Should we care about Fable lead character looking like a androgynous neanderthal with a chin larger than the titanic?

• 110 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Should we care about Fable lead character looking like a androgynous neanderthal with a chin larger than the titanic? (58 votes)

yes 28%
no 72%
No Caption Provided

Is this something we should care about?

Notice gamers upset about it. And game journos jumping on the sword to defend it.

Apparently you're an incel and pathetic if you care.

-

As someone who has little to no interest in Fable, a passer by if you will, I can't help but feel this is just a deeply unappealing looking character anyway you cut it.

But I don't want to be an incel like Elliot Rodger for thinking this, or upset game journos who know better (about everything)

What are your thoughts on this subject? Do you give enough of a shit about Fable to care one way or another?

Was this always just a "meh" franchise propped up by Peter M's big boy hype talk and exclusive giving a false sense of quality?

Will Popeye eventually be loved?

• 
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17458 Posts

Developers have said that character customization will play a huge role in the game and there are a few leaks that have talked about creating your character.

I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

So she's got a face like a chewed toffee,who gives a shit.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44546 Posts

Well people can care about what they want to care about but personally I’m not bothered at all with this character myself.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

@simple-facts said:

So she's got a face like a chewed toffee,who gives a shit.

I mean, theoretically, if paying £70 (which I think is console game prices now) for a game, gonna be playing it for what? 40-50 hours. I'd rather she not look like vomit vaguely in the shape of the face.

Apply the same logic to games I actually play like SF.

I'd rather play this.

Than this.

The thing that's odd to me isn't people reacting to it negatively, usually they get upset about dumb shit, but anyone with eyes can see that's just horrid looking. It's more the people getting offended at you having a pair of eyes and seeing shit thing looks like shit.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

They knew what they were doing with that.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50664 Posts

I dont care. It also doesn't bother me that other people care about it.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#8 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6108 Posts

It’s just another thing to moan and groan from MS,I think if it’s on PS it probably would get different reactions?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
@simple-facts said:

@uninspiredcup:

If gamers had a problem with the price of a game and how the lead female character looked them TLOU2,horizon ZD/HFW and hellblade wouldn't have sold many copies as the lead characters in horizon and hellblade are ugly gingers,and the muscle bound stinker in TLOU2 was a bloke with tits.

I don't think anyone gives a shit.

Gamers generally don't have a problem with any price or business practice, they are donkeys to be ridden to breaking point.

You make a good argument. However when compare the sales of this to other games like Nintendo that forgo gritty ugly people aesthetics in favor of something more widely visually appealing, it's substantially higher than any of these listed. Or really, any Sony game.

That and they make better games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

Does it matter? The reboot will be rebooted in 3 years when they release the next trailer.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

@navyguy21 said:

Developers have said that character customization will play a huge role in the game and there are a few leaks that have talked about creating your character.

I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Oh?

Still, regardless seems like a very odd thing to present. Not purely her character design but the bizarre off-putting mocap of Richard Ayoade.

Seems to be one of those games was highly stylized, but because we have the tech, we obligatorily have to heighten the realism.

Aside from not being visually appealing, comes across as pretty souless compared to some of the older tech games.

But again, don't care much for Fable.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

This isn’t Horizon, complaining is not allowed.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts

At least she doesn't have a talking bracelet. If anything will be a major turn off for me, it could be the accent:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

I'd rather eat an ulcer than even look at that thing.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7356 Posts

It's okay to be a bit bothered by what the main character looks like. But if it makes you angry and skip the game over it, that's kinda sad.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uninspiredcup

@judaspete said:

It's okay to be a bit bothered by what the main character looks like. But if it makes you angry and skip the game over it, that's kinda sad.

Agreed. At the same time find the "visual design doesn't matter or bother me" opinion delusional.

Overall, a milk toast take. Leaning towards to the right-wing grifters raising arms about her horrible appearence, but also sympathetic to people not making it out as that big a deal.

The people pretending it doesn't matter at all, fakes. Liars. etc...

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3505 Posts

Looks perfectly ok to me.

