Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69680 Posts

Fast-forward to just over a year after its release, and the PSVR2 has not achieved its full potential. Between its lack of first-party exclusives, steep price, lack of backward compatibility, and retail delays, the PSVR2 has barely made a ripple in the VR market.

Now, amid devastating layoffs that include the closure of the VR-focused PlayStation London, it seems like PSVR2 may already be on its last legs. Here’s how we got there and what the future may hold for PlayStation’s troubled VR headset....

Currently, the PSVR2 is declining a year later and is at risk of suffering the same fate as the Vita. The support for PC VR headsets opens the door to users to access more games that otherwise are not available on PSVR2, such as Rec Room, or games released on the original PSVR that are otherwise not accessible beyond PC VR helps expand the library for these users. Yet, it does not address the fact that VR is primarily a space full of indie games and not a ton of AAA support, which not even the manufacturer seems interested in investing a ton in.

IGN calling a spade a spade. I guess Sony's check bounced.🙃 Do you think the PSVR2 is practically dead now?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6195 Posts

It was DOA just like the first one.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56192 Posts

I'll give Sony credit for taking a risk on the whole VR but truth be told, it's just not a lot of developers aren't gonna waste money on VR if they don't see an investment diminishing returns.

This also explains why Sony is trying to get it supporting PC.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8429 Posts

Historically, Sony is TERRIBLE with peripherals and they almost always fail with Sony's abandonment.

No surprise. Come back in a year and the same will be done with PS Portal.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1283 Posts

🐂Avoid🚫🐄Avoid🚫🐃Avoid🚫

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3036 Posts

@jaydan: why would they abandon the Portal? It's constantly selling out.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pedro
@uitravioience said:

Selling out because there is not much units to sell.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39110 Posts

I warned my cows in the official thread for the VR launch. Solid and Golden damage controlled it very hard, now they're stuck with a $550 paper weight. Please enjoy.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56192 Posts

@Pedro said:
@uitravioience said:

Selling out because there is not much units to sell.

In other words, Sony undercut development on the PS Portal and not mass producing is why there sold-out.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1179 Posts

I am looking forward to Aces of Thunder and Medieval something rather. I bought VR2 games which I have not even tried out yet. As long as a few quality games keep trickling out I am alright with that. I enjoy my PSVR2. I enjoy Townsmen VR, Cities VR, GT7 VR, Youtube, etc.

I owned PSVR1 and PSVR2 is quite a bit easier to setup. Seeing as MS is sharing games I would like to see Skyrim VR on VR2. Backwards compatibility would also raise PSVR2 respect.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44589 Posts

It barely has enough software to rival the Virtual Boy and they wanna put it on PC 😆

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pedro

I have an unused code for Firewall Ultra if anyone is interested.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1104 Posts

It might be true, Sony doesn't seem to have any announced upcoming PSVR2 games they will be publishing in 2024 so far out of the 55 PSVR2 games announced for 2024.

The backwards compatible thing is unfortunate but the PS5 has a different camera setup than the PS4, and it was used for PSVR games. The PS5 also doesn't track the controller in the way that the PS4 did. These differences mean that significant work has to be done to get the games to work on the PSVR2.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts

Can’t say that I’m at all surprised to be honest.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8429 Posts

@uitravioience said:

When Sony says "PS Portal sold better than we expected" that's just PR jargon for the bar was very low in the first place.

PS Portal is never going to be anything more than a niche peripheral.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

It might be true, Sony doesn't seem to have any announced upcoming PSVR2 games they will be publishing in 2024 so far out of the 55 PSVR2 games announced for 2024.

The backwards compatible thing is unfortunate but the PS5 has a different camera setup than the PS4, and it was used for PSVR games. The PS5 also doesn't track the controller in the way that the PS4 did. These differences mean that significant work has to be done to get the games to work on the PSVR2.

