RIP Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball creator, Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger artist)

• 50 results
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19580 Posts

Akira Toriyama, Legendary Dragon Ball Creator, Dies At 68

Akira Toriyama, Legendary Dragon Ball Creator, Dies At 68

Toriyama also created the character designs for Chrono Trigger and the Dragon Quest games

Akira Toriyama, the creator of the Dragon Ball franchise and character designer for video games like Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest, has died at the age of 68.

News of this came from a statement posted on the official Dragon Ball website and issued by Toriyama’s Bird Studio, which confirmed his passing on March 1 due to acute subdural hematoma. The announcement expresses regret that he still had multiple projects in the works at the time of his death, and laments the loss of all he would have gone on to achieve. It also acknowledges the many beloved works he produced over the course of his 45-year-long career.

A funeral has been held with family and “very few relatives,” and the announcement requests that people not seek to interview his family, or donate flowers, condolence gifts, or make any other offerings. Toriyama’s family has “not decided” if it will hold any sort of future commemorative gathering at this time.

The full announcement as published on the Dragon Ball site reads as follows:

Toriyama’s work has spanned manga, anime, and video games, and his art style has become instantly recognizable over the years. While Dragon Ball and its various sequels, spin-offs, and video games are arguably his most iconic, his character designs also defined the look of the Dragon Quest series and the games Chrono Trigger and Blue Dragon.

Some of his posthumous works will include the upcoming Sand Land RPG based on the 2000's manga of the same name, and the upcoming Dragon Ball anime titled Dragon Ball Daima, which features a chibi art style and sees major players like Goku and Vegeta returning.

Following the announcement, fans and collaborates have posted several tributes to him on social media, including long-time cast members like Christopher Sabat, who has voiced Vegeta, Piccolo, and several other characters in the Dragon Ball series.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23940 Posts

Posted recently in the similar thread in the off-topic board.

But may he rest in peace. His contributions to culture are immeasurable. And his work has inspired millions.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11802 Posts

We lost another one of a kind. Damn the next chapter of Dragon Ball Super and the release of SandLand better have tributes to him.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59062 Posts

RIP.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11126 Posts

This one hurts. This man brought joy to what may be hundreds of millions of people. He left a pop culture legacy that will be remembered for generations. Slump, Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger. Damn near EVERYthing he touched turned to gold. He was a big talent, he will be missed

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

Strange that I was playing Chrono Trigger days before his death. Fun game so far.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

RIP. Thanks for making my childhood such a memomorable experience with dragon ball it paves way to the new anime we loving right now.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46442 Posts

RIP another great dev.

Icrackurnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Icrackurnuts
Member since 2024 • 64 Posts

🌹x 1000

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56192 Posts

Oh, you mustn't be sad, my children. I have lived a full and blessed life. Don't be afraid. Death is simply another stage of our life - Grand Elder Guru.

R.I.P the Goat he is. Akira Toriyama will always be remember.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7213 Posts

Ill collect all the Dragon Balls and bring you back my homie.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts

Very sad news indeed. Loved his distinctive art style. Big part of what I loved about Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, and Blue Dragon. R.I.P. Akira Toriyama.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

The King. The G.O.A.T. His work changed my life, and that's no exaggeration. It's so fundamental to how I think and my imagination as a whole.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11616 Posts

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1251 Posts

Damn. Too soon. RIP to the goat.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6907 Posts

Terrible news, he was such a legendary talent. I hope his artstyle continues to inspire future works.

brombin_san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By brombin_san
Member since 2023 • 1 Posts

RIP Akira Toriyama. Praying for his family and all fans during this loss.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

This man was truly a legend. He inspired so many of my favorite mangaka, and he is indeed one of my favorites. We lost a true GOAT and with that I am going to go binge Sand Land in his memory.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts
Loading Video...

This Kakarot commercial sums it up.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

Very sad news indeed. Loved his distinctive art style. Big part of what I loved about Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, and Blue Dragon. R.I.P. Akira Toriyama.

His character design was a big part of why I loved those games as well. Blue Dragon's character designs were flawless with his style. I loved it so much for just the characters. Something about his artstyle just captured me and sucked me into the world.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts

@iambatman7986: Kind of want to fire that game up again and play a bit just to appreciate the art style again.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9574 Posts

Dragon Ball is one of the very few anime shows that I ever enjoyed. If not for that show I probably would have skipped over some of my all time favorite games that displayed a similar art style. The man is a legend.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

I wasn't planning on preordering Dragon Ball: Sparking Zero but in honor of Akira Toriyama, I'll be purchasing it day one for sure.

Thank you Akira Toriyama🙏🏼

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1104 Posts

RIP

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@NoodleFighter: Akira Toriyama have hinted he wanted to rework on Dragon Ball GT in his own vision. Bummer we'll never see it.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts
@davillain said:

@NoodleFighter: Akira Toriyama have hinted he wanted to rework on Dragon Ball GT in his own vision. Bummer we'll never see it.

