**Halo 3 - IGN AU Scores 8.9**

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts

Closing Comments:

I agree with you that this isn't quite a 9/10 game. There's no denying how awesome the replay and Forge features are - but they're not the core of the game. Don't get me wrong, the single player campaign is very strong, the action is tight, and the AI is F.E.A.R.-killing. But for every positive, there was an area of the game that left me wanting more - the backtracking, the overly cheesy storyline, the underwhelming visuals. And multiplayer feels too much like a HD-version of Halo 2 with a few gadgets you can toss around. Which to Halo fans is fine - but compared to other online shooters, I get the feeling that Halo 3 is staying a little too close to its roots. It doesn't really matter what you or I think Cam - Halo 3 will still sell more copies in the first second of release than all of the games ever created in the history of electronic entertainment combined. But does that make it the best game on the 360? I think not.

9.5Presentation
Oh man oh man oh man - so many options and features! The Forge, replays and serious tweakability.

8.0Graphics
A long way from the prettiest 360 game, but it does have its own cla$$ and charms.

9.5Sound
A rousing orchestral score is complemented by lots of chatter between characters.8.5Gameplay
Very very solid, but in raw gameplay terms doesn't really break much new ground.9.0Lasting Appeal
Short campaign, but almost limitless multiplayer. If you dig Halo's online action, you'll be in heaven.

8.9 Great OVERALL

LINK: http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/822/822714p1.html

8.9, the real score this game deserved.

donmohsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 donmohsin
Member since 2003 • 1083 Posts
Oh noes, blasphemies!!! :D
Chetnik07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Chetnik07
Member since 2007 • 272 Posts

GS did give HALO3 a higher score than it deserved, if u read their review they made halo3 look like an online game only and nothing to do with single player. One of my friends finished Halo3 in 7 and 1/2 hours and the second time in 4 hours.

Halo3 is a great game but there is no way it deserves 9.5 with todays GS standards.

Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
i took my time beating the game so the experience was both long and fun.
Fruity_mixer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fruity_mixer
Member since 2005 • 1227 Posts
I played it throught 2 times, and spend 20+ hours in MP. I honestly think it totaly deserved a 9.5. It is just fun and cool.
Sir_Crocidile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sir_Crocidile
Member since 2004 • 389 Posts

I love how Gamespot scores games today. How they apparently are so harsh and hardcore compared to other sites and give games like Skate or such a 7.0 or 7.5 for stuff. I'm not saying Skate is 9.0 worthy cause its not. But i love how they rate Blue Dragon a typical Japanese RPG a 6.5 but Halo which hardly has changed since 2001 a 9.5. Funny. How much did they pay you to lie Gamespot? The game does nothing diffrent since the first release accept give a few new things. I know i own them all. I do enjoy messing around with it, but i rather take Half Life any day over this. Half Life 2 at least gave us the Gravity Gun. What has Halo 3 given us so far? Mostly scratched discs for those who got the collectors edition. Gamespot you can ban my account for telling the truth, but you guys are horrible at reviews and suck when it comes to being all harsh like you claim to be. I can't wait to see what you give StarCraft 2 or Call of Duty 4. I am no fan of the Call of Duty series but man that new one just in seeing it in action a little bit blows Halo 3 out of the water. Gamespot gave Zelda, Tony Hawk 2, Soul Caliber, and i forgot the other game a perfect 10. Yet neither of them did anythign that special to warrant perfect 10's either. All evovled over previous games instead of revolutionized. Street Fighter 2, StarCraft and Half Life 1 might be the last games that truly revolutionized a genre in gaming. Microsoft must paid off many to score Halo 3 that high, even lil high school fanboys who have no idea of a good FPS game should know better. Halo 3 deserved a 7.5. Horrible single player storyline. And a 10 year old Quake 2 style Multi PLayer that was being done on PC's in the mid 90's. Sumotaii

Ya no kidding. I mean, I'm sure they paid Gamespy, IGN, Game Informer, 1up, Gamepro, and nearly 30 more magazines and review sites tons of cash just to rate the game high.

or it could be a good game. Who knows? Regardless I think you should cry more. For the record, Call of Duty 4 feels almost identical to Battlefield 2.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

