The SYSTEM WARS MOST ANTICIPATED GAME OF 2017 Is...

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I asked. You answered. Over 100 votes, and too many games to keep track of, but here we are- System Wars has picked its most anticipated game of 2017, and the result is- well, I suppose whether you find it expected or surprising will depend entirely on where you are standing.

This one game, however, and the nine runners-up, represent what is likely to be the cream of the crop of gaming come 2017- the best games in a year that promises to be packed with great games. Here they are, in order:

SYSTEM WARS MOST ANTICIPATED GAME OF 2017: RUNNERS-UP:

10. GOD OF WAR (PS4)

The next entry in Sony Santa Monica's flagship franchise promises to be a structural and mechanical reboot- a complete change in setting (we've shifted gears to Norse mythology, now), coupled with entirely different gameplay (featuring branching paths, camera control, new mechanics, and the addition of an AI partner), and a more sedate pace, the new God of War looks like the kind of dramatic overhaul the series has been yearning for. God of War has spent years getting long in the tooth, and it is incredibly satisfying to see the series be exciting and fresh again. It's no wonder that, even knowing as little about it as we do, System Wars is excited enough for God of War for it to land on the Most Anticipated Games of 2017 list.

9. SHENMUE 3 (PS4/PC)

The impossible is happening, and Shenmue 3 is actually going to be made. Fans who have wondered how Ryo's story ends now need to wait not much longer- Shenmue 3 caps off the saga and resolves the cliffhanger from Shenmue 2 at last. While it is unclear if the new game will be able to set standards for open worlds, immersion, graphics, and storytelling like the original duology did - it is being made on a Kickstarter budget after all - fans of Yu Suzuki's crowning achievement are likely to simply be happy that the game is allowed to exist at all.

8. SCALEBOUND (XONE/PC)

Platinum Games and Hideki Kamiya's upcoming Scalebound has been a long time coming- and while its showings haven't necessarily been the most convincing, the sheer pedigree of the talent behind the game ensures that fans are going to be excited for it, and sit up and take notice. Plus, come on- an action RPG with dragons made by Platinum Games? Who wouldn't want some of that? Thankfully, we don't have long to wait before we get to play this game at last. If it's even half the game that Kamiya's previous work has been, it will be a legendary addition to the Xbox One lineup.

7. NIOH (PS4)

Team Ninja's brutally difficult game starring the only western samurai ever seems to be a spiritual successor to From Software's Demon's Souls- the game promises that same brand of difficult, exacting, satisfying gameplay, with the same kinds of smart encounters that made the Souls games so beloved worldwide. For Team Ninja, who have been having a bad patch ever since the departure of Itagaki, the game promises a shot at a return to form. And for PlayStation fans, many of whom have been waiting for this game for ten years, since when it was first announced in 2006, this game represents the chance to have a truly stunning addition to the PlayStation library, unlikely to be like any other game releasing next year.

6. SEA OF THIEVES (XONE/PC)

Rare haven't had the best time of it lately- the studio has seen so many high profile departures, has been variously made to work on Kinect projects, or Xbox Live avatars, and is generally just a shell of its former shell now. Which is why seeing Sea of Thieves is such a pleasant surprise- the game looks to be Rare back in top form, delivering a charming, pleasant, and addictively fun experience that is bound to win the hearts of gamers the world over. Sea of Thieves looks like it will be one of the most unique additions to the Xbox One library- and simultaneously, it also looks like it will remind the gaming world why we all loved Rare to begin with.

5. RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 (PS4/XONE)

Surprisingly enough, Rockstar's upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2 only lands itself a fifth place position on this chart. The original Red Dead Redemption is one of the highest rated games of all time, one of the most beloved games of last generation, and a title that probably boasts one of the most passionate fanbases in gaming (and that truly is saying something). All of this means that Red Dead Redemption 2's fifth place finish is a bit confusing, sure, but it also means that the sequel is likely to be every bit as great as the original game- especially coming as it is from Rockstar, who, fresh off of the world shattering success of Grand Theft Auto V, really can do no wrong right now.

