Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70406 Posts

Folks who purchase a newer version may get the inferior version to that of the launch version.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pedro

@girlusocrazy: I have never experience a smaller heatsink performing better than a larger heatsink.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39706 Posts

It already looked like a POS inside when compared to the XboneX, Series X and Series S. How are they going below POS levels?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pedro

@hardwenzen said:

It already looked like a POS inside when compared to the XboneX, Series X and Series S. How are they going below POS levels?

It is large but I don't think it looks like a POS.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

So a seemingly more efficient fan, but offset buy a (sizably) smaller heatsink, as well as more potential trimmings. I'll be interested to see how it plays out, if it does at all, but clearly a cost-cutting scenario.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hardwenzen

@Pedro said:
@hardwenzen said:

It is large but I don't think it looks like a POS.

Compared to how well the likes of a series x is built inside, yes it does look like trash, and i am referring to the original, not this downgraded version that is even worse. Expensive system, but looks and feels so cheap. Same can't be said about the series x and s (or even the XboneX).

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think I've lost all interest in a ps5 at this point - maybe if the "slim" or "pro" comes in with a better design

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Absolutely disgusting will not buy the "newer worse model" and can't find an original anymore so ill skip ps5.

Purely a cost cutting move the 400 dollar ps5 was too good of a value they destroy the cooling and cheapened it up. remember the ps3 regular slim with george forman slide grill? Yeah it was worse than the fat ps3 and the super slim and was cheap as hell parts trying to fool consumers shame on you sony your disgusting we see right through you.

I'll stick to playing hades on my switch lite in bed or wherever I go I don't need a ps5 with the switch around.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro

@hardwenzen said:

Compared to how well the likes of a series x is built inside, yes it does look like trash, and i am referring to the original, not this downgraded version that is even worse. Expensive system, but looks and feels so cheap. Same can't be said about the series x and s (or even the XboneX).

You think it looks like a POS, I don't, nowhere to go to from there.

For what the PS5 offers and the fact that it is comparatively price with its competition, I can't see how you can claim it is an expensive system.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8386 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I think I've lost all interest in a ps5 at this point - maybe if the "slim" or "pro" comes in with a better design

yup same, its ugly imo

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hardwenzen
@Pedro said:
@hardwenzen said:

You think it looks like a POS, I don't, nowhere to go to from there.

For what the PS5 offers and the fact that it is comparatively price with its competition, I can't see how you can claim it is an expensive system.

I am not calling the system a pos, nor am i calling its specs being bad, but how it looks/feels on the outside and how its built on the inside (again, compared to its competition).

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

A worse model lol. Hope this doesn't affect the disc version, but it most likely will. It's the PS3 all over again.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9839 Posts

@Pedro: Compared to an xsx it’s bigger, louder, weaker, runs hotter, is lacking Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision, VRR, 1440p support, Alexa support, has an inferior expansion solution, an inferior crossgen solution, an inferior game rental solution, a smaller SSD and an inferior crosssave solution.

In my opinion.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pedro

@hardwenzen said:

I am not calling the system a pos, nor am i calling its specs being bad, but how it feels and looks/feels on the outside and how its built on the inside (again, compared to its competition).

As I have said, there is not much to move forward on with regards to the look of the system, because that is all personal taste. I can't argue that you are wrong or right on your dislike of the system's visual appeal.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen

Give Sony an additional year, and Soulja Boy systems will be better built at that point😎

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen

@Pedro said:
@hardwenzen said:

I am not calling the system a pos, nor am i calling its specs being bad, but how it feels and looks/feels on the outside and how its built on the inside (again, compared to its competition).

As I have said, there is not much to move forward on with regards to the look of the system, because that is all personal taste. I can't argue that you are wrong or right on your dislike of the system's visual appeal.