I love how Gamespot scores games today. How they apparently are so harsh and hardcore compared to other sites and give games like Skate or such a 7.0 or 7.5 for stuff. I'm not saying Skate is 9.0 worthy cause its not. But i love how they rate Blue Dragon a typical Japanese RPG a 6.5 but Halo which hardly has changed since 2001 a 9.5. Funny. How much did they pay you to lie Gamespot? The game does nothing diffrent since the first release accept give a few new things. I know i own them all. I do enjoy messing around with it, but i rather take Half Life any day over this. Half Life 2 at least gave us the Gravity Gun. What has Halo 3 given us so far? Mostly scratched discs for those who got the collectors edition. Gamespot you can ban my account for telling the truth, but you guys are horrible at reviews and suck when it comes to being all harsh like you claim to be. I can't wait to see what you give StarCraft 2 or Call of Duty 4. I am no fan of the Call of Duty series but man that new one just in seeing it in action a little bit blows Halo 3 out of the water. Gamespot gave Zelda, Tony Hawk 2, Soul Caliber, and i forgot the other game a perfect 10. Yet neither of them did anythign that special to warrant perfect 10's either. All evovled over previous games instead of revolutionized. Street Fighter 2, StarCraft and Half Life 1 might be the last games that truly revolutionized a genre in gaming. Microsoft must paid off many to score Halo 3 that high, even lil high school fanboys who have no idea of a good FPS game should know better. Halo 3 deserved a 7.5. Horrible single player storyline. And a 10 year old Quake 2 style Multi PLayer that was being done on PC's in the mid 90's. Sumotaii

cry more wall of text boy. Just skimmed over all that ^ because I needed a laugh. We all know there was going to be some reviewer looking for attention by givingone of the greatest games of all time a rating it doesnt deserve.All those games that scored 10, with the exception of TH2 deserved 10's. They where awsome in their time. Also,Halo 3 easily deserves it AAA status, and if you actually played it, you'd realise this.Enjoy your ban.

PS: I have the collecters edition, along with 2 of my friends & my cousin. Perfect Condition ^^

Sumotaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sumotaii
Member since 2003 • 648 Posts
Dam right but if morons keep buying games that don;t change a thing just like Madden Football, companies will continue to churn out complete junk for the massess. Just like music has died in America and Television due to casual crap and stuff like MTV, gaming is slowly becoming crap compared to what it was in the 90's. Complete Joke. And the Japanese can't even say a thing to cause there scene which use to be the best in hardcore has become a mini game country. Keep buying useless games like WWE Smackdown, Madden, and horrible wannabe FPS games on consoles that were doing this crap in cought cough 1995 then companies will not even attempt to do something diffrent anymore. And when they do like Shenmue or Shadow of the Colusess(cant spell tonight) They don;t sell anyway.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -CheeseEater-

Technically, that's about right to me. Very good, but not quite legendary.

Still, I think the "tilt" factor is real, and should be enough to knock it into the 9's. The fact that everyone you know will be playing, millions of online users, and the end of an epic gaming saga is worth something.

whoisryanmack
Sorry mate, IGN doesn't rate on averages...I thought you would have known that basic information.
Avatar image for deactivated-62d1b87aec423
deactivated-62d1b87aec423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 deactivated-62d1b87aec423
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts

Wall of text crits you for over 9,000 damage.

You throw down a bubble shield

You are invulnerable.

You sprint out, spiking your empty pistol down and drawing your MA5C assault rifle.

You have slain wall of text boy!
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts
[QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]

Still, I think the "tilt" factor is real, and should be enough to knock it into the 9's. The fact that everyone you know will be playing, millions of online users, and the end of an epic gaming saga is worth something.

-CheeseEater-

Sorry mate, IGN doesn't rate on averages...I thought you would have known that basic information.