4. HORIZON: ZERO DAWN (PS4)

Guerrilla Games' upcoming project looks to be unlike anything they have done before- an open world action RPG with what might be one of the most unique and visually arresting settings in video games, and an immensely intriguing lead character, every part of Horizon instantly piques interest. That we have been seeing the game for so long, and that it has only gotten better in all that time with each new look that we have gotten at it, inspires even more confidence in it. Guerrilla Games have, thus far, been known for largely middling shooters with overly linear gameplay- can they make the jump from something like Killzone, to something as audaciously ambitious as Horizon? We're going to find out in February when the game releases at last, but all early indications seem to point at a resounding 'YES' as the answer to that question.

3. PERSONA 5 (PS4/PS3)

For the third year straight, Persona 5 manages to make it on to this list, and it does so this year at the highest position it has ever held on this poll- indicating the generally high level of excitement surrounding Persona 5. The higher and more visible profile the series has enjoyed in the west in the years since Persona 5's original announcement all those years ago, plus some great showings over the last year, as well as the stunningly positive reception the game got upon its Japanese release earlier this year, all seem to have people on board- Persona 5 promises to be a truly special game, and a triumphant return to form of the JRPG, a genre that has languished on consoles in the last few years. Persona 3 and Persona 4 are widely regarded by fans to be among the greatest games ever made- can Persona 5 perform a threepeat and top those two? Four years after its initial announcement, we're this close to finally finding out.

2. MASS EFFECT ANDROMEDA (PS4/XONE/PC)

Five years after the most controversial ending in video game history, Mass Effect will be returning with Mass Effect Andromeda, which looks to be among the most ambitious RPGs ever made. Bioware's newest game will follow humanity attempting to explore and chart a home for itself in the Andromeda galaxy, facing new threats along the way. With an entire galaxy open to players to explore, and a return ti the kind of open ended, exploration based gameplay that made the original Mass Effect so beloved, before its sequels went in an entirely different direction, Mass Effect Andromeda, should it stick the landing, could end up being one of the most beloved games of this generation. Will it stick the landing? Bioware's recent track record isn't the most encouraging, but as long time fans of the studio know, when the developer is firing on all cylinders, it really fires on all cylinders.

---

Okay, so just to recap, here's the list of the runners-up:

10. God of War

09. Shenmue 3

08. Scalebound

07. Nioh

06. Sea of Thieves

05. Red Dead Redemption 2

04. Horizon: Zero Dawn

03. Persona 5

02. Mass Effect Andromeda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

SYSTEM WARS MOST ANTICIPATED GAME OF 2017

1. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (SWITCH/WII U)

After three years of teasing, we finally got to see what Eiji Aonuma and his team have been working at behind the scenes at Nintendo. The answer? The most ambitious, modern game that Nintendo have ever made. A thorough reimagining of Zelda, with the game being reshaped to fit into the mould of the modern, open world, western RPG, Breath of the Wild looks to combine the ambition of western games like Skyrim with the kind of meticulous game design and attention to detail that Nintendo is known for. Throw in the game's sheer scope, and its intriguing use of the Zelda series mythos and lore, along with its vastly expansive gameplay systems and mechanics, and the reams upon reams of content, not to mention a stellar showing at E3 2016 that won the hearts of everybody; add in the fact that the game just looks and sounds gorgeous, as a Zelda game is wont to do. To that potent mix, add the excitement that comes with this new Zelda game being a showcase for an all new system launch- with Nintendo's pedigree, and Zelda's legacy, is there any wonder that Breath of the Wild is being anticipated as much as it is? For the last few years, the argument can be made that Nintendo have been biding their time, sleeping, putting out filler content that while mechanically accomplished, is not quite up to the kinds of standards they have set for themselves. With Breath of the Wild, the sleeping giant looks to awaken again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

FINAL TOP 10, IN ORDER, WITH POINTS:

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 1255 points
  • Mass Effect Andromeda: 1155 points
  • Persona 5: 890 points
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn: 875 points
  • Red Dead Redemption 2: 680 points
  • Sea of Thieves: 420 points
  • Nioh: 380 points
  • Scalebound: 325 points
  • Shenmue 3: 320 points
  • God of War: 280 points

NUMBERS 11-20, IN ORDER:

• NieR Automata
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Squadron 42
  • Prey
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Crackdown 3
  • Yooka-Laylee
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • CyberPunk 2077
  • Ni no Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

Doesn't resemble my anticipated list at all.

