Reason why Halo became such a big success on consoles was because

• 166 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11699 Posts

it successfully brought a lot of gameplay features, that were exclusive to PC games, onto consoles. It was probably due to Halo being a PC/Mac game before Microsoft got their dirty hands on Bungie XD. Anyways, Halo: CE and Halo 2 was probably one of the most PC-centric games on consoles.

If Halo did remain a PC/Mac exclusive game, it probably wouldn't be as big as it is now. Why?? Because Halo: CE and Halo 2 wasn't anything big compared to other PC games at the time. It would have recieved the good game status, Halo: CE especially, but not the "GOD-LIKE" status that Xbox gamers make it out to be.

Agree or Disagree?

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts

it successfully brought a lot of features, that were exclusive to PC games, onto consoles. It was probably due to Halo being a PC/Mac game before Microsoft got their dirty hands on Bungie XD. Anyways, Halo: CE and Halo 2 was probably one of the most PC-centric games on consoles.

If Halo did remain a PC/Mac exclusive game, it probably wouldn't be as big as it is now. Why?? Because Halo: CE and Halo 2 wasn't anything big compared to other PC games at the time. It would have recieved the good game status, but not the "GOD-LIKE" status that Xbox gamers make it out to be.

Agree or Disagree?

ShadowDeathX
I agree with the fact that It wouldn't be as big, but you have to give it more credit. I was a Quake III junkie, when Halo came out it was a revolution. Regenerating health, limited weapon carry ability, and a great story propeled Halo to the top. It wasn't just because it was a good shooter on console. It was an innovative game for the genre, and it was good.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

It was just how Call of Duty is this gen. CoD offers a PC-like experiecne on consoles because of the higher frame rate and super responsive controls (at the cost of having embarrassing amounts of aim assist due to the lack of precision on gamepads). To PC gamers neither of things are a big deal, but consoles players eat it up and when another FPS doesn't fell the same way, they will dismiss it

fast_sonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fast_sonic
Member since 2012 • 28 Posts
GameSpot wouldn't have given it a 9.0 on PC a year after its original release if it wasn't anything special. Halo changed the way FPS's were made and played.
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I think you're selling Halo a tad bit short. Halo was amazing on Xbox when it first came out. It even had graphics that rivaled, but did not surpass, PC. I was a big gamer back then, and Halo was a huge deal, and it wasn't just because it was a FPS done right on consoles. Other FPS games with the same control scheme had been released already like Red Faction, but Halo had the tight controls, 2 weapon limit, amazing and expansive levels, great story, amazing gameplay, multiplayer to die for, accessible LAN parties, you name it. Halo was and still is the ****.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

I have to agree. Halo is the only exclusive I've played that could actually work as a PC game... and I'm not sure if it was because it started on PC and had that PC "feel" or if it is just a game that lends itself really well to PC.

(I'm going to ignore the PC ports because they were absolutly terrible ports that ruined the games which were fine on console) But anyway, Microsoft really missed out on the PC audiences there and probbaly blame piracy and the platform for poor sales on PC. >_>

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShadowDeathX

I think you're selling Halo a tad bit short. Halo was amazing on Xbox when it first came out. It even had graphics that rivaled, but did not surpass, PC. I was a big gamer back then, and Halo was a huge deal, and it wasn't just because it was a FPS done right on consoles. Other FPS games with the same control scheme had been released already like Red Faction, but Halo had the tight controls, 2 weapon limit, amazing and expansive levels, great story, amazing gameplay, multiplayer to die for, accessible LAN parties, you name it. Halo was and still is the ****.

arkephonic
It was.. Halo: CE was awesome in it's own right. The formula was still fresh, even on PC. However, I don't think Halo 2 would have grasped that same feeling in 2004 if it was also launched on PC. Halo looked great for the time as well. It rivaled PC as well because the Xbox was pretty much a PC in an Xbox case. =p
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

So golden eye didn't exist?

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
In a sense. Halo was the milestone that I could finally get the games I loved on PC without having to play on PC. It's the game that converted me.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

I have to agree. Halo is the only exclusive I've played that could actually work as a PC game... and I'm not sure if it was because it started on PC and had that PC "feel" or if it is just a game that lends itself really well to PC.

