Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24993 Posts

Hello friends,

So I came across this video

and He made a good points.

First off, I like Crysis. I though it was good but its not as "OMG best PC FPS EVER because of itss ahead of time graphicz" nope.

it was just fun sandbox FPS for first half before it become linear scripted corridor shooter in second half where fighitng aliens is as fun as washing dishes.

The game is 91 on metacritic

while far superior STALKER is barely low 80s

yes thats BS but Stalker was eastern european game and not publish by EA. GSC didnot pay to reviewers like EA did thats why the real PC shooter forgotten Crysis was one that promoted heavily.

only thing Crysis actually had over Stalker was graphics. even gunplay was worse in crysis.

second is Crysis offer everything console FPS is criticized for. ie weapon limit, regen health, checkpoints, on rail segments, cinematic. and too easy on hardest difficulty.

I think Crysis is good 8/10 game (infact when i was younger it was 9/10 game but replayed it realized its flaws).

so my friends, was Crysis overrated? was it overrated by PC gamers that time?

lets discuss.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts

Hell no, still a fantastic game with some flawed gunplay and AI.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

but I can name 10 or even 15 FPS that are better than Crysis.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7222 Posts

It’s just graphical gimmicks. Stalker on the other hand has fun gameplay and an awesome world.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ghosts4ever

@mesome713 said:

It’s just graphical gimmicks. Stalker on the other hand has fun gameplay and an awesome world.

aboslutely. STALKER have everything Crysis didnot had

Actual sandbox design, both indoor and outdoor enviroment work better in STALKER. in crysis indoor segments while little feel like rushed, the actualy inventory management unlike weapon limit in Crysis. Much better gunplay and gore unlike shitty gunplay in Crysis with no gore.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

And I can name 20 that are better than Metro.

Crysis is a great game, and Warhead is even better;

Crysis 2 massively improved the gunplay, but does that make it a better game? No.

People constantly whine that Half Life 2 doesn't have good gunplay. But I never had this issue. Not satisfied with the gunplay? Install Mmod and turn on projectile bullets and turn off hitscan.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59163 Posts

I'd argue it was underrated.

At launch it was lampooned by a sect of gamers as a "tech demo" with certain media outlets (Gametrailers) making outlandish claims.

Of course, it still got overwhelming praise on the whole, but it had that group of "assholes".

I'd rather boot up Crysis/Warhead than whatever Far Cry we are on now.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@uninspiredcup said:

At launch it was lampooned by a sect of gamers as a "tech demo" with certain media outlets (Gametrailers) making outlandish claims.

Of course, it still got overwhelming praise on the whole, but it had that group of "assholes".

underrated?

it got 91 at meta. every reviewer praising it like 9s. and tech demo argument make sense because gunplay was mediocre.

FEAR released 2 years before and blow the crap out of Crysis in gunplay department. the enemies variety suck. generic looking korean and worst alien design fight. and people complain about Prey alien design? lol.

if anything was underrated. it was Metro 2033 that era.

replaying both Cryiss and Bioshock today I found Bioshock more dynamic and more old school with no regen health, no weapon limit and no on rail segments.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 uninspiredcup

This take is nuclear bad.

Loading Video...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@R4gn4r0k said:

Crysis 2 massively improved the gunplay, but does that make it a better game? No.

People constantly whine that Half Life 2 doesn't have good gunplay. But I never had this issue. Not satisfied with the gunplay? Install Mmod and turn on projectile bullets and turn off hitscan.

Warhead suck. it was Crysis 2 prototype.

Crysis 2 has better combat and alien fight actually. but everything step back but difference between Crysis 1 and 2 is not the difference between Deus Ex 1 and 2.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

underrated?

it got 91 at meta. every reviewer praising it like 9s. and tech demo argument make sense because gunplay was mediocre.

FEAR released 2 years before and blow the crap out of Crysis in gunplay department. the enemies variety suck. generic looking korean and worst alien design fight. and people complain about Prey alien design? lol.

replaying both Cryiss and Bioshock today I found Bioshock more dynamic and more old school with no regen health, no weapon limit and no on rail segments.

Na. It actually doesn't.

While viscerally it looks good, what it boils down to is hitting "slow-mo" button and cheesing enemies on a loop. It's the argument that dudes vid is making about "I want to be OP" and what you get is doing the same shit over and over actually not being creative because have no limitation to force diverse usage. It's just one, OP as **** mechanic.

Crysis does suffer from that somewhat, but the it's far more limited than Fear when it comes to uber power consumption. Can die pretty fast. Generally the player will alternate between them than just spamming one even if they are favoring one.

The one department i'd argue Crysis 2 improves upon is the enemies. Everything else sucks ass but the enemies are better.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Crysis 2 has better combat and alien fight actually. but everything step back but difference between Crysis 1 and 2 is not the difference between Deus Ex 1 and 2.