It's a shame that we never got another Chrono Trigger game or at least a remake of it. It would've been nice to see Akira Toriyama do artwork for it again.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20121 Posts

Crazy man. RIP.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jag85

Toriyama's contributions to video games:

• Dragon Quest - The game that popularized RPGs in Japan. DQ creator Yuji Horii credits this in large part to Toriyama's art design, which is the main reason DQ got heavily promoted in Shonen Jump and thus what led to the RPG boom in late '80s Japan. In turn, this inspired Hironobu Sakaguchi to create Final Fantasy, which went on to popularize RPGs in the West a decade later.
  • Chrono Trigger - One of the greatest RPGs of all time. Toriyama's art design contributed to making it the legendary game that it is.
  • Dragon Ball - So many video games were inspired by Dragon Ball. You can see its influence in fighting games like Street Fighter and Tekken, platformers like Sonic and Another World, game designers like Suda51 and Swery, etc. Dragon Ball inspired things like charging energy attacks, super transformations, chaos emeralds, the "enemy turned rival" trope, etc.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 692 Posts

@davillain: the ai messing the characters of Goku and Vegeta.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1351 Posts

Sad to hear, I just recently started rewatching Dragon Ball Z from the beginning. His art was and is a huge influence around the world. Certainly legendary.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator

@nirgal: I pull it from twitter page.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11802 Posts

@davillain said:

I think you are talking about the upcoming spin off anime Dragon Ball Daima. That is basically his own version of GT.

@AcidTango said:

It's a shame that we never got another Chrono Trigger game or at least a remake of it. It would've been nice to see Akira Toriyama do artwork for it again.

I wonder if Toyotaro will take the mantle since after all he was the one doing the art for the Dragon Ball Super Manga for almost a decade now. He is really good at imitating Toriyama's art style but we don't know if he has the creativity to make original designs on his own that look like Toriyama made them.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#33 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69680 Posts

🤷🏽‍♂️

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1461 Posts

R.I.P. It was such a magical time to read and watch his work and play the games for which he created art. He captured a wonderful sense of adventure, sense of wonder, humor, the power of friendship, exciting battles, human growth, and death with a unique, edgy, yet somehow warm touch. And it was such a pleasure to enjoy his manga, anime, and games with friends, family, and strangers on the Internet, sharing our thoughts and opinions.

His contributions to the entertainment industry are immeasurable. I hope he is enjoying his afterlife in heaven with a fat little god wearing round sunglasses and a moneky pet, haha.

Also, Square Enix better know what to do to honor his memory.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39109 Posts

@st_monica said:

R.I.P. It was such a magical time to read and watch his work and play the games for which he created art. He captured a wonderful sense of adventure, sense of wonder, humor, the power of friendship, exciting battles, human growth, and death with a unique, edgy, yet somehow warm touch. And it was such a pleasure to enjoy his manga, anime, and games with friends, family, and strangers on the Internet, sharing our thoughts and opinions.

His contributions to the entertainment industry are immeasurable. I hope he is enjoying his afterlife in heaven with a fat little god wearing round sunglasses and a moneky pet, haha.

Also, Square Enix better know what to do to honor his memory.

They knew exactly what to do in 2021 and 2022. Release NFT's with his work. But now they're completely lost.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1461 Posts

@hardwenzen: Well, they're investing in AI now, which could mean that we'll see a trilogy of Chrono Trigger Remake or Rebirth or whatever, with Toriyama-like artwork by Stable Defusion. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell them for $70 each, haha.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1871 Posts

Not only in video games, but he influenced most of modern pop culture. He's a true legend. RIP.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3036 Posts

Well that's a bummer

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jag85
@Jag85 said:

Toriyama's contributions to video games:

• Dragon Quest - The game that popularized RPGs in Japan. DQ creator Yuji Horii credits this in large part to Toriyama's art design, which is the main reason DQ got heavily promoted in Shonen Jump and thus what led to the RPG boom in late '80s Japan. In turn, this inspired Hironobu Sakaguchi to create Final Fantasy, which went on to popularize RPGs in the West a decade later.
  • Chrono Trigger - One of the greatest RPGs of all time. Toriyama's art design contributed to making it the legendary game that it is.
  • Dragon Ball - So many video games were inspired by Dragon Ball. You can see its influence in fighting games like Street Fighter and Tekken, platformers like Sonic and Another World, game designers like Suda51 and Swery, etc. Dragon Ball inspired things like charging energy attacks, super transformations, chaos emeralds, the "enemy turned rival" trope, etc.

In addition:

Dr. Slump - Shigeru Miyamoto said Mario's movement was inspired by Arale from Dr. Slump.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 504 Posts

R.I.P

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

R.I.P., Dragon Ball was a huge part of my childhood and I'm thankful for it.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3480 Posts

RIP. I remember the days watching Dragon Ball after school. Not only did I watch the anime, I also collected stickers, played the video game and collected the manga.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8272 Posts

@davillain said:

I wasn't planning on preordering Dragon Ball: Sparking Zero but in honor of Akira Toriyama, I'll be purchasing it day one for sure.

Thank you Akira Toriyama🙏🏼

Sparking zero looks sick.

Looks like they finally trying to beat Tenkaichi 3's Roster as well

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8272 Posts

Gonna replay kakorat with the dlc

Loading Video...

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

RIP to the amazing legend. Thank you for all of the childhood memories you created with your work.

My favourite work of his was Tobal No. 1 where he did the artwork and character design. And of course Dragon Ball.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16562 Posts

RIP, he started it all.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Legend. Rest in peace.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#49 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

RIP.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15940 Posts

RIP. One of my all time fav manga and anime grown up watching DB, DBZ, DB GT as well as Dr Slump. I used to collect Dragon Ball manga too idk how many versions I bought but my mom kept throwing them away lol. To me he still the best at drawing movement and having great manga panel placement. Its easy to translate what he is drawing to actual fighting movement in your mind. Akira Toriyama also doesn't do walls of text in his panels which many manga nowadays do like One Piece or Hunter x Hunter.