You have seen both disassemblies of the X and ps5 made by DF. The difference is pretty darn big.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11704 Posts

Top tier build quality from Mark Cerny and co.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sealionact

Yeah, putting a smaller heat sink in a console that already runs hotter than it’s rival is asking for trouble. Especially when you’re asking people to put extremely hot SSD’ in the expansion slot.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

@sealionact: man, look at that list. I should just get ready to trade my PS5 in today. Get your knowledge from this guy SW.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro

@hardwenzen said:

You have seen both disassemblies of the X and ps5 made by DF. The difference is pretty darn big.

If you talking specifically of the internals then I can agree that the Series systems seemed to be of a more premium construction than the PS5. I am more amazed that despite my Series X being drenched in water from a sprinkler system to the point that I can pour the water out and the system still works after drying is anecdotal proof of this.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen

I actually liked what the guy mentioned in the video. The system MIGHT actually lose peformance. Remember Cerny's talk about dynamic clock speeds? Well, if its running hot, it will downclock, and here comes the juicy 9.2tflops we've been anticipating🤢

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sealionact

@Sagemode87: You might as well. There’s nothing worth playing coming out on ps5 this side of 2022 …. apart from an MS game and the odd PS4 cash grab game.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SargentD
@sealionact said:

@Pedro: Compared to an xsx it’s bigger, louder, weaker, runs hotter, is lacking Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision, VRR, 1440p support, Alexa support, has an inferior expansion solution, an inferior crossgen solution, an inferior game rental solution, a smaller SSD and an inferior crosssave solution.

In my opinion.

well said, The storage expansion is the worst part about the PS5 imo.

No problem expanding storage on everything I have, Switch, Ps4, PC, simple and easy. PS5 makes you open up the console.. don't even have to do that for my PC... The hardware is inferior overall to the Series X. Not here to cheerlead (i don't have the Series X or PS5) But its pretty obvious whos hardware is superior and offering better features.

You really have to be a die hard for Sony Exclusives to justify the thing. Or maybe be big on the haptic triggers??

I wouldn't buy the thing, not in its current state and current price.

Plus its ugly, id want to hide it if it was in my living room

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pedro
@girlusocrazy said:
@Pedro said:

@girlusocrazy: I have never experience a smaller heatsink performing better than a larger heatsink.

By itself probably not, but there is certainly a reason for the greater heat removed by the new model's cooling system Likely the improved fan and perhaps other design choices have something to do with it.

The mechanism for cooling the system is the same, so a smaller heatsink with a slightly improved fan isn't going to be more efficient at removing heat. The smaller heatsink has a smaller surface area. I strongly that the fan is performing at such a rate that it is able to compensate for the reduced surface area.

@sealionact said:

In my opinion.

Alexa support, inferior rental solution, inferior expansion system, Dolby, 1440 support, inferior crosssave solution....😂 Talk about desperation to pad the advantages.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@sealionact said:

In my opinion.

"Alexa support"

Let me know when it gets first party support from Microsoft. Then I'll play the best versions on PC.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

I'm good with mine, but I'll definitely get the Pro version or Slim version whenever they come out lol.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sealionact

@Pedro: Really? Alexa…fair enough. I use it a lot though. Not everybody will, but I have security cams, doorbell, Spotify…heck, not having to turn off all my equipment is a bonus.

Crosssave? Absolutely. Sony’s solution works sometimes, other times it’s a shambles especially when they put cloud saves behind a paywall.

Crossgen? Absolutely. I use my x1x controller when playing local mp and games are updated to current gen way easier on xsx.

Dolby Atmos is what Sony’s 3D sound was supposed to be….you only knock it if you don’t have it.

And rentals as in Gamepass? Seriously? You don’t see that as a genuine advantage on xsx?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

@sealionact said:

@Pedro: Really? Alexa…fair enough. I use it a lot though. Not everybody will, but I have security cams, doorbell, Spotify…heck, not having to turn off all my equipment is a bonus.

Crosssave? Absolutely. Sony’s solution works sometimes, other times it’s a shambles especially when they put cloud saves behind a paywall.

Crossgen? Absolutely. I use my x1x controller when playing local mp and games are updated to current gen way easier on xsx.

