Thank You System Wars

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I put in an almost inordinate amount of effort into this prank, so how flattering it was when peole started to fall for it. How flattering it was when there was a five page argument over the Wii U caused by this. How flattering it was when all of you complimented the writing in this post (which, if I may be allowed a rare moment of immodestly, I think I nailed, particularly the quotes).

So to everyone who posted and fell for this, thanks.

To everyone who fell for this for just a while, thanks.

To everyone who fell for this and then promptly proceeded to delete your posts when you realized it was an April Fools joke, thanks.

To everyone who complimented me on the effort that went into making this thread, thanks.

To everyone who argued and trolled in this thread, providing fodder to keep it alive, thanks.

To the couple of people who helped me keep this thread alive right around when I made it, thanks.

To everyone who copied my style of prank for their own prank threads, thanks.

To the mod who locked this thread when it wasn't even four pages, no thanks whatsoever. To blue_hazy_basic, who was kind enough to unlock the thread for me, thanks.

To all of you, to this complete forum who fell for this prank, if only for a second... thanks.

Thank you everyone. This shall forever be remembered as the day when I successfully trolled System Wars with the most elaborately constructed prank in this forum's history by a single user ever.

All hail me. Charizard1605, the man who won April Fools on System Wars.

[Quote="Kotaku"]Ahead of their fiscal year end briefing with the investors two weeks from now, Nintendo has announced thatit will be dropping the price of its Wii U console effective immediately; the Basic model, which offers 8 GB of storage, will now retail for $199, whereas the so called Deluxe Set, which offers 32 GB as well as a subscription to Nintendo's Deluxe Download Program, will now retail for $229. This $120 price cut for the Deluxe model effectively is the largest price cut a mainstream console has ever received, and it comes just four months after the console's launch.

'It is our job as the platform holder to stimulate growth for the Wii U as a platform, and to provide quality content for our consumers, whether it comes from our internal studios, or our second and third party partners,' Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said in a statement issued to the press. 'To ensure that the Wii U console's momentum is maintained, Nintendo has determined that this price cut is the best option going forward. At its new price point, Wii U now provides consumers with even more unprecedented value, whether it be via quality software such as Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros., innovative hardware such as the Wii U Pad, unprecedented services such as Miiverse and the Nintendo eShop, or just a healthy and rounded range of entertainment options such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Video, all of which are provided via our Nintendo TVii software.'

Speaking to the press in Japan, Iwata appeared apologetic. 'It pains me to take such a drastic measure so early in the system's lifespan,' he said, 'and particularly after the 3DS price cut, it may seem like part of a pre-meditated strategy on Nintendo's part. As such, I can understand any loss of consumer confidence that Nintendo will suffer. It was not my intention for Nintendo to lose goodwill with its consumers. Whereas I understand Nintendo will have to work hard to regain this trust going forward, in the meanwhile, I would like to apologize to our existing Wii U customers by offering them five free complementary Gamecube games, as well as any five SNES or N64 games of their choosing from a pre-determined selection.'

Iwata's statement essentially confirms the Wii U Ambassador Program; the earlier 3DS Ambassador Program offered early 3DS adopters 10 free NES and 10 free GBA games over the eShop. The new Wii U Ambassador Program seems to be a bit more robust, offering as it does Wii U owners to pick five games of their own liking from a pool of SNES and N64 games, and offering them five Gamecube games to boot.

The Wii U launched late last year. Following an unremarkable launch characterized by a strong retail performance, sales plummeted across the world, falling to as low as 59,000 units in the US in January. By December 31, 2012, Nintendo had sold 3 million Wii U systems worldwide, but it slashed forecasts for the system for the final quarter of its fiscal year.

Nintendo's latest price drop may seem a bit depserate, especially in the wake of the widespread 'next generation' support that the PS4 and the next Xbox are getting, that is all skipping the Wii U, but it signals strong intent on Nintendo's part. It is also an aggressive move to stimulate sales for the slumping platform right at the beginning of the new fiscal year.

Kotaku will have more for you on this, including details on the Ambassador Program, as it comes.Original Post

SOURCE via NeoGAF

Holy shit. Damn. I thought the 3DS price cut was bad, but this...