This is the kind of "polemic" that makes me completely avoid having any real world contact with gamers. I can't even understand what kind of existence leads someone to even lose a second thinking about this.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hardwenzen

@kathaariancode said:

This is the kind of "polemic" that makes me completely avoid having any real world contact with gamers. I can't even understand what kind of existence leads someone to even lose a second thinking about this.

You're always so polically correct. I don't know how you've been surviving the unhinged SW.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#19 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

I was a big fan of the first Fable. I never paid any attention to Peter M's hype talk, but just enjoyed Fable for what it was, a medieval fantasy GTA-meets-Zelda.

But the Fable sequels didn't do anything for me. And since Peter Molyneux is no longer associated with Fable, I'll give this a hard pass.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23995 Posts

Don't care.

What matters are the mechanics of the game. That is where Fable has been struggling.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KathaarianCode

@hardwenzen: I'm not politically correct, I just find no pleasure in being obnoxious, which seems to be what everyone tries to be for some bizarre reason.

And I honestly find this character to look like a completely normal person. Yeah she isn't a top model and is arguably unattractive, so what?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen

@kathaariancode said:

@hardwenzen: I'm not politically correct, I just find no pleasure in being obnoxious, which seems to be what everyone tries to be for some bizarre reason.

And I honestly find this character to look like a completely normal person. Yeah she isn't a top model and is arguably unattractive, so what?

Bruh, look at her chin. That is not "normal", unless their goal was to create a "they", and not a "she".

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 uninspiredcup

@kathaariancode said:

And I honestly find this character to look like a completely normal person.

That's a good point. However isn't the point of gaming to be fantastical escapism? The setting itself, some whimsical magical land? This seems counter to point.

@Maroxad said:

What matters are the mechanics of the game. That is where Fable has been struggling.

I agree. However similarly if eat food, the primary concern is how the food tastes. If it looks like this however and forced to look at it for 50 hours, do not excuse it.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KathaarianCode

@uninspiredcup: In the image you posted she's eating a burger. Nothing conventional about it on a phantasy context. Fable was never about being conventional.

To each its own but I don't find any correlation between escapism and the need to sexualise a character. For some weird reason that seems to be the case amongst many gamers.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58508 Posts

@uninspiredcup: nobody looks good from that angle :P

With that said, as it is Pride Month, I was half-expecting MS to make some grand announcement that this was their first trans woman character or something. Mostly because of the masculine features.

Please note that I don't object to the inclusion of trans characters, I just take issue with the marketing tactics used by trillion-dollar megacorporations to manipulate (and further divide) us.

@kathaariancode said:

To play Devil's Advocate for a second, you could make the argument that since video games are art, they should strive for the ideal or stylized.

That is, people should be presented either artistically or beautifully (if they are heroes) or ugly (if they are villains). And above all else, avoid the "average looking".

I wasn't offended or alienated by the appearance of this character, but I did find something to be "off" with them as far as their overall design. My overall sentiment was "Oh, so that's what you're going with? Well OK then, moving on..."

Of course the counter-argument is that if you over-idealize or over-stylize your characters, you run the risk of girls in chainmail bikinis or offending certain groups because your money-hungry villain just happens to have ratlike features and big nose (traits associated with negative stereotypes, for example).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup
@mrbojangles25 said:

@uninspiredcup: nobody looks good from that angle.

With that said, as it is Pride Month, I was half-expecting MS to make some grand announcement that this was their first trans woman character or something.

Please note that I don't object to the inclusion of trans characters, I just take issue with the marketing tactics used by trillion-dollar megacorporations to manipulate (and further divide) us.

This never occurred to me. That would be quite lulzy. I hope they do if only for the fallout. At the very least be better than 76.

Now that I think about it, you may actually have a point.

They may be purposefully attempted to make the gender appear vague.

Regardless, I don't think the design is good or that contributes to the design being good or bad.

The entire aesthetic seems off to me.

The mocap they were trying to impress peeps with of Richard Ayoade just looked like uncanny valley to me. Off-putting, bizarre. Not something I want to watch.