Not really. The games are looking for information about the controllers and that can be abstracted so that the older games receive the information they want without any need for reworking the game. Emulation.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts

Yeah, I’m kind of skeptical on how many Portals Sony sent to market plus how many were picked up by scalpers.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: Oh, so the Dualsense can be tracked in 3D space? What games use this?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50585 Posts

Out at PSN...

Selling terribly!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: Oh, so the Dualsense can be tracked in 3D space? What games use this?

I forgot that the PSVR2 doesn't have its own controllers. My bad.🥴

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: Yeah. Releasing a different gamepad that could work with the PSVR2 the way the DualShock 4 worked with the PSVR would probably add another expense to the hardware package which is maybe why they didn't do that.

At this point I'm not sure how they would get Astro Bot Rescue Mission to work with PSVR2 without significantly altering the game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: Yeah. Releasing a different gamepad that could work with the PSVR2 the way the DualShock 4 worked with the PSVR would probably add another expense to the hardware package which is maybe why they didn't do that.

At this point I'm not sure how they would get Astro Bot Rescue Mission to work with PSVR2 without significantly altering the game.

As I have stated before, the game doesn't care about where or what is giving it the data to function. This is a core part of abstraction in software development. If Sony cared about BC, they would have emulated whatever was needed to function for older games. It is inaccurate to claim that the original game needs altering for it to function on newer hardware with newer inputs.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: How would it map the Astro Bot Rescue Mission controls for use with PSVR2?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: How would it map the Astro Bot Rescue Mission controls for use with PSVR2?

How would what map?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: The method used to function on newer hardware with newer inputs.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: The method used to function on newer hardware with newer inputs.

Give me a function that cannot be emulated with the newer hardware.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: I'd be interested in how the DS4 positioning in 3D space would work with the PSVR2.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59063 Posts

The companies attitude to VR has been to cut up slices and tiny, tiny pie, to get what they can for their fiefdoms.

Rather than actually promote it.

Barring Valve, who went so far as to approach Facebook for make Alyx better on their headset, to which they were rebuffed.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16562 Posts

@Pedro: I called this e waste from the start. Sony should be ashamed of themselves, these bastards will do anything to try and make an extra buck, including scamming their fan base and contributing more plastic pollution to our oceans.

Take a look at the approach MS took. It's far more responsible and environmentally friendly. MS for the gamers and the environment!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pedro
@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: I'd be interested in how the DS4 positioning in 3D space would work with the PSVR2.

You simply use the PSVR2 controller.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: This seems to introduce some issues. How would the game choose which controller to prioritize for 3D motion? How would they solve the disconnect between what you see on screen with the floating DS4 and what you are doing IRL? How would they implement the touchpad?

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 UItravioIence

Sony sells a shit load of Portals and is constantly sold out since release... System wars "I doubt they even made that many" .

Can't y'all just accept you were wrong,and Portal is a great addition and is selling really well?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: This seems to introduce some issues. How would the game choose which controller to prioritize for 3D motion? How would they solve the disconnect between what you see on screen with the floating DS4 and what you are doing IRL? How would they implement the touchpad?

Everything you have mentioned can be addressed via emulation.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro
@uitravioience said:

Sony sells a shit load of Portals and is constantly sold out since release... System wars "I doubt they even made that many" .

Can't y'all just accept you were wrong,and Portal is a great addition and is selling really well?

The same thing was said about the PSVR2.🙃

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: How would you foresee emulation being used to address these specific issues?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: How would you foresee emulation being used to address these specific issues?

With specific emulation solutions.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: Can you elaborate on the specific emulation solutions you would foresee being used to address the issues with Astro Bot Rescue Mission using PSVR2 controllers instead of a DualShock 4?

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 UItravioIence

@Pedro: lol was it? Well that was foolish of people. Anyway though, Portal is a hit, it really is a great device.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: Can you elaborate on the specific emulation solutions you would foresee being used to address the issues with Astro Bot Rescue Mission using PSVR2 controllers instead of a DualShock 4?

Feel free to state the issues.

