her ulterior motive is.
o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

I havnt been around for the past week or so due to moving home so I have missed this piece of news but from what I can understand its basically a woman standing up for feminism (extremely strong opinions that use extremes as examples?) but puts a valid point; for funding a game that what you go around killing these trolls?

I cant check it out properly due to the laptop I am on not having working sound [-_-] but I can imagine that she has valid points but they are sometimes extreme in some cases. Just from the opening 20secs before she starts talking it shows flashes off Mario, sonic, gears, crash bandicoot etc all with helpless looking women. I am just wondering, is her point just based on those games and ignores games like Rainbow six, Cod, Battlefield, in where you save other soliders or helpless men.

For sure, there is still a wave of sexism and over sexualisation of women in games to a degree, but I think it varies alot and to be honest, I would also argue, why are men the ones who have to do all of the work, who have to save everyone, why cant a woman do it. Not in a way that means women cant do it, but why should we except that men are EXPECTED to do it, thats a form of sexism, I personally couldnt careless but its still the same point, a point I think that probably wouldnt be met by feminists :P.

However on the point of this woman being bullied online, there is zero excuse for it. What sort of world do you want to live in where if by you raise your views about issues such as these you are put down so quickly with death threats and threats of rape. Its disgusting and frankly embarrasing because it just taints the "gamer" image. Its like being a football fan, people think you start fights, are stupid, drink lots and more than likely do nothing else with your time. Extremism in any forms is worrying, but an extremist in womens rights shouldnt have responses of death threats and threats of rape and god knows what else. It would be very interesting to see the faces of the people who put these comments, a nice name and shame is always appropiate.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

People wanted this web series. The fact that she got so much money in the first place shows that people agree that it is an issue.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

This guy destroys her.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
Attention whores defend each other, shocking.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Dude huge wrote some pretty great stuff.

She comes off as highly-intelligent and respectable.

Slashless

Not all the time, at all. More often then not there's agenda first - actual subject second - and your usual undergrad grade research put into video form - hence the reasonable criticism of her.

Which isn't to say 'oh she's bad and irrelevant at all'.

This guy destroys her.

KiZZo1

The problem with Instig8ive's stuff here* is that he falls into the exact same trap she does - pushing an agenda first, which well, discrediting her entirely in this instance.

And hell, I say that liking the guys videos and even twitter stuff here and there.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#48 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

The article is too boring to read. I tried like 5 times today and I just start skipping bits and don't see what all the fuss is about at all.
This is a woman who dislikes the portrayal of women in videogames or so? And she got money to 'study' how right she is? I don't really see how she matters.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#50 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

OK so there was an uproar about her wanting to 'analyze' how females are portrayed in videogames. I understand why. Videogames are constantly under pressure of animal activists, feminists, politicians, artists and now even the weapons industry who try to turn videogames (or restrict I should say) to something only they approve of.
Now Cliffy wants to be saving the damsel in distress by posting an article like this, ridiculing the response (which we know from history is the absolute worst way to deal with criticism on the internet) and being very one sided without actually posting an argument for or against. I see a lot of ridiculing and none of the criticism is adressed and none of her reasons for why she should have the kickstarter are adressed. It's merely saying "Look how STUPID you are! Look at you! You look so STUPID!" in way too many words.