My top 3 would be Yooka Laylee, Prey and Spiderman.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56406 Posts

Yeah, I pick 2 out of 10 The System Wars Most Anticipate Games of 2017. Horizon: Zero Dawn & Mass Effect: Andromeda but my last one was Nintendo Switch. Sad it didn't make it to the list despite it's a console, next-gen console actually.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k

@davillain- said:

Yeah, I pick 2 out of 10 The System Wars Most Anticipate Games of 2017. Horizon: Zero Dawn & Mass Effect: Andromeda but my last one was Nintendo Switch. Sad it didn't make it to the list despite it's a console, next-gen console actually.

We got two new upcoming consoles next year, exciting times !

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@davillain- said:

Because the vote was specifically for games, not consoles. In your list, for instance, I had to ignore the Switch vote, and then move on to the fourth game you had listed, moving it up to third place.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Yeah that's a succulent list. 2016 looks like one of the great gaming years. Yeah, we say that every year!

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

So in conclusion the xbone is mostly irrelevant. If Scalebound flops it's game over for lems.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Good list, I'm excited to see how this year turns out. I'm definitely picking up Persona 5 and BotW when they release.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Sh!t! Mass Effect Andromeda should have won :(

Am really curious to see by what margin Zelda won

Btw, thx for your efforts on this thread and the others alike.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mjorh: I added the scoreboard in the third post, if you want to see the margin of victory!

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mjorh

@charizard1605: Thanks!

Well, it was so close, that's a silverlining

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mjorh

@R4gn4r0k said:

Doesn't resemble my anticipated list at all.

My top 3 would be Yooka Laylee, Prey and Spiderman.

i don't think Spiderman would make it for this year, i do hope it turns out to be as awesome as Batman...Superhero genre needs some good games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k

@mjorh said:

i don't think Spiderman would make it for this year, i do hope it turns out to be as awesome as Batman...Superhero genre needs some good games.

With their being so many open world games the most interesting ones are those with superheroes in it :P

Plus, I'm anxious to see what Insomniac will do with the Spiderman IP.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56406 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@davillain- said:

Because the vote was specifically for games, not consoles. In your list, for instance, I had to ignore the Switch vote, and then move on to the fourth game you had listed, moving it up to third place.

Oh it's cool. I thought I added due to being something newer despite it's a next-gen console. Overall, great thread and kudos for putting a lot of efforts.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

I dont think Zelda should have been number 1 after the demo at the game awards, but im happy Persona 5 got so high up there

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@aigis said:

I dont think Zelda should have been number 1 after the demo at the game awards, but im happy Persona 5 got so high up there

Hm? The demo was fine, just really badly edited. Certainly does not negate the 6 and a half hours of footage Nintendo shared for the game at E3.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@charizard1605: meh it kinda killed my hype a bit, they seemed so bored playing it. Its definitely a top 10 game, but I want something story wise... or at least a release date. It just feels like i've been seeing a lot of the same. I bet you they will announce a date in January with the switch stuff at least.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

Well at least 2 out of 3 of mine are on here even if it wasn't the big one. Also quick note, Shenmue III isn't the end of the story. There's going to be at least a fourth and maybe fifth game before reaching that point.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

My most anticipated games are Horizon and Zelda.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Glad to see Shenmue 3 made it into the top 10. Next year is really stacked. I plan to purchase 6 of the top 10 listed above.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

The totals turned my list upsidedown lol

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9899 Posts

Is Cyberpunk 2077 really coming next year? Would have voted for that if I knew. Anyway list makes sense, a new Zelda is always a big thing in gaming even though I personally won't play this one for years. I honestly haven't been that impressed by what they've shown either. There's a bunch of physics stuff you can do, which is cool I guess, just look a bit barren/rough. I dunno, not really feeling it.

Think there will be a lot more breath to the wild of RDR.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

My anticipated games were Persona 5, RDR2, Horizon. Couldn't careless Mass Effect , and if I got Switch, probably will get Zelda.

Never played a Shenmue game before but I like concept of the game (fighting focused gameplay, open world, sets in China, Japan).

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is my most anticipated game right now for sure.

Also interested in Scalebound and Horizon: Zero Dawn from that list.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Is Cyberpunk 2077 really coming next year? Would have voted for that if I knew. Anyway list makes sense, a new Zelda is always a big thing in gaming even though I personally won't play this one for years. I honestly haven't been that impressed by what they've shown either. There's a bunch of physics stuff you can do, which is cool I guess, just look a bit barren/rough. I dunno, not really feeling it.