(I'm going to ignore the PC ports because they were absolutly terrible ports that ruined the games which were fine on console) But anyway, Microsoft really missed out on the PC audiences there and probbaly blame piracy and the platform for poor sales on PC. >_>

DigitalExile

Lets not forget how long M$ made us wait for those ports a long with the OS/DX exclusive crap

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

I think Halo would still have been very successful because they are excellent games, though the level of worship it got at the beginning of this generation was just... bizarre.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

I think Halo would still have been very successful because they are excellent games, though the level of worship it got at the beginning of this generation was just... bizarre.

PraetorianMan

For the lolz

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

You're selling Halo way short.

It still remains to this day the most compareable FPS on consoles to top-tier PC-quality (and surpasses many), and it's incredibly feature-rich too.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
all the halos were godlike. except 3, lets forget about that one please. and the campaign in 2
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

If Halo did remain a PC/Mac exclusive game, it probably wouldn't be as big as it is now. Why?? Because Halo: CE and Halo 2 wasn't anything big compared to other PC games at the time.

Agree or Disagree?

ShadowDeathX

Blatantly disagree.

Halo canon >>>>>> all.

That's why I've beaten the Halo 2 campaign 178 times and only played 47 total matches for Halo 2. Same for the other Halos save the numbers.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ShadowDeathX

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

If Halo did remain a PC/Mac exclusive game, it probably wouldn't be as big as it is now. Why?? Because Halo: CE and Halo 2 wasn't anything big compared to other PC games at the time.

Agree or Disagree?

Spartan070

Blatantly disagree.

Halo canon >>>>>> all.

That's why I've beaten the Halo 2 campaign 178 times and only played 47 total matches for Halo 2. Same for the other Halos save the numbers.

178 Times??? >.> Wow
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spartan070
all the halos were godlike. except 3, lets forget about that one please. and the campaign in 2mems_1224
:o The Arbiter is the greatest character in gaming history, Halo 2 campaign ruled imo lol
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spartan070
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"] 178 Times??? >.> Wow

Yep. I can pull threads from the beginning of this gen supporting this
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Halo changed the way FPS's were made and played.fast_sonic
On consoles.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#20 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Agree but I think microsoft's status had to do with how Halo came to be today.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]all the halos were godlike. except 3, lets forget about that one please. and the campaign in 2Spartan070
:o The Arbiter is the greatest character in gaming history, Halo 2 campaign ruled imo lol

dont forget the covenant magically being able to speak English
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]all the halos were godlike. except 3, lets forget about that one please. and the campaign in 2mems_1224

Lol true. :P Well Cortana is trained in Covenant linguistics translation so I can understand Master Chief being able to understand it. Also the Arbiter would of course understand it. Thus the player character must understand it.
Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

Disagree.

Halo:CE was unique at the time of it's release. Not original or groundbreaking in every way, but even if it had been made as a PC/Mac game, it would not have suffered for it. The game brought together the best elements of many of the games that came before it, coupled that with great atmosphere and finished with unrivaled playability.

I get the impression that you aren't quite old enough to understand just what FPS games were like in the 90's and early 00's.

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts

It was Because Halo:CE was such an amazing game back in 2001.....

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

i agree

if Halo was PC exclusive, it wouldnt be as succesful (without Microsofts huge marketing budget), but still very succesful none the less, most likely above Doom and Unreal etc, but just below Half Life and Counter strike

Halo is still a great game, heaps of people still play Halo 1 on PC and its a crappy console port, sadly no one plays Halo 2 on PC because of LOL vista exclusive, lol GFWL, lol gimped mod tools, lol high requirements (was very poorly optimized, ran like crap for an Xbox port), lol built in auto aim, lol monthly fee (at least MS removed it later on)

if Halo was multiplat it would be on par with COD, but MS of course wont have that

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
PC fanboys make my day they are like the high elves in skyrim
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DigitalExile

Lets not forget how long M$ made us wait for those ports a long with the OS/DX exclusive crap

NoodleFighter

I reinstalled it the other day for some silly reason. The FOV is sickening and it's unplayable with keyboard and mouse :(

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DigitalExile

[QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]all the halos were godlike. except 3, lets forget about that one please. and the campaign in 2mems_1224

The Covenant have devices which automatically translate things. The humans hear English, but each of the other races would hear their own respective languages regardless of what the language being spoken was.

HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HaloinventedFPS

Halo didnt invent anything... (inb4 someone comments on my name)

2 weapon limit was done in CS

sheilds and regen health was done in tribes (i think, havent played tribes 2 in years)

big enviroments were done in Unreal and tribes

Halo didnt invent good stories in shooters, Half Life and AVP2 both had good stories (ill have to say Half life 1 was better aswell)

Tribes did vehicles

what Halo did well was chuck all these ideas into 1 game and blend them perfectly

Avatar image for heeeeeeeeeweeee
heeeeeeeeeweeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 heeeeeeeeeweeee
Member since 2011 • 2083 Posts

it successfully brought a lot of gameplay features, that were exclusive to PC games, onto consoles. It was probably due to Halo being a PC/Mac game before Microsoft got their dirty hands on Bungie XD. Anyways, Halo: CE and Halo 2 was probably one of the most PC-centric games on consoles.

If Halo did remain a PC/Mac exclusive game, it probably wouldn't be as big as it is now. Why?? Because Halo: CE and Halo 2 wasn't anything big compared to other PC games at the time. It would have recieved the good game status, Halo: CE especially, but not the "GOD-LIKE" status that Xbox gamers make it out to be.

Agree or Disagree?

ShadowDeathX

only fps avalible from 11-15-2001 to 11-15-2002 on xbox.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

sheilds and regen health was done in tribes (i think, havent played tribes 2 in years)

Halo didnt invent good stories in shooters, Half Life and AVP2 both had good stories (ill have to say Half life 1 was better aswell)

Tribes did vehicles

what Halo did well was chuck all these ideas into 1 game and blend them perfectly

HaloinventedFPS

This.

...since it's pretty much what I already said.

cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts
I don't know why Halo became such a huge success. Maybe you're right TC. All I know is that I have had some of the most fun with shooters playing the Halo games.
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HaloinventedFPS

I don't know why Halo became such a huge success. Maybe you're right TC. All I know is that I have had some of the most fun with shooters playing the Halo games.cloudff7tm

best shooter on console and microsofts huge budget

HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HaloinventedFPS

[QUOTE="HaloinventedFPS"]

Tribes did vehicles

Assassin_87

This.

...since it's pretty much what I already said.

indeed, i was just explaning it more, most console gamers dont even know what tribes on unreal 1 is

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Spartan070"] :o The Arbiter is the greatest character in gaming history, Halo 2 campaign ruled imo lolDigitalExile

The Covenant have devices which automatically translate things. The humans hear English, but each of the other races would hear their own respective languages regardless of what the language being spoken was.

yea i get that, i just thought it was a cheap attempt to humanize them. i loved the covenant in CE and reach when i couldn't understand them
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Disagree. Halo: Combat Evolved was amazing, regardless of platform.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]all the halos were godlike. except 3, lets forget about that one please. and the campaign in 2Spartan070

I enjoyed the story in Halo 2' s campaign and hated how they just removed everything they started with the Arbitor in Halo 3...but Halo 2's levels were poorly made. They are the least likeable levels in any Halo game. I rather play the Library 100x over than play any Halo 2 level once.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mems_1224
[QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]all the halos were godlike. except 3, lets forget about that one please. and the campaign in 2percech

I enjoyed the story in Halo 2' s campaign and hated how they just removed everything they started with the Arbitor in Halo 3...but Halo 2's levels were poorly made. They are the least likeable levels in any Halo game. I rather play the Library 100x over than play any Halo 2 level once.

i never got the hate the library gets. i never had a problem with it
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#40 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Thank you for stating the obvious TC. :P

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#41 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="Spartan070"] :o The Arbiter is the greatest character in gaming history, Halo 2 campaign ruled imo lolmems_1224

i never got the hate the library gets. i never had a problem with it

Yeah, it's not a bad level at all. In fact it was very spooky and atmospheric.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ShadowDeathX

Thank you for stating the obvious TC. :P

NeonNinja
You're Welcome. :P I'm actually playing through Halo: CE again on PC
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

Not only was it originally planned for PC but also started off as a RTS :shock:

Anyhoo, suffice to say, Halo is the greatest shooter on the planet. :P

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
GameSpot wouldn't have given it a 9.0 on PC a year after its original release if it wasn't anything special. Halo changed the way FPS's were made and played.fast_sonic
No it didn't.
dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts
I think it was the regenerating shield that made it popular. at the time it was the easiest fps to pick up and play due to the regenerating shield.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It was so successful on the consoles because it was an absolutely fantastic game built with the consoles in mind from the ground up.

It was one of the first games to successfully combine the linear shooting/military feel found in games like Medal Of Honor with the arena shooting of Unreal and Quake. The speed of the game was built exclusively for a controller. Things like the dedicated melee and grenade button were excellent additions which moved away from having to select a dedicated melee weapon which was just clunky on a controller.

