What are some of your favorite flops in gaming?

• 61 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45408 Posts

I'll start off with the Nintendo Labo. For some reason Nintendo thought playing with cardboard would make a great gaming invention. Let's just say, it was forgotten as quickly as it was remembered lol. RIP Nintendo Labo. How about you, SW? What are some of your favorite flops in gaming?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44474 Posts

I’m going to assume that this means games that flopped that I enjoyed. Two off the top of my head are:

- Too Human

- Bionic Commando 2009

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2058 Posts

Forspoken and Redfall this year

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5285 Posts

Flops based on critical or based on commerical expectations?

Anyways, I do not have a favorite flop in gaming as I do not take pleasure in failure, even if a game-related product deserves to fail.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@Archangel3371 said:

I’m going to assume that this means games that flopped that I enjoyed. Two off the top of my head are:

- Too Human

- Bionic Commando 2009

Can be serious or sarcastic lol. Serious answer for me would be God of War Ascension, The Order 1886, Socom: Confrontation.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

Halo Infinite. Completely abandoned within weeks. Fans so unhappy with the game they closed down reddit. Game did so poorly they fired almost everyone at 343i. Best of it all is that after all of this, they're still in charge of the IP. WTF.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9836 Posts

@hardwenzen: Halo infinite is Lemwenzens favourite game. From the Cows lips, you heard it here first folks….

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sealionact

Titanfall 2…guess that flopped. One of the best SP campaigns ever. Ryse Son of Rome was fun, and some incredible visuals for the time.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371

Yeah Titanfall 2 was an excellent game. Real shame what happened with that game. I also quite enjoyed Ryse: Son of Rome as well. Would also put God Hand on my list. Great game that sold very poorly.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hardwenzen
@sealionact said:

@hardwenzen: Halo infinite is Lemwenzens favourite game. From the Cows lips, you heard it here first folks….

When you ask a person what is their favorite thing about Halo Infinite, i genuinely have no idea what could be even said. All characters, story, levels, set pieces, enemies design, and pretty much everything can be a game is so bad that i bet you people will mention the grapple hook like its this amazing new feature never seen in a video game. Bro, if you want to grapple hook around, go play Spidermand 2, a 90 metacritic game🤭

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371

Vanquish was another excellent game that unfortunately sold poorly.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70240 Posts

PSVR2 and PS Portal.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56347 Posts

PS Vita.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sealionact

@hardwenzen: Nice deflection, but you’ve been outed. Your favourite game is Halo.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 529 Posts

Midnight Suns bombed pretty bad and I freaking love that game.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sealionact

@davillain: Right? Still a gorgeous looking piece of hardware. Seen what they’re doing with PSP’s and Raspberry Pi’s these days?

https://youtu.be/PKXbAd7vXA4?si=ymViszZHUmkUBpZz

Edit; Whoops, read too fast. Vita’s were cool and all…but I loved my psp.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen

@sealionact said:

@hardwenzen: Nice deflection, but you’ve been outed. Your favourite game is Halo.

Don't put this fake 9/10 on my shoulders. Infinite will be remembered as top 3 biggest failures of this generation.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59285 Posts

I was rooting for this game.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts

Recently, Redfall. I played it for like 2 hours initially at launch, was trash. Game is significantly better now. I enjoyed it, that’s all that matters to me. I’ll definitely go back to it once some DLC comes out.

Saturn and Dreamcast both flopped and I enjoyed both.

Agent_Stroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Agent_Stroud
Member since 2020 • 541 Posts

@hardwenzen: Kinda hard for that to be the case when we have Gollum, Kong, and Quantum Error vying for the top three spots this generation, 🐮. 🤭

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen

@agent_stroud said:

@hardwenzen: Kinda hard for that to be the case when we have Gollum, Kong, and Quantum Error vying for the top three spots this generation, 🐮. 🤭

Noboby will remember low budget garbage. We're talking about highly anticipated titles that farted in fans face.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1181 Posts

Retro Game Challenge

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Last_Lap  Online
Member since 2023 • 6632 Posts

I enjoyed Ryse, the campaign was ok, but I really enjoy the MP portion of the game.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

On top of my head, probably Star Fox Assault. Scores were not great and most people didn't think highly of it. But I loved the damn thing.