Where did I say anything about averages?

ghoulsandghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ghoulsandghost
Member since 2007 • 507 Posts
i agree, halo 3 is not the best looking game for the 360. espically when you have Bioshock, Gears of war and upcoming games like COD4, Masseffect .
Sir_Crocidile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sir_Crocidile
[QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]

-CheeseEater-

(9.5 + 9.5 + 9 + 8.5 + 8 )/5= 8.9, sure seems like an average to me.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -CheeseEater-

[QUOTE="Sumotaii"]I love how Gamespot scores games today. How they apparently are so harsh and hardcore compared to other sites and give games like Skate or such a 7.0 or 7.5 for stuff. I'm not saying Skate is 9.0 worthy cause its not. But i love how they rate Blue Dragon a typical Japanese RPG a 6.5 but Halo which hardly has changed since 2001 a 9.5. Funny. How much did they pay you to lie Gamespot? The game does nothing diffrent since the first release accept give a few new things. I know i own them all. I do enjoy messing around with it, but i rather take Half Life any day over this. Half Life 2 at least gave us the Gravity Gun. What has Halo 3 given us so far? Mostly scratched discs for those who got the collectors edition. Gamespot you can ban my account for telling the truth, but you guys are horrible at reviews and suck when it comes to being all harsh like you claim to be. I can't wait to see what you give StarCraft 2 or Call of Duty 4. I am no fan of the Call of Duty series but man that new one just in seeing it in action a little bit blows Halo 3 out of the water. Gamespot gave Zelda, Tony Hawk 2, Soul Caliber, and i forgot the other game a perfect 10. Yet neither of them did anythign that special to warrant perfect 10's either. All evovled over previous games instead of revolutionized. Street Fighter 2, StarCraft and Half Life 1 might be the last games that truly revolutionized a genre in gaming. Microsoft must paid off many to score Halo 3 that high, even lil high school fanboys who have no idea of a good FPS game should know better. Halo 3 deserved a 7.5. Horrible single player storyline. And a 10 year old Quake 2 style Multi PLayer that was being done on PC's in the mid 90's. Twin-Blade

cry more wall of text boy. Just skimmed over all that ^ because I needed a laugh. We all know there was going to be some reviewer looking for attention by givingone of the greatest games of all time a rating it doesnt deserve.All those games that scored 10, with the exception of TH2 deserved 10's. They where awsome in their time. Also,Halo 3 easily deserves it AAA status, and if you actually played it, you'd realise this.Enjoy your ban.

PS: I have the collecters edition, along with 2 of my friends & my cousin. Perfect Condition ^^

Good Game (a very well off true game show in Australia) rated Halo 3, 8.5. They to thought that it was far to much the same, and that the SP had stepped down a notch. Mate, I think that many American reviewers jumped on board the Halo 3 badwagon and never looked back. Would you care to explain 360 Magazine UK's review of Halo 2, giving it a 8.0?

On a side note, Zelda TP and Super Smash Brothers Melee n-e-e-v-v-e-e-r-r where worthly of AAA status where they, even though I beleive them to be the best that the GC has to offer.

Avatar image for deactivated-62d1b87aec423
deactivated-62d1b87aec423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 deactivated-62d1b87aec423
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
Man its fun pissing off Halo Fanboys. There more sensitive then the EMO kids today i make fun of to. I think Halo Fanboys are worse then NY media after a sports team loses. Sumotaii

I love pissing off Halo haters. They are more sensitive than Emo kids today I make fun of too. I think Halo haters are worse than the NY Media because they can't even form actual paragraphs and just hit you with walls of text after losing to several game reviewer websites all over the world.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -CheeseEater-
[QUOTE="-CheeseEater-"][QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]

Sir_Crocidile

Here we are, a quote from IGN's review clearly states: 8.9
GreatOVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)
Sir_Crocidile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sir_Crocidile
[QUOTE="Sir_Crocidile"][QUOTE="-CheeseEater-"][QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]

-CheeseEater-

GreatOVERALL

I saw their text, I don't buy it though, not when I can do the math and find that it is indeed an average.

Wil4hire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Wil4hire
Member since 2007 • 650 Posts
This is kinda old news. But 8.9 is still high for an fps.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -CheeseEater-
[QUOTE="-CheeseEater-"][QUOTE="Sir_Crocidile"][QUOTE="-CheeseEater-"][QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]

Sir_Crocidile

GreatOVERALL

I saw their text, I don't buy it though, not when I can do the math and find that it is indeed an average.