How do you all feel about this? Is the Wii U worth it at the newer price points? Do you think it makes for a more attractive purchase? And for those who already own the system, how do they feel? Are you satisfied with the new Ambassador Program?

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Bayonetta 2 is also coming to the PS360. :(
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

i cant believe this honestly. they already was at a loss unless the 3ds is really doing stupendous for them

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

i cant believe this honestly. they already was at a loss unless the 3ds is really doing stupendous for them

Mario1331
I think the 3DS has been selling at a reasonable profit since the launch of the 3DS XL; plus 3DS software sales have been insane, so I think that might be picking up the slack for them.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

God damnit, f*ckin' Nintendo. I just bought a Deluxe set yesterday. Stick to your damn word for once.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

charizard1605

I think the 3DS has been selling at a reasonable profit since the launch of the 3DS XL; plus 3DS software sales have been insane, so I think that might be picking up the slack for them.

well nintendo honestly doesnt slack off

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

April fools. This should be the actual price for such outdated hardware however.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Mario1331"]

Mario1331

well nintendo honestly doesnt slack off

Well, they have been so far with the Wii U, it's impossible to deny that. They wouldn't have had to drop the price in the first place if they had just handled the system's launch a little better.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

If this were true I would buy one this week.

But yay, April fools.  Had me going for about 10 seconds.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17693 Posts
April 1st?
Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts
April Fools, could easily tell from title.
Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
Took me 2 seconds to get he is trolling you morons. Pay attention dammit.
Avatar image for WithoutGraceXII
WithoutGraceXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WithoutGraceXII
Member since 2007 • 1797 Posts
I wish this were true, I'd buy the deluxe at $230. Maybe before the PS4 launches they'll give it a price cut.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#16 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts
*looks at calender* If this is even true, well, there's more of their profits down the toilet.
Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

*sigh*

I completely fell for this for a second there.  As of now I'm waiting for the holidays, but I would have bought one by the end of the month if this were true.

I'm a sucker.  I better just stay at home today lol

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#18 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts
April Fools, could easily tell from title.Oil_Rope_Bombs
I could tell by the damn calender.
KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

To be honest, I know it's April Fools, but this sounds too believable, so I fell for it ... :lol:

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts

[Quote="Kotaku"]Ahead of their fiscal year end briefing with the investors two weeks from now, Nintendo has announced thatit will be dropping the price of its Wii U console effective immediately; the Basic model, which offers 8 GB of storage, will now retail for $199, whereas the so called Deluxe Set, which offers 32 GB as well as a subscription to Nintendo's Deluxe Download Program, will now retail for $229. This $120 price cut for the Deluxe model effectively is the largest price cut a mainstream console has ever received, and it comes just four months after the console's launch.

'It is our job as the platform holder to stimulate growth for the Wii U as a platform, and to provide quality content for our consumers, whether it comes from our internal studios, or our second and third party partners,' Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said in a statement issued to the press. 'To ensure that the Wii U console's momentum is maintained, Nintendo has determined that this price cut is the best option going forward. At its new price point, Wii U now provides consumers with even more unprecedented value, whether it be via quality software such as Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros., innovative hardware such as the Wii U Pad, unprecedented services such as Miiverse and the Nintendo eShop, or just a healthy and rounded range of entertainment options such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Video, all of which are provided via our Nintendo TVii software.'

Speaking to the press in Japan, Iwata appeared apologetic. 'It pains me to take such a drastic measure so early in the system's lifespan,' he said, 'and particularly after the 3DS price cut, it may seem like part of a pre-meditated strategy on Nintendo's part. As such, I can understand any loss of consumer confidence that Nintendo will suffer. It was not my intention for Nintendo to lose goodwill with its consumers. Whereas I understand Nintendo will have to work hard to regain this trust going forward, in the meanwhile, I would like to apologize to our existing Wii U customers by offering them five free complementary Gamecube games, as well as any five SNES or N64 games of their choosing from a pre-determined selection.'