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

The Xbox brand in general. 20 years of floppage

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44656 Posts

I had no interest in it, people made some cool stuff with Labo though, so, not knocking it. Gonna give Nintendo credit for some creative conviction. Same with Dreams, no interest, not going to knock it, love watching cool videos of things people can make with it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lamprey263

With recent release of Robocop Rogue City, I'm inclined to mention Teyon's previous game, Terminator Resistance.

This game got reamed hard when it released so I didn't give it any thought. Picked it up on sale for like $4 or $5 and absolutely loved it. And the game over time despite what MetaCritic says or the hate it gets has actually garnered a growing appreciation, enough to warrant upgrading the game to next gen systems (got a free upgrade on Series X recently). I didn't hesitate to grab Robocop Rogue City, Teyon has the creative conviction to make the games they wanted with the licenses they love, and it shows in their work they'll do justice with them, and not to placate the fickle minded mob of impossible to please full grown adults acting like children by making some formulaic trash.

And if you love the licenses these games come from, that's good enough reason to give them a shot. And there's really no point trying if you don't. They make these games for fans.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Solder of Fortune payback is one of my favourite games

I'm aware it flopped and it's actually terrible, like could make some lists for worst game ever.

But I played the crap out of that when it came out and loved it.

It's ages like milk as well but I still love it

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1925 Posts

For the most part, I don't enjoy failures. The only exception is the Steam Deck. I actually would've been sad about this flop, until Steam fans started talking out the side of their neck about Nintendo. After they did that, I was happy to see it flop.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58479 Posts

I'm going to assume that the term "flop" is sales-specific, and not necessarily a flop in the quality sense. In that regard, I'd have to say:

• Alpha Protocol. Pretty overlooked for the most part but honestly, a damn fine game once you get over the technical issues. Imagine a game made in the style of Mass Effect (action-RPG), but about modern-day spy and espionage...so Mass Effect but Bourne Identity, Mission Impossible, and James Bond.
  • Jade Empire. Martial arts epic with loads of cool Asian mythology made by the Bioware of yesteryear we all love. Did not sell well iirc despite decent, albeit not excellent, reviews.

Honestly most of the games I want to list are pretty niche so I don't know if they really qualify as a flop. I mean how many people are really hyped for a realistic Uboat sim other than sim fans such as myself?

@lamprey263 said:

With recent release of Robocop Rogue City, I'm inclined to mention Teyon's previous game, Terminator Resistance.

Yeah, I feel like gamers need to be more accepting of budget titles. We used to be, there were always "bargain bin" games you'd see at Office Depot and CompUSA and other stores, they weren't great but they were often quite fun for five dollars.

The quality has improved. Games like Terminator Resistance, Hard Reset, and stuff like that.

Not everything needs to be some masterpiece; sometimes "good enough" is exactly that, and often better than big-budget disappointments.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lamprey263

@mrbojangles25: yeah, it is a budget title but not in terms of being some crap shovelware, it's a game'y game and not some bloated 200 hour abomination padded with cookie cutter content. It's meant to be enjoyed, and they deliver. They have focused stories and the gameplay is designed to accommodate what people would want from a licensed game in those worlds.

I think there's also a big issue some people are impossible to please unless they know they've been given permission to like something. Gosh, I even remember a study done where they asked people to rate games they'd be given to play but the variable was they'd make up fake reviews that either say everyone loved it or everyone hated it and something in between. Basically people's opinions of the game's they played in the study echoed the fake user reviews. I've no doubt this is the case, I'd have assumed as much without such a study. Like the classic demotivator said (paraphrasing) "when given the opportunity to be unique free thinking individuals, we tend to only imitate each other".

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 14009 Posts

Okami

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sealionact

@randy_lahey: Woof. With you calling Xbox your favourite, and lemwenzen doing the same for Halo, Clown Alley residents finally converted to the better platform.

Or neither of you know how to read.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3745 Posts

The starfield flop was particularly funny.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1375 Posts

PlayStation 5.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11697 Posts

Alpha protocol, of course.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22877 Posts

@fedor said:

Wish that game was on steam....

