BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

The Last of Us 2 was only the 2nd biggest announcement. The most requested sequel this gen:

Actually looks much improved over the original. PS4 needs more games about fun and less about cinematic walking.

Updated with impressions from journalists:

The game openly acknowledges the shortcomings of its predecessor (one character says to Knack, “it’s hard to believe you saved the world. All you know are three punches and a kick”) and has actually added a pretty robust moveset for combat and platforming.

but he’s also learned a few new tricks. He can switch between a small version and large version of himself at any point (which comes in handy for platforming sections) and he has a shield for deflecting incoming projectiles or generally blocking damage. His other abilities include a dash, body slam, multi-punch, jump kick, and a few other basic combat moves.

What makes the system more robust is a skill tree for upgrading any individual move or ability. Throughout Knack’s levels, you’ll collect Relic Energy, and you can spend that to increase power, range, or several other variables depending on your play style. You can also pick up additional, more advanced moves for Knack, like the ability to stun enemies from a distance or pull them closer to you from afar, Scorpion-style.]

These moves also help in the platforming sections, which often involve switching back and forth between large and small Knack to get by, and also offer several hidden areas, where you can find extra Relic Energy or parts to build devices to earn new abilities or augments. The linear paths from the first game are now reserved for Easy difficulty, while the Normal and Hard paths are a bit more complicated. You’ll actually pass blocked off sections where the Easy path would be as you play through on higher difficulties, which is a smart way to literally divide the game into a version for younger or less experienced players versus one for people looking for a challenge.

http://ign.com/articles/2016/12/04/psx-2016-knack-2-tries-to-fix-the-shortcomings-of-the-original

Within just a few minutes of play, Knack 2 establishes itself as a more fully-featured game, feeling a little bit like a linear Jak & Daxter experience with strong cooperative play. In the first stage I played, which showcases a high level of verticality, platforming is the primary focus, sending Knack across moving platforms and open chasms that push the player to approach them in different ways. One jumping exercise may simply ask you to time your jump to land on a moving platform, whereas the next challenge may require a double jump and spinning glide (a la Jak & Daxter) to land safely on a ledge before a door closes and blocks your passage

The platforming is nicely varied and paced in this stage. Knack's ability to transform into an average-sized or smaller being is also used for a variety of platforming and navigation puzzles in this area. Some doors don't open fully, which requires quick thinking on the player's part to hit the R1 button quickly enough to shrink down to squeeze under the small gap. Little Knack is also used for a variety of secrets, such as jumping through small windows or scurrying across tiny ledges to reach new areas.

Combat sequences are also dispersed throughout this stage. Knack has a wider selection of combat techniques at his disposal, including charge attacks, aerial slams, and a shield that is primarily used for defense, but the player can also try to time their block to initiate a counter move that can send an arrow hurling back at their attacker. When a second player jumps into the game for couch co-op, a new combat mechanic emerges, and it's quite clever. Rather than directly attacking enemies, the two players (who take the form of different-colored Knacks with the same set of abilities this time around) will find benefit in attacking each other. Yes, it may sound like an act of griefing, but if one Knack punches the other, the result is a spray of bullets rocketing from his back. If that player holds down the punch button to initiate a series of rapid punches, stationary Knack almost turns into a gatling gun, spraying a steady stream of bullets at anyone behind him. Every attack produces a different co-op benefit. A ground slam makes the other Knack explode, producing a grenade-like effect. A charged-up punch, can send the other Knack flying like a corkscrew forward.

The original Knack focused mostly on combat, but Knack 2 seems to emphasize exploration a bit more. I didn't get a strong sense of the story that will unfold in this sequel, but the gameplay is vastly improved, and if the remainder of the game showcases the level of variety I saw in two demo levels, Knack 2 could be a nice surprise for PlayStation 4 in 2017.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/knack_2/b/playstation4/archive/2016/12/04/one-of-the-nicest-surprises-of-psx-knack-2.aspx

You know those second games that improve on every aspect of the original to create a great sequel? Knack 2 seems to be rising into that category.

We'll also get to play around with new elemental abilities, including a metal Knack. One of its abilities is dropping small pieces of metal on the ground, which can be used to lead electricity. An ability that might come in handy when encountering an elevator with no power, closed electrical doors, etc. Variety seems to get a lot of focus this time around, and not just in terms of platforming and puzzles, but combat as well.

Both Knack and his enemies have improved their combat skills. Knack will now do different attacks depending on if you're pushing or holding the different buttons, and combining these will deliver different results. This will come in handy as different enemies have different strengths and weaknesses. One of the examples we came across was a Knack-looking creature that was able to block any attack, except the power attack. This is done by holding down the circle button. If you just were to push it, Knack would kick instead. Another example is the projectile throwing enemies. You now have the ability to shield yourself by holding the L1 button. Timing this perfectly will reflect incoming projectiles right back at them. If you find it to difficult it's also possible to just dash out of the way with the right analogue stick.

The level design is more detailed and open, which gives room for exploration and more varied activities. Throw in the implementation of co-op, a deeper combat system, an upgrade system, and more replay value and you have yourself a game that will please fans, while also pulling in the doubters.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/previews/487203/Knack%202

The game is set to release in the 2nd half of 2017.