Iwata's statement essentially confirms the Wii U Ambassador Program; the earlier 3DS Ambassador Program offered early 3DS adopters 10 free NES and 10 free GBA games over the eShop. The new Wii U Ambassador Program seems to be a bit more robust, offering as it does Wii U owners to pick five games of their own liking from a pool of SNES and N64 games, and offering them five Gamecube games to boot.

The Wii U launched late last year. Following an unremarkable launch characterized by a strong retail performance, sales plummeted across the world, falling to as low as 59,000 units in the US in January. By December 31, 2012, Nintendo had sold 3 million Wii U systems worldwide, but it slashed forecasts for the system for the final quarter of its fiscal year.

Nintendo's latest price drop may seem a bit depserate, especially in the wake of the widespread 'next generation' support that the PS4 and the next Xbox are getting, that is all skipping the Wii U, but it signals strong intent on Nintendo's part. It is also an aggressive move to stimulate sales for the slumping platform right at the beginning of the new fiscal year.

Kotaku will have more for you on this, including details on the Ambassador Program, as it comes.charizard1605

SOURCE via NeoGAF

Holy shit. Damn. I thought the 3DS price cut was bad, but this...

How do you all feel about this? Is the Wii U worth it at the newer price points? Do you think it makes for a more attractive purchase? And for those who already own the system, how do they feel? Are you satisfied with the new Ambassador Program?

Holy Crap! Nintendo didn't learn their lesson afterall. I mean, why the hell would you release such outdated tech at such a high price point? After what happened with the 3DS, they are handling the Wii U even worse!! That's a huge smack in the face to everyone that bought the Wii U. Nintendo is making terrible decisions lately and it might cost them their fanbase. Well, maybe the Wii U has a chance now.
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kaszilla
Nintendo SHOULD drop the price tho!! It's outdated for gods sake!! Lord!
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Holy Crap! Nintendo didn't learn their lesson afterall. I mean, why the hell would you release such outdated tech at such a high price point? After what happened with the 3DS, they are handling the Wii U even worse!! That's a huge smack in the face to everyone that bought the Wii U. Nintendo is making terrible decisions lately and it might cost them their fanbase. Well, maybe the Wii U has a chance now.Kaszilla
I would say April Fool but I think the latter part of that phrase applies to you regardless of the month.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ChubbyGuy40

Nintendo SHOULD drop the price tho!! It's outdated for gods sake!! Lord!Kaszilla

Outdated =/= bad or cheap. Every console is already outdated when they release. Does that mean they need price drops the moment they launch?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23995 Posts

Well, I surely wouldnt mind being able to play Super Smash Bros Melee again (my Melee disk doesnt work anymore)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

At_First_I_Was_Like____by_TheNimbus.png.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17693 Posts

To be honest, I know it's April Fools, but this sounds too believable, so I fell for it ... :lol:

KiZZo1
Well I have to admit I fell for it for a sec, not only due to the Wii U's situation but the TC's effort (though I suspect it's not his work).
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#27 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Welcome to the boulevard of broken dreams.
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts
[QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

MirkoS77
Well I have to admit I fell for it for a sec, not only due to the Wii U's situation but the TC's effort (though I suspect it's not his work).

Nope, click on the source links; it's all him. That's more effort than should have been put in, honestly :P
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Why is everybody so stupid? It's April 1st. Assume every story you read is fake.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kaszilla

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]Nintendo SHOULD drop the price tho!! It's outdated for gods sake!! Lord!ChubbyGuy40

Outdated =/= bad or cheap. Every console is already outdated when they release. Does that mean they need price drops the moment they launch?

They are? Not being the abaolute top of the line doesnt equal outdated. The Wii U is literally last gen w/ a cpu weaker than the 360 and a comparable gpu.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

KiZZo1

I would have believed it also since a few shops in the UK are dropping the price.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]Nintendo SHOULD drop the price tho!! It's outdated for gods sake!! Lord!Kaszilla

They are? Not being the abaolute top of the line doesnt equal outdated. The Wii U is literally last gen w/ a cpu weaker than the 360 and a comparable gpu.