Keep in mind that you are riding on this one game for the justification of no BC.🙃

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: Simply using the PSVR2 controller to emulate the DS4 positioning in 3D space seems to introduce some issues. How would the game choose which controller to prioritize for 3D motion? How would they solve the disconnect between what you see on screen with the floating DS4 and what you are doing IRL? How would they implement the touchpad?

Keep in mind that you are riding on this one game for the justification of no BC.🙃

Perhaps we could discuss others afterwards, but if simple solutions for supporting this game with PSVR2 could be fleshed out, then it would make some of these redundant. It makes some sense to focus on specifics that could be applied elsewhere.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: Simply using the PSVR2 controller to emulate the DS4 positioning in 3D space seems to introduce some issues. How would the game choose which controller to prioritize for 3D motion? How would they solve the disconnect between what you see on screen with the floating DS4 and what you are doing IRL? How would they implement the touchpad?

Perhaps we could discuss others afterwards.

How it would choose which controller to prioritize? Simply default to one of the two. The disconnect comes with the territory because it is not the same controller. What is the touchpad used for?

If you can't discuss it now, then there is nothing left to discuss in general.🙃

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: The touchpad is used for special gadgets.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: The touchpad is used for special gadgets.

That is equal to saying "The controller is used for controlling things". What is the specific use of the touchpad as a touchpad?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: I suggest you try playing the game to find out. It might help you understand the different issues in bringing certain games over using simple emulation solutions and mapping.

Aside from that, fhe disconnect issue itself already seems to be a big one. Disconnects can cause uneasiness and discomfort when in VR. Also the buttons aren't in the same place, meaning gamers couldn't easily find the buttons by looking at the virtual controller in the game, and the reactions on the controller would further add to the disconnect. The instructions in the game would be confusing and wouldn't match the controller. Some of this also applies to the Move controllers compared to the PSVR2 controllers, both in the number of buttons on each controller, and the positioning. The glyphs might also not match if mapping were to be used. There is no Move button on PSVR2, no T button, no touchpad.

Frustrating experiences such as this can cause unfavorable views of the product and perhaps it is possible that decisions regarding solutions for certain games would negatively impact perception.

It's possible that third parties would be unhappy if complaints about their game would come to them due to an imposed solution from Sony.

IMO it seems likely that per-game issues would need to be resolved.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

So, you can't tell me the issues with the touchpad.👍🏽

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@Pedro: You can choose to believe that and ignore the issues if you wish.

I still recommend playing Astro Bot Rescue Mission!

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

PSVR 3 needs to be cordless. Having a swappable battery would be nice or one that last at least a few hours. Pancake lenses are a must have. After using Meta quest 3, it’s hard to go back to PSVR 2. Apple is on the right track but needs a much lower price point. AR also is a must have. I don’t mind the clip on or stuck in your pocket battery pack that Apple uses… takes weight off the headset. With meta quest 3, AR is much more interesting than VR.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22735 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

PSVR 3 needs to be cordless. Having a swappable battery would be nice or one that last at least a few hours. Pancake lenses are a must have. After using Meta quest 3, it’s hard to go back to PSVR 2. Apple is on the right track but needs a much lower price point. AR also is a must have. I don’t mind the clip on or stuck in your pocket battery pack that Apple uses… takes weight off the headset. With meta quest 3, AR is much more interesting than VR.

Psvr3? 😂 Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me... Fool me thrice shame on.... Insanity?

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2531 Posts

A VR headset with OLED optics and eye tracking should have been a homerun. PlayStation decided to launch the best VR headset with damn near zero software support. And now that they’re in “fixing the books” mode, the PSVR2 has no place in the PlayStation strategy. PC wont save it since VR is still niche there too. VR needed a major player like PlayStation to make it mainstream. PlayStation never took it seriously so here we are. Watching goofballs with $3500 Apple goggles acting like they’re doing something new… 🙄

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6195 Posts

@Chutebox: @uitravioience: So how many portals have been sold?

See whenever Sony sells a shit ton of something they shout it from the rooftops, notice Sony hasn't even been to the rooftop when it comes to the Portal or the PSVR2, but, but sold out.