Put that down to them waving around their cock screaming "look next gen wowowowwowweeee look, do you get it?"

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#29  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70402 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Well people can care about what they want to care about but personally I’m not bothered at all with this character myself.

Perfect response. It is even more odd to complain about a game with a character creator.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts

Some games do have bad customization options. Can only make ugly looking characters. Which doesn't work for me, because I look better than them.

Don't feel included.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58508 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@uninspiredcup: nobody looks good from that angle.

With that said, as it is Pride Month, I was half-expecting MS to make some grand announcement that this was their first trans woman character or something.

This never occurred to me. That would be quite lulzy. I hope they do if only for the fallout. At the very least be better than 76.

Now that I think about it, you may actually have a point.

They may be purposefully attempted to make the gender appear vague.

Regardless, I don't think the design is good or that contributes to the design being good or bad.

The entire aesthetic seems off to me.

The mocap they were trying to impress peeps with of Richard Ayoade just looked like uncanny valley to me. Off-putting, bizarre. Not something I want to watch.

Put that down to them waving around their cock screaming "look next gen wowowowwowweeee look, do you get it?"

I think a lot of it, for me at least, is just simple 'uncanny valley' feelings. It'd almost be better to use live-action cutscenes at this point and then transition to game engine. I mean, not really, but would it actually be worse? More jarring to the senses?

We've reached a point in some of these things where the art is gone and we are just going for realism and scientific accuracy, but when your characters are fictitious, their made-up details just seem...off putting.

It's like those pictures you see of "What if the Simpsons were real-life people?" and then they show you a picture of Homer Simpson done realistically and you want to burn your eyeballs out of your head. It's kind of like that.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#33  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17909 Posts

The woke agenda is just getting silly at this point and people are taking notice. Even people who normally don't get involved with this shit are making videos about it....

Loading Video...

As for Fable, you usually create your own character. So, that man chick in the trailer is most likely not going to be forced on us in the final game.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2966 Posts

I couldn't care less. I just want to play the game.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@simple-facts: using TLOU2 is a bad example. I strongly believe Abby is the only reason TLOU2's metacritic is at 94 and not 99.

Being the most awarded video game in history After Elden Ring despite having an atrocious main character speaks volumes of the quality ND produced here.

TLOU2 is one Abby away from being consensus GOTD, instead of just consensus GOTY and strong candidate for GOTD so far..

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1273 Posts

Can overlook it if game doesn't have shit gameplay.

Fable 1 and 2 had shit gameplay... so on the fence

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4585 Posts

Nope. Especially if you look at characters from past games.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1281 Posts

That's one butt-ugly character. Not a dealbreaker imo, but wowza.

Edit: so fable has character customization? Non-issues then.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PCLover1980

Lmao. MS did this actress dirty.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

@pclover1980 said:

Jesus Christ. And i heard people damage controlling her with "bu bu but its just a character creator, guys"🤭🤭🤭

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

@Mozelleple112:

Abby looks like a bloke and it scored an 8 here at GS.

Simple facts

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#42  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

I just thought they were going for a "medieval farm girl who spent most of her life rolling around in pig shit" look, and actually did it pretty well.

*Shrugs* I'm sure it will have character customization like the last Fable game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hardwenzen

@madrocketeer said:

I just thought they were going for a "medieval farm girl who spent most of her life rolling around in pig shit" look, and actually did it pretty well.

*Shrugs* I'm sure it will have character customization like the last Fable game.

Does rolling in pig shit gives you a massive chin?🤭

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PCLover1980

@hardwenzen: But they did that with aloy too.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#45 madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

Does rolling in pig shit gives you a massive chin?🤭

The point was she looked rustic and uncouth.

Sure, not every medieval farm girl will look like that, but aesthetically, that's the kind of look that conveys the idea, and I just thought the artists were going for that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 uninspiredcup

@pclover1980 said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@pclover1980: Lol, she should sue MS

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Well, she is meant to be English.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@lundy86_4: Oooh. That was brutal, bruh.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

@nod_calypse: Lol, ugly women and bad teeth is the running joke for us.