You're right. I retract my statement that warhead is better..

Eventhough Crysis 1 is flawed, it still has some of my favourite levels ever.

It's just that half Life 2 had some really good linear levels... and also some really good open levels.

Meanwhile Crysis 1 has good open levels, but it's crysis 2 that has really good linear levels.

And Crysis 3 failed to bring the best of both worlds.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:

VR completely fixes this.

Once play it VR never want to play the flatscreen version again.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

underrated?

Na. It actually doesn't.

While viscerally it looks good, what it boils down to is hitting "slow-mo" button and cheesing enemies on a loop. It's the argument that dudes vid is making about "I want to be OP" and what you get is doing the same shit over and over actually not being creative because have no limitation to force diverse usage. It's just one, OP as **** mechanic.

Crysis does suffer from that somewhat, but the it's far more limited than Fear when it comes to uber power consumption. Can die pretty fast. Generally the player will alternate between them than just spamming one even if they are favoring one.

The one department i'd argue Crysis 2 improves upon is the enemies. Everything else sucks ass but the enemies are better.

in Crysis when you shoot enemies. they dont react. they stand as statue. theres no gore, the gunplay is very simple.

In FEAR you shoot, enemies fly the gore appear. and shooting is actually fun. shooting is fun is why we play FPS. when shooting suck. no point of playing FPS unless its immersive sim with deep level design.

Crysis is console FPS disguised as PC FPS and people who bash console FPS that time give Crysis free pass for having all those elements. great!!.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k
@uninspiredcup said:

Gametrailer declared Modern Warfare 1 graphics king in 2007, because they hated PC gaming at the time and their floppy disk running dos PC probably blew up trying to run Crysis or some shit, I dunno, I don't work there.

Back in 2007 a lot of PC gamers got hyped because their hardware finally became tested, and Nvidia had released brand new GPUs in order to go up against Crysis: 8800GT and 8800 ultra if I remember correctly.

But I don't think anyone back then referred to it as a tech demo, it was still regarded as a game and the "can it run crysis" thing became a meme.

For years after, consolites were holding graphics king award and some PC gamer brought up Crysis because it always won. That is when "ignorant" consolites began using the term tech demo.

Then when Crysis 1 was ported to 360 and PS3 I distincly remember a lot of console fanboys dissing the game, calling it a tech demo, because they were so sick of PC Gamers proclaiming domination.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Yes, the headcrabs jump right at you.

I hope you can get your hands on Ep 1 and Ep 2 VR soon, and that I can get my hands on Alyx soon.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

You're right. I retract my statement that warhead is better..

Eventhough Crysis 1 is flawed, it still has some of my favourite levels ever.

It's just that half Life 2 had some really good linear levels... and also some really good open levels.

Meanwhile Crysis 1 has good open levels, but it's crysis 2 that has really good linear levels.

And Crysis 3 failed to bring the best of both worlds.

Crysis 3 is worst of all 3.

Crysis levels were good up until core level. that level was terrible and ruined the game. and every other level after that suck and feel like entire different game.

everything in Crsyis 2 is better than Crysis core to onwards.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Yes, the headcrabs jump right at you.

I hope you can get your hands on Ep 1 and Ep 2 VR soon, and that I can get my hands on Alyx soon.

Halflife 2 VR is better than Alyx.

Alyx is good, for sure. And the reason Halflife 2 VR is good, is specifically because it lifts from Alyx. But the gameplay in Halflife 2 suits VR so well it's not even funny. Vehicle sections obv not designed with it in mind, requires iron-stomach, but to me at least, it's unquestionably the best VR game now. Regardless of coming out in 2004.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:

Crysis 3 is worst of all 3.

Crysis levels were good up until core level. that level was terrible and ruined the game. and every other level after that suck and feel like entire different game.

everything in Crsyis 2 is better than Crysis core to onwards.

I love Crysis 2 because it's one of the best linear games, but I hate it because it's a terrible sequel to Crysis. Both in continuing the story, and in offering open ended levels.

You hate Crysis 1 because the gunplay sucks, I understand. But people love Crysis 1 because it gives you super hero powers, it gives you open ended levels and it gives you sandboxes.

Yes, the shooting isn't fun. But that is because people make their own fun, by abusing and using the systems that are in place.

You won't hear me complain about the shooting in Dishonored 1. I've never shot a gun in that game once, and I've five runs through that game. Which reminds me, I gotta replay Dishonored 1.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#20 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16576 Posts

crysis was a fantastic game, I beat all 3 games. Stalker sucked though.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ghosts4ever
@R4gn4r0k said:

You hate Crysis 1

@ghosts4ever said:

First off, I like Crysis.