Alrighty mate, I understand. What games are you playing atm? :D
Sir_Crocidile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sir_Crocidile
[QUOTE="Sir_Crocidile"]

-CheeseEater-

Well at the moment its halo 3. That will likely be my multiplayer game for a while but I still need to finish up blue dragon because skate is on the way. Ugh, far to many great games are getting released at the same time over these next few months.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -CheeseEater-
[QUOTE="-CheeseEater-"][QUOTE="Sir_Crocidile"]

Sir_Crocidile

Well at the moment its halo 3. That will likely be my multiplayer game for a while but I still need to finish up blue dragon because skate is on the way. Ugh, far to many great games are getting released at the same time over these next few months.

"Ugh, far to many great games are getting released at the same time over these next few months. "

Dear lord I have to agree, I don't even have the time to play them all, let alone afford them...:? :lol:

BrooklynBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrooklynBomber
Member since 2007 • 1507 Posts
How could halo 3 only get a 8.9 didn't the site get the free $800 gift bag ??
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
Member since 2006 • 1699 Posts

Damage Control FTL!!!

I love jealous people. :)

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts
lol, the single player is the best ive ever played. gg AU. gg.
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
Member since 2006 • 1699 Posts

How could halo 3 only get a 8.9 didn't the site get the free $800 gift bag ??BrooklynBomber

it was the Australian site.

and they weren't bribing them. that happens ALL the time. People are only freaking out about it now because it's halo.

Avatar image for anotherhaloguy1
anotherhaloguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 anotherhaloguy1
Member since 2007 • 146 Posts
When will you people get over it and stop all of this hate for halo 3.
hokioma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hokioma
Member since 2005 • 193 Posts
But he failed to realise that the campaign is 4 player online Co-op and with the new campaign scoring system that alone makes it bumped over to a 9... Oh well everyone can't love halo... And IGN AU has no meaning here in GS system wars anyways :P
SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts

lol, the single player is the best ive ever played. gg AU. gg.lespaul1919

That's my opinion too. Have you got all the skulls yet?

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts

GS did give HALO3 a higher score than it deserved, if u read their review they made halo3 look like an online game only and nothing to do with single player. One of my friends finished Halo3 in 7 and 1/2 hours and the second time in 4 hours.

Halo3 is a great game but there is no way it deserves 9.5 with todays GS standards.

Chetnik07
Yeh .... if you look at Gamerankings, Halo 3 is averaging out to be less then Twilight Princess (in review scores) ...
Ogre_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ogre_Mage
Member since 2005 • 3202 Posts
It just can't come close to the original. Halo > Halo 3 > Halo 2. The mutiplayer on 3 is so fun though with some friends. I guess that score is about right.
whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

Yea, we can listen to IGn Au or listen to GS,IGN,IGN UK and 1up.

Damage control at its best.And before you say "but MS bribed them", take a minute to play the game yourselves

RonnieLottinSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RonnieLottinSF
Member since 2007 • 1474 Posts
Another sour grapes thread.
stefanlek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 stefanlek
Member since 2007 • 802 Posts

Halo 3 deserved an 8.5-9 and we all know it.

no way did it deserve a 9.5

thats just a joke, imo gamespot gave a very random review and ignored halo 3s flaws

Bioshock is a better game then halo3 and somehow scored lower - dont get me wrong halo 3 is a great game but hasnt done enough innovative things to truly deserve a 9.5(close to perfection)