Dolby Atmos is what Sony’s 3D sound was supposed to be….you only knock it if you don’t have it.

And rentals as in Gamepass? Seriously? You don’t see that as a genuine advantage on xsx?

Crossave is software.

Crossgen is software.

Dolby Atmos is software.

GamePass and PSNow is services.

This is about hardware. 😐

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

"Alexa support"

Let me know when it gets first party support from Microsoft. Then I'll play the best versions on PC.

That is Sony's future for their games so that point is kind of weak, besides this thread is about hardware.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SargentD

@Pedro: well then I guess it's software and hardware sucks compared to series X. The storage expansion situation is embarrassing and it's not outperforming the series X.

Only hardware advantage PS5 has is the haptic feedback in the controller.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sealionact

@Pedro: In that case MS wins hands down….

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts

If it helps them produce more faster to keep up with demand without an impact on performance then that's the right next step to take for now.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@sargentd said:

@Pedro: well then I guess it's software and hardware sucks compared to series X. The storage expansion situation is embarrassing and it's not outperforming the series X.

Only hardware advantage PS5 has is the haptic feedback in the controller.

The software sucks compared to Series X? Don't be silly. The only advantage is the controller? Don't be silly again.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SargentD

@Pedro: I said what I said

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sealionact

@NathanDrakeSwag: ….and ms thanks you for your support. Meanwhile your ps5 is gathering dust….unless you’re getting Deathloop which is an ms game, but I’d guess you’d get that on pc too. More support for ms.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@sealionact said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: ….and ms thanks you for your support. Meanwhile your ps5 is gathering dust….unless you’re getting Deathloop which is an ms game, but I’d guess you’d get that on pc too. More support for ms.

No dust on my PS5. I use it almost every day. No interest in Deathloop either.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SargentD

@sealionact: deathloop will be better on PC for sure, I don't think he realizes MS knows this already, they want him to buy it on PC lol

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@xantufrog said:

This. Sony has made it very easy to wait for a better iteration of PS5, while last gen I got a PS4 within the first month of that launch.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

From what I read it has a smaller heatsink, improved fan, heat output is 3° higher (does not mean APU/RAM run hotter, just means heat removal is more efficient)

when they reduce the size of the heatsink (significantly) it does not mean it is more efficient, it means that it is running hotter

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZeroTheHero

@shadyacshuns said:
@xantufrog said:

This. Sony has made it very easy to wait for a better iteration of PS5, while last gen I got a PS4 within the first month of that launch.

Yeah it was a 400 dollar ps4 vs a 500 dollar kinect xbone which was weaker that was the easiest choice ever people made back in the day.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts
Loading Video...

Hotter not because of "efficiency"

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#44 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

So thats where all that weight shedding went... cutting the heatsink size by half it looks like. No wonder it runs hotter. Sony cheaping out on components. We going to have a repeat of the PS3 where every revision gets worse?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts

I think people are expecting too much if they expect the slims to be in production by now. Many consoles have their base models see several minor revisions.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Pedro

@girlusocrazy: It is hard to argue that more heat is leaving when the temperature being read is the temperature of the heatsink which is hotter than the launch version. Internal readings would definitely be more accurate.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ZeroTheHero

@girlusocrazy said:
@regnaston said:

when they reduce the size of the heatsink (significantly) it does not mean it is more efficient, it means that it is running hottern

It's greater heat leaving the system that suggests higher efficiency.

@Pedro said:

The mechanism for cooling the system is the same, so a smaller heatsink with a slightly improved fan isn't going to be more efficient at removing heat.

More heat is leaving the system though. They'd have to read the chip's internal temp.

Stop defending the revision. Nobody wants the hotter PS5 revision we want the first edition or nothing.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@zerothehero said:

Stop defending the revision. Nobody wants the hotter PS5 revision we want the first edition or nothing.

Agreed. The guy in the video clearly says the newer version gets almost 10 degrees hotter. That will undoubtedly affect performance and life span.

There really is no excuse for what nuSony is doing here.