Could Knack 2 be the greatest comeback in videogame history? (Original scored a 4 here)

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

lol

lolzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lolzman
Member since 2016 • 371 Posts

@biack_goku said:

The Last of Us 2 was only the 2nd biggest announcement. The most requested sequel this gen:

Loading Video...

Actually looks much improved over the original. PS4 needs more games about fun and less about cinematic walking.

Yep! Footage shows vast improvements over the first Knack.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

People will laugh, but my understanding was there's actually a passable framework in the original - so maybe this won't drown in mediocrity if they listened to feedback? Game looks good in the trailer (but they usually do, so...)

I think the bigger win is the fact that there were a number of platformer and other less-common-these-days-on-the-system games presented, including this. Cinematic stuff can be good, but the fatigue in the community is showing on that

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

TLHBO

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Not interested lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

There are so many better games out there that never get a sequel, yet this game gets a sequel..

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

It actually looked good ... better than what I though.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

Not interested....at all. **yawn**

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Cool, it's got co-op.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

Awesome. Can't WAIT for this game.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

And no one cared

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

lol, this one surprised me.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

@aigis said:

TLHBO

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18827 Posts

@sSubZerOo: "There are so many better games out there that never get a sequel, yet this game gets a sequel.."

Will Sony charged $60 for it?

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Sony has won guys! EHBO, Everybody Has Been Owned! Knack 2 is the reason PS4 will remain the leader of the 8th generation of console gaming! You don't need to wait for greatness anymore, Knack 2 is here, greatness is here! Thank you Godny!

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

What are the odds it will outsell its competing Mario game again?

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

HA, HA, HA. No thanks Sony, I fell for this garbage the first time around, not doing it a second time.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts
Loading Video...

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

Bruh who the **** asked for this?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@makemefamous07 said:

Looks terrible and looks just like the the first game which was awful game. Sony fans were in torture hell having to pick the first knack or Borezone Shadowballs at launch of the PS4 lol. One of the worst games ever made

Yeah, it looks almost exactly the same...

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11816 Posts
Loading Video...

@dynamitecop:

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#25 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

GoTY confirmed.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
Loading Video...

WE DID IT BABY !!! KNACK 2 BABY !!$?!@$asfsDFJSDIF

WAT U GONA DO WHEN KNACK 2, RUNS WILD ON YOU.

LCNACL CK 222 2

THEY MAKING KANACK 222 22 2OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#27 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Didn't see that one coming.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Sony: "Okay, so we have pro patches for Rise of the Tomb Raider...Uncharted 4...The Last of Us...Horizon..."

Cerny: "And knack too! Don't forget my masterpiece! I'll even do it for free aren't I generous!"

Sony: "Sure, we're all thankful for that..."

Cerny: "Not half as thankful as when you realize I spent your money to fund a sequel!"

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

I must be one of 3 people that actually didn't mind Knack... so this looks cool.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I must be one of 3 people that actually didn't mind Knack... so this looks cool.

Add me to that list man. I enjoyed it more than most of the over hyped, cut and paste, unfinished shit that gets pushed out this gen.

If they make some improvements even better.

Most of the knob jockeys round here are so focused on sticking a microscope up a games ass and then ripping every little detail to pieces that they have no idea how to kick back, relax and chill a bit and do what I play games for, to have a bit of fun.

*Flame shield activated.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

so out of all the sequels we desperately want. Sony decided to give Mark Cerny another shot at with Knack 2 that no one wanted.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

I was cool with the first game and will try Knack 2 at some point.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

and sony still can't release knack for playstation gold

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

Jokes aside, it's a couch co op game of high production value and the game actually looks vastly superior to the first. I was sold on when I saw some intense combat and I actually started hyping for it when I saw equalized couch co op, not simply "oh the other person can kind of support"

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:
Loading Video...

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

I hear the 1st one was crap. Why waste money on that when we could get another infamous or a new ip

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44683 Posts

I think this could do worse than the first, back then the first game was among a small list of games available for the system, now people have numerous better options for things to play, plus those who know of Knack largely don't regard it well so it has another uphill battle there.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Yes, because the first Knack was such a critical and commercial success.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3066 Posts

Oh shit! The big Knack attack!

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17458 Posts

What? Why?

Why not use that money for Infamous 4?

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

@Basinboy: when did it outsell Mario the first time sir?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

I really want to know why this is even being made. I can't possibly imagine Knack sold well and it was a big flop critically. They should have just had the devs start some other project.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

@wiiboxstation: www.lazygamer.net/general-news/knack-has-outsold-super-mario-3d-world-in-the-uk/

In their first two months on the market Knack beat out Mario 3D World in the U.K.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

@Basinboy: so it beat Mario for 2 months lol. What happened after that?

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

It's going to be funny when this game scores higher then QB and GEOW 4 lol

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Name me one 2017 Bone exclusive that is better. Only one exclusive.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

The best thing about Knack 2 is that no one will care if it gets delayed or canceled.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

Honestly it's a meme but this game looks pretty damn good, couch co op is extremely rare nowadays and the combat looks pretty polished