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11697 Posts
@TheEroica said:
@fedor said:

Wish no more.

NVM they removed it lol, never knew that.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheEroica  Moderator

@fedor said:
@TheEroica said:
@fedor said:

Wish no more.

NVM they removed it lol, never knew that.

😭 Perfect game for my steam deck.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Halo Infinite. Completely abandoned within weeks. Fans so unhappy with the game they closed down reddit. Game did so poorly they fired almost everyone at 343i. Best of it all is that after all of this, they're still in charge of the IP. WTF.

But this isn't the case any more. The fans are happy with the single player.

And apparently Season 5 of multiplayer is really good. Fans are starting to gradually come back, but in small numbers. This isn't unusual for live service games to go through periods of being bad and then good. That's why one off reviews are pretty worthless. You need to look at how the game is year in and year out.

They also have access to a lot of help now with the ABK merger, considering ABK run a lot of live service games.

I know you love to hate on the game, but your views are really quite out of date now.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16590 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

@mrbojangles25: yeah, it is a budget title but not in terms of being some crap shovelware, it's a game'y game and not some bloated 200 hour abomination padded with cookie cutter content. It's meant to be enjoyed, and they deliver. They have focused stories and the gameplay is designed to accommodate what people would want from a licensed game in those worlds.

I think there's also a big issue some people are impossible to please unless they know they've been given permission to like something. Gosh, I even remember a study done where they asked people to rate games they'd be given to play but the variable was they'd make up fake reviews that either say everyone loved it or everyone hated it and something in between. Basically people's opinions of the game's they played in the study echoed the fake user reviews. I've no doubt this is the case, I'd have assumed as much without such a study. Like the classic demotivator said (paraphrasing) "when given the opportunity to be unique free thinking individuals, we tend to only imitate each other".

yep, people are sheep, follow what someone else says. You can't always do that...just remember, GS gave mortal kombat movie a 9 lol. Heck, they gave redfall a 4, but actually im enjoying it. I only recently started playing it, and sure its not the best, but definitely not the worst either.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11256 Posts

@sealionact said:

Titanfall 2…guess that flopped. One of the best SP campaigns ever. Ryse Son of Rome was fun, and some incredible visuals for the time.

I agree. A really good campaign that seemed like the series was going to take an upward turn. Hopefully a Titanfall 3 isn't just a red herring at this point

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#43 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts

Fallout: New Vegas

F-Zero GX

GameCube

Wii U

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:

Do you think MS should've delayed it one more year?

@davillain said:

PS Vita.

Bought that thing at launch! Had so much potential.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7277 Posts

Would say Wii u but Nintendo did support the consoles even though 3rd party didn't. The vita was dead on arrival.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3488 Posts

There's so many low scoring games that I truly love, some are amongst my GOATs.

The internet created this hive mind mentality that to me already crossed the line of being tolerable.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheEroica  Moderator

@davillain said:

PS Vita.

I loved the vita so much. What a library!! Crossbuy, cross play, amazing legacy library.... Incredible device, terrible leadership backing it. It was only in the end that it all came together, which sadly was far too late.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56347 Posts

@sealionact: @TheEroica: @SolidGame_basic: While I did come late to the world of PS Vita, I must say, the Vita is vastly a great handheld compared to Switch in respects. Heck, PS Vita is the only device you are able to play certain exclusives on such as Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Souls Sacrifice. Sony really doomed their own handheld into the void. PS Vita is a flop, but still a fun handheld no doubt.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8362 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I was rooting for this game.

Did you ever play it? lol

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8362 Posts

This game. I loved it so much I bought both the PC version and 360 version. One of the first cross play MP games. This game was declared trash by most game journos because it didn't have a SP campaign. It was a MP fps game with a Counter Strike set up (buy your equipment and skills throughout the match) it had awesome spells and tech equipments you could buy in a match. One of my favorite MP games of the gen. (I have never played shadowrun RPGS and don't have plans too, but I loved this game. That was another large source of hate, the rpg fans hated it lol)