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

[QUOTE="Sumotaii"]I love how Gamespot scores games today. How they apparently are so harsh and hardcore compared to other sites and give games like Skate or such a 7.0 or 7.5 for stuff. I'm not saying Skate is 9.0 worthy cause its not. But i love how they rate Blue Dragon a typical Japanese RPG a 6.5 but Halo which hardly has changed since 2001 a 9.5. Funny. How much did they pay you to lie Gamespot? The game does nothing diffrent since the first release accept give a few new things. I know i own them all. I do enjoy messing around with it, but i rather take Half Life any day over this. Half Life 2 at least gave us the Gravity Gun. What has Halo 3 given us so far? Mostly scratched discs for those who got the collectors edition. Gamespot you can ban my account for telling the truth, but you guys are horrible at reviews and suck when it comes to being all harsh like you claim to be. I can't wait to see what you give StarCraft 2 or Call of Duty 4. I am no fan of the Call of Duty series but man that new one just in seeing it in action a little bit blows Halo 3 out of the water. Gamespot gave Zelda, Tony Hawk 2, Soul Caliber, and i forgot the other game a perfect 10. Yet neither of them did anythign that special to warrant perfect 10's either. All evovled over previous games instead of revolutionized. Street Fighter 2, StarCraft and Half Life 1 might be the last games that truly revolutionized a genre in gaming. Microsoft must paid off many to score Halo 3 that high, even lil high school fanboys who have no idea of a good FPS game should know better. Halo 3 deserved a 7.5. Horrible single player storyline. And a 10 year old Quake 2 style Multi PLayer that was being done on PC's in the mid 90's. Twin-Blade

I'm sorry but THS appart from OOT is probably the safest 10 GS has given. At the time it was by far the best skating game around and god damn it was good.

And no the IGN score is not just to get attention.

See now all the Australian reviews of Halo 3 so far have scored it under 9 (well the two that I've seen/heard have) and I'm sure this will continue so they're hardly going tob e getting much attention except with idiots on the internet like this but what's the point of that?
To be fair you could argue that they're scoring it low in Aus so that they don't look like they're bumming the Halo franchise but that's a load of crap aswell.

rocklegacy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 rocklegacy2
Member since 2005 • 8428 Posts
I actually agree with that score. Halo 3 doesn't deserve more than a 9 in my opinion.
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
i agree with them.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -CheeseEater-

Damage Control FTL!!!

I love jealous people. :)

KAS3Y_JAM3Z

:| Oh yes, IGN is is serious damage control I know....:|*shakes head*

welltarnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 welltarnation
Member since 2005 • 118 Posts
8.9 is the actual non-biased score it should receive, and this is coming from someone who wanted it to get a 7ish mainly because I don't like a lot of its fanbase and think it's polished mediocrity.
Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts
Who cares, 8.9 is still a great score. Some of you guys are too friggin' obsessed with numerical scores.
welltarnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 welltarnation
Member since 2005 • 118 Posts

Who cares, 8.9 is still a great score. Some of you guys are too friggin' obsessed with numerical scores.Zerostatic0

No, I definitely agree with you. It's silly to expect to be able to quantify goodness. It's just that a lot of people are using said number as if it should end all arguments. Now if I were to try and place a number system on things, a 9+ is something that should rarely be given out (some of the next gen 9's were kind of a joke).

I wish review sites would have at least two alternate opinions. I'd use the same three reviewers for each game and not allow the others to look at one another's review until all were completed. I realize time would be the hardship, but it would be nice to say, "me and so-and-so have similar tastes based on his/her past reviews, I'm going to focus mainly on what he/her says.

And I miss the days when MP was a nice addition, not something that brought the score down if the game didn't include it.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -CheeseEater-
Who cares, 8.9 is still a great score. Some of you guys are too friggin' obsessed with numerical scores.Zerostatic0
Sorry, I never intended to sound "friggin' obsessed with numerical scores", I'm just pointing out that not everyone think's Halo 3 (in the non-biased context)is the best thing toever hit gaming yet.
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts

[QUOTE="Zerostatic0"]Who cares, 8.9 is still a great score. Some of you guys are too friggin' obsessed with numerical scores.-CheeseEater-
Sorry, I never intended to sound "friggin' obsessed with numerical scores", I'm just pointing out that not everyone think's Halo 3 (in the non-biased context)is the best thing toever hit gaming yet.

Best ever. Hell no. Best right now, yes.

Wahoo2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wahoo2k
Member since 2003 • 574 Posts

lol, the single player is the best ive ever played. gg AU. gg.lespaul1919

you can't have played many games then.

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
yeah i agree
Calroffz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Calroffz
Member since 2006 • 57 Posts
Looks like it scored pretty damn good everywhere.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Wow... a review with negative criticism about Halo... what's the world coming to?