A better GPU, and it uses a GPGPU, which is rather advanced technology, and well beyond either the Xbox or the PS3.
KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#33 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

$200 for what? rather just play my PS3, more games, better gfx lol. PS4 is true next gen.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#34 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

charizard1605

A better GPU, and it uses a GPGPU, which is rather advanced technology, and well beyond either the Xbox or the PS3.

You can put a geforce titan on the Wii u and its still fail. The 3 core 1.2ghz cpu is just too bad for it to beat PS360. msg me when wii u gets games that look good like beyond, uncharted 3, killzone, last of us...

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Hahah been reading April Fools Jokes all day but this one actually got me, its almost too believable.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's April 1st aka get the hell of the internet day.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ChubbyGuy40

They are? Not being the abaolute top of the line doesnt equal outdated. The Wii U is literally last gen w/ a cpu weaker than the 360 and a comparable gpu.Kaszilla

Mind explaining how the CPU is weaker than Xenon, or how the GPU is comparable to Xenos? Without parameters we can compare a GTX 680 to a 8800GT.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kaszilla
[QUOTE="Kaszilla"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

charizard1605

Still comparable. It's like Nintendo found the weakest gpu they possibly could. They would have aimed even lower if they could.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ChubbyGuy40

Still comparable. It's like Nintendo found the weakest gpu they possibly could. They would have aimed even lower if they could.Kaszilla

Nintendo found the strongest GPU that fit within their power budget of 75w. There's a reason they didn't go higher.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

SolidTy

Its better that I fall for these lies in the comfort of my own home.

I'm staying on the internet and off the streets.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Knew it was fake before even entering the thread.

Still, I'd buy a Wii-U for that price and the ambassador program.  Saves me the trouble of rebuying a Wii.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kaszilla

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]They are? Not being the abaolute top of the line doesnt equal outdated. The Wii U is literally last gen w/ a cpu weaker than the 360 and a comparable gpu.ChubbyGuy40

Mind explaining how the CPU is weaker than Xenon, or how the GPU is comparable to Xenos? Without parameters we can compare a GTX 680 to a 8800GT.

It's using 3 wii cores clocked at a puny 1.24 Ghz. Developers have complained about the weak cpu being weaker than the Ps360's. The Wii U's gpu is only marginally more powerful than the xenos. It doesnt blow it away by any means. Just look at the games. And it doesnt matter if those are early life games, it's not like the Wii U is using an exotic set up or anything.
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts
Have to say that was a very well written spoof, the salesman like statement from Nintendo US and the grovelling apology from Nintendo Japan were very well observed and believable. 9/10 would read again.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SolidTy

Have to say that was a very well written spoof, the salesman like statement from Nintendo US and the grovelling apology from Nintendo Japan were very well observed and believable. 9/10 would read again.JamDev

It wasn't so bad for SW material to be honest.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kaszilla

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]Still comparable. It's like Nintendo found the weakest gpu they possibly could. They would have aimed even lower if they could.ChubbyGuy40

Nintendo found the strongest GPU that fit within their power budget of 75w. There's a reason they didn't go higher.

Why is their limit 75w? They stooped that low just for power efficiency? Pity. .
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="JamDev"]Have to say that was a very well written spoof, the salesman like statement from Nintendo US and the grovelling apology from Nintendo Japan were very well observed and believable. 9/10 would read again.SolidTy

Wasn't bad for SW material?

Compared to what I've been seeing/reading the past few months, this is gold Jerry, gold!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Wiimotefan

Its better that I fall for these lies in the comfort of my own home.

I'm staying on the internet and off the streets.

You are staying off the streets? Well I'm looking through your window and I like what I see. I love muumuus.

April Foolya.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Kaszilla
It's funny that so many ppl would buy that trash even at $199! Nintendo NEEDS to drop the price, if they cant afford to then they shouldnt have released the thing.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="JamDev"]Have to say that was a very well written spoof, the salesman like statement from Nintendo US and the grovelling apology from Nintendo Japan were very well observed and believable. 9/10 would read again.MLBknights58

Wasn't bad for SW material?

Compared to what I've been seeing/reading the past few months, this is gold Jerry, gold!

It's certainly an improvement from former years...hmmmm, I do enjoy the first page comments.