I think Crysis is good 8/10 game (infact when i was younger it was 9/10 game but replayed it realized its flaws).

s

really? read again OP.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ghosts4ever

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

crysis was a fantastic game, I beat all 3 games. Stalker sucked though.

because STALKER is hardcore game. Crysis is pew pew casual game where you can be invisible anytime and health can regen any time lol.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1270 Posts

I liked both Crysis 1/Warhead and Stalker. Stalker needs to have the mods tho to be really enjoyable.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By R4gn4r0k
@ghosts4ever said:

really? read again OP.

I once again retract what I said, but see as it was: it was part of a sentence.

You strongly dislike Crysis' gunplay as stated here:

in Crysis when you shoot enemies. they dont react. they stand as statue. theres no gore, the gunplay is very simple.

In FEAR you shoot, enemies fly the gore appear. and shooting is actually fun. shooting is fun is why we play FPS. when shooting suck. no point of playing FPS unless its immersive sim with deep level design.

Crysis is console FPS disguised as PC FPS and people who bash console FPS that time give Crysis free pass for having all those elements. great!!.

I mean you called Crysis a console FPS so at that point I was convinced: he hates Crysis; But no biggie I'm retracting that statement.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

really? read again OP.

I once again retract what I said, but see as it was: it was part of a sentence.

You strongly dislike Crysis' gunplay as stated here:

I mean you called Crysis a console FPS so at that point I was convinced: he hates Crysis; But no biggie I'm retracting that statement.

1998 Half life had gore, the shooting much better, the enemy react bullets. 2007 Crysis eneimies and aliens remain statue, no gore.

I call Crysis console FPS because same reason

It has weapion limit, regen health, on rail segments. exact same thing in Crysis get free pass. if it was multiplat with lesser graphics but same gameplay. no one would care about Crysis.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k: Ghost makes strange arguments here.

Accusing Crysis of being a console game, when his fav game, Mafia is one of the progenitors for "movie games" like Uncharted, where mimicking a movie is at the forefront over game. Even has cinematic walking before it was normalized.

That and we have Crysis 2, when it actually is designed as a console game. The difference is night and day.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

@R4gn4r0k: Ghost makes strange arguments here.

Accusing Crysis of being a console game, when his fav game, Mafia is one of the progenitors for "movie games" like Uncharted, where mimicking a movie is at the forefront over game. Even has cinematic walking before it was normalized.

That and we have Crysis 2, when it actually is designed as a console game. The difference is night and day.

there is not night and day difference between both. only is C2 is more linear and more COD like. while C1 for first half is semi sandbox poorly and second half linear poorly done and rushed.

the actual difference between sequel is Deus Ex 1 and Deus Ex 2. from immersive sim with inventory and hub to mediocre corridor shooter with RPG elements and removal of inventory and hub.

thats actual dumbing down of gaming.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever: My freind your takes are imploding in' on themselves but I forgive you.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

@ghosts4ever: My freind your takes are imploding in' on themselves but I forgive you.

This is console FPS. released exclusively on xbox first then PC but its actually better than most of PC FPS that time.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10500 Posts

god that video lol.

the rest of the op is just the usual regurgitated bad takes you always post about crysis. regen health! on rails! cinematic! not "real pc game" (what does that even mean lol) 🥱😴 where's that "stop it, get some help" michael jordan gif when you need it

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghosts4ever

@Macutchi: bad take? Ok.

Crysis is immersive sim. Crysis have no weapon limit and you can store all weapon into inventory, Crysis have health bar, Crysis second half is sandbox and semi open. Its betttwe than Deus Ex, Half life, System shock 2, Quake and other old pc fps. Amazong.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Macutchi

@ghosts4ever: bad takes. plural

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8495 Posts

Only if you make 1,562,878,678,397,908 threads on this topic and sacrifice your first born in an eastern European jungle.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@pc_rocks: EA pay for high score for Crysis. Eastern european Stalker, Metro developers spent money on quality contents rather than marketing and paying to reviewers.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PC_Rocks

@ghosts4ever said:

@pc_rocks: EA pay for high score for Crysis. Eastern european Stalker, Metro developers spent money on quality contents rather than marketing and paying to reviewers.

I said threads not posts.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 uninspiredcup

@Macutchi said:

god that video lol.

I love that the big cheese, the big gotcha of the video is "It's not an open world game!" with some made up, fantatical community the world is yet to see. Like he's flipping over a table rocking everyone's perception of the game.

Even got that fucking, shitty, "enlightened" music you get from vidya game essays to show how deep he is.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@Macutchi said:

god that video lol.

I love that the big cheese, the big gotcha of the video is "It's not an open world game!" with some made up, fantatical community the world is yet to see. Like he's flipping over a table rocking everyone's perception of the game.