We don't know... some retailers are listing it as possibly 2017. But I highly doubt it (most likely 2018/2019 I think). I voted for it as my number 1 anyway :)

As for the list, pretty much what I thought it would be. But it certainly isn't my top 10.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

OP failed. Knack 2 is where it's at.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9899 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Sushiglutton said:

We don't know... some retailers are listing it as possibly 2017. But I highly doubt it (most likely 2018/2019 I think). I voted for it as my number 1 anyway :)

As for the list, pretty much what I thought it would be. But it certainly isn't my top 10.

Ah ok, I'm in the middle of TW3 so I kind of want CP2077 to be 2018 to spread the awesome some (TW3 is probably the best game I've ever played, well it feels like it ~35h in at least :) ).

Think Nier should have been up there (11 is ok I guess). Kind of wish I gone with that rather than GOW.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Ah ok, I'm in the middle of TW3 so I kind of want CP2077 to be 2018 to spread the awesome some (TW3 is probably the best game I've ever played, well it feels like it ~35h in at least :) ).

Think Nier should have been up there (11 is ok I guess). Kind of wish I gone with that rather than GOW.

Yeah Witcher 3 is pretty special... that's why I'm so excited for CP2077. Gonna be epic!

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Cyberpunk 2077 isnt releasing in 2017 and God of War is most likely a 2018 game

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

it's baffling that the switch is releasing without breath of the wild as a launch title, it's like nintendo doesn't want their new console to be a massive success

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Zelda? lol.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

A f2p like title such as Sea of Thieves is in front of Nioh? Dat SW taste. And what's up with Zelda? It looks like another Zelda SS with rock climbing.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@Zensword said:

My anticipated games were Persona 5, RDR2, Horizon. Couldn't careless Mass Effect , and if I got Switch, probably will get Zelda.

Never played a Shenmue game before but I like concept of the game (fighting focused gameplay, open world, sets in China, Japan).

If you have a PC or Shield TV, try the DC emulator or buy a DC.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 princeofshapeir
@silversix_ said:

And what's up with Zelda? It looks like another Zelda SS with rock climbing.

it doesn't. it's doing away with a lot of the shackles that held the series back

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@princeofshapeir:

The level design is almost anti-Skyward Sword.

a lot of interviews the series director has given suggests that they are moving in the opposite direction from Skyward Sword's more nested and linear approach.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Half of this shit isn't coming out next year and not even because they're delayed.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 princeofshapeir

@Big_Pecks said:

Half of this shit isn't coming out next year and not even because they're delayed.

half is a massive exaggeration. the only game i wouldn't expect next year is god of war. RDR 2 and shenmue III are likely to be delayed but were announced for 2017. everything else is coming out next year

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Dont recall seeing this poll. Was it posted on the Nintendo board? Because Breath of the Wild looks pretty mediocre.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#42 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Son of Thieves is quite surprising because that game looks like utter garbage.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 princeofshapeir

@DocSanchez said:

Breath of the Wild looks pretty mediocre.

how so?

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

The only game I'm really looking forward to off that list is RDR2. I'm hesitant about HZD and GoW so will wait for reviews.

Avatar image for deactivated-587acdd100f19
deactivated-587acdd100f19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-587acdd100f19
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

Sea of Thieves is more anticipated than Shenmue 3? lol there's just no hope for this community.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@princeofshapeir: I've played open world games now for a long time and this doesn't look special at all. Imagine to yourself this wasn't a zelda game. Imagine it was on xbox, or pc, and the characters were slightly changed. How hyped would you be? A little? Sure. You might even think it looked great. But the most anticipated game of the year? Come on. I like it stylistically, the gameplay looks pretty normal but that's not a huge issue.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

I am surprised that the free to play looking game, Nioh, even charted. Then again this is Sonyspot.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@Ghost_Dub said:

Sea of Thieves is more anticipated than Shenmue 3? lol there's just no hope for this community.

That is what I thought when I saw the list....I couldn't believe that multiplat kickstarter piece of shit was even on there.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Is this forum filled with Nintendo fanboys or something? How could that honestly be #1 when a game like RDR2 will easily sell 3x the amount? The voting was obviously lop sided by Miyamoto worshipers.

Also, Persona 5 being #3 on that list just tells me I'm surrounded by a bunch of weeaboos.

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

Crash Bandicoot Remastered Collection.......