The level design took advantage of the slower pace giving the player more diverse terrain to fight in. The AI was also the best AI we've ever seen in an FPS. They used the levels to their advantage, had different personalities, and would work together.

The vehicles were also sort of a revolution. They were seamlessly integrated with the gameplay and really felt like they were a part of the environment. This was a big step for FPSs as most FPSs with vehicles up until that point always featured dedicated vehicle sections or the vehicles felt disconnected from the game world.

The regenerating health also played into the pace of the game. Since the game wasn't moving a mile a second they could get away with the player having to take cover from time to time. This mechanic played straight into the varied environments. Instead of big, flat and open terrain featured in PC shooters, Halo had a lot of hills and whatnot for players to get away from enemies and use the terrain to cover themselves. This forced them to think of a mechanic that would allow a player to survive longer when they couldn't move as fast. Thus the regenerating health instead of health pick ups.

The games focus was also not on suriving and action/adventure like a lot of the FPSs before it. As I said, it was more like Medal of Honor where the goal was to just clear the level of enemies and get to the end. Regenerating health kept the focus on the fighting and away from scrouging for life. It was a different mechanic that was bulit for the slower pace of the game.

PC gamers hated on it because it was a bit slower pace than the PC games that they were playing at the time. This was also a time where PC gamers didn't play console games like they do today. They didn't fully understand you couldn't have a game with the pace of Unreal or Quake work very well on the consoles. Bungie knew this and built the whole game with a controller in mind. Most FPSs built on the console until then were attempting to be like PC shooters in every way possible. This only hampered them.

A two weapon limit (only seen in the Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six series), dedicated grenade and melee button, seamless vehicles, slower pace, large, static aiming reticules, uncompromised split-screen co-op, and 4 player split screen competitive play with totally custom gameplay options really made Halo what it was. The fact that they didn't try to make it like other PC shooters where you could carry an endless supply of weapons, had to equip your grenades or your melee weapon to use them, have to fast of a pace, and have reticule bloom were all a part of why Halo was so damn successful. It was an FPS made for the Xbox. That's why PC people didn't like it, it wasn't a PC shooter in any way.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

It was so successful on the consoles because it was an absolutely fantastic game built with the consoles in mind from the ground up.

It was one of the first games to successfully combine the linear shooting/military feel found in games like Medal Of Honor with the arena shooting of Unreal and Quake. The speed of the game was built exclusively for a controller. Things like the dedicated melee and grenade button were excellent additions which moved away from having to select a dedicated melee weapon which was just clunky on a controller.

The level design took advantage of the slower pace giving the player more diverse terrain to fight in. The AI was also the best AI we've ever seen in an FPS. They used the levels to their advantage, had different personalities, and would work together.

The vehicles were also sort of a revolution. They were seamlessly integrated with the gameplay and really felt like they were a part of the environment. This was a big step for FPSs as most FPSs with vehicles up until that point always featured dedicated vehicle sections or the vehicles felt disconnected from the game world.

PC gamers hated on it because it was a bit slower pace than the PC games that they were playing at the time. This was also a time where PC gamers didn't play console games like they do today. They didn't fully understand you couldn't have a game with the pace of Unreal or Quake work very well on the consoles. Bungie knew this and built the whole game with a controller in mind. Most FPSs built on the console until then were attempting to be like PC shooters in every way possible. This only hampered them.

A two weapon limit (only seen in the Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six series), dedicated grenade and melee button, seamless vehicles, slower pace, large, static aiming reticules, uncompromised split-screen co-op, and 4 player split screen competitive play with totally custom gameplay options really made Halo what it was. The fact that they didn't try to make it like other PC shooters where you could carry an endless supply of weapons, had to equip your grenades or your melee weapon to use them, have to fast of a pace, and have reticule bloom were all a part of why Halo was so damn successful. It was an FPS made for the Xbox. That's why PC people didn't like it, it wasn't a PC shooter in any way.

Wasdie
Epic post. Hit every nail on the head.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46675 Posts

Tribes did vehicles

HaloinventedFPS

Agreed, some people give Halo way too much credit.

It had a spectacular co-op mode though. And Halo 2 pretty much made people pay 50 bucks a year for Live.

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts

it was sucessful because it was balanced with skillgaps that console gamesrs hadn't really experienced (at least onlnie) /thread.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

AcidSoldner

Epic post. Hit every nail on the head.

Cosigned, nicely done Wasdie. :)