Even got that fucking, shitty, "enlightened" music you get from vidya game essays to show how deep he is.

Loading Video...

Gman also explain why this game is nothing special.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ghosts4ever

@pc_rocks said:
@ghosts4ever said:

then explain why Crysis getting free pass for having weapon limit, regen health and second half being linear and scripted.

Loading Video...

In this entire mission. the rushed mission, the final. you are doing nothing. but fighting badly design aliens which are not fun. in linear ship section.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Macutchi

@uninspiredcup: i know right, "it's not open world!!" arguing over a point that no-one ever made.

"the nano suit is fckin useless." moaning that the nano suit runs out of charge when its used lol.

"you can remap the controls which is one of the few good things i can say about this game." definitely a fair and objective assessment then.

and he claims his rig today can run crysis 3 maxed out but still cant run the first maxed out lol? and everyone was playing it on low settings back in 07? i was playing it just fine on my gtx8800. that was enough stupid for me at that point. i mean there are definitely legit criticisms to make about crysis but those are not them

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44624 Posts

Yes it's overrated, even its perceived sandbox design is rather moot the game still is very linear with its objectives. I've been saying that for years myself.

It is mostly just a tech demo beyond that it's an unremarkable shooter, the enemies are bland too. I much prefer Crysis 2 for its enemy design and better paced action. As far as this critic goes feeling the first game was a major letdown in terms of what the nanosuit can do, again here I feel this is something Crysis 2 does much better. You still have to disengage stealth before going loud and it's a juggle of using strength and stealth and pacing cooldowns, but it feels satisfying when you can flank enemies tear off a 50-cal placement and carey it around and mow everyone down with it.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PC_Rocks

@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:
@ghosts4ever said:

then explain why Crysis getting free pass for having weapon limit, regen health and second half being linear and scripted.

In this entire mission. the rushed mission, the final. you are doing nothing. but fighting badly design aliens which are not fun. in linear ship section.

Threads, my friend, threads.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#42 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Crysis deserves its reputation as a top-tier FPS, even if the later parts of the game aren't as good. The guns felt great, AI was pretty good, and the levels were just fantastic sandboxes to play around in with the Nano-suit or whatever it was called. I'd say it probably had/still has the best mechanics of any sandbox-style FPS given all the different ways you could approach encounters and how fun they all were.

Easily Crytek's best game.

I'd take Stalker over Crysis as well, but I think the relative MC ratings are totally fair. Stalker was pretty rough around the edges when it released, Crysis was quite polished and even had a decent MP mode if I recall

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ghosts4ever

@with_teeth26 said:

Crysis deserves its reputation as a top-tier FPS, even if the later parts of the game aren't as good. The guns felt great, AI was pretty good, and the levels were just fantastic sandboxes to play around in with the Nano-suit or whatever it was called. I'd say it probably had/still has the best mechanics of any sandbox-style FPS given all the different ways you could approach encounters and how fun they all were.

I'd take Stalker over Crysis as well, but I think the relative MC ratings are totally fair. Stalker was pretty rough around the edges when it released, Crysis was quite polished and even had a decent MP mode if I recall

but those sandbox gameplay was only for first half. second half sandbox level disappeared replace with linear level with fighting blue flying aliens which is not fun.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

Crysis did in fact embrace me to the world of PC in the first place, so of course I still love the games to this day...but not the Remasteres. It became overrated on its meme: Can it Run Crysis.

Still curious as to how Crysis 4 will turn out to be.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@davillain said:

Crysis did in fact embrace me to the world of PC in the first place, so of course I still love the games to this day...but not the Remasteres. It became overrated on its meme: Can it Run Crysis.

Still curious as to how Crysis 4 will turn out to be.

Either Crysis 4 will be best in series or dead on arrival.

Metro 4 is also coming.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39384 Posts

Extremely. Gameplay itself was super shallow and repetitive.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:

Extremely. Gameplay itself was super shallow and repetitive.

may not shallow but it was super casual. same PC gamers called Halo 1 casual when Crysis on hardest difficulty is even easier than Halo on heroic let alone legendary.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#48 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@with_teeth26 said:

but those sandbox gameplay was only for first half. second half sandbox level disappeared replace with linear level with fighting blue flying aliens which is not fun.

those first 6 missions though... I replayed the crap out of them

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Pretty much.

"omg the metascore!11!" looks more than fine.

But yeah, the whole tech demo myth has always been so stupid. Amazing how there's still a few holdouts sticking with it.

Had they continued to build on the good shit from Crysis1/Warhead, would have been one hell of a series.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 IMAHAPYHIPPO  Online
Member since 2004 • 4198 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I would hope more than 15 better FPS games have come out in the 16 years since Crysis released :p